Ideas that should be brought to the Minnesota Hockey Board

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

evegoe

Re: Ideas that should be brought to the Minnesota Hockey Board

Post by evegoe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm
Tap the number of games Bantams can play at around 60 (and 3 or 4 tournaments). More practices

Tell Minnesota hockey to try to eliminate some of the High Performance stuff in the spring and summer so kids can truly attempt to play a 2nd sport (Hard close all Minnesota Hockey sanctioned events in June and July for all kids under bantams)

Educate ALL city owned facilities that these kids hanging out in the rink are a good thing. (I don't know how many times I see kids getting yelled at by the zamboni guy.... for just being a kid)...We want kids hanging in rinks, stick handling and shooting pucks with their buddies. Not chased away like they are felons.
=D>

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:09 am

I like it yesIplayed =D>
Play Like a Champion Today

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:

Neck guards mandated all districts (it may be a rule already)

Figure out a long range plan to get the middle and lower income families back into hockey...

Tell Minnesota hockey to try to eliminate some of the High Performance stuff in the spring and summer so kids can truly attempt to play a 2nd sport (Hard close all Minnesota Hockey sanctioned events in June and July for all kids under bantams)

Educate ALL city owned facilities that these kids hanging out in the rink are a good thing. (I don't know how many times I see kids getting yelled at by the zamboni guy.... for just being a kid)...We want kids hanging in rinks, stick handling and shooting pucks with their buddies. Not chased away like they are felons.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 pm

Here's one for you - Why does Tier 1 start in August? Move that out to September like the Elite League.
Play Like a Champion Today

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am

Looks like age classification is changing to June 1 for the 2020-2021 season:

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... ow/1034528

HawkAA

Post by HawkAA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am
Looks like age classification is changing to June 1 for the 2020-2021 season:

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... ow/1034528
Interested in seeing what this changes...my son is a June 23 birthday. He will continue to play w his grade so hes not hosed when high school hockey becomes an option...so. it will not change anything for at least 1 player! LOL

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am

Every thing sent to me on here is now on the agenda for the district directors meeting in September.
All directors have been copied on these requests.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am

elliott70 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am
Every thing sent to me on here is now on the agenda for the district directors meeting in September.
Thank you! I'd be really interested to hear the discussions on guidelines for team declarations and what to do with the B levels. Unfortunately a trip to Biwabik in September just isn't gonna work. Please update here after the meeting.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:43 am

blueline_6 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am
elliott70 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am
Thank you! I'd be really interested to hear the discussions on guidelines for team declarations and what to do with the B levels. Unfortunately a trip to Biwabik in September just isn't gonna work. Please update here after the meeting.
Will do.

It should be noted three (maybe 4) proposals to change AA regions have been advanced. and will be up for discussion - at this time I don't see a vote as it is not been widely distributed.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 am

bardown27 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:00 pm
bring back icing on the PK (at least for bantam level, especially Bantam AA)
face-offs automatically to defensive zone of team taking penalty like HS (at least for bantam level, especially Bantam AA))
all boardings, checking from behinds, and head contacts should be auto-5. youth hockey refs are afraid to call the 5 min major and default to 2/10.
District Director response
This would require a change at USAH.
If enough people propose it they may consider it but not likely.
MH to change would require a special request and at this time Hockey Ops Committee is not willing to propose it.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:04 am

blueline_6 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm
1) Regarding B level hockey:
Recognize two levels of B, call them BB/B if you want to follow AA/A. Or, conversely, tell districts and associations to stop doing B1/B2 and only declare AA/A/B/C.

2) Regarding C level hockey:
Create regional/state tourneys for Peewee and Bantam C. This might create a little more motivation for some associations to declare C teams. There are associations that declare their bottom team at B1 so that they "have the chance to go to state" only to watch that team have such a poor season that they don't even qualify for district playoffs. Plus, why do we assume kids at the C level don't love the game as much or don't want a full-fledged post-season? C is a travelling level of hockey, it is not house hockey.

Basically I'm looking for an outcome where there are regional/state tourneys for every MN Hockey recognized level.
C level is primarily a metro thing.
Metro directors are not currently willing to take this on HOWEVER:
Classification is being looked at and another level may be established which will allow for this, but things move slowly so don't expect for two years.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am

The Exiled One wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:12 pm
zooomx wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:50 am
blueline_6 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm
1) Regarding B level hockey:
Recognize two levels of B, call them BB/B if you want to follow AA/A. Or, conversely, tell districts and associations to stop doing B1/B2 and only declare AA/A/B/C.

2) Regarding C level hockey:
Create regional/state tourneys for Peewee and Bantam C. This might create a little more motivation for some associations to declare C teams. There are associations that declare their bottom team at B1 so that they "have the chance to go to state" only to watch that team have such a poor season that they don't even qualify for district playoffs. Plus, why do we assume kids at the C level don't love the game as much or don't want a full-fledged post-season? C is a travelling level of hockey, it is not house hockey.

Basically I'm looking for an outcome where there are regional/state tourneys for every MN Hockey recognized level.
Would love to see regional/state tourneys for the B2 and/or C teams. However, class designations somehow need to be monitored and/or spelled out better. I could see associations dropping a legit B1 team down to B2 or C so they can chase a trophy. I could see a big can of worms being opened.
MWS coach wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm
Rogers PWA should have no doubt been AA, you are correct, D10 is terrible at declaring teams at the right level. Interesting tidbit, the team Rogers beat in regional final, Spring Lake Park is also a HS AA program. Not what A level should be in youth.
I have a proposal that somewhat addresses all of these issues. I have it written up in a format that could be formally presented to Minnesota Hockey right now, but I don't think the old guard running MH are ready to seriously consider it.

Short version is that we should stop classifying top--->down from AA--->C and instead classify bottom--->up from 1--->5. The proposal goes into way more detail than that with various issues and how relabeling would address them. It also gives Minnesota Hockey a roadmap on how to implement the plan. Simply, they'd just relabel existing Minnesota Hockey sanctioned state and regional tournaments and call them "Level 5", "Level 4", and "Level 3". This would both serve as a guide to districts and associations as well as somewhat forcing their hand.

I expect this proposal would receive massive push back. Sadly, I expect most of the push back to come from parents who want to continue claiming their kid plays on the "AA team" or the "A team" because it sounds better than the "Level 5 team" or the "Level 4 team".

I'd be happy to share the entire proposal with anybody who is interested in exploring this idea. For anybody who wants to criticize it, that's your right, but I won't be engaging in purely negative discourse in a public forum. Feel free to PM me either way.
Your proposal was well received and is part of discussion moving forward.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am

blueblood wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Calling icing on penalty kills is a joke.

I understand the intent of the rule is to create puck possession, but from my observations at the Bantam A and AA South regional, the coaches are not buying into that theory as all teams looked to ice the puck and take a face-off over risking puck possession and it wasn't even close.

Bantams should be playing hockey similar to MSHSL regulations.

Will that be addressed Mr. E.?
Adapting high school rules especially for bantams was mentioned but again rule changes come from USAH every two years.
It is not likely they will change.
Hockey OPs is not ready to take on special rules for one level or classification so for now it is a no go.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:17 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Get rid of the no icing on penalties rule (pee wee and bantams)
See above

Mandate all AA teams must roster 15 skaters
Directors did not like the idea as much discrepancy across the board etc...

Tap the number of games Bantams can play at around 60 (and 3 or 4 tournaments). More practices
Review of games played by the top 20 teams or so showed only 1 team playing above 60 games.
So no need to do something at this time.

Neck guards mandated all districts (it may be a rule already)
50-50 on this as some experts say the danger created is worse than the protective side. I am not an expert.

Take away all icing calls for squirts (Forces these younger kids to always hustle down the ice)
See above

1:30 penalties for all games that have 12- 15 minute periods (this will lead to more ice time for the bottom kids)
MH rule book already calls for this (D16 plays 17 minutes so I don't follow what may actually happen elsewhere.)

Figure out a long range plan to get the middle and lower income families back into hockey...
This created some buzz and excitement and is being carried forward to look at.

Hockey Ops is evaluating all programs to determine what changes need to be adjusted to better accommodate all programs.
Right now it is difficult to get in the required number of games to qualify for nationals so shortening the season will likely not happen.

NOt willing to take this on.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am

blueblood wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 pm
Here's one for you - Why does Tier 1 start in August? Move that out to September like the Elite League.
Again it starts earlier to get the required number of games in.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:05 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am
Your proposal was well received and is part of discussion moving forward.
Honestly surprised, but glad to hear it.

Let me know if you think MH would like to hear from me, but I don’t need to champion this idea if someone from MH wants to take up the mantle.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks for bringing all of this to the MH Board and for the feedback. Much appreciated!