Edina Squirt A - What's Up?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

summerisforbaseball

Edina Squirt A - What's Up?

Post by summerisforbaseball » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Edina bashers, please stay away. This is a question for the knowledgable....After watching one of the Edina Squirt A teams play in Fargo as well as other times this year + watching the other Squirt A team play, the question I have is, "what gives?" The skill level just isn't there. One of the lines in Fargo could barely make or catch a pass. Is the lesser on ice product simply because they went from 1 team to 2 teams in 2012/2013? (after Edina won Fargo two years in a row) Or, is the talent just down? No disrespect to Edina's A program but just curious what people think.

fanofthegame11

Post by fanofthegame11 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 pm

I have a player on one of the teams. The practices are frankly mite practices with little skill development. My kid has not improved like I thought he would. Neither team has won a big game. OMG, WBL, Chaska/Chan and others are simply better. EHA doesn't care about winning at the squirt level. If they did, they wouldn't have expanded to two teams nor would they have decided to not bring the former coach who didn't lose a game in two years while DEVELOPING the players. Bitter? Nah. But it could be so much better if the board hired more qualified people. Peace!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Is this the Made effect?

And "hiring" top coaches for squirts?

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 pm

fanofthegame11 wrote:I have a player on one of the teams. The practices are frankly mite practices with little skill development. My kid has not improved like I thought he would. Neither team has won a big game. OMG, WBL, Chaska/Chan and others are simply better. EHA doesn't care about winning at the squirt level. If they did, they wouldn't have expanded to two teams nor would they have decided to not bring the former coach who didn't lose a game in two years while DEVELOPING the players. Bitter? Nah. But it could be so much better if the board hired more qualified people. Peace!
That's rich - calling for the "hiring" of qualified coaches at Squirts. Even more rich is calling for the guy that went undefeated to come back so the kids could get more development. Isn't that the same guy that shortened the bench to the point that certain kids didn't touch the ice in the 3rd period of "Big" games - at squirts? I don't think he'd come back anyway, since all his kids are older now there's really nothing in it for him. Nice job ripping the volunteer coaches for not knowing what they're doing. By the way, most associations would kill for a 4-2 record in the Fargo tourney.

NatKingColeIV

Post by NatKingColeIV » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:55 pm

My son would not have made a Squirt A team if there was just one team. With that said, I have been disappointed with the practices and the lack of coaching during games. I think I can say this because I am born and raised in Hornetville but the parents, especially the moms, sure seem to care more about the A status than the players. Social status thing. After two years of running two teams an adjustment needs to be made to eliminate the, "buddy system" thing going on behind the scenes. Good time to get the soccer ball out.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I'd also say it's unfair to say they don't care about winning at the squirt level. They may just care more about winning at the peewee level, or bantam level...

I've not watched a squirt practice to comment on what they may or may not be improving, but I think it's great they're giving 30 kids a chance to compete with the best kids at their age group.

fanofthegame11

Post by fanofthegame11 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Blueandwhite guy, the 4 "wins" were against weak teams so the 4-2 record thing is over stated. Too much money for a weekend to attend knowing we would not win against top teams. Shouldn't be the case in Edina.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:05 pm

13 squirt teams this year?

Are there 5th and 6th graders in Edina that don't play hockey?

They're developing much more than the years with the coach that wore the undefeated hat. :roll:

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 pm

fanofthegame11 wrote:Blueandwhite guy, the 4 "wins" were against weak teams so the 4-2 record thing is over stated. Too much money for a weekend to attend knowing we would not win against top teams. Shouldn't be the case in Edina.
Well, not knowing the relative strength of the 100+ SqA teams in Fargo, I guess I stand corrected. Hopefully, the boys had fun. There's probably a Machine team they can move on to now that the season's almost over.

Redzonestance

Post by Redzonestance » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

EHA has so many kids playing hockey that two teams at the squirt is the way to go. Two teams were supposedly created to develop more kids. Ok, great then get coaches that develop players. I, along with a lot of other dads, have watched a lot of bad practices with a lot of standing around. Parents are too busy sad it is too expensive to have this happen. All I'm saying is do your homework on coaches and have some sort of touch based throughout the year. One of the teams has been a real disaster behind the scenes.

iseepalms

Post by iseepalms » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18 pm

For what was spent for one kid to play in Fargo, Food, Hotel, Gas and whatever my wife and I could go to Las Vegas. This Fargo thing is out of control in my eyes. The only team that can claim victory is Osseo/Maple Grove "A" Squirts. Who won the "B" Squirt tourny?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:40 pm

As a former board member (not Edina) I'd like to invite you and your other buddy dads to apply to coach a team next year.
And every "away" tourney costs that much. What do you think non-metro teams have to pay to come into town for your home tournaments?

Note to scheduler: our parents only want to pay for tourneys we can win. So good luck with that.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

iseepalms wrote:For what was spent for one kid to play in Fargo, Food, Hotel, Gas and whatever my wife and I could go to Las Vegas. This Fargo thing is out of control in my eyes. The only team that can claim victory is Osseo/Maple Grove "A" Squirts. Who won the "B" Squirt tourny?
A "AAA" club from Phoenix, AZ won the "B" side.

I question what the heck they were doing playing B. I don't know why Fargo allows out of state teams who are AAA in nature to play on the B side. I understand there is no such thing as Tier 1 for Squirts, however, these clubs are pulling kids from all over a metro area to play on these teams. In Fargo they are then competing with true association based teams. I am not against these teams playing in Fargo, it truly is a wonderful experience, just questioning why they are allowed to play B.

And to another poster, I've been to Vegas and I've been to the Squirt International and I'd take Fargo every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm actually a little sad my son only had the opportunity to experience it once. At least that's better than not at all.

iseepalms

Post by iseepalms » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Nevertomuch hockey,
You missed the point completely, Did you check out the hotel costs when the tournament is is town it skyrockets. Winning is not everything skill develoement is. SCBlueliner is right what is a AAA "B" team doing in the tournament. I bet winning was everything to them. If everyone had fun I am delightled. Was there any top "B" teams from Minnesota (Osseo/Maple Grove Gold, Johnson Como, Virginia or from across the border Hudson?

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:20 pm

iseepalms wrote:Nevertomuch hockey,
You missed the point completely, Did you check out the hotel costs when the tournament is is town it skyrockets. Winning is not everything skill develoement is. SCBlueliner is right what is a AAA "B" team doing in the tournament. I bet winning was everything to them. If everyone had fun I am delightled. Was there any top "B" teams from Minnesota (Osseo/Maple Grove Gold, Johnson Como, Virginia or from across the border Hudson?
OMG was there on the B side, so was Hudson. They won the first few games but bowed out in in game 3 in OT to a team from Las Vegas. The semis were Phoenix vs Des Moines, IA, and Lincoln, NE vs OMG. Phoenix and Lincoln met in the finals with Phoenix winning 6-3.

I agree this tournament is more about the experience than it is about winning. There really can be only two winners, A & B. I just don't like it when some clubs fly in and go hunting on the B side. On the flip side, maybe some of them don't know what level of play to expect so they defer to the B side, however, I do recognize some clubs who have been there multiple times. They should know by now.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 pm

They do that in St. Paul during tourney time too. And in every city that has a deal with the association to promote certain hotels during certain tourneys in exchange for...

50cent

Post by 50cent » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 pm

iseepalms---

Why are you asking "did you check out the hotel cost" but you are to lazzy to "Check Out" the results from the tournament? The hotel I stayed at cost were not far from the reg cost.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 pm

calling for the "hiring" of qualified coaches at Squirts.
You really should never see a coach running a practice any better than the one you're running. If you do get out the ol' pencil and write down his best drills. Coaches need to spend 10-15 minutes before each practice writing their plan and maybe a few more minutes each week looking for new and better stuff. January practices should be different than November ones. Edina has 5-6 dads that want to coach in games but they can't have the best practice on the west side? Each team has to have a coach that's a drill meister.

Associations generally have hockey directors that can help all coaches with practice plans. Think about it... There is no reason for any one coach having better practices than any other. Coaches also attend MN Hockey coaching certification meetings where they pass out books full of drills. And, several free online tools for drills.

workedhardhavefun

Post by workedhardhavefun » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Its easy to sit back and say all this stuff when you hide behind your user name. Have some balls and either put your name on this site, leave the association if your unhappy, or pick up the phone and call the coaches. There pretty nice guys!

Ive had a child on a C team, a B team, and an A team. The Moms I know only care about if their kid is playing well, is safe, and if there is another nice mom to sit and chat with in the stands...come on! There is no buddy system behind the scenes.

Cathy Williams

MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:08 pm

workedhardhavefun wrote:Its easy to sit back and say all this stuff when you hide behind your user name. Have some balls and either put your name on this site, leave the association if your unhappy, or pick up the phone and call the coaches. There pretty nice guys!

Ive had a child on a C team, a B team, and an A team. The Moms I know only care about if their kid is playing well, is safe, and if there is another nice mom to sit and chat with in the stands...come on! There is no buddy system behind the scenes.

Cathy Williams
=D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

jackstraw

Post by jackstraw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 pm

I like Cathy Williams!

Blueliner16

Post by Blueliner16 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 am

When their kid doesn't make the top team there is always a buddy system involved and to why their kid got screwed

Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 am

Cathy that is one of the best posts on the forum. I agree if you don't have the balls to talk to the coach don't complain behind the scenes. However I would suggest when talking to the coach do not do it when you are angry or it will go nowhere. Keep up the good work Edina coaches.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:57 am

MrBoDangles wrote:13 squirt teams this year?

Are there 5th and 6th graders in Edina that don't play hockey?

They're developing much more than the years with the coach that wore the undefeated hat. :roll:
Visor ... undefeated visor.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

dlow

Post by dlow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

This post is funny. Both edina squirt a teams have had very successful years. With their numbers they could probably even add a third squirt a team.