Minnesota Select Stinks

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BluehawkHockey

Minnesota Select Stinks

Post by BluehawkHockey »

First off, let me say I am a disgruntled parent. My daughter has been invited to selects twice and has had the invitation pulled both times. Once by the coach and the second time by the board.

This time it was because she isn't in the region that she was asked to play for. They have known for months. The coach from the home region was ok with it. But now the board suddenly has a problem with it even though this same thing has been happening for years in selects.

If you know of anyone playing Selects in the wrong region, DM me. I want to know.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Dont sweat it. Its too bad she was asked and then denied. If she was asked by a team out of her region the coach should have told you this could happen.

Save the money on tourney cost and the hotel. Its a who u know thing not a best player thing.

Done it once wouldnt go again.

Super Series is the same deal..
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

She has played in all the others. She wanted to play in this one just to have them all. Disappointed they would screw her over twice. Especially since they are using a lame excuse. I know of many players who have crossed regions in the past and I'm sure they will this year as well.
HOCKEYDRIVER

Post by HOCKEYDRIVER »

Why isn't she playing in her region. Sounds to me like you tried it twice.
The 1st time the coach said yes, then the coach said no ? Then you found a way back in again. This time the Selects board said no.
Sounds like you are getting burned by your own game playing.
Why should she play over a kid that lives in that region.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

BluehawkHockey wrote:She has played in all the others. She wanted to play in this one just to have them all. Disappointed they would screw her over twice. Especially since they are using a lame excuse. I know of many players who have crossed regions in the past and I'm sure they will this year as well.
I don't know about the girls side, but the boys side is very much stay within your own region. One of the reasons this festival is the best of those out there. Others say they do this, but not so much. MN Selects is very strict on this. Skills competition is top. holding regions to three max skaters from any one assocation gives this festival more credibility then any of the other IMO. Several years my boys have participated. Over many years, saw one instance where a kid was allowed to play outside of region, but was up north and there was confusion on which region Moorhead belonged in (it is in the west region). The directors of each region hold each other accountable for staying within the region.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

becasue the regions are large this happens a lot. there are outstate kids tagged to the primarily metro associations. and vice versa.

an example is alexandria...usually tagged to the west region but any player there may be better known in the north region.

or North half of D10 is tagged to the North Region where none of the coaches ever even see the D10 kids.

remember there is a directors cup, region with the most points wins... directors get rewarded. so they wont always let a coach from one region take a player from another even if the home region coach is not planning on taking the player.

good stuff.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

black sheep wrote:becasue the regions are large this happens a lot. there are outstate kids tagged to the primarily metro associations. and vice versa.

an example is alexandria...usually tagged to the west region but any player there may be better known in the north region.

or North half of D10 is tagged to the North Region where none of the coaches ever even see the D10 kids.

remember there is a directors cup, region with the most points wins... directors get rewarded. so they wont always let a coach from one region take a player from another even if the home region coach is not planning on taking the player.

good stuff.
Can you explain this a little more????
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

These are all post-season for profit youth "all star" games dependent on a coach trying to recruit good players.

I dare say the only people who brag about this kind of thing are parents.

My daughter's playing to have fun with her friends and see some friends on other teams. Beyond that, pass the beer nuts.
B-Ville Hockey Guy

Post by B-Ville Hockey Guy »

jg2112 wrote:These are all post-season for profit youth "all star" games dependent on a coach trying to recruit good players.

My daughter's playing to have fun with her friends and see some friends on other teams. Beyond that, pass the beer nuts.
MN Selects is non profit. I have had my kids participate in the tourney and it is always a good time. I have also been involved in the Super-Series which is a fundraiiser for the Blades. Both of these tourneys are a good value 4 practices and 4 games with jersey and other trinkets for around $200. Not a huge per hour $ amount ini my mind for a weekend of good competitiion and fun.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

B-Ville Hockey Guy wrote:
jg2112 wrote:These are all post-season for profit youth "all star" games dependent on a coach trying to recruit good players.

MN Selects is non profit. I have had my kids participate in the tourney and it is always a good time. I have also been involved in the Super-Series which is a fundraiiser for the Blades. Both of these tourneys are a good value 4 practices and 4 games with jersey and other trinkets for around $200. Not a huge per hour $ amount ini my mind for a weekend of good competitiion and fun.
Non-profit, for-profit, doesn't matter. Like you said, it's a few practices and a few games. Where are those beer nuts?
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Take any of these for what they are. A fun weekend with usually pretty good competition! Best value? no, but not so bad for what you are getting either.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

My daughter has always had fun playing these things. Made some good friends that she gets to play against during the winter. I haven't played any games as someone posted. She was asked twice. We've never submitted her name or asked anyone to recommend her.

She has done 2 or 3 of these every spring for the last 3 years. Are they worth the money, probably not but she enjoyed them. Kept her on the ice between winter hockey and summer hockey.

This year it appears it is going to be even more expensive. Asked the president to refund our registration fee and let me know. That was on Tuesday. Haven't heard a peep from MN Selects since then. Real class organization.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

elliott70 wrote:
black sheep wrote:becasue the regions are large this happens a lot. there are outstate kids tagged to the primarily metro associations. and vice versa.

good stuff.
Can you explain this a little more????
There are directors for each region (north, south, east & west). They get points for each age level championship. Directors with the most points and the end of the festival win. It's meant to be an incentive for directors to be active in recruiting good coaches who will get good players to make a quality event. Which in most cases it is.

It does however lead to some "gamesmanship" in that regard.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I have no idea what kind of dollars flow through these things and am not insinuating any impropriety, but will point out that not-for-profit does not mean that nobody makes any money.
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

InigoMontoya wrote:

I have no idea what kind of dollars flow through these things and am not insinuating any impropriety, but will point out that not-for-profit does not mean that nobody makes any money.
No one is getting rich from either organization. Cash flows aren't great enough. Latest nonprofit tax filings show the Blades had a $30k net loss for 2012 with $442k of revenue and Minnesota Selects recorded $8k of profit in 2012 with $125k of revenue. All info available on the web.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

No one is getting rich from either organization.
Agreed. I'm just saying, simply gaining non-profit status from a tax standpoint doesn't make it a benevolent organization. We're not exactly feeding the homeless here.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

mnhockey2019 if you would be so kind as to either supply the link to in information either here or in a pm. Thank you
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

www.guidestar.org
Filings from the associations and Minnesota Hockey are available.