Laptop schools

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

lilgretzky99

Laptop schools

Post by lilgretzky99 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Ok. We live in the State of Hockey. From what I see Minnesota Hockey has done a tremendous job with players over the years in Minnesota.

So lets put this in perspective. People are paying $12,000+ for their kids to get the advantage of more ice time each day. In my opinion they are sacrificing their kids education to do so.........
I know first hand when Northern Educate was recruiting kids to play. Their slogan? Why pay $40K+ at Shattuck when you can get the development at NE for fraction of the cost?

In my opinion. If Tier I hockey comes to Minnesota. The price of hockey will go up and the number of players will go down. That would be a sad day.

For out of state parents. I understand why you come to Minnesota to play hockey. I assure you. You do not need to spend $12k+ to get the development your kids need to play. Also, don't be fooled by these schools because your son or daughter was a better player in your home state. In most cases I see your kids fit in with average or better Minnesota players.
Let me ask these parents from out of state. Why come to Minnesota a non-Tier I hockey state to play hockey? Why not go to a Tier I hockey state? I know the answer will be because Minnesota has top players. So I would quickly remind you. Yep! And they didn't need Tier I hockey. :wink:

For the new owners of Northern Educate. It's a good thing Stillwater is close to the border of Wisconsin. Hudson would be a great spot for Tier I laptop hockey school. I'm positive some of the crazies will follow. :roll:

There's another school in Chaska called Breakaway Academy.

I applaud the Minnesota State High School League for investigating Achiever Academy. The right decision was made. I feel bad for the kids. But the school misled the parents and they should be held responsible for their actions. =D> From what I heard the boys team had more ineligible players than the girls team.

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Breakaway isn't really the same as any of the others and it's not for HS students. Chaska's HS coach owns it.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Ref22 wrote:Breakaway isn't really the same as any of the others and it's not for HS students. Chaska's HS coach owns it.
Breakaway is exactly like Northern Educate. They both charge $12k+ to attend school during the day and play for their associations at night.

If there was a difference NE does offer high school when the kids get older. Time will tell if Breakaway offers high school. School only started last year.

Like I said. If Tier I hockey ever came to Minnesota the hockey numbers would decline. It would turn into money makers for each team with endless promises why their program is the best.

My son was recruited hard for Northern Educate. Their slogan. Why pay more for Shattuck when you can pay a fraction of the cost for Northern Educate. Wow! The only major difference between the schools is their education. Even the crazies were contacting me to have my son attend school at NE. I was told I would be sorry if he didn't go to school there.

Ever since. Northern Educate went down the drain. Terrible investments, walked away from multiple arena's, laid off good people, false promises and as we are quickly learning. They have many ineligible kids playing for their high school teams.

It will be interesting to see what the new owners are up to? My guess is they will try like many others to bring Tier I hockey to Minnesota.

Like I said. If you live out of state and plan to move to Minnesota. Do NOT throw your money away on these laptop schools. Do NOT sacrifice your kids education. They will sell you false hopes.

Chanmanblue

Laptop schools

Post by Chanmanblue » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:58 pm

lilgretzky99, I totally agree with you that it is a bad idea to sacrifice your child's education for any reason, but if you want to compare Breakaway Academy and Northern Educate, please include ALL the facts, not just the cost.

There is a major difference in the way academic education (ie not hockey training) is delivered by each respective group. Breakaway Academy is a private, tuition based SCHOOL. A traditional class structure and classrooms are utilized by licensed teachers to educate the students. Yes, they do use laptops, but in no different way than other secondary educational institutions like Benilde-St.Margrets or Holy Family do. They are additional tools to assist in delivering information to and from the students and teachers, just like a text book or a handout. Class sizes are limited to allow the teachers to provide a level of interaction and in my opinion, education, that is not available today in many of our public schools.

Northern Educate enables and provides students with live instructor-aided access to an on-line MN public charter school. The certified teacher that is primary for the student and grades the student's work is on-line and not in the classroom. The "instructors" that work with the students on site on a daily basis may or may not be licensed teachers. Academic education is primarily delivered by a machine, not an educator. Learning is more self directed, which is not always a bad thing, and students get help from the instructors in the specific areas they need assistance in.

Two very different academic environments for sure. And in full disclosure, my son attends Breakaway Academy. We too were recruited by Northern Educate and never had any interest in sending our son there due the educational structure they use. The hockey training for us, while a vital part of the package, is much less important than a top rate education.

Now, with that said, I have no doubt there are students at both places that have parents that value the ice time more than the academics and send their children to one place or the other to "get ahead" in hockey. Our family looked at in the way that hockey is an elective and how great is it that our son can get an great academic education, be very engaged and enjoy his elective choice, and be fit and active as well. It is not for everyone, but it is a great option for some.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Chanman,

To each his own right? There is no doubt every player attending Breakaway academy is doing it for one thing and only one thing. HOCKEY! There is no way anyone is sending their players to Breakaway for the education.

Do you really think Breakaway is comparable to BSM and Holy Family? Is that what they're telling you? Is that their slogan they use?
I know a professor at the University of Minnesota that looked into the curriculum at some of these laptop hockey schools and told me. "That it is flat out wrong" He said way more, but I will spare you on all the negativity.

It is very entertaining to see what some parents are doing in regards to youth sports. What they don't know. The more ice time they get when they're younger the better they play. Problem is, the players not getting the same amount of ice time when they're young are catching up when the kids get older. In a sense parents are paying more money at a younger age to be told how great their kids are. In majority of the cases these kids are average to good players when they are older.

Good luck at Breakaway. Any plans to start a high school at Breakaway?

JSR

Re: Laptop schools

Post by JSR » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am

lilgretzky99 wrote:Ok. We live in the State of Hockey. From what I see Minnesota Hockey has done a tremendous job with players over the years in Minnesota.

So lets put this in perspective. People are paying $12,000+ for their kids to get the advantage of more ice time each day. In my opinion they are sacrificing their kids education to do so.........
I know first hand when Northern Educate was recruiting kids to play. Their slogan? Why pay $40K+ at Shattuck when you can get the development at NE for fraction of the cost?

In my opinion. If Tier I hockey comes to Minnesota. The price of hockey will go up and the number of players will go down. That would be a sad day.

For out of state parents. I understand why you come to Minnesota to play hockey. I assure you. You do not need to spend $12k+ to get the development your kids need to play. Also, don't be fooled by these schools because your son or daughter was a better player in your home state. In most cases I see your kids fit in with average or better Minnesota players.

Let me ask these parents from out of state. Why come to Minnesota a non-Tier I hockey state to play hockey? Why not go to a Tier I hockey state? I know the answer will be because Minnesota has top players. So I would quickly remind you. Yep! And they didn't need Tier I hockey. :wink:

For the new owners of Northern Educate. It's a good thing Stillwater is close to the border of Wisconsin. Hudson would be a great spot for Tier I laptop hockey school. I'm positive some of the crazies will follow. :roll:

There's another school in Chaska called Breakaway Academy.

I applaud the Minnesota State High School League for investigating Achiever Academy. The right decision was made. I feel bad for the kids. But the school misled the parents and they should be held responsible for their actions. =D> From what I heard the boys team had more ineligible players than the girls team.
Agree with many of the things you said but not everything.

#1 You state is just your opinion, but there is no evidence that if Tier 1 came to MN that the price of hockey would go up and the number of players would go down. WI has Tier 1 hockey and association hockey remains level price wise and the numbers of association and high school hockey players continues to go up despite the fact that we have three Tier 1 teams. Tier 1 hockey might be more expensive but that is a "choice it doesn't mean the price of hockey in general would go up.... So while you are entitiled to your opinion, your opinion has no facts to back it up

#2 Just as an FYI there are many kids that do not live in MN that are excellent players that also never played Tier 1 hockey. It's alot less frequent and ALOT tougher to do outside of MN without playing Tier 1 as a youth but they do exist... Ross Mauermann of Providence (and Hobey Baker candidate) is an example, played association hockey and high school hockey all the way through graduation in Wisconsin of all places, then played two years of NAHL, now a captain at Providence and a Hobey candidate..... just saying there are many ways to skin a cat and Tier 1 aqnd MN Hockey are not the ONLY two ways

#3 Hudon or Eau Claire actually would be great spots for a fourth Tier 1 team in Wisconsin but WAHA will never allow it. There is a reason the "Fire" no longer exist. So that "idea" may as well be washed down the tubes as it has no merit. Just because we have Tier 1 in Wisconsin doesn't mean you can just add another one at your whimsy, it's not how it works.

Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Chanmanblue wrote:lilgretzky99, I totally agree with you that it is a bad idea to sacrifice your child's education for any reason, but if you want to compare Breakaway Academy and Northern Educate, please include ALL the facts, not just the cost.

There is a major difference in the way academic education (ie not hockey training) is delivered by each respective group. Breakaway Academy is a private, tuition based SCHOOL. A traditional class structure and classrooms are utilized by licensed teachers to educate the students. Yes, they do use laptops, but in no different way than other secondary educational institutions like Benilde-St.Margrets or Holy Family do. They are additional tools to assist in delivering information to and from the students and teachers, just like a text book or a handout. Class sizes are limited to allow the teachers to provide a level of interaction and in my opinion, education, that is not available today in many of our public schools.

Northern Educate enables and provides students with live instructor-aided access to an on-line MN public charter school. The certified teacher that is primary for the student and grades the student's work is on-line and not in the classroom. The "instructors" that work with the students on site on a daily basis may or may not be licensed teachers. Academic education is primarily delivered by a machine, not an educator. Learning is more self directed, which is not always a bad thing, and students get help from the instructors in the specific areas they need assistance in.

Two very different academic environments for sure. And in full disclosure, my son attends Breakaway Academy. We too were recruited by Northern Educate and never had any interest in sending our son there due the educational structure they use. The hockey training for us, while a vital part of the package, is much less important than a top rate education.

Now, with that said, I have no doubt there are students at both places that have parents that value the ice time more than the academics and send their children to one place or the other to "get ahead" in hockey. Our family looked at in the way that hockey is an elective and how great is it that our son can get an great academic education, be very engaged and enjoy his elective choice, and be fit and active as well. It is not for everyone, but it is a great option for some.
I don't have kids at either school but did check out NE and Breakaway. They are completely different in structure. I honestly believe the Breakaway model is brilliant. They have licensed teachers and the core classes. The ice time basically replaced phy Ed. Art, etc. (elective classes) The people that I know that go there are extremely happy with the education piece. I would completely trust the hockey piece too. I think Andy is great.
NE education was a C- I would think that a high percent of kids educated in that system would really struggle in college.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Clarkkent wrote:
Chanmanblue wrote:lilgretzky99, I totally agree with you that it is a bad idea to sacrifice your child's education for any reason, but if you want to compare Breakaway Academy and Northern Educate, please include ALL the facts, not just the cost.

I don't have kids at either school but did check out NE and Breakaway. They are completely different in structure. I honestly believe the Breakaway model is brilliant. They have licensed teachers and the core classes. The ice time basically replaced phy Ed. Art, etc. (elective classes) The people that I know that go there are extremely happy with the education piece. I would completely trust the hockey piece too. I think Andy is great.
NE education was a C- I would think that a high percent of kids educated in that system would really struggle in college.
No doubt Northern Edge is terrible. Time will tell if breakaway offers a good structure. It's great to hear teachers are licensed, but keep in mind Northern Edge claimed the same things as Breakaway. Part of running a hockey business you have to stroke the parents and tell them that their kids are great. They all do it, and will continue to do it. Parents suck it up and actually believe. Makes them and their kids feel important.
One good thing about Breakaway is the fact they are not moving too fast. NE wanted to rule the world all within 2-3 years. Everything caught up with them and now Northern Edge is trying to rework their image.
I have a buddy who is in the Chaska/Chanhassen Association. He said 9 or so players on the PWAA team attend Breakaway Academy and play for CC. He said team started out hot and is one of the better teams in the state. Most recently the team is losing games and moving down in D6. He said with as much ice time as these kids are getting many parents are looking at the burn out factor. Plus he said the kids on the team that attend Breakaway are not much different this year versus last year in regards to talent.
Like I said. If parents want to spend $12k+ for a laptop hockey school that is their choice. Parents do crazy things to get ahead in hockey. I'm just trying to let people know they don't have spend crazy money to get ahead. When the kids become 13 or older god given talent takes over.

imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Lilgretzky, I swore I would not jump in on another Northern Educate discussion but you make it too easy. You say Northern Educate is terrible. Have you ever set a foot in their doorway? You say they have no licensed teachers. I say have you ever set a foot in the doorway? You say your little superstar was "heavily recruited" by NE. What does that mean?? He/she was asked to an open house to see if the program was a good fit for your future all-star. Laptop school??! What does that mean?? Is that like call waiting, cruise control, and intermittent wipers?? I say laptop school is the future for many venues. For Pete's Sake you can get anything online today! I just gave my truck a complete brake job from a you tube video and I am a total non mechanic type guy. Many students thrive in an online environment working at their own pace and not having to wait for no child left behind. I will not comment on the latest issues that AA must over come, but you are so full of misguided false facts that I could not resist. You say, "in your opinion" MN hockey is the best path for hockey greatness... I say you must be the true hockey savant!!!!! I hope to read about your lil superstar soon!!!

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 am

lilgretzky99 wrote:
Clarkkent wrote:

No doubt Northern Edge is terrible. Time will tell if breakaway offers a good structure. It's great to hear teachers are licensed, but keep in mind Northern Edge claimed the same things as Breakaway. Part of running a hockey business you have to stroke the parents and tell them that their kids are great. They all do it, and will continue to do it. Parents suck it up and actually believe. Makes them and their kids feel important.
One good thing about Breakaway is the fact they are not moving too fast. NE wanted to rule the world all within 2-3 years. Everything caught up with them and now Northern Edge is trying to rework their image.
I have a buddy who is in the Chaska/Chanhassen Association. He said 9 or so players on the PWAA team attend Breakaway Academy and play for CC. He said team started out hot and is one of the better teams in the state. Most recently the team is losing games and moving down in D6. He said with as much ice time as these kids are getting many parents are looking at the burn out factor. Plus he said the kids on the team that attend Breakaway are not much different this year versus last year in regards to talent.
Like I said. If parents want to spend $12k+ for a laptop hockey school that is their choice. Parents do crazy things to get ahead in hockey. I'm just trying to let people know they don't have spend crazy money to get ahead. When the kids become 13 or older god given talent takes over.[/quote]

I don't know a thing about Breakaway Academy, Northern Educate, Achiever Academy or Bob's Hockey School. But I bolded your last line because you are absolutely right and people forget that. I've said it many times on this board. Until a child hits puberty, you have no idea how good of a hockey player they are. That is a fact. Until then, your only focus should be on if they are having fun and developing a passion for the game. Save your money until then.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Froggy,

These parents will learn in the long run when their kids get older. I've seen too many parents go overboard when the kids are young.

True facts.

When the kids get more ice time when they're young they are automatically going to be better players. These programs are drooling over the younger elite players. This means the parents will go to any extent to get that advantage.
Then you have all these programs looking for talented players. They love to tell the parents how great little Billy plays hockey not to mention how special he is. Train with us and we will develop your son or daughter. Why pay $40k+ when you can pay $12k+ while saving money so your little superstar will get an advantage. :lol:

Another fact. There are way more elite players playing association hockey versus attending laptop schools. Speaks volumes.
I know for a fact that Northern Edge would take anyone. When I say anyone. I mean A - B - C players. In the end its all about the money. The funny thing, I ask how players are developing at these schools and there's little to no change in their ability or skills level. I also know many players and their ability and skill level, so I see it first hand.

Like I said. To each his own. I'm simply trying to tell people save your money. In the end. They either have it or they don't. If you want to spend the money then spend the extra amount and put them at Shattuck. At least they will get a top notch education.

Dan

imlisteningtothefnsong

Laptop schools

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Of course more elites at the publics over the "laptops". I think newness may play a role. Yes NE takes all players A-B-C. It's about development. Did you never watch Rudy Lilgretzky???? Rudy was never going to play in the NFL, he just wanted to play football for the Irish. Is it possible that there are students here who just want to play hockey? That is what grounds them and makes them get up in the morning. Their mom and dad know that Don Lucia will not be phoning any time soon and Mike Yeo will never know who they are. Do yourself a favor go watch Rudy, then try to imagine a kid that may want to play as much hockey as they can while also meeting all the standards of Mn academics. They may never be an elite player and their parents may not even care that they are not elite. If my kids passion was tuba I would endure the bass honks, maybe not clarinet but maybe!! RUDY RUDY RUDY!!!

boomerang

Post by boomerang » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:01 am

I think these schools provide an option, and isn't it nice we have that option? I say if it fits with your family and for your player/student, then take it! If not, don't. It doesn't fit with mine, but I hope they succeed.

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:35 pm

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Of course more elites at the publics over the "laptops". I think newness may play a role. Yes NE takes all players A-B-C. It's about development. Did you never watch Rudy Lilgretzky???? Rudy was never going to play in the NFL, he just wanted to play football for the Irish. Is it possible that there are students here who just want to play hockey? That is what grounds them and makes them get up in the morning. Their mom and dad know that Don Lucia will not be phoning any time soon and Mike Yeo will never know who they are. Do yourself a favor go watch Rudy, then try to imagine a kid that may want to play as much hockey as they can while also meeting all the standards of Mn academics. They may never be an elite player and their parents may not even care that they are not elite. If my kids passion was tuba I would endure the bass honks, maybe not clarinet but maybe!! RUDY RUDY RUDY!!!
Put the cocktail down :wink:

You just cannot resist trying to justify why you have spent tens of thousand of dollars. Time will tell.......................

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm

boomerang wrote:I think these schools provide an option, and isn't it nice we have that option? I say if it fits with your family and for your player/student, then take it! If not, don't. It doesn't fit with mine, but I hope they succeed.
Of course they provide an option. It is awesome that kids have a choice. My only point is you don't need to spend $12K+ to develop the kids. And Yes! The parents are taking a huge chance with the education portion of these programs. And No! There isn't one player at these schools for the education. Not even close.
Parents think they're getting a jump on others when in all reality their not.
I feel bad for all the kids attending Achiever Academy/Northern Educate this year. Especially the girls team. The school let them down. They were one game away from the state tournament. Just think of all the promises Northern Edge made to these families. Parents spent $12k+ to attend this laptop school. Team was doing very well. One major problem. They had illegal players on the team. The school was responsible for their actions. Girls opted out of the playoffs. Season is done.
My buddy who has a son on the boys team said there are more illegal players on the boys team. Very sad to see.................. If I was a parent at that school I would demand refund. Run as fast as you can.......

imlisteningtothefnsong

Laptop schools

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Quote-put the cocktail down.....

What??? Do you have a trail cam set up at my place!! I laughed so hard this morning when I Reread my last post, "Rudy!! Rudy!! Rudy!!!
Yes it is unfortunate the rules were broke. It will be tough sledding from here on out. You are correct lil great one time wil tell

Cheers!!

lilgretzky99

Post by lilgretzky99 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Quote-put the cocktail down.....

What??? Do you have a trail cam set up at my place!! I laughed so hard this morning when I Reread my last post, "Rudy!! Rudy!! Rudy!!!
Yes it is unfortunate the rules were broke. It will be tough sledding from here on out. You are correct lil great one time wil tell

Cheers!!
Good luck with your journey. :wink:

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

lilgretzky99 wrote:
Clarkkent wrote:

Like I said. If parents want to spend $12k+ for a laptop hockey school that is their choice. Parents do crazy things to get ahead in hockey. I'm just trying to let people know they don't have spend crazy money to get ahead. When the kids become 13 or older god given talent takes over.
WRONG! Around 13 years old there are definitely things that happen that are out fof the players control (ie how fast they grow, how much they grow etc...) but for the most part the differentiating factor at those ages is committment to the level of work necessary to stay at the highest level. Most kids do not have the inner passion to work that hard and is why they start falling off. Work ethic and passion take over at that age, not "god given talent" :roll:

imlisteningtothefnsong

Laptops

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:10 pm

JSR, you are correct sir!! God given talent shows up at the first year Mite jamborees. Hard work, drive, passion, get you further.

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Respectfully disagree TSR. At least for the most part. You are starting with the wrong premise. You first need God given talent. Are you suggesting that all kids have equal athletic ability at mites and then their drive takes off and differentiates them? If you have little god given talent, all the hard work in the world will only get you so far. If you are comparing kids of similar ability then yes hard work will differentiate. Kids with god given ability who don't work as hard as kids with lessor abilities will still typically be better players.

hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Man... You people are nuts. No wonder "schools" like NE are popping up. I could have sworn the purpose of youth sports was to have fun and teach important skills for life (FYI stickhandling is not an important life skill). Whatever happened to "it's the journey, not the destination"?

Big shock that varsity HC turnover hovers around 37% annually...

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Why get in the car for the journey if you got no place to go for a destination? 8)

You wanna play hockey, you work on your hockey skills. You wanna play chess you work on your chess skills. If you want A's, a study harder.

Everything you learn can be used as a life skill

imlisteningtothefnsong

Laptops

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm

Youth sports are about having fun and learning life lessons....

Don't forget they put a score board in the rink for a reason. If we keep playing for fun, our teams will keep coming home with participation medals. Learning how to win, and that you don't always win are great life lessons. Our elementary schools are trying very hard to eliminate all competition in the classroom as well as the playing fields. No more top grades posted because someone might feel bad.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

gorilla1 wrote:Respectfully disagree TSR. At least for the most part. You are starting with the wrong premise. You first need God given talent. Are you suggesting that all kids have equal athletic ability at mites and then their drive takes off and differentiates them? If you have little god given talent, all the hard work in the world will only get you so far. If you are comparing kids of similar ability then yes hard work will differentiate. Kids with god given ability who don't work as hard as kids with lessor abilities will still typically be better players.
I thought the post I responded to made that part obvious......... As far as your last sentence, depends on how much disparity there is in said talent, but let's also dispell the "god given" part a little, some kid's who are supposedly "natural athletes" are in fact kids who often have, even if inadvertantly, worked really really hard to acquire their skills..... I know ALOT of kids who get tabbed as "natural athletes" in certain sports at young ages, what those folks don't know or don't see is the hundreds of hours those kids spent playing the game by themselves in basements or backyards at the ages of 2 or 3 years old. No parents telling them to do it just them trying to be like their big brother or sister, or neighbor or whomever they are emulating and these kids literally put in hundreds of hours of "work" without even knowing it because to them they are just "playing".... but back to the comment at hand, it assumes the kids are within a certain level of proficiency of eachother at age 13 and above and that the passion and hardwork are the differentiators for them going forward. As the saying goes, "hardwork beats talent when talent stops working hard"

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

hockeyfan21 wrote:Man... You people are nuts. No wonder "schools" like NE are popping up. I could have sworn the purpose of youth sports was to have fun and teach important skills for life (FYI stickhandling is not an important life skill). Whatever happened to "it's the journey, not the destination"?

Big shock that varsity HC turnover hovers around 37% annually...
I used to think playing video games was not an important life skill. Now these supposed "gamers" are the ones doing robotic surgeries, or flying those drones becasue their video game skills they practiced for thousands of hours have given them an ability that those of us who did not play them do not possess.... just saying you never know what a honed skill may turn itself into for that individual some day, it's not important to everyone but it might be to some... :idea: :?