Environmental Problem Could Close Some Minnesota Ice Rinks

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jackpinesavage

Post by Jackpinesavage »

This is where MN hockey and USA hockey need to step in. They take a lot of money from MN hockey players- rather than risk losing hockey in many areas MN Hockey and USA Hockey should step up and help fund this problem. It should not go to the tax payers. Deliver something other than a useless insurance policy
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jackpinesavage wrote:This is where MN hockey and USA hockey need to step in. They take a lot of money from MN hockey players- rather than risk losing hockey in many areas MN Hockey and USA Hockey should step up and help fund this problem. It should not go to the tax payers. Deliver something other than a useless insurance policy
Good luck with that.

Wait a minute, perhaps I will bring it up.
Good luck to me, but what the heck, it is worth asking for.

:D
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

elliott70 wrote:
Jackpinesavage wrote:This is where MN hockey and USA hockey need to step in. They take a lot of money from MN hockey players- rather than risk losing hockey in many areas MN Hockey and USA Hockey should step up and help fund this problem. It should not go to the tax payers. Deliver something other than a useless insurance policy
Good luck with that.

Wait a minute, perhaps I will bring it up.
Good luck to me, but what the heck, it is worth asking for.

:D
Elliot, to broaden this subject a bit I've always thought USAH should do more to grow the game in the USA by providing grants for infrastructure. If a local community wants to start a hockey program they should be able to go to USAH for grants to be used for rink construction, ice making equipment, boards and dashers, zambonis, etc. The biggest hurdle to growing the game is having a place to play. The fact you are seeing the startup and growth of programs across the Dakotas and Northern Iowa is amazing to me. More should be done to financially support those programs instead of socking them for player and coach registrations.

I know USAH has the One Goal equipment program but, frankly, starter equipment isn't the issue. I'm on our association's board and we buy starter equipment to rent out. We can purchase equipment at very reasonable prices from Total Hockey. Even with an association as small as ours the fianancial burden isn't too great.

The other area I feel USAH could become more invovled is at the very top of the pyramid, college hockey. They could better use their resources and influence to assist and encourage more colleges to start varsity programs. The way I look at it now, with the TV money the Big Ten schools are rolling in, there is no reason there are not plans for varsity hockey programs at Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana and a a few others right now. USAH could do more by approaching these schools where hockey makes sense and assist them in starting programs. There are many many hockey players out there and, proportionately, very few places to play collegiately. Might be better to take that broad based approach rather than pumping so much of our money into the USNDP. Leverage those dollars so even more players have the chance to play a high level of hockey.

I got a bit off topic there. Good luck in getting assistance to those rinks who are going to need it. I personally feel that is smack dab in the middle of MN Hockey's mission statement.
Redarmy19

Post by Redarmy19 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:The other area I feel USAH could become more invovled is at the very top of the pyramid, college hockey. They could better use their resources and influence to assist and encourage more colleges to start varsity programs. The way I look at it now, with the TV money the Big Ten schools are rolling in, there is no reason there are not plans for varsity hockey programs at Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana and a a few others right now. USAH could do more by approaching these schools where hockey makes sense and assist them in starting programs. There are many many hockey players out there and, proportionately, very few places to play collegiately. Might be better to take that broad based approach rather than pumping so much of our money into the USNDP. Leverage those dollars so even more players have the chance to play a high level of hockey.
I'd say their hands are tied by Title IX. While the demand is there for mens hockey, it definitely isn't for women....yet anyway.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I will use these things to write up an action plan of sorts to present to MH and hopefully to USAH.
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

But keep the "useless" insurance policies! We've needed it more than once to cover out of network, especially traveling.