The Future of Minnesota Youth AA Hockey?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

frederick61

The Future of Minnesota Youth AA Hockey?

Post by frederick61 »

My corner of the YHH take on AA hockey's future. It can be read at:

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/the-futur ... aa-hockey/
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

"All they're going to do is create a few Mega Programs that all the families will flock to" ~

Look for player movement to even double this year.

MNH is destroying MNH
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Very confused with your view of USA Hockey and their calendar year rule. Many USA Hockey programs still field their teams in 2 yr bands, they just use the calendar year, instead of July 1, to set the boundaries (example would be Pee Wees this year is comprised of all kids born in 2001 & 2002). MN Hockey could easily conform to this. It is true that there are AAA programs who have Major and Minor teams but the majority of AA programs in the region use the 2 yr band.

Your comment about MN Hockey expanding it's regional influence to get other Districts to go with the MN Hockey age band. Not sure that will happen. The Dakotas already follow the MN Hockey rules. Are you referring to Wisconsin? Wisconsin is in the Central District with Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois so I don't think they would be able to unilaterally change their age classification.

Besides, what competition are the Mega Associations going to pick up from out of state? Chicago, Detroit? You are already complaining that travel throughout the state will be a burden, so is the answer to mix in trips to Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and St Louis?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

MrBoDangles wrote:"All they're going to do is create a few Mega Programs that all the families will flock to" ~

MNH is destroying MNH
Bo you've been saying this for at least two years, and yet you never provide any evidence -- not even anecdotal -- that it is happening. Where are these masses of people moving from Armstrong Cooper and Crow River to Edina and Wayzata? Sibley to Eagan? Hermantown to Duluth East?

Where? Who? When?

District 3 had, oh, about... ZERO move-outs due to the AA/A split.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Very confused with your view of USA Hockey and their calendar year rule.
You and me both.

USA Hockey has two year bands for each age level. Without them it would be too hard to form teams in most of the country.
Be kind. Rewind.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Shinbone_News wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:"All they're going to do is create a few Mega Programs that all the families will flock to" ~

MNH is destroying MNH
Bo you've been saying this for at least two years, and yet you never provide any evidence -- not even anecdotal -- that it is happening. Where are these masses of people moving from Armstrong Cooper and Crow River to Edina and Wayzata? Sibley to Eagan? Hermantown to Duluth East?

Where? Who? When?

It's the BEST talent in the second tier associations that are moving out. It's changing the whole landscape from youth through high school.

Ask around.
goaliewithfoggedglasses

Post by goaliewithfoggedglasses »

Shinbone_News wrote:

MNH is destroying MNH

Where? Who? When?

Here's some evidence - to the contrary.

496 boys Squirt, Peewee, and Bantams in Edina last year. Of those, 7 were new to the association. 1 A (not AA), 2 B (Squirt), 2 B2, and 2C. 2 move ins from another metro association, 1 from another state, and the other 4 I believe already attended school in Edina but were previously playing for their resident association.

That's hardly massive movement, and not just top talent either. In fact I would say that's pretty small considering the size of the association. You would think there would be more from just normal organic change.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:

MNH is destroying MNH

Where? Who? When?

Here's some evidence - to the contrary.

496 boys Squirt, Peewee, and Bantams in Edina last year. Of those, 7 were new to the association. 1 A (not AA), 2 B (Squirt), 2 B2, and 2C. 2 move ins from another metro association, 1 from another state, and the other 4 I believe already attended school in Edina but were previously playing for their resident association.

That's hardly massive movement, and not just top talent either. In fact I would say that's pretty small considering the size of the association. You would think there would be more from just normal organic change.
What level will that "A" player play this year? AA Peewee would be a safe bet... Like Ediner needs more help.... Wasn't there a couple the year before, too? Smaller associations only have a couple guns like these and it changes their whole outlook when they lose them.

Plenty went to other associations since Edina would probably be a tough nut to crack.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:

MNH is destroying MNH

Where? Who? When?

It's the BEST talent in the second tier associations that are moving out. It's changing the whole landscape from youth through high school.

Ask around.
As a parent of A level kids, the last place I would bring my kid to play hockey would be one of these mega associations. Heck, would my kid even get to play? And would he even get a shot at playing high school? I don't understand why a parent would bring their kid there unless he was guaranteed a spot. Seriously!
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

MrBoDangles wrote:

Ask around.
I have. You are the only person so far making this claim. And it's always the same: Not even anecdotal evidence, just this wildly paranoid claim.

Are there really dozens and dozens of families picking up and moving their homes or disrupting their kid's education just to play AA hockey instead of A? Is MN Hockey suddenly becoming very lax about traditionally tough waiver rules? Every sign (except Bo's posts) point to an emphatic NO.

I agree with other posters on this: The last place I'd take my player would be to "one of these mega associations" where the politics is way tougher than the competition. Maybe if I had a job offer in Edina AND my kid was clearly a top 1% player.

Besides, everyone knows top-tier hockey happens in the summer now anyway, and players can go wherever they're good enough to play (within whatever mom and dad think is a reasonable drive -- just like AAA Tier 1 everywhere else in the country).
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Mite-dad wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: Bo you've been saying this for at least two years, and yet you never provide any evidence -- not even anecdotal -- that it is happening. Where are these masses of people moving from Armstrong Cooper and Crow River to Edina and Wayzata? Sibley to Eagan? Hermantown to Duluth East?

Where? Who? When?

Ask around.
As a parent of A level kids, the last place I would bring my kid to play hockey would be one of these mega associations. Heck, would my kid even get to play? And would he even get a shot at playing high school? I don't understand why a parent would bring their kid there unless he was guaranteed a spot. Seriously!
This is a very good point and you wonder how many people think this through. It's very difficult to gauge future ability based on how a young kid is playing now. What if they don't improve every year? What if they don't grow? Will the introduction of checking affect their game? Could you imagine if you did this and your kid didn't even make the High School team when he could have been a 1st or 2nd liner where he lives now? Up north Hermantown is the association that attracts the top talent, which is a credit to them. They actually have Mite level players open enrolling there. Seems like quite the gamble. An awful lot can happen in 8-9 years.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Great post Shin and Frog.

I have received texts from all over MN about this article, Freddie touched some serious nerves.

This post of his was like a piece of art. People have read into to it so many ways. One buddy sent me, "Thanks a lot...this is going to kill our chances of adding a "A" team next year in our association." Another said, "Freddie is nuts.." One guy who normally hates Freddie said, "that article was genius..."

I had no idea this was going to be such lightning rod of a post.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Great post Shin and Frog.

I have received texts from all over MN about this article, Freddie touched some serious nerves.

This post of his was like a piece of art. People have read into to it so many ways. One buddy sent me, "Thanks a lot...this is going to kill our chances of adding a "A" team next year in our association." Another said, "Freddie is nuts.." One guy who normally hates Freddie said, "that article was genius..."

It's an article about everything I warned about all last summer. :idea:

Shin, look ouside of Edina. The two nearest associations to me were hit very hard.

Tony, kinda seems like you're turning in to MNH's tool to get your way($)..... Maybe I'm wrong..?

Freddie has a pair and says what he feels is right.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Shin, look ouside of Edina. The two nearest associations to me were hit very hard.
Names? Associations? Total numbers? Heck, give me a district. I'd take your word for it. But I'm tired of taking your word for it.

Mites don't count.

If this is an actual thing, then let's get the facts out and let them be known. Until then, it's just hearsay.

You provide a name -- say a district director or an association president -- I'll make the call and we'll find out how many families are selling their homes or changing schools just for youth hockey.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

MrBoDangles wrote: Freddie has a pair and says what he feels is right.
Except that he's usually wrong. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

MrBoDangles wrote:

Tony, kinda seems like you're turning in to MNH's tool to get your way($)..... Maybe I'm wrong..?

Freddie's right about as often as people agree with you, Bo. Tony is a doer, you're a flamer.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Shinbone_News wrote:

MNH is destroying MNH

Where? Who? When?

What does "about" mean? Hopkins and a couple others took a huge hit.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Shinbone_News wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Names? Associations? Total numbers? Heck, give me a district. I'd take your word for it. But I'm tired of taking your word for it.

Mites don't count.

If this is an actual thing, then let's get the facts out and let them be known. Until then, it's just hearsay.

You provide a name -- say a district director or an association president -- I'll make the call and we'll find out how many families are selling their homes or changing schools just for youth hockey.
Tim Timm D10 612-961-9011
Michelle Merth D2 651-353-1111
D3.... knock yourself out.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

snyper12 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Freddie's right about as often as people agree with you, Bo. Tony is a doer, you're a flamer.
Tony's brown looks natural on your face...
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

[quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="Shinbone_News"][quote="MrBoDangles"]

[/quote]

Mites don't count.

You provide a name -- say a district director or an association president -- I'll make the call and we'll find out how many families are selling their homes or changing schools just for youth hockey.[/quote]

D3.... knock yourself out.[/quote]

I can tell you this much Irondale lost zero players due to the AA, A split and they are one of the smallest associations in district 10. I believe coon rapids and St Francis lost a few but none of those kids ended up on the top teams at the pee wee or bantam levels.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: Names? Associations? Total numbers? Heck, give me a district. I'd take your word for it. But I'm tired of taking your word for it.

Mites don't count.

I can tell you this much Irondale lost zero players due to the AA, A split and they are one of the smallest associations in district 10. I believe coon rapids and St Francis lost a few but none of those kids ended up on the top teams at the pee wee or bantam levels.
You must be missing some players because some ended up playing for top 10 teams at their level... And there were other associations that took even bigger hits.

Irondale (fortunate) probably would have lost players without the merge with St Francis....... Make sure you merge with someone again. :wink:
Bleed Maroon and Gold

[quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="Bleed Maroon and Gold"][quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="Shinbone_News"][quote="MrBoDangles"]

[/quote]

Mites don't count.

You provide a name -- say a district director or an association president -- I'll make the call and we'll find out how many families are selling their homes or changing schools just for youth hockey.[/quote]

I can tell you this much Irondale lost zero players due to the AA, A split and they are one of the smallest associations in district 10. I believe coon rapids and St Francis lost a few but none of those kids ended up on the top teams at the pee wee or bantam levels.[/quote]

You must be missing some players because some ended up playing for top 10 teams at their level... And there were other associations that took even bigger hits.

Irondale (fortunate) probably would have lost players without the merge with St Francis....... Make sure you merge with someone again. :wink:[/quote]

And what associations did these kids leave from and what associations did these players go to. I am 100% sure you wont name the associations since you never have.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote: I can tell you this much Irondale lost zero players due to the AA, A split and they are one of the smallest associations in district 10. I believe coon rapids and St Francis lost a few but none of those kids ended up on the top teams at the pee wee or bantam levels.

Irondale (fortunate) probably would have lost players without the merge with St Francis....... Make sure you merge with someone again. :wink:
And what associations did these kids leave from and what associations did these players go to. I am 100% sure you wont name the associations since you never have.

CR lost a PW goalie to Lakeville...due to family moving
CRBantamAcoach

Post by CRBantamAcoach »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote: Names? Associations? Total numbers? Heck, give me a district. I'd take your word for it. But I'm tired of taking your word for it.

Mites don't count.

CR lost zero Bantams in 2012
Lost one PW
Do you count squirts if the games don't count???
"Win at all costs only works for people with money"
Bleed Maroon and Gold

[quote="CRBantamAcoach"][quote="Bleed Maroon and Gold"][quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="Shinbone_News"][quote="MrBoDangles"]

[/quote]

Mites don't count.

I can tell you this much Irondale lost zero players due to the AA, A split and they are one of the smallest associations in district 10. I believe coon rapids and St Francis lost a few but none of those kids ended up on the top teams at the pee wee or bantam levels.[/quote]

CR lost zero Bantams in 2012
Lost one PW
Do you count squirts if the games don't count???[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying. I knew the Pee wee goalie moved to lakeville. I guess you could count squirts but they did not leave because of the AA, A split since that doesn't happen until Pee wee's