Elk River VFW State Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyBracketology78

Elk River VFW State Tournament

Post by HockeyBracketology78 »

I noticie in my sons calendar VFW state tournament, bummed it's the same weekend as the high school state tourney, anyways, are the teams picked or do you have to make it in somehow?
Flin Flon

Post by Flin Flon »

If I'm not mistaken tournament is in Fergus Falls and is last weekend of March
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

I believe most VFW districts hold playoffs to determine who qualifies. Here is the info directly from the VFW:
http://mn.gov/vfw/Y_Hockey%20Rules%202014.pdf
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Any results ???
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

A whole bunch of blowouts.

Roseau 11, Fergus Falls 2
Grand Rapids 11, Alexandria 1
White Bear Lake 3, Elk River 0
Duluth East 7, STMA 1
Rosemount 8, Austin 2

http://mn.gov/vfw/Y_Hockey%20Tourney%20 ... 202014.pdf
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Thanx- WBL over Elks interesting. Elks fell apart at the end of the season. Rapids keeps it rolling.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

old goalie85 wrote:Thanx- WBL over Elks interesting. Elks fell apart at the end of the season. Rapids keeps it rolling.
Maybe the Elks are just practicing for high school? :P

Looks like we have decent odds at an East-Rapids final, which would be good fun.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Four 7AA teams @ state. Rangers better get in the weightroom/on the ice this summer.
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

White Bear 5 Rapids 4

WBL and East tomorrow
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Bracket shows Rosemount beating DE? Is that error?

16's today at Grand Rapids for 7AA, Were teams missing players this weekend?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MWS coach wrote:Bracket shows Rosemount beating DE? Is that error?

16's today at Grand Rapids for 7AA, Were teams missing players this weekend?
It's an error. East won.
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

It was East 9-2

ER had 6 missing we heard
Rapids missing 1
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

ER had six 98's playing BAA that were picked to go to Rapids ??
ERPWA Hockey

Post by ERPWA Hockey »

old goalie85 wrote:ER had six 98's playing BAA that were picked to go to Rapids ??
To clarify the Elks had five 98's from this years Bantam AA Team trying out for the Section 7 HP16's this weekend. (2 Defense, 2 Forwards & 1 Goalie)

All five decided to attend the tryout on Saturday in Grand Rapids but all five attended Friday and Sundays VFW State games in Fergus Falls. I commend these players and families for doing there best under a tough spot they had been put in by Minnesota Hockey and the VFW Program.
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Any updates on the championship game?
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

East wins it 5-4.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

=D>

I know VFW doesn't have the same caliber of teams as the real Tourney, but it's a great way to end the season for the Hounds, especially considering how dinged up they were down the stretch. No matter the talent level, the East Bantam AA staff has them playing their best hockey at the end of the year. Congrats to all the teams, and I look forward to seeing a bunch of you in HS next year.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

karl(east) wrote:=D>

I know VFW doesn't have the same caliber of teams as the real Tourney, but it's a great way to end the season for the Hounds, especially considering how dinged up they were down the stretch. No matter the talent level, the East Bantam AA staff has them playing their best hockey at the end of the year. Congrats to all the teams, and I look forward to seeing a bunch of you in HS next year.
Big win for East! I only saw them play once in November and thought highly of the team. They seemed to have a tough time staying out of the box in that game. Metro refs, say what you will but the game in the cities bears little resemblance to the game played up north, if any of you zebra's would like to chime in and explain that, I'm sure plenty of people would be interested as to why. Both Bantam AA titles stay up North this year. Well done Rangers, the future is very bright for this age group of hockey players. As for the #1 ranked Elk River Elks thanks for a season of excuses, good luck with that.
elkshockeyBAA

Post by elkshockeyBAA »

Edge,

Where have you seen any post by ER fans that made any excuses? The team did not improve as the season progressed. At MN State Semi Game, Stillwater won the game by playing better hockey. Only post I recall is a congrats to the winners, no excuses, they fell short of expectations. That is why the game is played on the ice and not with a pen and piece of paper.

Nice shot at a very good group of kids.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I wish a FL team could have a season like that. ER enjoyed a great season. Congrats to East/WBL sounds like it was a great game. Mn hockey knows when the V has their tourny why would they cross schedule like that. Looks like R/R have some nice players moving up @ ER/East. {not to mention Rapids] Looks like the rich get richer !!!
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

redlightclub wrote:It was East 9-2

Rapids missing 1
Thanks, were DE or STMA missing any players on Saturday? I agree OG, you would think this could be figured out to avoid conflict.
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

MWS coach wrote:

Rapids missing 1
Thanks, were DE or STMA missing any players on Saturday? I agree OG, you would think this could be figured out to avoid conflict.

STMA wasn't missing any players. Duluth East was playing really well and took it to us Friday. Congrats to them for staying focused through the long layoff between games which isn't always easy. WBL also played great so the best two teams for the weekend definitely made it to the championship. Our boys had a great time but more importantly they learned a little about what the VFW stands for and what these men and women have given to this great country.
wishiwasfishingguy

Post by wishiwasfishingguy »

Why skip out on state tournament games with your teammates to go play as an individual at a tryout? I heard the VFW games were watched by evaluators? I would assume WBL, DE, Rapids, STMA, Roseau, Rosemount also had players that were invited to try out? I agree the scheduling needs to be figured out so this doesn't happen.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MWS coach wrote:

Rapids missing 1
East was down 3 players, but I think it was all injury-related.

It does seem like basic common sense would prevent the conflicts, though.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

It was 7AA tryouts.