AAU Hockey Growing

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCBlueLiner

AAU Hockey Growing

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:55 pm

It's kind of a dead time of year around here but I did come across something recently. Though it does not apply to hockey in Minnesota (yet?) there does appear to be this growing movement of organizations switching over to AAU for Mite hockey. AAU is also taking that movement and trying to make inroads into Squirt hockey (and I think they would eventually move up the age groups from there as this continues to gain momentum).

AAU hockey for Mites first started in Michigan and now seems to have worked it's way into Chicago. How much further across the country will this spread? What is USA Hockey going to do to stop it? The mass marketing campaigns about cross-ice and ADM don't appear to be working.

Interesting times. I wonder what the future holds?

http://cayhockey.blogspot.com/2014/06/t ... .html#more

http://cayhockey.blogspot.com/

Froggy Richards

Re: AAU Hockey Growing

Post by Froggy Richards » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:It's kind of a dead time of year around here but I did come across something recently. Though it does not apply to hockey in Minnesota (yet?) there does appear to be this growing movement of organizations switching over to AAU for Mite hockey. AAU is also taking that movement and trying to make inroads into Squirt hockey (and I think they would eventually move up the age groups from there as this continues to gain momentum).

AAU hockey for Mites first started in Michigan and now seems to have worked it's way into Chicago. How much further across the country will this spread? What is USA Hockey going to do to stop it? The mass marketing campaigns about cross-ice and ADM don't appear to be working.

Not a big surprise. A lot of people just don't like the cross-ice mandate, or any mandate for that matter. I get it. It's tough for parents to watch their 05 or 06 play an offseason AAA schedule of full ice, competitive games and then go back to half ice. Especially the parents who didn't play Hockey, they just don't understand the benefits of it and think their kid is somehow getting cheated. But these same parents think nothing of playing on a smaller baseball or soccer field.

At least in Minnesota they compromised and allowed for full ice games after Dec. 31st so it really wasn't a problem. In other States like Wisconsin it was March 1st. If you had a full ice jamboree in the Duluth area you could count on the Superior, WI teams beating down your door. They could solve this by having three levels of Mites instead of two. Mite 1's and 2's play half ice, Mite 3's play full ice or a combination of both. I'm not sure what the reason would be to go AAU in Squirts though, unless people want to go over the number of games allowed by USA Hockey, which I think is already plenty.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:45 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:It's kind of a dead time of year around here but I did come across something recently. Though it does not apply to hockey in Minnesota (yet?) there does appear to be this growing movement of organizations switching over to AAU for Mite hockey. AAU is also taking that movement and trying to make inroads into Squirt hockey (and I think they would eventually move up the age groups from there as this continues to gain momentum).

Not a big surprise. A lot of people just don't like the cross-ice mandate, or any mandate for that matter. I get it. It's tough for parents to watch their 05 or 06 play an offseason AAA schedule of full ice, competitive games and then go back to half ice. Especially the parents who didn't play Hockey, they just don't understand the benefits of it and think their kid is somehow getting cheated. But these same parents think nothing of playing on a smaller baseball or soccer field.

At least in Minnesota they compromised and allowed for full ice games after Dec. 31st so it really wasn't a problem. In other States like Wisconsin it was March 1st. If you had a full ice jamboree in the Duluth area you could count on the Superior, WI teams beating down your door. They could solve this by having three levels of Mites instead of two. Mite 1's and 2's play half ice, Mite 3's play full ice or a combination of both. I'm not sure what the reason would be to go AAU in Squirts though, unless people want to go over the number of games allowed by USA Hockey, which I think is already plenty.
The reason for AAU is answered within your post. In Wisconsin the March 1st cutoff date is just too much. It allows for zero flexbility. So while AAU has made it's way into Chicago, if you knew the actual teams you'd see how many Wisconsin kids play on those teams, there are Chicago land kids too of course.

AAU is proliferating because in many peoples eyes USA Hockey has overstepped its bounds with it's "mandates". It's one thing to advise, encourage, educate and help grow, it's quite another to be a dictator and "mandate" things. We are a free country with an open market idealism, USA Hockey has finally found that people are tired of being dictated to and AAU was happy to pounce on that. Also, AAU has also already made in roads into squirts and pee wees as well and are hosting national championship tournaments at those levels. Again a direct response to USA Hockey cancelling those tournaments.

Again, advise, educate, encourage etc.... but when it comes down to it NO ONE, and that goes for EVERYONE, I mean no one likes being dictated to and told that only one way is the right way. People will rail against that even if they agree with it, they want the freedom of choice, they always have, no matter how well somone thinks something works, if there is no other choice people will rail against it until another option becomes available, even if it is viewed as a lesser option peple still want it because they want options, pure and simple.

Also, Froggy, you can see the merit in small area games and still not like the mandate the two are mutually exclusive things. I am a HUGE proponent of small area games at ALL levels, my own camps for older players have small area games at the very center of their core.

However, your soccer and baseball analogies are innaccurate in my opinion. The reason being is that in soccer and baseball the fields are smaller but they replicate and mimic an actual full field game, miniaturized yes, but they still look and feel like the real thing and the game itself mimics the real thing. The reality is that while incredibly beneficial small area games do not look and feel anything like a full ice game in hockey and that is the rub. If you could afford to have a bunch of smaller sized rinks that looked and felt like full size rinks only smaller (sort of like studio rinks but with some "adjusting") and played games on those rinks you wouldn't get near the resistance.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am

JSR wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

The reason for AAU is answered within your post. In Wisconsin the March 1st cutoff date is just too much. It allows for zero flexbility. So while AAU has made it's way into Chicago, if you knew the actual teams you'd see how many Wisconsin kids play on those teams, there are Chicago land kids too of course.

AAU is proliferating because in many peoples eyes USA Hockey has overstepped its bounds with it's "mandates". It's one thing to advise, encourage, educate and help grow, it's quite another to be a dictator and "mandate" things. We are a free country with an open market idealism, USA Hockey has finally found that people are tired of being dictated to and AAU was happy to pounce on that. Also, AAU has also already made in roads into squirts and pee wees as well and are hosting national championship tournaments at those levels. Again a direct response to USA Hockey cancelling those tournaments.

Again, advise, educate, encourage etc.... but when it comes down to it NO ONE, and that goes for EVERYONE, I mean no one likes being dictated to and told that only one way is the right way. People will rail against that even if they agree with it, they want the freedom of choice, they always have, no matter how well somone thinks something works, if there is no other choice people will rail against it until another option becomes available, even if it is viewed as a lesser option peple still want it because they want options, pure and simple.

Also, Froggy, you can see the merit in small area games and still not like the mandate the two are mutually exclusive things. I am a HUGE proponent of small area games at ALL levels, my own camps for older players have small area games at the very center of their core.

However, your soccer and baseball analogies are innaccurate in my opinion. The reason being is that in soccer and baseball the fields are smaller but they replicate and mimic an actual full field game, miniaturized yes, but they still look and feel like the real thing and the game itself mimics the real thing. The reality is that while incredibly beneficial small area games do not look and feel anything like a full ice game in hockey and that is the rub. If you could afford to have a bunch of smaller sized rinks that looked and felt like full size rinks only smaller (sort of like studio rinks but with some "adjusting") and played games on those rinks you wouldn't get near the resistance.
What I don't understand is why it would be different across states. Why can MN play full ice after Dec. 31st and Wisconsin not until March 1st? This makes no sense and if I was in Wisconsin I would be basically outraged by this. These are the types of stupid decisions that has led to this in the first place. If Wisconsin had the same rules as MN you might not see those Wisconsin kids playing in Illinois. Also, they threw Wisconsin an extra bone as well. They were allowed to have full ice tournaments after March 1st, score, penalties, standings, trophies, etc. MN was not allowed to do that. Again, why the different rules?

I agree that Soccer is pretty close. Soccer is a pretty basic game, go out and run and kick the ball and try to score. Any kid can do that at any age so there isn't much reason to change anything. But I don't think you can say that U8 Baseball is any closer to the real thing than half ice Hockey. In U8 baseball the coaches do the pitching, you don't strike out, you don't walk, you can't lead off, you can't steal, you bat the whole order and then switch, if you don't get a hit in a certain amount of pitches you hit off a tee, etc. I don't think that can be described as looking and feeling like the real thing. I guess my point is that sometimes we have to make adjustments for young kids in sports in order for them to have fun and get the most out of it. I have never heard any pushback on this in baseball, but yet it's rampant in Hockey.

I would love to see more small rinks pop up. There is only one that I know of in the Duluth area and the kids and parents both love it. Like you say, it looks and feels exactly like a real game yet it's on a smaller surface. It's an outdoor rink so not too expensive to build. The Mites use it for games but the funny thing is, I'm not sure USA Hockey would even approve of it because it's not Half/Cross ice.

I'm willing to bet we'll see changes next year. Look for USA Hockey to soften their stance on this as it looks like they don't have much choice. I would think if they just allowed every state to do the same thing Minnesota did last year that would be enough for people to get behind it.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 am

To answer the question of what USAH can do to stop it, I think there needs to be compromise. I think they need to push the Minnesota model for Mites on a national scale.

There was also something mentioned in that article about game limits. To my knowledge, USAH does not set game limits. They make recommendations but it is the affiliates who set rules like that. If Illinois has an issue about game limits they need to take it up with their Illinois affiliate, not USAH.

I don't want to see USAH splintered in this way. I am actually concerned about the future of the organization at this point. For all of my complaints and jabs I make about USAH I do see all the good things they have done for the sport as well.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Froggy Richards wrote:
JSR wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:

What I don't understand is why it would be different across states. Why can MN play full ice after Dec. 31st and Wisconsin not until March 1st? This makes no sense and if I was in Wisconsin I would be basically outraged by this. These are the types of stupid decisions that has led to this in the first place. If Wisconsin had the same rules as MN you might not see those Wisconsin kids playing in Illinois. Also, they threw Wisconsin an extra bone as well. They were allowed to have full ice tournaments after March 1st, score, penalties, standings, trophies, etc. MN was not allowed to do that. Again, why the different rules?

I agree that Soccer is pretty close. Soccer is a pretty basic game, go out and run and kick the ball and try to score. Any kid can do that at any age so there isn't much reason to change anything. But I don't think you can say that U8 Baseball is any closer to the real thing than half ice Hockey. In U8 baseball the coaches do the pitching, you don't strike out, you don't walk, you can't lead off, you can't steal, you bat the whole order and then switch, if you don't get a hit in a certain amount of pitches you hit off a tee, etc. I don't think that can be described as looking and feeling like the real thing. I guess my point is that sometimes we have to make adjustments for young kids in sports in order for them to have fun and get the most out of it. I have never heard any pushback on this in baseball, but yet it's rampant in Hockey.

I would love to see more small rinks pop up. There is only one that I know of in the Duluth area and the kids and parents both love it. Like you say, it looks and feels exactly like a real game yet it's on a smaller surface. It's an outdoor rink so not too expensive to build. The Mites use it for games but the funny thing is, I'm not sure USA Hockey would even approve of it because it's not Half/Cross ice.

I'm willing to bet we'll see changes next year. Look for USA Hockey to soften their stance on this as it looks like they don't have much choice. I would think if they just allowed every state to do the same thing Minnesota did last year that would be enough for people to get behind it.
The different affiliates are allowed ot put in their own additiional rules, that is why you see differences across states. Yes WAHA allows full ice after March 1st but is that really a concession, I mean for the most part the season is over after March 1xst and spring AAA starts taking over anyway and there is nothing USAH can do to regulate spring hockey for the most part so the March 1st date is really pretty ridiculous and is not a concession at all IMHO, and the ffolks in WI are prretty much outraged by it, I think we'll be the next dominoe in the AAU line to fall if things do not change. This also dove tails on the game limit stuff, interestingly we have no game limits in WI to my knowledge, atleast at squirt and older but it's tough to figure out at the mite level right now....

I disagre with you that soccer is basic, for those that understand the game it's far more involved and skilled than most sports and is much more on par with hockey than soccer in this analogy actually. If we decided to nitpick soccer the way you did baseball we could talk about no offsides, being able to redo throwins, the escalation from 5 players, to 6, players, to 8 players, to 11 players, and about 17 oher modified rules. Also, the modified rules you listed for baseball are different down here we don't coach pitch we use pitching machine but put a player next to the machine to assume all duties except for the pitching, we never hit off a tee at U8, you can strike out.... but anyway the reality is that even when mites were full ice there were modified rules in some leagues like no offsides, or no tag up offsides or delayed offsides, no checking etc.... but if you looked at the modified rules if you actually had those smaller rinks we discussed the analogy would almost be direct between soccer and hockey IMHO, but like you said the hilariousness would be that USAH probably wouldn't approve which shows how out of touch they are with their consttituents.... :roll:

To say that everyone would be behind it if they did what MN did is probably also a misnomer, I mean Illinois could play full ice after December 1st last year and that was not good enough for them, AAU literally exploded down there despite that. the AAU teams had a full ice season that went from October 1st to December 31st because hundereds of parents weren't even willing to wait til December 1st.

I agree that compromise is good and liek I said I see alot of value in small area games but the dictatorship needs to end before they cut their nose off to spite their face at USAH. To me the compromise would be to come back and say there is no cut off date, you can play full ice games day 1 but you are limited to 50% of your games being full ice during the winter season, so the other 50% have to be small area games. The other "compromise" should be that they don't have to be cross-ice games, they can be tag up, cross ice, or half ice games and they can be allowed to keep score if they want. To me that would be satisfactory, anyting less and AAU will continue to grow. I also think they would be well advised to bring back the Pee Wee national championship tourney. Regardless of whether you or I or they like it or not, it's clear that there are thousands clamoring for it and if the folks at USAH don't host it and control it and provide it then AAU will.

bestpopcorn

Post by bestpopcorn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Not a big surprise. A lot of people just don't like the cross-ice mandate, or any mandate for that matter.
"New boss...,same as the old boss."

My guess is with just a bit of searching you can find a huge crowd of people that hate the AAU rules regarding whichever sport they are in.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 pm

bestpopcorn wrote:
Not a big surprise. A lot of people just don't like the cross-ice mandate, or any mandate for that matter.

My guess is with just a bit of searching you can find a huge crowd of people that hate the AAU rules regarding whichever sport they are in.
I've never known the words "AAU" and "rules" to go together.

Edited to add: I take this back. I just looked up the tournament rules for AAU Ice Hockey. Holy crap! It kind of resembles the game of hockey but I'm not sure. Two halves instead of 3 periods. Players removed from the "floor" for penalties. Only five face-off dots. Neutral zone face-offs for offsides.

Interesting. http://aauhockey.org/RulesClinics/AAUTo ... lines.aspx

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:
bestpopcorn wrote:

I've never known the words "AAU" and "rules" to go together.

Edited to add: I take this back. I just looked up the tournament rules for AAU Ice Hockey. Holy crap! It kind of resembles the game of hockey but I'm not sure. Two halves instead of 3 periods. Players removed from the "floor" for penalties. Only five face-off dots. Neutral zone face-offs for offsides.

Interesting. http://aauhockey.org/RulesClinics/AAUTo ... lines.aspx
SC,

Your link is for AAU Roller Hockey. Ice Hockey can be found at www.aauicehockey.org.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am

That makes more sense then. I was at the AAU ice hockey website, don't know how I got redirected to the other site.

zambonidriver

AAU

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 am

The AAU used to be the most powerful governing body in amateur sport. It was also the most corrupt. For most of the 20th century it was controlled by Avery Brundage. As with all organizations it grew to be to big and groups like USA hockey split off. Minnesota Made choice leagues are AAU leagues and they hosted the squirt national tournament last spring.

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 pm

I learned from my family in Chicago that assoc have created a separate team within their organization that is AAU affiliated. The caveat is that they cannot use the same name per USA Hockey rules. The Romeoville Huskies have created the Hounds to play mites in an AAU mite league that is proliferating in IL while still maintaining their mite teams that are USA Hockey affiliated. I would guess that players will roster with both to sidestep USA Hockey cross ice rules.

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD wrote:I learned from my family in Chicago that assoc have created a separate team within their organization that is AAU affiliated. The caveat is that they cannot use the same name per USA Hockey rules. The Romeoville Huskies have created the Hounds to play mites in an AAU mite league that is proliferating in IL while still maintaining their mite teams that are USA Hockey affiliated. I would guess that players will roster with both to sidestep USA Hockey cross ice rules.
There are 18 Chicago land USA Hockey organizations that have done this to date and more to follow. My guess is they'll all do it sooner or later if nothing changes

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

Does USA Hockey allow registered USAH players to play for other organizations during the hockey season? I know USAH has no control over summer hockey since it is out of season but they may have something to say about players who are dual registered in season. It could be as simple as sanctioning, fining, or suspending those associations who are doing the double registering. Whether that is the best course of action is up for debate.

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:40 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:Does USA Hockey allow registered USAH players to play for other organizations during the hockey season? I know USAH has no control over summer hockey since it is out of season but they may have something to say about players who are dual registered in season. It could be as simple as sanctioning, fining, or suspending those associations who are doing the double registering. Whether that is the best course of action is up for debate.
There is nothing they can do about it. You can sign up and play for 50 different organizations outside of USA Hockey if you want. Remember that a District tried to prevent their kids from being registered in a MN Made league during the season recently. They got their butt handed to them in a lawsuit. I'm not a fan of AAU, but you can't restrict people's choices to do what they want.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 am

Froggy Richards wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:Does USA Hockey allow registered USAH players to play for other organizations during the hockey season? I know USAH has no control over summer hockey since it is out of season but they may have something to say about players who are dual registered in season. It could be as simple as sanctioning, fining, or suspending those associations who are doing the double registering. Whether that is the best course of action is up for debate.
There is nothing they can do about it. You can sign up and play for 50 different organizations outside of USA Hockey if you want. Remember that a District tried to prevent their kids from being registered in a MN Made league during the season recently. They got their butt handed to them in a lawsuit. I'm not a fan of AAU, but you can't restrict people's choices to do what they want.
I do remember that, but how about USAH registered associations also acting as AAU associations? It seems these organizations are also dual registered. While USAH may not have any recourse over the individuals they certainly should have some recourse at the organization level.

I suppose they will create a new organization that is AAU only, but the reality is they are just mirror organizations, not organizations that operate independently of each other with different boards, etc.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
I do remember that, but how about USAH registered associations also acting as AAU associations? It seems these organizations are also dual registered. While USAH may not have any recourse over the individuals they certainly should have some recourse at the organization level.

I suppose they will create a new organization that is AAU only, but the reality is they are just mirror organizations, not organizations that operate independently of each other with different boards, etc.
In practice it is the same people, same ice rinks, same skaters and probably same board members... but on paper and for legal purposes they are actually separate and different... no differently than if you and your wife ran two separate corporations, it's still jsut the two of you but the two entities are legally different... I get your point, but froggy is right there is nothing they can do legally about it to fight it, at the end of the day it's no different than if those same kids, aprents and skaters wanted to play AAU basketball during the winter in addition to playing hockey :/

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:21 pm

USAH dictates an org cannot use the same name to avoid confusion otherwise cannot prevent it.

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm

It is my understanding AAU sanctions teams not organizations thus an Assoc need not sanction fully with AAU just form team that has AAU sanctioning with a different name.