Tier 1 in MN

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Tier 1 in MN

Post by elliott70 »

Minnesota Hockey mews release
"Minnesota Hockey Adopts Resolution for Tier 1 Hockey

St. Paul, MN – January 27, 2015 – The Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors has passed a resolution to adopt a framework and definition of Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. Beginning with the 2015-16 season, Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be administered by Minnesota Hockey, and teams will be organized and run by Minnesota Hockey as an extension of the Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs.

Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be limited to the following age classifications for which USA Hockey conducts National Championships: 14U Youth/Girls, 16U Youth/Girls, 18U Youth and 19U Girls. The framework allows for eight teams made up entirely of Minnesota players and/or students with the teams being formed based on geography. The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams. The top team to come out of playdowns in the fall will come together in the spring to compete to play for a USA Hockey National Championship.

“The opportunity for Minnesota players to tryout out for and potentially compete for a USA Hockey National Championship is exciting” said Dave Margenau, President of Minnesota Hockey. “The Tier 1 structure that was approved compliments and enhances our highly successful community based model”

Minnesota Hockey’s Tier 1 proposal was presented at USA Hockey’s winter meeting on Saturday, January 17. The USA Hockey Youth Council voted unanimously to support the Tier 1 framework in Minnesota.

“This new Tier 1 resolution adopted by Minnesota Hockey is great news for hockey in the United States,” said USA Hockey Youth Council chair, Dave Klasnick. “Many of the country’s best youth and girls hockey players reside in the State of Hockey, and this framework will allow for some of those players to be showcased at our National Championships. We are fully supportive of this initiative taken by Minnesota Hockey and thrilled that it will allow all players the opportunity to compete.”

In September of 2014, Minnesota Hockey designated a committee to explore and define Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. The findings and recommendation of the committee were voted on and approved by the Minnesota Hockey board on Sunday, January 25, 2015.

As part of the proposal, provisions will be made for in-season Tier 1 hockey to be allowed for Minnesota’s established legacy programs: Shattuck St. Mary’s and Thoroughbreds girls’ hockey.

Further details regarding teams, scheduling and oversight will be announced at a later date.

Glen Andresen | Executive Director, Minnesota Hockey
"
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

This is really great news if I'm understanding it correctly. It limits In- Season Tier 1 to just two programs total and the rest are before the season. Adds another Hockey option without hurting the Association Model and Everybody wins! Well, except maybe Bauer Emerson. :cry: Great job MN Hockey!
bemused

Re: Tier 1 in MN

Post by bemused »

elliott70 wrote:Minnesota Hockey mews release

St. Paul, MN – January 27, 2015 – The Minnesota Hockey Board of Directors has passed a resolution to adopt a framework and definition of Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. Beginning with the 2015-16 season, Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be administered by Minnesota Hockey, and teams will be organized and run by Minnesota Hockey as an extension of the Minnesota Hockey High Performance programs.

Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota will be limited to the following age classifications for which USA Hockey conducts National Championships: 14U Youth/Girls, 16U Youth/Girls, 18U Youth and 19U Girls. The framework allows for eight teams made up entirely of Minnesota players and/or students with the teams being formed based on geography. The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams. The top team to come out of playdowns in the fall will come together in the spring to compete to play for a USA Hockey National Championship.

“The opportunity for Minnesota players to tryout out for and potentially compete for a USA Hockey National Championship is exciting” said Dave Margenau, President of Minnesota Hockey. “The Tier 1 structure that was approved compliments and enhances our highly successful community based model”

Minnesota Hockey’s Tier 1 proposal was presented at USA Hockey’s winter meeting on Saturday, January 17. The USA Hockey Youth Council voted unanimously to support the Tier 1 framework in Minnesota.

“This new Tier 1 resolution adopted by Minnesota Hockey is great news for hockey in the United States,” said USA Hockey Youth Council chair, Dave Klasnick. “Many of the country’s best youth and girls hockey players reside in the State of Hockey, and this framework will allow for some of those players to be showcased at our National Championships. We are fully supportive of this initiative taken by Minnesota Hockey and thrilled that it will allow all players the opportunity to compete.”

In September of 2014, Minnesota Hockey designated a committee to explore and define Tier 1 hockey in Minnesota. The findings and recommendation of the committee were voted on and approved by the Minnesota Hockey board on Sunday, January 25, 2015.

As part of the proposal, provisions will be made for in-season Tier 1 hockey to be allowed for Minnesota’s established legacy programs: Shattuck St. Mary’s and Thoroughbreds girls’ hockey.

Further details regarding teams, scheduling and oversight will be announced at a later date.

"

This should be posted in High School Forum also..it definitely affects ninth and tenth graders and maybe juniors and seniors..
I believe the current plan calls for at least U16 and maybe U18..
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:Minnesota Hockey mews release

"

So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league, expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League) and are going to do B&A programs.... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:

One small error in the communication above though:

The teams will compete in late summer and fall, prior to the start of the Minnesota Hockey and Minnesota State High School League seasons, after which the players would return to their associations or high school teams.

The high school players can go back and play for their high schools but the association kids cannot go back in the winter and play association hockey. The reason is that you cannot be rostered on both a Tier 1 national tourney bound team AND a Tier 2 team simultaneously. That is a USA Hockey rule and it applies to all B&A teams nationally. Since all associations are registered as Tier 2 teams that is not an option. Going back and playing high school is because High Schools are not USA Hockey programs. Otherwise great program, great idea.....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

JSR wrote: So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league, expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League) and are going to do B&A programs.... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:
No, that is not how it is going to work.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

JSR wrote: The high school players can go back and play for their high schools but the association kids cannot go back in the winter and play association hockey. The reason is that you cannot be rostered on both a Tier 1 national tourney bound team AND a Tier 2 team simultaneously. That is a USA Hockey rule and it applies to all B&A teams nationally. Since all associations are registered as Tier 2 teams that is not an option. Going back and playing high school is because High Schools are not USA Hockey programs. Otherwise great program, great idea.....
Yes, they will be able to go back to their local assn.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

And for almost all involved it is a before program not a before/after program.
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote: So basically they took my idea of using the Elite High School league, expanded it to include U14s (which I also recommended based on the new Elite Bantam League) and are going to do B&A programs.... it's a great idea, glad I thought of it... :idea: :wink:
They kept it in house but they used my exact concept... here is a reminder for you:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32787
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
They kept it in house but they used my exact concept... here is a reminder for you:
It is not using the Elite League.
The plan is to follow the HP program set up.
The 14's will be set up by combined districts.
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote: No, that is not how it is going to work.
I know it's not using the Elite league per se... I can read.... I used the Elite League as an example because it was already set up and in place to do the things they are going to do. Instead they are just going to use the HP.... it doesn't negate the fact that is it EXACTLY the same concept.... seriously do you guys work for Al Gore??? Are you now claiming to have invented this idea??
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote: No, that is not how it is going to work.
I know it's not using the Elite league per se... I can read.... I used the Elite League as an example because it was already set up and in place to do the things they are going to do. Instead they are just going to use the HP.... it doesn't negate the fact that is it EXACTLY the same concept.... seriously do you guys work for Al Gore??? Are you now claiming to have invented this idea??
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote: The high school players can go back and play for their high schools but the association kids cannot go back in the winter and play association hockey. The reason is that you cannot be rostered on both a Tier 1 national tourney bound team AND a Tier 2 team simultaneously. That is a USA Hockey rule and it applies to all B&A teams nationally. Since all associations are registered as Tier 2 teams that is not an option. Going back and playing high school is because High Schools are not USA Hockey programs. Otherwise great program, great idea.....
Sorry brother but you are wrong here.... See technically you could skirt this rule for all the players on the teams that do not advance out of the fall playoffs you proposed because they can "transfer" back to Tier 2 before the December 31st roster cutoff, its kind of taking adavantage of a loophole that was never intended but it can be done. However, the team that advances from the fall playoff and intends to take on Schattuck in the spring District playoff and potentially advances to nationals, yea the players on that team WILL NOT have the option of playing association hockey as they CANNOT be rostered on a Tier 2 team (ie association team) and the Tier 1 team that intends to go to nationals simultaneaously. Can't happen. Elliot your a smart guy with a lot of insight but we've had B&A down here in WI for a LONG time and this rule I know by heart and it's definitive as it currently stands (though we all know things change). The roster you are on when rosters are due for submission on December 31st is the team roster that are part of, no if's and's or but's about it with how it is worded currently.... Just like our 8th graders down here that tryout for and play for Team Wisconsin, they CANNOT go back and play winter Tier 2 association hockey, they cannot go to another Tier 1 AAA club, and for us they can't even play high school because here 8th graders cannot play high school hockey like you can in MN, hence why it is soooo very rare for an 8th grader to play TW even if they are good enough, they don't want to give up playing in the winter even for that usually.... this one I am 100% sure of my friend.
Froggy Richards

JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Sorry brother but you are wrong here.... See technically you could skirt this rule for all the players on the teams that do not advance out of the fall playoffs you proposed because they can "transfer" back to Tier 2 before the December 31st roster cutoff, its kind of taking adavantage of a loophole that was never intended but it can be done. However, the team that advances from the fall playoff and intends to take on Schattuck in the spring District playoff and potentially advances to nationals, yea the players on that team WILL NOT have the option of playing association hockey as they CANNOT be rostered on a Tier 2 team (ie association team) and the Tier 1 team that intends to go to nationals simultaneaously. Can't happen. Elliot your a smart guy with a lot of insight but we've had B&A down here in WI for a LONG time and this rule I know by heart and it's definitive as it currently stands (though we all know things change). The roster you are on when rosters are due for submission on December 31st is the team roster that are part of, no if's and's or but's about it with how it is worded currently.... Just like our 8th graders down here that tryout for and play for Team Wisconsin, they CANNOT go back and play winter Tier 2 association hockey, they cannot go to another Tier 1 AAA club, and for us they can't even play high school because here 8th graders cannot play high school hockey like you can in MN, hence why it is soooo very rare for an 8th grader to play TW even if they are good enough, they don't want to give up playing in the winter even for that usually.... this one I am 100% sure of my friend.

Obviously, this rule you refer to isn't going to apply in MN starting next year.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Add it to the long list of reasons Minnesota is better than Wisconsin.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Maybe this will be good for Wisconsin, as in that they may be able to cut the same deal with USAH.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote: They kept it in house but they used my exact concept... here is a reminder for you:
You looking for a pat on the back????
I know the guys that put this together did not come to this site for ideas, but, okay, nice job, JSR.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Maybe this will be good for Wisconsin, as in that they may be able to cut the same deal with USAH.
If WI is willing to restrict how and by whom Tier 1 is managed.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Jsr ...sorry bud but in Wi this yr the Team Wi 14u girls were allowed to go back to their assoc teams..the boys were not
JSR

Post by JSR »

Froggy Richards wrote:
JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Yes, they will be able to go back to their local assn.

Obviously, this rule you refer to isn't going to apply in MN starting next year.
I guess the 800 lbs gorilla once again got to write it's own rules... I specifically prefaced my statement by saying "as the rules are currently written" and I did so knowing that MN Hockey throws its weight around and gets it's way the way no other state does.... :/
JSR

Post by JSR »

elliott70 wrote:
JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote: It is not using the Elite League.
You looking for a pat on the back????
I know the guys that put this together did not come to this site for ideas, but, okay, nice job, JSR.
Well, considering I actually sent the proposal via email to LPH and to MN Hockey's general mail box at their website way back at the same time I posted it here... it's a safe bet someone of the fellas who drew this up did see my proposal... :/ ... honestly I always thought it could work via a B&A type system, glad they finally figured it out :)
JSR

Post by JSR »

nu2hockey wrote:
JSR wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Yes, they will be able to go back to their local assn.
Jsr ...sorry bud but in Wi this yr the Team Wi 14u girls were allowed to go back to their assoc teams..the boys were not
I don't know anything about the girls side, they have a lot of different rules the boys don't have so I never compare. My statements were purely for boys.
Froggy Richards

JSR wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
JSR wrote: Sorry brother but you are wrong here.... See technically you could skirt this rule for all the players on the teams that do not advance out of the fall playoffs you proposed because they can "transfer" back to Tier 2 before the December 31st roster cutoff, its kind of taking adavantage of a loophole that was never intended but it can be done. However, the team that advances from the fall playoff and intends to take on Schattuck in the spring District playoff and potentially advances to nationals, yea the players on that team WILL NOT have the option of playing association hockey as they CANNOT be rostered on a Tier 2 team (ie association team) and the Tier 1 team that intends to go to nationals simultaneaously. Can't happen. Elliot your a smart guy with a lot of insight but we've had B&A down here in WI for a LONG time and this rule I know by heart and it's definitive as it currently stands (though we all know things change). The roster you are on when rosters are due for submission on December 31st is the team roster that are part of, no if's and's or but's about it with how it is worded currently.... Just like our 8th graders down here that tryout for and play for Team Wisconsin, they CANNOT go back and play winter Tier 2 association hockey, they cannot go to another Tier 1 AAA club, and for us they can't even play high school because here 8th graders cannot play high school hockey like you can in MN, hence why it is soooo very rare for an 8th grader to play TW even if they are good enough, they don't want to give up playing in the winter even for that usually.... this one I am 100% sure of my friend.

I guess the 800 lbs gorilla once again got to write it's own rules... I specifically prefaced my statement by saying "as the rules are currently written" and I did so knowing that MN Hockey throws its weight around and gets it's way the way no other state does.... :/
Actually, you prefaced your statement by saying:
Sorry brother but you are wrong here....
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Quote:
Then followed that up with a couple
CANNOT
a
Can't happen.
and, still my favorite
this one I am 100% sure of my friend.
JSR

Post by JSR »

InigoMontoya wrote:

Quote:
Then followed that up with a couple
CANNOT
a
Can't happen.
and, still my favorite
this one I am 100% sure of my friend.
all of which is 100% true as of right now... apparently it might be changing next year according to Elliot, though none of us has seen anything in writing.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Actually, none of that is true.

Obviously, it's changing, as indicated by the word 'new'.

If you scroll to the top of this thread, ALL of us have seen something in writing.