2014 Brick Team Tryouts

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jaimefransway

2014 Brick Team Tryouts

Post by Jaimefransway » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:25 am

Open Tryout Information for The Brick Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament (2004 Boys)

March 1st 4:00-5:30pm at the Plymouth Ice Center (Rink A)
March 2nd 7:15-8:45am at the Plymouth Ice Center (Rink A)

The 2013 Brick team will travel to Edmonton for 10 days June 28th-July 7th to compete against North America’s best ten year olds in The Brick Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament. All 2004 Minnesota born players have the opportunity to try out for the 2014 Brick team. The Brick Invitational is the most unique and competitive hockey experience in North America and it only includes elite single level 10 year old players. Similar to the Little League World Series, it is truly a once in a lifetime experience! Last year’s tournament featured 6 teams from the US and 8 teams from Canada.

Some of the top stars in the NHL cite playing in The Brick Invitational as one of their greatest hockey memories. Some of the past particpants include the likes of Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews, Dany Heatley, Dion Phaneuf, Dustin Byfuglien, P.K. Subban and Blake Wheeler to name a few.

If you wish to register for this open try out, please go to our website.
www.minnesotablades.com
Last edited by Jaimefransway on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSR

Re: 2014 Brick Team Tryouts

Post by JSR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Jaimefransway wrote:Open Tryout Information for The Brick Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament (2004 Boys)

The 2013 Brick team will travel to Edmonton for 10 days June 28th-July 7th to compete against North America’s best ten year olds in The Brick Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament. All 2004 Minnesota born players have the opportunity to try out for the 2014 Brick team. The Brick Invitational is the most unique and competitive hockey experience in North America and it only includes elite single level 10 year old players. Similar to the Little League World Series, it is truly a once in a lifetime experience! Last year’s tournament featured 6 teams from the US and 8 teams from Canada.

Some of the top stars in the NHL cite playing in The Brick Invitational as one of their greatest hockey memories. Some of the past particpants include the likes of Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews, Mark Messier, Dany Heatley, Dion Phaneuf, Dustin Byfuglien, P.K. Subban and Blake Wheeler to name a few.

www.minnesotablades.com
Mark Messier???? The Brick only dates back to the early 1990's and it's only for squirts, in fact according to the Brick's official website the "idea" was only conjured in 1990. In 1990 Messier was 30 years old so how in the world did Mark Messier play in it then?

Jaimefransway

Re: 2014 Brick Team Tryouts

Post by Jaimefransway » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm

JSR wrote:
Jaimefransway wrote:Open Tryout Information for The Brick Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament (2004 Boys)

Some of the top stars in the NHL cite playing in The Brick Invitational as one of their greatest hockey memories. Some of the past particpants include the likes of Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews, Mark Messier, Dany Heatley, Dion Phaneuf, Dustin Byfuglien, P.K. Subban and Blake Wheeler to name a few.

www.minnesotablades.com
Mark Messier???? The Brick only dates back to the early 1990's and it's only for squirts, in fact according to the Brick's official website the "idea" was only conjured in 1990. In 1990 Messier was 30 years old so how in the world did Mark Messier play in it then?
You are correct. Mark should not have been included in the literature about the Brick. I will remove his name from The MN Blades website.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:40 am

I love these theads. At least untill they lock them !! :lol:

gowild5555

Brick

Post by gowild5555 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 am

Question: Will they really take outside players (like - Miracle Gold, Machine, Velocity, Euro, Warriors, Hometown)? Or will they just stick with the 2004 Blades roster and try to win a game or two? I hope they have a big turn out so they have a tough time choosing the best players to win it all. I think each team I listed could have at least a few players on that team. Who is coaching it?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:45 am

Take the whole orange team.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 am

Unlike 03 team, Blades were not successful in recruiting many of the "best" players prior to tryout from other teams. JMO, but if they don't take kids from other programs to solidify the roster, they will not be team Minnesota in any sense of the word and will really struggle at the Brick. Also unlike 03 team, 04 group is not as strong vs other programs to start with based upon previous seasons results. MG 04 group is hands down the strongest group of this age group.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Sounds like the numbers at tryouts were very low. I was not in attendence, but heard 25? Can anyone confirm? What was skill level? What helmet stickers were seen?

observer

Post by observer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Top AAA teams have heavy schedules of practices and games throughout the summer. When you are a member of a top AAA team it can be difficult to take the time off to join another team temporarily and properly prepare for the Brick Tourney. The player might fall out of favor with their primary AAA team. As commitment levels get higher each season it seems to be coming more difficult for the Blades to ask top players to leave their team commitment behind while they prepare for and play at the Brick. Hopefully coaches aren't being to forceful. Unfortunate.

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

observer wrote:Top AAA teams have heavy schedules of practices and games throughout the summer. When you are a member of a top AAA team it can be difficult to take the time off to join another team temporarily and properly prepare for the Brick Tourney. The player might fall out of favor with their primary AAA team. As commitment levels get higher each season it seems to be coming more difficult for the Blades to ask top players to leave their team commitment behind while they prepare for and play at the Brick. Hopefully coaches aren't being to forceful. Unfortunate.
It's funny, in alot of other areas that have brick teams the "top" teams in those areas actually suspend their programs for that age level for that year. For instance in Chicagoland there is no Bauer Selects 2004 team this year at all. It allows the top 2004 players from that area to focus solely on the Brick Team without the types of worries you are referring to and those players only play and practice for the Jr Blackhawks until the Brick is over. TI, CYA, the Mission, and the Fury all have their spring programs still for the players who do not make the Brick but the Bauer Selects are suspended and any Brick players are "forgiven" for those other spring teams. I know several others do the same. Perhaps MN could learn a lesson from other regions and suspend those age groups or atleast do something different at the Brick age groups each year so as to allow the very best from MN to participate if they wanted to. Just saying it works elsewhere..... :idea:

HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am

JSR wrote:
observer wrote:Top AAA teams have heavy schedules of practices and games throughout the summer. When you are a member of a top AAA team it can be difficult to take the time off to join another team temporarily and properly prepare for the Brick Tourney. The player might fall out of favor with their primary AAA team. As commitment levels get higher each season it seems to be coming more difficult for the Blades to ask top players to leave their team commitment behind while they prepare for and play at the Brick. Hopefully coaches aren't being to forceful. Unfortunate.
It's funny, in alot of other areas that have brick teams the "top" teams in those areas actually suspend their programs for that age level for that year. For instance in Chicagoland there is no Bauer Selects 2004 team this year at all. It allows the top 2004 players from that area to focus solely on the Brick Team without the types of worries you are referring to and those players only play and practice for the Jr Blackhawks until the Brick is over. TI, CYA, the Mission, and the Fury all have their spring programs still for the players who do not make the Brick but the Bauer Selects are suspended and any Brick players are "forgiven" for those other spring teams. I know several others do the same. Perhaps MN could learn a lesson from other regions and suspend those age groups or atleast do something different at the Brick age groups each year so as to allow the very best from MN to participate if they wanted to. Just saying it works elsewhere..... :idea:
In reality the only people who care about "The Brick" are the parents of the little superstars whose year is to go or maybe the parents of kids a year or two out.

Suspend a program like the Machine or Miracle Gold so that the Blades organization reaps the benefits? Get real. Every year it's the same banter about how everyone should bow to the greater good of the brick and teams should willingly hand over the kids they rely on to make their program strong to a competitor. Honestly I just don't understand why they resist. :roll:

I do watch it and enjoy the competition at the tournament, but it is what it is. I don't see Minnesota having several great programs who are unwilling to pimp out their 10 year old talent as a huge problem for long term development.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:10 pm

HockeyDad41 wrote:
JSR wrote:
In reality the only people who care about "The Brick" are the parents of the little superstars whose year is to go or maybe the parents of kids a year or two out.

Suspend a program like the Machine or Miracle Gold so that the Blades organization reaps the benefits? Get real. Every year it's the same banter about how everyone should bow to the greater good of the brick and teams should willingly hand over the kids they rely on to make their program strong to a competitor. Honestly I just don't understand why they resist. :roll:

I do watch it and enjoy the competition at the tournament, but it is what it is. I don't see Minnesota having several great programs who are unwilling to pimp out their 10 year old talent as a huge problem for long term development.
Well it is probably a little discombobulating for certain competitiors that the "Blades" has the charter for Minnesota, it probably would not be the issue that it is if somehow the charter was a stand alone charter with no relationship to any existing AAA club. I bet parents who have kids in position for this team would then feel alot more comfortable letting them play for the Brick team for MN and not worrying about so called "reprecussions" from their AAA club... That said I think it's hilarious parents even worry about such trivial nonsense, I mean if little Johnny is that good, that passionate, that hard workinng, and that gifted, well he'll continue to be that way regardless of whether or not he ever plays for the Orange, or Blades or whomever they think is great up there... If you want to go to the Brick then just go do it, who cares what your organization says, trust me a different top notch organization wil be glad to have him and he'll be no worse for wear... guess what, there are a whole bnch of kids who make it to D1 or beyond that never ever played for any of those teams :idea: :arrow: