World Hockey Invite - Chicago

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

World Hockey Invite - Chicago

Post by O-townClown » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Revolution 2004 tied the #1 team in the nation today, 2-2.

I'm hearing these are Minnesota kids from Miracle Gold program. Is entire team kids that have defected associations, or do they have kids from other states.

Any Iowans?
Be kind. Rewind.

helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 am

Yes they are Minnesota kids. Many are from Miracle Gold 04 team.

helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 am

Elk river bantam AA results at U16 level

OC hockey 3
ER 1
EN

Omaha AAA 5
ER 5

MI Ice hawks 2
ER 4

Second after pool play

Sweet 16 game
JR Hurricans 5
ER 4

Great experience for the team competing in all games at the middle level of U16!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Revolution runner-up. Lost 5-0 in the final to the team they tied 2-2 in pool play.
Be kind. Rewind.

we're all crazy

Post by we're all crazy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:41 am

Seems like this program is off to a very nice start. From their website, it looks like the 99 and 00 teams are competitive. I'm curious if they're fielding teams at the other birthyears.(?)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 pm

How did the 99's do ?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 pm

helightsthelamp wrote:Elk river bantam AA results at U16 level

OC hockey 3
ER 1
EN

Omaha AAA 5
ER 5

MI Ice hawks 2
ER 4

Second after pool play

Sweet 16 game
JR Hurricans 5
ER 4

Great experience for the team competing in all games at the middle level of U16!
Please tell me this isn't the Omaha team that the Minnesota kids left for....

Slipped in the crease

Post by Slipped in the crease » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Please tell me this isn't the Omaha team that the Minnesota kids left for....

It's a U15 team.

The Omaha team that Minnesota kids left for, lost to Honeybaked 2-1, in an abbreviated game. From the reports I got, It coulda went both ways.

Honeybaked went on to win the tourney 4-0 over Chicago Mission.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Slipped in the crease wrote:Please tell me this isn't the Omaha team that the Minnesota kids left for....

It's a U15 team.

The Omaha team that Minnesota kids left for, lost to Honeybaked 2-1, in an abbreviated game. From the reports I got, It coulda went both ways.

Honeybaked went on to win the tourney 4-0 over Chicago Mission.
To further clarify, the Elk River kids were playing in the "AAA" division in the World Hockey Invite tournament,not the top division, so to put it in spring hockey terms, Elk River was playing "Open Level" whereas the Omaha U16 team was playing Invite level, if that makes sense... Omaha did fantastic making it to the quarter finals in the Elite Division, they are one of the top 5 teams in the nation at U16. They lost to Honeybaked 2-1 in the quarterfinals, Honeybaked as mentioned above went on to win the whole tourney, defeating #2 ranked Team Wisconsin in the semis and the MIssion in the finals........ Elk River finished second in their pool of their division of the tourney, they finished second to Omaha's U15 team, did not advance to the quarter finals and lost to the Jr Hurricanes out of NC in a consolation game

Lecroixwhl

More Clarification

Post by Lecroixwhl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Actually Omaha is ranked #2 in the country and Honey Baked is ranked #1. Rankings come out every Wednesday.

WI is ranked #4. Yes you can argue about the top 10-20 teams, but from my viewings in the age group, HB and Omaha are the cream of the crop so far.

www.myhockeyrankings.com

Omaha & HB met in the QTR finals in a strange twist where the QTR final and Semi Final games were only (2) 15 min. periods long? I'm assuming because the way the tournament was set up the teams that advanced to the Championship would have to play 3 games in a little over 8 hours? It was a great game with lots of top end talent on both teams. Both teams new this going in, so no big deal, just strange.

This Tournament had the top 4 teams in the country all on one side of the bracket to help the chances of the Chicago Mission (Host Team) reach the finals. They did and lost to Honey Baked 4-0. Don't have a problem with that, that's what most host teams do. Plus you never know. The Mission is a good team as well.

JSR

Re: More Clarification

Post by JSR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Lecroixwhl wrote:Actually Omaha is ranked #2 in the country and Honey Baked is ranked #1. Rankings come out every Wednesday.

WI is ranked #4. Yes you can argue about the top 10-20 teams, but from my viewings in the age group, HB and Omaha are the cream of the crop so far.

www.myhockeyrankings.com

Omaha & HB met in the QTR finals in a strange twist where the QTR final and Semi Final games were only (2) 15 min. periods long? I'm assuming because the way the tournament was set up the teams that advanced to the Championship would have to play 3 games in a little over 8 hours? It was a great game with lots of top end talent on both teams. Both teams new this going in, so no big deal, just strange.

This Tournament had the top 4 teams in the country all on one side of the bracket to help the chances of the Chicago Mission (Host Team) reach the finals. They did and lost to Honey Baked 4-0. Don't have a problem with that, that's what most host teams do. Plus you never know. The Mission is a good team as well.
My bad on rankings, I know how they work and where to find them, I was going off of memory and Team Wisconsin is #2 at the U18 age group, just got confused but yes Omaha is and has been #2 at U16 for a few weeks now that you mention it. .... and yes the tourney stacks the deck in favor of the Mission every year :wink: ..... As for the 2 period deal, this is how the tourney has always done it because of the fact that teams may have to play three games in a day on Sunday so they shorten the quarter finals to two periods and they do it for the Semifinals as well.... Never the less great competition all the way around

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:37 pm

In Mn we play three periods !!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by old goalie85 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm

old goalie85 wrote:In Mn we play three periods !!!
6-7 games in 3 days is a little much... even for EXTREMELY well conditioned teams.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:00 pm

It was a Joke.