Just for the record

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Caketastegreat

Just for the record

Post by Caketastegreat »

lots of questions about why AAA teams from around the country can play at tourneys in MN or ND at the B level. Simple, they are younger. The rest of North America uses the Calendar year, MN does not. This is why MN is not allowed to compete at the National level for National championships, and teams need permission to play outside of MN. Not good or bad, but if you are playing an AA or AAA team from another state, just remember their teams are younger. If you are a Pee Wee B team, and play an A or AA team from another State, you are playing the equivalent of a squirt team (age wise in MN.

Edina's super Pee Wee A team, went to Michigan a couple of years ago and lost to Honey Baked in Michigan. Teams were essentially even, but Honeybaked was younger. Yes, they draw from a larger area, but they are darn good.

Not saying which is better, just giving you some background. plenty of good hockey around the country, and even Canada:)
50cent

Re: Just for the record

Post by 50cent »

Caketastegreat wrote:lots of questions about why AAA teams from around the country can play at tourneys in MN or ND at the B level. Simple, they are younger. The rest of North America uses the Calendar year, MN does not. This is why MN is not allowed to compete at the National level for National championships, and teams need permission to play outside of MN. Not good or bad, but if you are playing an AA or AAA team from another state, just remember their teams are younger. If you are a Pee Wee B team, and play an A or AA team from another State, you are playing the equivalent of a squirt team (age wise in MN.

Edina's super Pee Wee A team, went to Michigan a couple of years ago and lost to Honey Baked in Michigan. Teams were essentially even, but Honeybaked was younger. Yes, they draw from a larger area, but they are darn good

Not saying which is better, just giving you some background. plenty of good hockey around the country, and even Canada:)
Ummm,,, not sure who you think asked this question? I think anyone who is from MN understands the level of play, other then "iseepalms" and I would not want to see it any other way. 04 playing against 02 in squirts in my opinion is the best of both worlds. AAA is for summer and MN just does it differently.

As for the super A peewee team? What are you alluding to?

But thanks for the background that no one was asking for.
Caketastegreat

50cent

Post by Caketastegreat »

You are a dope!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Caketastegreat wrote:lots of questions about why AAA teams from around the country can play at tourneys in MN or ND at the B level. Simple, they are younger. The rest of North America uses the Calendar year, MN does not. This is why MN is not allowed to compete at the National level for National championships, and teams need permission to play outside of MN. Not good or bad, but if you are playing an AA or AAA team from another state, just remember their teams are younger. If you are a Pee Wee B team, and play an A or AA team from another State, you are playing the equivalent of a squirt team (age wise in MN.

Edina's super Pee Wee A team, went to Michigan a couple of years ago and lost to Honey Baked in Michigan. Teams were essentially even, but Honeybaked was younger. Yes, they draw from a larger area, but they are darn good.

I am sorry, but you are wrong in some of your statements.
Caketastegreat

Wrong?

Post by Caketastegreat »

Could be?

Edina pee wee A team (MN made) losing to Honeybaked? Correct

Teams from outside of state younger? Correct

MN teams allowed to play for US Championships? Correct

But I am willing to listen:)
Caketastegreat

Age cutoff

Post by Caketastegreat »

MN hockey June 30th cutoff for age.

Rest of North America Dec. 31st.

6 month difference.

That is why teams from outside of state can play down. Simple, MN age cutoff means that these teams are younger!

Most Squirt A players in MN would be PEE WEE age everywhere else. Get it?
50cent

Re: Age cutoff

Post by 50cent »

Caketastegreat wrote:MN hockey June 30th cutoff for age.

6 month difference.

That is why teams from outside of state can play down. Simple, MN age cutoff means that these teams are younger!

Ok. I get it. You are BUTTHURT. Your little Stevie was beat by older boys. Boo who...

Now lets get back to what really matters... High School Hockey Tournament.
50cent

Re: Age cutoff

Post by 50cent »

Caketastegreat wrote:MN hockey June 30th cutoff for age.

6 month difference.

Ok. I get it. You are BUTTHURT. Your little Stevie was beat by older boys. Boo who...

Now lets get back to what really matters... High School Hockey Tournament.
Caketastegreat

Yes lets get back to HS

Post by Caketastegreat »

Edina cleans clock!! Stillwater game was a joke. Maybe Edina should have 2 teams? Oh, that's right, Edina already fills Benilde, Breck, Holy Angels as well! Time for some cake!
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Hey 50 cent,
This is the second post you mention butthurt you might need counseling I am worried about you and children.
Caketastegreat

I agree!!

Post by Caketastegreat »

Maybe 50 Cent ought to stick with rapping? Not much input about hockey? :lol:
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Wrong, wrong, so wrong. I know what post you are alluding to, it was mine in a thread about the Fargo squirt tourney. The fact some of these teams are AAA in nature (though not in fact because it doesn't exist at squirts) is what equalizes them against playing "older" kids. They should be playing in the A bracket. I think it was some AAA team from Arizona that won the B side. Great accomplishment until you see they beat Sioux City, IA, Des Moines, IA, and Lincoln, NE to do it. All of those teams are association teams that go by USA Hockey age guidelines. So I guess, congrats on beating teams your own age?
Caketastegreat

Sorry, but I am correct

Post by Caketastegreat »

There are AAA teams at all levels across the country. All that means, is that they are from a wide area and not association. My son played AAA mite. he played in Pee Wee Quebec. He played for the National Championship at Pee Wee. I am not sure they are even allowed to play A teams from MN without USA hockey approval? Most squirt A players in MN would be too old to play Squirts anywhere else. It wouldn't be fair to play a MN A team. If you play AAA in the Spring or summer you convert to USA hockey rules. That's when MN teams play their equals at Tourneys. Can't play in North American Silver Sticks or USA National Championships though. Every year USA hockey crowns National Champs. MN will never play for that. The oath American Silver Sticks is for the best US and Canadian teams. MN not allowed. A MN Squirt A team is equivalent to a USA or Canada AAA first year Pee Wee team. Pretty confident in this, since I coached AAA in multiple states at all levels. MN baseball doesn't play in Little League either. But, check it out and if you find something different let me know. like to keep an open mind:) Thanks
Caketastegreat

Sorry, but I am correct

Post by Caketastegreat »

There are AAA teams at all levels across the country. All that means, is that they are from a wide area and not association. My son played AAA mite. he played in Pee Wee Quebec. He played for the National Championship at Pee Wee. I am not sure they are even allowed to play A teams from MN without USA hockey approval? Most squirt A players in MN would be too old to play Squirts anywhere else. It wouldn't be fair to play a MN A team. If you play AAA in the Spring or summer you convert to USA hockey rules. That's when MN teams play their equals at Tourneys. Can't play in North American Silver Sticks or USA National Championships though. Every year USA hockey crowns National Champs. MN will never play for that. The oath American Silver Sticks is for the best US and Canadian teams. MN not allowed. A MN Squirt A team is equivalent to a USA or Canada AAA first year Pee Wee team. Pretty confident in this, since I coached AAA in multiple states at all levels. MN baseball doesn't play in Little League either. But, check it out and if you find something different let me know. like to keep an open mind:) Thanks
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

MN baseball doesn't play in Little League either.
So many to choose from; I'll just pick the last one.
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

I have a feeling this guy is over on the Wisconsin Cheese bulletin board today. Giving everyone unsolicited facts about cheese. Turns out they've been doing it wrong. His kid is actually a champion AAA cheese maker up in Ontario where things are done the right way. By birth year.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Re: Sorry, but I am correct

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

Caketastegreat wrote:There are AAA teams at all levels across the country. All that means, is that they are from a wide area and not association. My son played AAA mite. he played in Pee Wee Quebec. He played for the National Championship at Pee Wee. I am not sure they are even allowed to play A teams from MN without USA hockey approval? Most squirt A players in MN would be too old to play Squirts anywhere else. It wouldn't be fair to play a MN A team. If you play AAA in the Spring or summer you convert to USA hockey rules. That's when MN teams play their equals at Tourneys. Can't play in North American Silver Sticks or USA National Championships though. Every year USA hockey crowns National Champs. MN will never play for that. The oath American Silver Sticks is for the best US and Canadian teams. MN not allowed. A MN Squirt A team is equivalent to a USA or Canada AAA first year Pee Wee team. Pretty confident in this, since I coached AAA in multiple states at all levels. MN baseball doesn't play in Little League either. But, check it out and if you find something different let me know. like to keep an open mind:) Thanks
Since when did MN stop being part of Little League?

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries ... idwest.htm

If you look at the attached link you will clearly see that Coon Rapids/Andover was in the midwest regional to go to the Little League World Series. So I am pretty sure they participate.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

What is Cakes point exactly?
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Cdale wrote:What is Cakes point exactly?
I have a feeling he got into Gram's rum balls at Edinborough.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
sagard

Post by sagard »

Bleed Maroon and Gold wrote: Since when did MN stop being part of Little League?

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries ... idwest.htm

If you look at the attached link you will clearly see that Coon Rapids/Andover was in the midwest regional to go to the Little League World Series. So I am pretty sure they participate.
There are small pockets of Little League in Minnesota, but most communities believe 12 year olds need to move up a bigger field, learn to lead off, pitch from a stretch and pitch from a greater distance.

While we certainly do play LL, when we rarely if ever can beat IA at baseball you have to figure we aren't trying very hard.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Caketastegreat wrote:There are AAA teams at all levels across the country. All that means, is that they are from a wide area and not association. My son played AAA mite. he played in Pee Wee Quebec. He played for the National Championship at Pee Wee. I am not sure they are even allowed to play A teams from MN without USA hockey approval? Most squirt A players in MN would be too old to play Squirts anywhere else. It wouldn't be fair to play a MN A team. If you play AAA in the Spring or summer you convert to USA hockey rules. That's when MN teams play their equals at Tourneys. Can't play in North American Silver Sticks or USA National Championships though. Every year USA hockey crowns National Champs. MN will never play for that. The oath American Silver Sticks is for the best US and Canadian teams. MN not allowed. A MN Squirt A team is equivalent to a USA or Canada AAA first year Pee Wee team. Pretty confident in this, since I coached AAA in multiple states at all levels. MN baseball doesn't play in Little League either. But, check it out and if you find something different let me know. like to keep an open mind:) Thanks
I love how some AAA dude brings this up every month. Yes, some of the kids on the MN teams are older, but they also have kids on the team that are YOUNGER than their AAA opponents. MN draws from small, local Associations while the AAA teams cherry pick from 5 million in a large Metro area. Nobody in MN complains, why do you?

You're correct, MN will never play for National Championships. If they wanted to they would, but they don't care. Nothing compares to MN Association based hockey. Even if you won't admit it, you know it. The MN State Tournament is the pinnacle of Hockey for those kids. After that, anything else would be a letdown. Do you really need Minnesota that bad to bring legitimacy to your National Championship? Just enjoy it, I'm sure it's a good experience for the kids.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Froggy Richards wrote:
I love how some AAA dude brings this up every month. Yes, some of the kids on the MN teams are older, but they also have kids on the team that are YOUNGER than their AAA opponents. MN draws from small, local Associations while the AAA teams cherry pick from 5 million in a large Metro area. Nobody in MN complains, why do you?

You're correct, MN will never play for National Championships. If they wanted to they would, but they don't care. Nothing compares to MN Association based hockey. Even if you won't admit it, you know it. The MN State Tournament is the pinnacle of Hockey for those kids. After that, anything else would be a letdown. Do you really need Minnesota that bad to bring legitimacy to your National Championship? Just enjoy it, I'm sure it's a good experience for the kids.
I agree with everything you wrote above except for the National Championship comment. I believe our Pee Wee AA and A, and Bantam AA and A champions are going to Nationals in Madison,WI this spring.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

zooomx wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

I agree with everything you wrote above except for the National Championship comment. I believe our Pee Wee AA and A, and Bantam AA and A champions are going to Nationals in Madison,WI this spring.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. How does that work with the age requirements? I thought you had to go by birth year in order to do it.
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

This one has always bugged me... You can't simply say "AAA teams are younger". It's just not the reality of either MN hockey or AAA hockey. This really should be remedial, but here goes: In MN you have up to 3 possible birth years for each "branch" of hockey (squirt, pee wee, bantam). So as an example, in bantams this year you have birth years 1998, 1999 and 2000. Pee wees are 2002, 2001 and 2000. That also encompasses 2 grades. So on any given team, your team would be made up of kids interspersed between 3 birth years and 2 grades. IF your team plays a AAA team from out of state, they would play that middle year of the 3 birth years. So Bantams this year would play 1999 AAA teams. Pee Wees this year would play 2001 teams. Saying one team is older or younger is almost impossible given these realities. You can ASSUME that the top teams in AA in MN for Bantams, as an example, are mainly 9th graders and many 1998's. But that assumption is only true in some cases. Likewise, for the top AAA teams, you can ASSUME they are mainly early birth years. So when a Bantam AA team from MN plays a 1999 AAA team, BOTH teams would be made up primarily of 9th graders. The Bantam AA team would have some early 1998 players, many 1999 players, and some late 2000 players. The AAA team would have mainly 9th graders who are all 1999 birth year. Is it more likely than not that the aggregate age of the Bantam AA team would be older than the aggregate age of the AAA team? Probably. But not by that much. And certainly these kids are not "a year younger". The difference between December 31, 1998 and January 1, 1999 is one day. They are 2 separate birth years. They would both be in the same grade. This is a non-issue. The more relavant one is that there are MANY very good players outside of MN playing high-end hockey, and MN needs to see the realties of the hockey world are changing. The article in the paper a while back regarding the 40 players or so not playing high school hockey who are playing elsewhere is NOT an anomoly. Most of these kids are not 2nd liners... I don't know if there is any "correct" view on what works. I suppose the fact these kids have options can only be a positive for them in the end.
B_Rad

Post by B_Rad »

Where's HD41 when you need him?