Hunting and Hockey

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Is hunting a resonable excuse to miss a hockey GAME/Tournament?

Yes it is ok to miss for hunting.
45%
No they are at the point they need to make a commitment.
37%
Depends on other factors
18%

Total votes: 38

JSR

Post by JSR »

helightsthelamp wrote:
JSR wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote: I think we are on the same page? So as bluntly as I can say it, if not ok to change/not hold for a MN Hockey event, then shouldn't be changed/not scheduled for deer hunting opener. I may have felt differently in years past, but this year given no consideration for hockey event, then no consideration should be given for other events such as deer hunting. Bitter? Yes! LOL My opinion is very much based upon the aforementioned "hypothetical" events that have seem come full circle.
I see where you are coming from but I do still think it's different because I think when it comes to things like deer hunting etc... that is or atleast can and should be a "team" decision... where as the aforementioned "hypothetical" event was an association and MN Hockey deal where the coaches and team members really had no say, or atleast their say was ignored but higher authorities, for the scheduling of a tourney the coaches and parents really have most all of the say and the higher authorities tend to stay out of it.... I get where you are coming from but I do think they are different for that reason
Difference of opinion makes the world go around! I understand your point, but to a 14 year old, they don't break it down quite like that... In my hypothetical world, the 6 kids effected will all be on one team! :)

Since this is a public forum, my intent is not to bash the assocation. Way more hypothetical information not for distribution to the public that effects my opinion. I will just leave it at that!
Fair enough
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Other tournament weekends will be there.

Opening deer camp weekend with grandfathers in their late 70's and other family won't always be.

Tournaments on opener weekend are for those metro sexual types. :D
woodstick

Post by woodstick »

Thoughts? Move up north where the majority of associations have more active hunting. Otherwise, live with the fact you live/play in a association that doesn't take deer hunting opener into consideration and schedules a tourney and make the commitment to playing.
nahc

Post by nahc »

This just happens to be about deer hunting. Family/friends should always be top priority. Believe it or not, competative hockey is not the end all goal for each skater. Kids/young men are supposed to enjoy the sport and not have to make "choices" concerning a single weekend tourney. Play without the skater..........the sun will still come up in the morning......!!
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

To the duck hunter- No, he should absolutely not ask his hockey coach for the weekend off. He should be asking his football coach for the weekend off.

To the guy who thinks shooting deer is bad - Congrats, you have someone else slaughter an innocent animal so you can eat it. Props to you folks that kill some of your own meat, that, in fact, is better for you than what you buy at the store.

To all you who think hockey should come over anything - Get a life!

To schedulers statewide - Don't schedule a tournament on deer opener weekend whether your association is putting it on or not.

Any coach that wouldn't let a kid go hunting, fishing, skiing, etc., etc. with family is an idiot. Obviously there must be a level of commitment, but come on.

When I was a kid, I wouldn't miss a deer opener or duck opener, and I let my coaches know it. You know what, it didn't make any difference in our seasons. In fact, My buddy and I even asked my D1 college baseball coach for time off in the fall for duck hunting and he let us go.

Sometimes a weekend off of hockey or any sport is good for a kid. They need breaks and can be a better player in the long run because of it. And then there is the whole family tradition thing. Most important thing of all. Those early hunting/fishing years are when a kid gets hooked and it becomes their own tradition. Hockey shouldn't impact that for any family tradition.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

Well Said!!
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6x29TfeI6E

How can you deny a kid this experience!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

=D>
whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy »

I played 9th grade football,, we had a football game on the duck opener, 11 of the starting 22 players went hunting, coaches were blistered and didnt play us again for the next two games,, well come 10th grade thru 12 grade 9 of those 11 players never came out for football again,,,, Kinda of had the Phil Robertson thing going on,, Somethings can just wait, there are plenty of other days for hockey or football
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Ted Nugent Rules!!
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

whockeyguy wrote:I played 9th grade football,, we had a football game on the duck opener, 11 of the starting 22 players went hunting, coaches were blistered and didnt play us again for the next two games,, well come 10th grade thru 12 grade 9 of those 11 players never came out for football again,,,, Kinda of had the Phil Robertson thing going on,, Somethings can just wait, there are plenty of other days for hockey or football
How many days are you finding for football these days?
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Most kids will only get 6-9 years to play competitive hockey; pick a different day to hunt and let them play. They'll live to be 100, which will give them 88 years to decide to sit on their butts for 14 hours waiting for a deer to walk by on opening day. Hopefully, they get an opportunity to complain about having to hunt the 3rd weekend because their kids and grandkids have an event planned for opening weekend. If you love to hunt, you'll love it the next weekend, as well.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDZwFv7c10I

You'll never see a video of an emotional guy thinking about an old squirt tournament. Probably wouldn't even remember the squirt tournament.

:idea:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

InigoMontoya wrote:Most kids will only get 6-9 years to play competitive hockey; pick a different day to hunt and let them play. They'll live to be 100, which will give them 88 years to decide to sit on their butts for 14 hours waiting for a deer to walk by on opening day. Hopefully, they get an opportunity to complain about having to hunt the 3rd weekend because their kids and grandkids have an event planned for opening weekend. If you love to hunt, you'll love it the next weekend, as well.
Opening weekend is all that is asked. Would be able to understand the metro sexuals after that.

:lol:
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

InigoMontoya wrote:Most kids will only get 6-9 years to play competitive hockey; pick a different day to hunt and let them play. They'll live to be 100, which will give them 88 years to decide to sit on their butts for 14 hours waiting for a deer to walk by on opening day. Hopefully, they get an opportunity to complain about having to hunt the 3rd weekend because their kids and grandkids have an event planned for opening weekend. If you love to hunt, you'll love it the next weekend, as well.
I didn't start hunting deer until 10h grade. Looking back, I don't wish I'd played more basketball, football or baseball, but I do wish I'd have hunted more. Good grief, it's two days! Is it really going to effect the development of the player or team that much?!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

If a kid is hunting the other kids get more ice. How can that hurt team development ???
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Mite-dad wrote:
I didn't start hunting deer until 10h grade. Looking back, I don't wish I'd played more basketball, football or baseball, but I do wish I'd have hunted more. Good grief, it's two days! Is it really going to effect the development of the player or team that much?!
Seems to me that you get the opportunity to hunt more.
The kids that love to play hockey, or baseball, or in the marching band should be allowed to experience that while they have the chance. If they don't love hockey, then by all means, go stand in the woods for 8 hours.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Opening weekend is all that is asked. Would be able to understand the metro sexuals after that.

:lol:
We used to have the tradition of trekking out to the tree farm on the Friday after Thanksgiving to cut down a Christmas tree. The kids got busy, so rarely does that happen on Friday anymore, but it still happens. I don't think my kids will rue their childhood because they didn't cut down the tree until the first weekend of December.
JSR

Post by JSR »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
The kids that love to play hockey, or baseball, or in the marching band should be allowed to experience that while they have the chance. If they don't love hockey, then by all means, go stand in the woods for 8 hours.
You knid of missed the point f the thread IMHO... If a kid would RATHER play hockey and tells his parents as much then he should play hockey. BUT alot of these kids would RATHER be hunting, and many feel like coaches will punish them because of it. They like hockey and they want to play it but if they'd rather go hunting for a mere opening weekend they need to ebe able to do so without reprecussions from coaches or otehr families.

Honestly, we have a similar situation going on right now. My sons bantam coach has practice scheduled for Halloween night from 6:45-7:30pm (dryland) and 8:00-9:20pm on ice.... It's Halloween, and I don't know how it is for others but Halloween is abig deal in our small town and it's a big deal for the kids all the way through high school.... The kdis are held to a different standard at higher levels of hockey and I get that, but they are only kids once and it's freaking Halloween.... Hoping the coach will come around.....
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

High School kids in Wisconsin go trick or treating? That actually explains a lot.
JSR

Post by JSR »

edgeless2 wrote:High School kids in Wisconsin go trick or treating? That actually explains a lot.
Well first of all remember most bantams down here are NOT high school kids. Our age cutoff is different so most of them are 7th and 8th graders or said another way (most of them are 13 years old give or take).... Secondly Halloween is more than trick or treating.... I still enjoy Halloween as an adult.... guess we know who got excluded as a kid... :roll:
helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp »

JSR wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:High School kids in Wisconsin go trick or treating? That actually explains a lot.
I still enjoy Halloween as an adult.... :roll:
I enjoy it as an adult as well.... Open the door and a hot mom is standing there!!! :lol: Exactly the issue with lack of comittment, deer hunting, now halloween.. What next?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

JS- Do they dress up as Bucky ??? : :lol:
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

InigoMontoya wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
Not really true. Deer season is 9 days of which we are only talking about 2 days. Hockey season is what, anywhere from 6-12 months depending on the player/parent.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

JSR wrote:
Well first of all remember most bantams down here are NOT high school kids. Our age cutoff is different so most of them are 7th and 8th graders or said another way (most of them are 13 years old give or take).... Secondly Halloween is more than trick or treating.... I still enjoy Halloween as an adult.... guess we know who got excluded as a kid... :roll:
Ouch you got me there! Just tell your coach your part of an occult and since it's a religious holiday, I'm pretty sure those are excused absences!