The fine line between disillusion and disenchanted

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

The fine line between disillusion and disenchanted

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Ran into an old friend this weekend who had some choice words about his playing days and his son's.

This post was the result.

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/the-fine- ... enchanted/

Enjoy,

TS
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

good insight
Be kind. Rewind.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Not really my words, they were his.

I just wrote them in sober English the next day...haha

The guy has played and coached at all levels, all over the world. I love running into him, he sees things much clearer than I do (not hard).
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Not really my words, they were his.

The guy has played and coached at all levels, all over the world. I love running into him, he sees things much clearer than I do (not hard).
Seems pretty ironic that you would put this into the same site that routinely builds up little kids as the second coming of Gretzky. No one adds more delusion to the parents of squirts and pee-wees than YHH because everyone else treats them with kid gloves because they are kids. It is why we don't do a squirt State Tourney, even lets play hockey lays off the rankings for squirts. You guys even go below the team level and talk individual squirt and even mite player names. How do you reconcile that with this article? It is like a cigarette company advertising about how bad cancer is.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

In my best John McEnroe voice, "you cannot be serious!"

:roll:
BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:In my best John McEnroe voice, "you cannot be serious!"

Seems like a valid question. You derisively write "the family thinks that their little superstar is a certain lock for Division I fame" while using the terms superstar or "the next big thing" when referring to an 8 and 9 years old seems a little hypocritical no?
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

royals dad wrote:

Seems pretty ironic that you would put this into the same site that routinely builds up little kids as the second coming of Gretzky. No one adds more delusion to the parents of squirts and pee-wees than YHH because everyone else treats them with kid gloves because they are kids. It is why we don't do a squirt State Tourney, even lets play hockey lays off the rankings for squirts. You guys even go below the team level and talk individual squirt and even mite player names. How do you reconcile that with this article? It is like a cigarette company advertising about how bad cancer is.
Agree
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

BluntInstrument wrote:

Seems like a valid question. You derisively write "the family thinks that their little superstar is a certain lock for Division I fame" while using the terms superstar or "the next big thing" when referring to an 8 and 9 years old seems a little hypocritical no?
Absolutely it's a valid question. You just featured an article calling a 9 year old kid, "The Next Big Thing," and also posted on here telling everybody about it. Seems pretty young for that kind of exposure and pressure. And now the latest article? In my best Doc Holliday voice, "It appears your hypocrisy knows no bounds."
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

The replay always showed that the umpire was right and McEnroe was being an spoiled brat (although it made for fun TV), yes I am serious and stop calling me Shirley.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

royals dad wrote:

I have to agree with Royals Dad on this one. Doesn't YHH goes as far as rank PW players? How about the recent article..."The next best thing: Chaz Lucius"? Enough said!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I saw a story about a phenom 5th grade basketball player on the national news not too long ago.

I can't believe the smut they put on there.... :wink:
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

Well Tony, looks like you will be EATing sh€% for a bit on this one.

Have a nice day. :D :o :lol: :P :x :shock: :roll:
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

I'll cut to the chase. Disillusion is not reporting on key events within youth hockey that have a direct impact, like YHH following up on the D2 $384,000 felony case where the guy only got 8 months and still $250,000 is lost in that association. Most businesses would be out of business under that management...but we get to constantly read about the up and coming super squirts.

Disenchanted: continuing to read about how YHH is posturing 10-12 year olds when the time capsules of possible state tourney outcomes has not been completed within the HS hockey forum. It's like a good book, just can't put it down.
roundhead

Tony

Post by roundhead »

Very Valid... but please don't question Tony... he doesn't enjoy it.

And as far as Fred... just disregard 60-70% of his efforts as that's about how accurate his "recollections" are and his subsequent "reportings" on them. I tried to correct him on an issue and he assured me he was right... Well he was talking about my Son, and I was there TOO! Yet he still maintained the accuracy of HIS "Recollection"? :(

Before anyone goes all "HISSY" about this... I appreciate what these two do for Youth Hockey in the state. I just wish they would recognize their efforts as more of their own "Opinion" and not so much FACT, and much of what they say would be much easier to swallow.
we're all crazy

Post by we're all crazy »

Tony/YHH-

Keep up the good work!

I appreciate and enjoy a portion of the work that you do. I pay nothing for it, nor have I been promised to receive anything from it.

If/when you publish an article or statement that I don't find enjoyable or informative, I will ignore it. If/when you publish an article or statement that I enjoy, I may decide to read it multiple times. Heck, I may even decide to forward it to a friend who will also pay nothing for it and receive nothing from it.

If I'm looking for something to complain about, I'll stick to the weather, the government, or my kids' education.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

we're all crazy wrote:Tony/YHH-

Keep up the good work!

I appreciate and enjoy a portion of the work that you do. I pay nothing for it, nor have I been promised to receive anything from it.

If/when you publish an article or statement that I don't find enjoyable or informative, I will ignore it. If/when you publish an article or statement that I enjoy, I may decide to read it multiple times. Heck, I may even decide to forward it to a friend who will also pay nothing for it and receive nothing from it.

If I'm looking for something to complain about, I'll stick to the weather, the government, or my kids' education.
Speaking of irony, you wont post a complaint about a bad article on a web page but you will post a complaint about a complaint about an ironic article on a web page.
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

Here is my beef. The guy writes a good article. Actually one of his best. But he gets all pissy when someone criticizes him for being a hyporcrite.

His britches are gettin' a little tight I think.
MrBoDangles

Re: The fine line between disillusion and disenchanted

Post by MrBoDangles »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Ran into an old friend this weekend who had some choice words about his playing days and his son's.

This post was the result.

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/the-fine- ... enchanted/

Enjoy,

TS
It will all make sense when you understand that this was someone other than Tony's opinion.. Maybe he agreed with some of it, maybe he didn't? Even all the jokers in the liberal media disagree sometimes,, but still air a story.
snyper12

Post by snyper12 »

we're all crazy wrote:Tony/YHH-

Keep up the good work!

=D>
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

A response from the actual source would be nice, other than the other bloviating posters.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

I'd hate to bloviate on this topic, so I won't.

YHH writes about youth hockey. Our intent is to promote the game (teams, leagues, scores, etc). We write stories that people want to read. And we do it because we enjoy it.

And yes, it is our intent to be paid something for it, much it is the intent for people to play sports for a living, teach school, etc and be paid something to do it.

In order to be paid something for it, we write stories that people will want to read and attract advertisers who pay for space on our site. I think we do it in a fun and positive way. In three short years, we have written hundreds of stories and provided timely news, scores, rankings and SOME editorial when we see it necessary.

This story was an adaptation of a conversation I had with a guy who has played and coached all over the world and gave me his perspective on youth hockey/sports. I shared it. The story has been one of the most read in the history of the site (a distant second to Fargo Pin Gallery).

I simply replied "You cannot be serious..." because our site is a blatant glorification of future Gretzky's (disillusion)...but it is also smart for us to cover those scenarios that involve disenchantment, too.

Can you make a case of hypocrisy? Sure. But before you throw stones, check your glass house, brother. Especially if you live in a glass house with an unlisted/anonymous address.

I challenge any reader of this board to an in-person meeting about our content and I always respect the wishes of parents of removing a story about their child (which has never happened).

Bloviatingly,

Tony
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:I'd hate to bloviate on this topic, so I won't.

YHH writes about youth hockey. Our intent is to promote the game (teams, leagues, scores, etc). We write stories that people want to read. And we do it because we enjoy it.

And yes, it is our intent to be paid something for it, much it is the intent for people to play sports for a living, teach school, etc and be paid something to do it.

In order to be paid something for it, we write stories that people will want to read and attract advertisers who pay for space on our site. I think we do it in a fun and positive way. In three short years, we have written hundreds of stories and provided timely news, scores, rankings and SOME editorial when we see it necessary.

This story was an adaptation of a conversation I had with a guy who has played and coached all over the world and gave me his perspective on youth hockey/sports. I shared it. The story has been one of the most read in the history of the site (a distant second to Fargo Pin Gallery).

I simply replied "You cannot be serious..." because our site is a blatant glorification of future Gretzky's (disillusion)...but it is also smart for us to cover those scenarios that involve disenchantment, too.

Can you make a case of hypocrisy? Sure. But before you throw stones, check your glass house, brother. Especially if you live in a glass house with an unlisted/anonymous address.

I challenge any reader of this board to an in-person meeting about our content and I always respect the wishes of parents of removing a story about their child (which has never happened).

Bloviatingly,

Tony
Tony,

Internet message boards and forums are pretty consistently anonymous. That's the world we live in. YOU choose to promote your publication on an anonymous site. To me, calling these posters out for in person meetings is the real hypocrisy.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I can't believe how you guys are getting on somebody who provides content about something we are all interested in. Maybe Tony should just close up shop and then we'd have nothing to read.

As for the article, I could really care less. I read it and my first reaction was talk to me in a couple years after the kid reaches puberty. If the kid's parents are ok with the story than it's really none of my business. Frankly, I don't see how this story is any different than a small hometown newspaper doing a story on the 10 yr old who is lighting up the league, or about a 9 yr old who raised the state fair blue ribbon pig, or...you get my point, those types of stories happen all the time.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Are there really mite and squirt rankings out there? And does someone really rank individual players at that age?

If so what disillusional parent started that.
Teamusa1980

Post by Teamusa1980 »

Keep on keeping on Tony! Any/every kids success SHOULD be celebrated regardless of age. From where I sit there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving props to a 10 yr old. Live in the now not the future. For many kids their moment in the sun may only come when they are 10. Every article I have personally read on YHH about a specific player also included their academics, other sport achievements and positive impact on their community. Bottom line.... don't like it, don't read it!