Tier 1 AAA against MN Assoc this weekend and next....

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

57special

Post by 57special »

Carolina Hurricanes 99 AAA beats Edina BAA 6-1.
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

57special wrote:Carolina Hurricanes 99 AAA beats Edina BAA 6-1.
would have been a bigger deal last year.. A down year to date for Edina BAA. Nonetheless nice work Hurricanes.
justbringit14

Post by justbringit14 »

Snap Happy wrote:
would have been a bigger deal last year.. A down year to date for Edina BAA. Nonetheless nice work Hurricanes.
Edina does not have down years. That was a beatdown!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

justbringit14 wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:
What?

Edina is 10-16-2 and lost to Stillwater 11-0...

Not usual
57special

Post by 57special »

Edina is down this year. Playing with 13 players for some reason.

Carolina in finals against Wayzata.
Rusty Blades

Post by Rusty Blades »

For discussions sake, how many 99's are there on the average top ten ranked Bantam AA team?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Rusty Blades wrote:For discussions sake, how many 99's are there on the average top ten ranked Bantam AA team?
Average of 7.6
Rusty Blades

Post by Rusty Blades »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Rusty Blades wrote:For discussions sake, how many 99's are there on the average top ten ranked Bantam AA team?
Average of 7.6
Funny.
Trout

Post by Trout »

I think Stillwater only has 3 or 4 98's out of their 17 players...probably young on average for a AA Bantam team

Edina lost several kids off their Bantam team to high school...thus the 13 skaters.

Carolina is very good....Saw them this weekend. The Stillwater game this weekend in Roseau should be a very good one!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MrBoDangles wrote:
JSR wrote:Here is a little recap on the weekend:

1999 Caps
tied 3-3 against Lakeville North
won 4-2 against Burnsville
won 2-1 against Duluth East
Lost 3-4 to Eden Prairie (semifinals)
Lost 5-8 to Edina (third place game)

2001 Caps
won 4-3 against Duluth East
lost 10-0 to Edina
won 7-4 against White Bear Lake
lost to Superior 4-6 in consolation game

always fun when these types of matchups occur. I do think the additional six months is an advantage to the MN teams but regardless it's still reasonable matchups for the kids involved and love that these can happen for all involved
90% of associations have a wide mix of very late born 98' to 00's at Bantams and very late born 00's to 02's at pewees. AAA teams have a balance of mostly older 99's and 01's. Advantage JSR.... :D
Denver guy,

*** no advantage with a few 98's, a wide variety of 99' born months and first half 00's when compared to mostly older 99's on a tier 1 team. More than likely an advantage for the tier 1 team.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I hope the Hurricane's moms brought long- underware. -24 up North.
JSR

Post by JSR »

MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
JSR wrote:Here is a little recap on the weekend:

1999 Caps
tied 3-3 against Lakeville North
won 4-2 against Burnsville
won 2-1 against Duluth East
Lost 3-4 to Eden Prairie (semifinals)
Lost 5-8 to Edina (third place game)

2001 Caps
won 4-3 against Duluth East
lost 10-0 to Edina
won 7-4 against White Bear Lake
lost to Superior 4-6 in consolation game

always fun when these types of matchups occur. I do think the additional six months is an advantage to the MN teams but regardless it's still reasonable matchups for the kids involved and love that these can happen for all involved
90% of associations have a wide mix of very late born 98' to 00's at Bantams and very late born 00's to 02's at pewees. AAA teams have a balance of mostly older 99's and 01's. Advantage JSR.... :D
Denver guy,

*** no advantage with a few 98's, a wide variety of 99' born months and first half 00's when compared to mostly older 99's on a tier 1 team. More than likely an advantage for the tier 1 team.
Not sure where you guys get the idea that these kids are "mostly" older birth year players on these Tier 1 teams. My son is on a 2000 Tier 1 team and 10 of the 18 players are latter half of the birth year. And of all the teams we've ever been part of the split has been pretty even. I won't talk or all the teams but I'd be careful about assuming that with ier 1, it's alot different than association believe it or not. Also, with all due respect even having 3 or 4 "older kids", in the example above having jsut a few 98's is a distinct advantage all by itself regardless of the make up of the rest of the team. Especially considering that the majoirty of 98's will have been through puberty where maybe only ahlf of 99's will have, that 6 months is a huge deal at the bantam level in my experience, again these are just observations based on what I have seen and experienced by no means does it mean it goes for everyone everywhere.... :?:
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Trout wrote:Edina lost several kids off their Bantam team to high school...thus the 13 skaters.
I know of one on Edina Varsity, two on Edina JV and at least one on BSM JV.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I think the 98's balance out the 00's in Mn.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

JSR wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: 90% of associations have a wide mix of very late born 98' to 00's at Bantams and very late born 00's to 02's at pewees. AAA teams have a balance of mostly older 99's and 01's. Advantage JSR.... :D
Denver guy,

Not sure where you guys get the idea that these kids are "mostly" older birth year players on these Tier 1 teams. My son is on a 2000 Tier 1 team and 10 of the 18 players are latter half of the birth year. And of all the teams we've ever been part of the split has been pretty even. I won't talk or all the teams but I'd be careful about assuming that with ier 1, it's alot different than association believe it or not. Also, with all due respect even having 3 or 4 "older kids", in the example above having jsut a few 98's is a distinct advantage all by itself regardless of the make up of the rest of the team. Especially considering that the majoirty of 98's will have been through puberty where maybe only ahlf of 99's will have, that 6 months is a huge deal at the bantam level in my experience, again these are just observations based on what I have seen and experienced by no means does it mean it goes for everyone everywhere.... :?:
What 2000 team is your son on?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

old goalie85 wrote:I think the 98's balance out the 00's in Mn.
They'll come up with everything after gathering top end players from all parts of their state and then having problems with small.. Hometown teams.

Getting sick of hearing it from them.... They should just stay away if they need to bring it up over and over again.

Just suck it up!!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

JSR wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: 90% of associations have a wide mix of very late born 98' to 00's at Bantams and very late born 00's to 02's at pewees. AAA teams have a balance of mostly older 99's and 01's. Advantage JSR.... :D
Denver guy,

And you're contradicting yourself, if most of your son's team is mostly latter born then it shouldn't matter if a few Minnesota kids are born in late sept, oct, nov dec then? Age doesn't matter? Can't have it all ways and make yourself one big excuse.

Suck it up or stay out of our state.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

MrBoDangles wrote:
justbringit14 wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:would have been a bigger deal last year.. A down year to date for Edina BAA. Nonetheless nice work Hurricanes.
What?

Edina is 10-16-2 and lost to Stillwater 11-0...

Not usual
You'll have to excuse JBI14 for his first, and hopefully only, juvenile post. Back to school on Monday.
JSR

Post by JSR »

MrBoDangles wrote:
JSR wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: Denver guy,

And you're contradicting yourself, if most of your son's team is mostly latter born then it shouldn't matter if a few Minnesota kids are born in late sept, oct, nov dec then? Age doesn't matter? Can't have it all ways and make yourself one big excuse.

Suck it up or stay out of our state.
I don't see how I am contradicting myself at all. I'm also not amaking any "excuses", you posted something I am merely replying to why I thik your excuse might be off base. And I think the teams whoa re choosing to play up there are "sucking it up" and they aren't making any excuses. This is a message board for the purpose of this type of fodder. That said when you contain an age group within just a 12 month period it doesn't make a huge difference but once you expand beyond 12 months it absolutely can make a difference especially at the top end of the age group as 18 months is alot different than 12 months at 13 years old.... Now I know you'll say the same thing applies to the younger kids on those MN AA teams but from my experience the rare latter birth year kid who makes a AA MN bantam team is probably pretty spectacular and an exception to the rule, the average same birth year kid who makes a Tier 1 team might no likely be that spectacular.... No contradiction, no excuse just reality
JSR

Post by JSR »

MrBoDangles wrote:
They'll come up with everything after gathering top end players from all parts of their state and then having problems with small.. Hometown teams.

Getting sick of hearing it from them.... They should just stay away if they need to bring it up over and over again.

Just suck it up!!
Again most Tier 1 teams are not made up of what you think they are, a AA team like Edina is much much more so an "all star" team than most Tier 1 teams that I have seen pulling from a much deeper pool of talent actually, again good for Edina and MN but again jus reality, I'm cool with it not sure why you aren't.....
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Tell me what 2000 team your son plays for and give us the birthdate of the players.

Most tier 1 teams average a March or April birthdate.

Most associations would actually be much better if their kids could all be magically born in March of 99'...., but we have a WIDE variety that probably average younger on average.

Keep your crutch handy....
JSR

Post by JSR »

MrBoDangles wrote:Tell me what 2000 team your son plays for and give us the birthdate of the players.

Most associations would actually be much better if their kids could all be magically born in March of 99'...., but we have a WIDE variety that probably average younger on average.

With all due respect telling you which team my son plays for would basically outright tell you who he is and I'd prefer the kids to stay anonymous on these sites, two people actually figured out exactly who I am on this site already, I'd prefer to keep it at two. Also, posting birthdates of kids of a "known" team would violate HIPAA laws publicly so I won't be doing that either. I will give you some additional info without revealing anything incriminating:

So last years team had 10 out of 18 born latter half of the 2000 birth year, and 8 born in first half of the year and of those: There were four players born in the first quarter, four players born in the 2nd quarter, 6 players born in the 3rd quarter, 4 players born in the 4th quarter.

So last years team had 7 out of 17 born latter half of the 2000 birth year, and 1 kid out of the 17 who was a 2001 actually, and 9 born in first half of the year and of those. There were four players born in the first quarter, five players born in the 2nd quarter, 3 players born in the 3rd quarter, 4 players born in the 4th quarter, and 1 player born in 2001.....

Honestly, I don't know where you are getting your "averages" from, as I have never seen a website or database that shows what the "average" birth months of Tier 1 teams are. maybe one exists but I have not seen it nor would I have any idea where they'd get that info from??? I wld say you are probably correct, though I do not know for certain, that the very top Tier 1 teams might be more skewed toward first half of the birth year but honestly the majority actually sometimes have 1 if not several "younger" players playing up just to try and field a competitive squad, I know of one well known Tier 1 team in WI that has player(s) playing 'up" on all but one of their age level teams and two have "multiple" players playing "up"..... so again not sure where you are getting your "averages" from...... The bottom 10 or so teams of Tier 1 probably couldn't even compete with most of your B1 teams up in MN and it'd be interesting to see their birth years, so again not sure where you are getting your data from or if it's just a "guess" based on other forms of data that you are extrapolating from (ie borth months of D1 or NHL teams) that you may be erroneously using to make this call..... :?:

Lastly, respectfully it sounds like you are using the other half of the "crutches" in this fun and spirited debate. There is a yin for every yang... I hope this info helps you :D
57special

Post by 57special »

Carolina looked very good. Medium sized, quite fast. What stuck out about them was their passing,discipline, and puck support. Coach told me that one of their weaknesses was goal scoring. Over the weekend the only team that beat them was Tonka. I think a top MN AA team will be at the same level,especially if they stay out of the box.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

JSR wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Tell me what 2000 team your son plays for and give us the birthdate of the players.

With all due respect telling you which team my son plays for would basically outright tell you who he is and I'd prefer the kids to stay anonymous on these sites, two people actually figured out exactly who I am on this site already, I'd prefer to keep it at two. Also, posting birthdates of kids of a "known" team would violate HIPAA laws publicly so I won't be doing that either. I will give you some additional info without revealing anything incriminating:

So last years team had 10 out of 18 born latter half of the 2000 birth year, and 8 born in first half of the year and of those: There were four players born in the first quarter, four players born in the 2nd quarter, 6 players born in the 3rd quarter, 4 players born in the 4th quarter.

So last years team had 7 out of 17 born latter half of the 2000 birth year, and 1 kid out of the 17 who was a 2001 actually, and 9 born in first half of the year and of those. There were four players born in the first quarter, five players born in the 2nd quarter, 3 players born in the 3rd quarter, 4 players born in the 4th quarter, and 1 player born in 2001.....

Honestly, I don't know where you are getting your "averages" from, as I have never seen a website or database that shows what the "average" birth months of Tier 1 teams are. maybe one exists but I have not seen it nor would I have any idea where they'd get that info from??? I wld say you are probably correct, though I do not know for certain, that the very top Tier 1 teams might be more skewed toward first half of the birth year but honestly the majority actually sometimes have 1 if not several "younger" players playing up just to try and field a competitive squad, I know of one well known Tier 1 team in WI that has player(s) playing 'up" on all but one of their age level teams and two have "multiple" players playing "up"..... so again not sure where you are getting your "averages" from...... The bottom 10 or so teams of Tier 1 probably couldn't even compete with most of your B1 teams up in MN and it'd be interesting to see their birth years, so again not sure where you are getting your data from or if it's just a "guess" based on other forms of data that you are extrapolating from (ie borth months of D1 or NHL teams) that you may be erroneously using to make this call..... :?:

Lastly, respectfully it sounds like you are using the other half of the "crutches" in this fun and spirited debate. There is a yin for every yang... I hope this info helps you :D
You don't see me crying with a crutch that we have to play with kids "six months" younger than your kids, Mr Pot.

"We beat one of Minnesota's best teams! Hooray! We lost to the Minnesota team because they had a few late-late born 08's.. Boo-Hoo...Might as well not play your teams... It's a no win for us.

Just stay in southeastern sconny where you're at.

You'll never get it.
Rusty Blades

Post by Rusty Blades »

MrBoDangles wrote:

Just suck it up!!

Hearing what? Nobody whined or complained. The question was asked because I wanted to know whether anyone felt it made a difference. I can tell you that one of the teams we played that weekend had one 99 on the team and the rest were 98's.

Also you are misguided on the composition of Tier 1 Teams. The teams aren't always comprised of the "top end" players from all parts of the state. As an example all but 4 of the Tbirds live in the Denver Metro and the 4 that don't travel to each and every practice. However there are several top end players that choose for a variety of reasons not to play Tier 1.