State of hockey is never trying?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

barry_mcconnell

State of hockey is never trying?

Post by barry_mcconnell »

Quite possibly the worst article ever written about youth hockey.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comm ... 70061.html
Ugottobekiddingme

Re: State of hockey is never trying?

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Quite possibly the worst article ever written about youth hockey.

I agree, she never told him which C team to tryout for with dates and times. Money lost at that association...shameful.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Wow, just wow. I don't think I really like that lady. I don't think that piece was very fair.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

But admit it... You're glad that kid and dad aren't on your team.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

barry_mcconnell wrote:Quite possibly the worst article ever written about youth hockey.

What?- "most of those hockey guys are jerks anyway.”
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Well this just isn't true at all.

There are plenty of rec-type leagues all across the cities for kids just like this.

If this sad sad person spent half the time researching rec-league hockey as they did complaining about their kid's (read: their own) hockey experience, that kid would be skating right now.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

What competitive sport is he going to find that doesn't cut in to someone's free time? Sounds like he's always just been envious of hockey players..

Shame on the trib for allowing this.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:But admit it... You're glad that kid and dad aren't on your team.
I will freely admit this. I am glad he isn't on my child's team and that I don't have to associate with this person.

A couple of things struck me when reading this article. First, she says her kid just wants to "try hockey". Well, that exists, as previously posted, in city rec leagues. So she didn't really dig that hard to find a place for her kid to play that met his and their family's needs. Then she complains about the time commitment and insinuates that hockey people are nuts for devoting this much energy to a sport. Finally, she complained about the number of practices and randomly odd practice times.

I guess we should thank her for that. She has put a spotlight on the issue of insufficient facilities and the demand for ice time. The association rep basically said that the demand is there to field more teams if they had more ice time. "Well just cut the practice time in half"...and shortchange all of the other kids so her's can play.

I want every kid to have the opportunity to play hockey, but I, like most other hockey parents I know, don't want that to come at the expense of my child. My kid has been practicing and playing for 6 years now, so she thinks her kid should just walk in and be on the team because he wants to dabble in hockey...yeah, I don't think I don't think that would work out very well with the group of parents I know.

Edited to add: I referred to the author as 'she' in my post. The author is actually a 'he'. I guess that is how whiney the writer came off.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

MrBoDangles wrote:What competitive sport is he going to find that doesn't cut in to someone's free time? Sounds like he's always just been envious of hockey players..
Shame on the trib for allowing this.
Any Educated person who reads this would come to the same conclusion, it's extremely obvious. Many people are envious of hockey players. It's just the way it's always been. They try to disguise it by saying how crazy it all is. When I think something's crazy I pay it no mind. This guy chooses to send a letter to the Editor? Uh, yeah.......
barry_mcconnell

Great lesson for the boy.

"Well I tried, son. I made 2 phone calls and no one seemed to want to let you play and practice whenever you want. So let's quit. Those boys, that we've never met, were probably prima-donna jerks anyways."

Hockey is not for everyone. Just because Scouts might not be a good fit for your kid doesn't mean all the Scouts are jerks. It probably a really good thing they bailed before the start of the season. It takes a lot of dedication to show up for 7am skates and being a good teammate. Some kids just don't have it in them.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Maybe $20 spent on a pair of used skates and a couple trips to the local outdoor rink would have been easier to fit into the rigorous Lego schedule?
cheddar

Post by cheddar »

Is there a rec league program in Burnsville?

I do admire the kids and parents who start hockey at the squirt level or higher. It is a big transition to go from zero hours a week to 5 hours or more.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

cheddar wrote:Is there a rec league program in Burnsville?
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/recleague

I know I'm kind of a hockey hipster and all, but there's this site called google ... pretty nifty if you can find it on the interwebs.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Nevertoomuchhockey

InigoMontoya wrote:Maybe $20 spent on a pair of used skates and a couple trips to the local outdoor rink would have been easier to fit into the rigorous Lego schedule?

Quote of the thread.
barry_mcconnell

DrGaf wrote:
cheddar wrote:Is there a rec league program in Burnsville?
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/recleague

I know I'm kind of a hockey hipster and all, but there's this site called google ... pretty nifty if you can find it on the interwebs.
Yeah but they want your kid to skate for a whole 60min. In a row! My kid doesn't have time for something like that. Why can't there be a league where kids can show up when they want and skate for 20-30min? Bunch of jerks.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Yes it's called rink ratting. It's free (minus concessions) too! No cool socks though.

Although I can't remember my kids ever wanting to leave earlier than two hours later.... More often 4.
stonehands

Post by stonehands »

True or False:

If all Lego Players are Hockey Players, and all Hockey Players are Prima Donnas, then all who play with Legos are definitely Prima Donnas.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Three years varsity Lego team/ Capt. of the Lego team/ All Conf/. = Prima Donna !!!!
Nevertoomuchhockey

The bars on your letter jacket must be killer.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Barry, the article is about a family's choice to do things like scouting and the Birkebeiner. It is a NOT hockey article.

Their choice.

Definitely some truth to the view that competitive youth sports require a very high commitment.
Be kind. Rewind.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

O-townClown wrote:

Barry, the article is about a family's choice to do things like scouting and the Birkebeiner. It is a NOT hockey article.

Their choice.

Definitely some truth to the view that competitive youth sports require a very high commitment.
Hello?!?! He's solely ripping apart everything hockey.

It's been a while... Are you and your kid into Legos now..?
betterupnorth

Post by betterupnorth »

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:But admit it... You're glad that kid and dad aren't on your team.
I will freely admit this. I am glad he isn't on my child's team and that I don't have to associate with this person.

A couple of things struck me when reading this article. First, she says her kid just wants to "try hockey". Well, that exists, as previously posted, in city rec leagues. So she didn't really dig that hard to find a place for her kid to play that met his and their family's needs. Then she complains about the time commitment and insinuates that hockey people are nuts for devoting this much energy to a sport. Finally, she complained about the number of practices and randomly odd practice times.

I guess we should thank her for that. She has put a spotlight on the issue of insufficient facilities and the demand for ice time. The association rep basically said that the demand is there to field more teams if they had more ice time. "Well just cut the practice time in half"...and shortchange all of the other kids so her's can play.

I want every kid to have the opportunity to play hockey, but I, like most other hockey parents I know, don't want that to come at the expense of my child. My kid has been practicing and playing for 6 years now, so she thinks her kid should just walk in and be on the team because he wants to dabble in hockey...yeah, I don't think I don't think that would work out very well with the group of parents I know.

Edited to add: I referred to the author as 'she' in my post. The author is actually a 'he'. I guess that is how whiney the writer came off.
One of the reasons Hermantown has such a successful and large hockey program for a smaller town is the outdoor rinks next to the arena. They're perfect for kids to just try hockey,(they even have a pleasure rink for less experienced skaters) or filling the demand for ice time with teams regularly scheduling outdoor practices. Even with the crappy winter this year it's still common to see kids of varying skill levels on every rink each day.
badgermom78

Post by badgermom78 »

The writer came across as a Victim - frankly, he must not be that smart. Sign your kid up based on your own agenda, get the season started and blend in all the other activities within the schedule for the C team. Most coaches could care less by the time December rolls around that you are missing a few practices. As a Dad he failed his son.
upnorthfan

Post by upnorthfan »

I would like to have my kid try band, but only go to class twice a week. Could he also try the accelerated reading class, but he really only has time to do it twice a week. Could you please let "my" son try anything he wants and let "my" son do it at a time that is pleasing for "me"!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

upnorthfan wrote:I would like to have my kid try band, but only go to class twice a week. Could he also try the accelerated reading class, but he really only has time to do it twice a week. Could you please let "my" son try anything he wants and let "my" son do it at a time that is pleasing for "me"!
:idea: