How much is too much?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

old goalie85 wrote:My kids would eat ice cream for dinner if I let them. COME ON!!!! :roll:
right ... kind of my argument. (In a much more rudimentary fashion :P)
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

In my experience and opinion, the best hockey players anywhere under 10u level are the best SKATERS. We had our kids on the (mostly free) ice constantly from an early age. As they got older I drove and wrote checks in equal amount to the pucks they shot against my garage doors. (Well, I guess replacing those was an unanticipated expense. Live and learn...
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

old goalie85 wrote:My kids would eat ice cream for dinner if I let them. COME ON!!!! :roll:
Completely missed the point.

It's not about letting them do whatever they want.

It's about asking them what their opinions/thoughts are.

Parents like these clowns do neither, as it's all about them, something they can brag about at the cocktail party that week...........about a seven year old.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

puckbreath wrote:
Completely missed the point.

It's not about letting them do whatever they want.

It's about asking them what their opinions/thoughts are.

Parents like these clowns do neither, as it's all about them, something they can brag about at the cocktail party that week...........about a seven year old.
ah yes, that's the less rudimentary way to say it.

Well stated.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

Bingo!

Why do you think Bernie offers an Adult XXL Machine jacket? It's not for the 01-05 skater...

(it's for the moms)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

puckbreath wrote:Parents like these clowns do neither, as it's all about them, something they can brag about at the cocktail party that week...........about a seven year old.
Thing is, the article almost goes out of its way to say that these parents aren't the types who are going to cocktail parties. The byline mentions a "modest" house and an "aging Ford Taurus" out front, and it talks about the financial decisions they're trying to make...

...and in a way, that almost might be more worrisome. Is this really what they think they need to do to keep up?
dlow

Post by dlow »

@hockeytweet wrote:Bingo!

Why do you think Bernie offers an Adult XXL Machine jacket? It's not for the 01-05 skater...

(it's for the moms)

Hilarious...as a coach I'm often amused with the clearly out of shape parents and some other coaches who love to scream at the kids to go harder. Half these people wouldn't make it 10 minutes into a squirt practice without collapsing. I'm betting the parents in the article are not/were not world class athletes...trying to make up for something
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

karl(east) wrote:
puckbreath wrote:Parents like these clowns do neither, as it's all about them, something they can brag about at the cocktail party that week...........about a seven year old.
Thing is, the article almost goes out of its way to say that these parents aren't the types who are going to cocktail parties. The byline mentions a "modest" house and an "aging Ford Taurus" out front, and it talks about the financial decisions they're trying to make...

...and in a way, that almost might be more worrisome. Is this really what they think they need to do to keep up?
Cocktail party, bar-b-que, whatever 8)

Agreed with your other points.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

While I'm on record he saying I don't think the parents are correct with what they are doing I a willing to draw the line. Some here are saying they do it so they can brag, etc. I don't think so. It sounds like they sacrifice an awful lot. I doubt they even have time for a social life to take in a party.

There are so many neglected children in this country. We shouldn't lose sight of that. These aren't bad people just misguided.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

SCBlueLiner wrote:While I'm on record he saying I don't think the parents are correct with what they are doing I a willing to draw the line. Some here are saying they do it so they can brag, etc. I don't think so. It sounds like they sacrifice an awful lot. I doubt they even have time for a social life to take in a party.

There are so many neglected children in this country. We shouldn't lose sight of that. These aren't bad people just misguided.

I don't think they're bad people either.

Just wacko, nut jobs.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

The first warning sign is that they agreed to give a reporter access into their lives to do a story on intense training for a 7-year-old girl playing a team sport.
Be kind. Rewind.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

Paying the membership dues to USA and MN hockey should have been the first alternative distraction listed, now they need focus on what is best for "their" situation in the future without being distracted by clowns. Good luck.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Of course it is a not a sure thing, but this little girl will have BETTER chance to make it to the highest level in hockey.

So long her parents would not push her over the edge and allow her to fail, she will be fine.

You guys might need to eat your own words when Sara becomes the next Gigi Marvin in 15 years. :lol: :lol: But 15 years is long way to go for her and her parents ... a lot of things can change. :) :)
observer

Post by observer »

A couple of things,

As mentioned, there are a lot of players and families doing as much or more as her.

As someone who has done a lot of coaching, in a few sports, I always look at the parents of young players. An overweight mom and a dad with a pocket protector and it ain't gonna happen. Ultimately, with hard work, it's 90% genetics.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

observer wrote: An overweight mom and a dad with a pocket protector and it ain't gonna happen. Ultimately, with hard work, it's 90% genetics.
Pocket protectors are a sign of genetic disadvantage? Are you trying to say that the child of a nerd + a BBW could never make it past Bantams?

I think maybe you need a refresher course on genetics. Somehow I doubt whether every dad of an NHLer is a hipster and every mom is a supermodel.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Ive seen some Mothers of NFL RB/DB/QB/ that were big ladies !!!! These are some good athletes. LeBron James' mother ?????? :roll:
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

observer wrote:A couple of things,

As mentioned, there are a lot of players and families doing as much or more as her.

As someone who has done a lot of coaching, in a few sports, I always look at the parents of young players. An overweight mom and a dad with a pocket protector and it ain't gonna happen. Ultimately, with hard work, it's 90% genetics.
I guess thinking locally I can digest this theory but globally not placing our Prez on a NBA team leaves me questioning its merit considering his mother...but it all is starting to make sense.
legalbeagle05

I know the family and...

Post by legalbeagle05 »

I know the family and what the Star Tribune editors so carefully decided to leave out was that their daughter takes a lot of breaks - long breaks in the summer and winter, also plays tennis and swims, and now wants to learn golf. They also decided to pick the busiest week of the four months they had followed them - imagine that. Anything to stir up controversy.

The parents - who aren't nuts at all, very nice, laid back folks - were told the article was going to be on finances in youth sports, and were referred by a friend who works at the paper. Then it came out and it was all about "how much is too much" and over-training. Now they are getting slammed and their kid is getting made fun of.

And "the icing on the cake"? That was said in reference to their new possible home that is only a half mile from the training place their daughter goes to - which isn't even a sure thing. NOT the "Edina hockey system."

Their daughter is a good little skater. I don't know if they have pocket protectors...
puckbreath

Re: I know the family and...

Post by puckbreath »

legalbeagle05 wrote:I know the family and what the Star Tribune editors so carefully decided to leave out was that their daughter takes a lot of breaks - long breaks in the summer and winter, also plays tennis and swims, and now wants to learn golf. They also decided to pick the busiest week of the four months they had followed them - imagine that. Anything to stir up controversy.

The parents - who aren't nuts at all, very nice, laid back folks - were told the article was going to be on finances in youth sports, and were referred by a friend who works at the paper. Then it came out and it was all about "how much is too much" and over-training. Now they are getting slammed and their kid is getting made fun of.

And "the icing on the cake"? That was said in reference to their new possible home that is only a half mile from the training place their daughter goes to - which isn't even a sure thing. NOT the "Edina hockey system."

Their daughter is a good little skater. I don't know if they have pocket protectors...
That type of "journalistic" behavior definitely sounds believable; they do that kind of crap all the time.

Thanks for the info.