PP or PK

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PP or PK?

Power Play
14%
Penalty Kill
86%

Total votes: 14

black sheep

PP or PK

Post by black sheep »

so your youth team is allowed (or choses) to work on only one....which do you chose and why?
Last edited by black sheep on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSR

Re: PP or PK

Post by JSR »

black sheep wrote:so your youth team is allowed to work on only one....which do you chose and why?
How old are they? If they are mites I work on neither.... If they are squirts I still likely work on neither but if you force me I'll work on PP as it still lends itself to more skill work... As they get older I'd lean toward PK.....
black sheep

Re: PP or PK

Post by black sheep »

JSR wrote:
black sheep wrote:so your youth team is allowed to work on only one....which do you chose and why?
How old are they? If they are mites I work on neither.... If they are squirts I still likely work on neither but if you force me I'll work on PP as it still lends itself to more skill work... As they get older I'd lean toward PK.....
no specific age...theoretical only...but if there are thoughts on age appropriate instruction plese include.

plese vote if you view...80 some views only 5 votes!!!
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

150 views only 8 votes....

please...pretty please...vote...its just one click!!!
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

I'd suggest finding a different Association to play with.

Your question is the equivalent of saying "Let's play ball".... but you can only bunt.
Last edited by fastncrash on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
JSR

Post by JSR »

fastncrash wrote:I'd suggest finding a different Association to play with.

Your question is the equivalent of saying "Let play ball".... but you can only bunt.
I agree with fastncrash, it's a loaded question with too many variables. As I noted above in some weird parallel universe where you could only work on PK or PP, then I'd choose PP for squirts and lower ONLY because at those ages I believe you should be working on skills the overwhelming majority of the time and not on special teams. For Pee Wees and older if I HAD to choose only one then I'd choose PK because defense is a very tough concept for alot of players where as offense comes more naturally and free flowing for the majority of them.... but again the question is loaded and in the real world at age appropriate levels both should be given the amount of time they are due, along withskills, full strength play, DZ coverage, breakouts etc... etc.... :idea: :arrow:
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

not meant to be a loaded question...and not aimed at any particular association.

however...i do know of some associations that only work on PP and have PP units and spend 0 time on PK and defensive zone coverages

...and others that only work on PK and defensive zone coverages and leave the PP as part of their basic offense with no set personel groupings or systems.

and there are some that work on both or neither.

so....PP or PK?
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

black sheep wrote:not meant to be a loaded question...and not aimed at any particular association.

however...i do know of some associations that only work on PP and have PP units and spend 0 time on PK and defensive zone coverages

...and others that only work on PK and defensive zone coverages and leave the PP as part of their basic offense with no set personel groupings or systems.

so....PP or PK?
How do you work on PP without working on PK at the same time? :?:
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

C-dad wrote:
black sheep wrote:not meant to be a loaded question...and not aimed at any particular association.

so....PP or PK?
whoa whoa whoa ... damn you and your logic.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

C-dad wrote:

so....PP or PK?
thats an easy one....PP unit works in one end...the rest of the team goes to the other end to do different drills.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

black sheep wrote:
C-dad wrote:

so....PP or PK?
thats an easy one....PP unit works in one end...the rest of the team goes to the other end to do different drills.
But don't you need 4 out there running the PK while the PP unit is working? :?:
pineline

Post by pineline »

What I've seen done is play 5v5 with the player who is going to be the last defensive player back into the zone hanging in the neutral zone. It then becomes a 5 on-4 situation. When the puck goes in the other end the reverse happens, the last player back into the dzone hangs in the neutral zone.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

pineline wrote:What I've seen done is play 5v5 with the player who is going to be the last defensive player back into the zone hanging in the neutral zone. It then becomes a 5 on-4 situation. When the puck goes in the other end the reverse happens, the last player back into the dzone hangs in the neutral zone.
How you actually do the work doesn't matter to my question which is: if you are working on PP don't you, by default, automatically work on the PK at the same time? It's 5 on 4, right so the 4 out there are trying to PK.
JSR

Post by JSR »

C-dad wrote:
pineline wrote:What I've seen done is play 5v5 with the player who is going to be the last defensive player back into the zone hanging in the neutral zone. It then becomes a 5 on-4 situation. When the puck goes in the other end the reverse happens, the last player back into the dzone hangs in the neutral zone.
How you actually do the work doesn't matter to my question which is: if you are working on PP don't you, by default, automatically work on the PK at the same time? It's 5 on 4, right so the 4 out there are trying to PK.
To be fair guys, there is more than one way to work on a PP. I've seen coaches work on the PP starting with five on zero just to get the "structure" of how they want their PP to work. Then they might add one player for light pressure, then 2 players, then 3 then maybe four, and you can even have the defensive players turn their sticks up side down so even then they aren't able to execute a true PK even though they are applying pressure to the PP players, but just saying you can work on a PP in practice with no defensive players or without working on your PK in a true way, it is possible....
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

C-dad wrote:
black sheep wrote:
C-dad wrote: How do you work on PP without working on PK at the same time? :?:
But don't you need 4 out there running the PK while the PP unit is working? :?:
if it is me...yes i would work on both at the same time...

but...i have seen coaches use 5-0 similar to JSR stated. and seen them use only 5-0 for a majority or all of a season. to each their own lots of ways to be successful or unsuccessful.

so 11-1 for PK. was hoping for more votes but a somewhat good indicator. i think PK is more unnatural as are all defensive systems becasue learning to play with out the puck is hard...but its what players do for 99% of each game and often overlooked IMHO.