Northern Educate cutting programs immediately

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer »

I thought what they were trying up in Duluth might be the wave of the future. Well.... Enough said.
What they tried in Duluth was a selfish mistake by a few selfish people. At U10, U12 and U14 there should be one girls youth association in Duluth and maybe just a single girls HS team.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

One team for how many schools?
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

Nevertoomuchhockey.

What's wrong with your kid playing where she's playing now through high school?
observer

Post by observer »

One team for how many schools?
The number of schools means nothing. We're talking about the number of girl hockey players.

Anyways, we veered off topic. Back to NE/AA.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Before you take too many grenades Nevertomuch, thanks for the well wishes! I echo your thoughts as far as getting as many kids playing this game as possible. I also have doubts like many do, but I have hopes as well. If AA can make a go of it and 40 more boys and girls can enjoy school and play hockey then it's a good thing.

Merry Christmas!!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I agree... Well said.
jg2112

And the deal falls through

Post by jg2112 »

News came through last night that Northern Educate couldn't confirm financing - evidently their deal was based on making the bondholders invest more in the building. As if $26 million wasn't enough:

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_ ... ls-through

I see little coincidence with last week's Northern Educate closures and layoffs, this Monday's 45-day deadline passing without a deal, and Tuesday's announcement that the Coliseum is no longer being used for hockey after this year. Ramsey County will own this building within months.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I think most people thought that was the best fit anyway. Ramsey has the $$$.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: Northern Educate cutting programs immediately

jg2112 wrote:
InThePipes wrote:
jg2112 wrote: Consolidation at Vadnais Heights?

Black stepping down has to be a result of the push for financing. Maybe they were successful and he has to cede control to a financier? Or he wasn't successful.

Either way - what happens to Achiever Academy and to those kids in Eagan / Blaine? And 3 kids in Blaine with all that ice time? Three? LOL!!
Any more information, consolidation to VH?
Here is some more information, it looks like consolidation at VH and Eden Prairie is the plan:

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_ ... ne-schools

Notice the other tidbits in the article: they want to give a $6 million mortgage on the Sports Center, and then secure $7 million in financing from private parties.

They went from 12 kids in Blaine in the fall to 6 right now.

They signed a five year deal with the NSC this past summer, and spent $100,000 on outfitting that room above SR #8 into a classroom.

They are laying off staff.

They let go of the co-founder.

I'll be interested to see how this program continues down the road, especially if they don't secure financing for the VH Sports Center.
Did anyone else notice the child pictured with this article is listed as 5 years old? I'm not even sure where to begin with that.
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Did anyone else notice the child pictured with this article is listed as 5 years old? I'm not even sure where to begin with that.
What do you mean? My two year old is at home doing push-ups and stickhandling right now! At least he better be or he'll get the hose again.

(sarcasm drippingly obvious I hope)
Nevertoomuchhockey

hockeyfan21 wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
What do you mean? My two year old is at home doing push-ups and stickhandling right now! At least he better be or he'll get the hose again.

(sarcasm drippingly obvious I hope)
Hey does he want to scrimmage my 10 year old? I kept her home from school today to run up and down the stairs at the capital (a la Rocky). I've got private ice booked at the X later and Gretzky is reffing.

Ok stop.
I'm not saying don't have your five year old train, but if you have $11,000 for pre-k maybe I have some real estate to sell you in Florida.
Oh no wait. That's another guy on this forum.

Ok here's a possibly stupid question. Does AA or other online programs get $ from the home district for the kids who open enroll there?
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Ok, I'll bite, that is one of the coaches kids. He used to come on Fridays to hang out with his DaDa. This really is not the Evil Empire......
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Did this lawsuit have anything to do with the consolidation?

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/cas ... hend_et_al
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Maybe these guys should go back to Canada.
mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch »

My take on the business model being discussed is this...

Profit seeking companies offering these programs will ultimately fail because this type of program is enormously capital intensive. That being said many school districts are vigorously competing for students via open enrollment. Combine an excess student capacity with the fact that many school districts are situated with ice arenas on or next to campus (built on cheap land). People talk about the difficulty of building "the next Shattuck" - I say its already been built by your local taxpayers.

As I see it all the necessary ingredients are sitting in-place especially in the metro area...just waiting for a district willing to better use its resources and to think outside the box...coming to a school district near you soon.

That business model will work.
Nevertoomuchhockey

"As I see it all the necessary ingredients are sitting in-place especially in the metro area...just waiting for a district willing to better use its resources and to think outside the box...coming to a school district near you."

:?: Who Where When?
Are you referring to something specific actually in the works, or are you theorizing that within MSHL and the current open enrollment system that a strong youth association program and strong jv/varsity system could actually put forward a new option that proves feasible, successful, and enduring? Looking back on Duluth Marshall and AA, which boxes need to be checked? Hardwater and AAA dad, any knowledge to impart about what does, does not, COULD work? :?: :?:
JSR

Post by JSR »

On a related note, this type of school exists elsewhere as well:

http://www.bridgedaleacademy.org/
lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 »

Let me get this right. I just read an article.

Northern Edge spent $100,000 for classrooms to be built at Super rink - Only to walk away from that investment. :oops:

Northern Edge Co-founder walked away from the program. :shock:

Northern Edge walked away from contract with City of Eagan. :twisted:

Northern Edge is seeking money from investors to purchase Vadnais heights Sport complex for only $13 million? ](*,)

My advice! RUN........................ :wink:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Is Yuro still at the school ???I heard Woodcroft is coaching the 99rev now.