district directors agenda

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

district directors agenda

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am

District Directors Agenda

1. Racial Slurs. What can be done Margenau/Oleheiser
2. No Check Bantam C Margenau
3. D6 New Association/Bellplaine area Hewitt
4. Mn Hockey Affiliate agreement page 4:H Donovan
5. Mites Jamborees/tournaments Donovan
6. Review of USA Hockey Rules Changes
7. Neck Laceration Protectors
8. Tier 1 discussion Donovan
Any other additions?????

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am

Elliot, any concern that getting rid of checking at Bantam C will cause associations to just classify their lowest team as B2? Isn't there already a lot of movement away from the C classification? Or is it in hopes that more associations will offer C teams since there might be some demand by parents for a non-checking option at that age level?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:Elliot, any concern that getting rid of checking at Bantam C will cause associations to just classify their lowest team as B2? Isn't there already a lot of movement away from the C classification? Or is it in hopes that more associations will offer C teams since there might be some demand by parents for a non-checking option at that age level?
It is something from national level MD's. No thought on what people want only on what is safe. Cannot argue that - playing a sport with no body contact should reduce injuries.
It will call for looking at no checking in all bantams as well at some point.

I am not sure how 'poor' the C level is, as I never watch it, but assume that some of these kids will play JV if not varsity some day. Somewhere they may need to learn to take and give.

I am not sure what will happen at the local levels about moving a bantam C to B2 level.
I guess if I were a parent with a kid at that level I would have some concern about not checking and moving to JV or Jr Gold. I would think some degree of checking is necessary before going into it. And I am guessing some of these kids are going to continue playing hockey.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 am

No checking at Bantams is going to be a non-starter. USA Hockey will just be handing over the sport to AAU if they go down that road. They've pretty much already handed over Mite hockey to AAU in large swaths of the country. Not sure they should go that route.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 pm

How many districts have associations that still field Bantam C teams? I'm guessing the larger/metro area districts like 3, 6 and 8, but who else? District 10 hasn't had a Bantam C league for a few years now.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm

blueline_6 wrote:How many districts have associations that still field Bantam C teams? I'm guessing the larger/metro area districts like 3, 6 and 8, but who else? District 10 hasn't had a Bantam C league for a few years now.
District 16 (Bemidji) no District 12 Grand Rapids (not to my knowledge)
District 11 (Duluth area) (not that I know of)
District 15 (Moorhead or Brainerd maybe but don't think so)

Pretty much a metro thing.