Goalie Shortage

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HSHF Fan

Goalie Shortage

Post by HSHF Fan »

Our SE Metro Association has a goalie shortage at all levels. Doesn't seem to be an issue at other associations. Wondering what other associations are doing to create a goalie culture (ie discounts, free gear, etc.)

Also we are in immediate need for a peewee and bantam goalie to round out the teams. PM should there be a desire or know of an athlete to consider.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

Goalies aren't easy to get....

We do the following - provide pads mite through squirts to those who don't want to buy them.

$250 per year towards new equipment for Peewee/12u and up. $400 towards clinics.

Still can be hard to get enough goalies.
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

I would start with these questions 1st.

#1: do you have a dedicated coach on each youth team to work with goalies?

#2: do you have a dedicated coach on each youth team to work with defensemen and skaters?

#3: do your coaches actually do things in practice with goalie in mind, or are they just targets?

#4: why would I want to be a kid who the coaches ignore all practice, dont attempt to develop, and dont learn how to develop?

Pretty simple. Associations who dont care about goalies beyond "stop the puck" will have a shortage of quality goalies. The quality ones they will have will be from the random parent who is willing to drop additional $$$ to have someone outside the association.

Just my 2 cents.