Minnesota State Tournaments

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

StanleyCup55

Minnesota State Tournaments

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Who are the favorites this weekend?

elliott70

Re: Minnesota State Tournaments

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 am

Edina??

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 am

Bantam AA
Game 1
Prior Lake-Savage vs Edina
Game 2
Roseau vs Chaska Chanhassen
Game 3
Lakeville South vs Osseo-Maple Grove
Game 4
Wayzata vs Moorhead

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 am

Lets Play hockey Bantam AA top 20
1 Prior Lake/Savage
2 Edina

3 Wayzata
4 Lakeville South
5 Osseo/Maple Grove

6 Chaska/Chanhassen
7 Stillwater
8 Eden Prairie
9 St. Paul Capitals
10 Centennial

11 Champlin Park
12 Sibley
13 Roseau
14 Grand Rapids
15 Rosemount

16 Minnetonka
17 Moorhead
18 Lakeville North
19 Andover
20 Elk River

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 am

Bantam A
Game 1
Dodge County vs Osseo-Maple Grove
Game 2
Rogers vs Alexandria
Game 3
Delano vs Edina
Game 4
Warroad vs Duluth Denfeld

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

Bantam B
Game 1
Prior Lake-Savage vs Sibley
Game 2
Rogers vs St. Cloud Red
Game 3
Osseo-Maple Grove Black vs Edina Green
Game 4
Morris-Benson vs Cambridge-Isanti
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 am

Pee Wee AA
Game 1
Woodbury vs Stillwater
Game 2
Duluth East vs Minnetonka
Game 3
Chaska Chanhassen vs Eden Prairie
Game 4
Edina vs Roseau

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am

Pee Wee A
Game 1
Edina vs Mounds View-Irondale
Game 2
Rogers vs Warroad
Game 3
Orono vs Chaska Chanhassen
Game 4
East Grand Forks vs Spring Lake Park

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am

Pee Wee B
Game 1
Chaska Chanhassen vs Orono
Game 2
Ely vs Moorhead Black
Game 3
Stillwater vs Eden Prairie
Game 4
Bagley vs St. Francis-North Branch

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

Toss a couple ideas out for the forum to see what everyone thinks

Youth Hockey State Tournament. Would it make sense to host all the tournaments (pee wee thru Bantam) at Schwan's hockey center the same weekend? Create a State Fair type environment? Food trucks, vendors, kids running around from game to game.

Personally I would like to see Minnesota hockey give a 2-3 year try. Don't get me wrong. A state tournament held in say Grand Rapids or in a town like Rochester could be fun because most kids have never played a game in those cities. But hosting a state tournament in say Moorhead, or Duluth these kids have already played there 6-8 times growing up so to them it may be perceived as "just another weekend of hockey.

I say give it to Blaine for a few years and see if they can make this a great event. Otherwise if that's a no, focus on putting the state tournament in cities that most kids never get the chance to play at. Cities that never get the chance to "showcase" what a strong hockey community they have.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

Youth Hockey State Tournament. Would it make sense to host all the tournaments (pee wee thru Bantam) at Schwan's hockey center the same
weekend? Create a State Fair type environment? Food trucks, vendors, kids running around from game to game.

Personally I would like to see Minnesota hockey give a 2-3 year try. Don't get me wrong. A state tournament held in say Grand Rapids or in a town like Rochester could be fun because most kids have never played a game in those cities. But hosting a state tournament in say Moorhead, or Duluth these kids have already played there 6-8 times growing up so to them it may be perceived as "just another weekend of hockey.

I say give it to Blaine for a few years and see if they can make this a great event. Otherwise if that's a no, focus on putting the state tournament in cities that most kids never get the chance to play at. Cities that never get the chance to "showcase" what a strong hockey community they have.
No
This was brought up about 10 - 12 years ago and was shot down by the coaches.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:58 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

Youth Hockey State Tournament. Would it make sense to host all the tournaments (pee wee thru Bantam) at Schwan's hockey center the same weekend? Create a State Fair type environment? Food trucks, vendors, kids running around from game to game.

That is what is currently being done - sort of.
Each district gets assigned a state tourney in a rotation.
Each district has a different method of assigning the tournament.
In D16 we have a rotation so some time a little know community could get the tourney and a new place and others it could be something like Bemidii or Warroad.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I like this idea, as right now, if a state tournament is in a town only hosting one level there is not much of a crowd other than the families of the teams playing. It would be cool to maybe have multiple levels playing in the same facility to area. I would have loved to go to one spot and see 3-4 levels playing. I bet a lot of us would be at the rink all day bouncing from rink to rink. Honestly, it is really not a big boon to host a tournament. You spend some decent money as the host to make it really special for the kids and families and you don't really get much out of it. Just my opinion. I think if you tried making it more of a destination/festival it would mean a lot more.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

zooomx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm
I like this idea, as right now, if a state tournament is in a town only hosting one level there is not much of a crowd other than the families of the teams playing. It would be cool to maybe have multiple levels playing in the same facility to area. I would have loved to go to one spot and see 3-4 levels playing. I bet a lot of us would be at the rink all day bouncing from rink to rink. Honestly, it is really not a big boon to host a tournament. You spend some decent money as the host to make it really special for the kids and families and you don't really get much out of it. Just my opinion. I think if you tried making it more of a destination/festival it would mean a lot more.
MH gathers financial information on tourneys.
The smaller communities do quiet well actually.
The radio/newspaper coverage is very well done in the smaller towns and of course away from the rink the kids are noticed and appreciated more.
This has been an ongoing analysis since the early 2000's.

And the coaches do not want their players hanging the rink in excess.
Parents like to get away to - to socialize and look after their players and other kids.
Those Dads that would stay would not fill the stands and some like westmetro and oclown are also in the minority.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm just saying I wish they would try Blaine for 2 years and see how it goes over

If not then my vote is always smaller towns/communities where most of these kids have never played a tournament before....Putting a state tournament in Moorhead, or Duluth to me just waters down the "experience" a little. These towns see a different hockey tournament every single weekend. Kids have been to these towns multiple times.

Top 10 places to host a AA tourney (again these are one's I'd say 70-80% of the kids have never played at before yet have a strong hockey community)

1. Grand Rapids
2. Rochester
3. Hibbing/Greenway /Eveleth
4. Thief River Falls
5. Marshall
6. Red Wing
7. Faribault
8. Warroad
9. Bemidji
10. Alexandria

please note I do realize some have recently hosted a state tournament ..

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:52 am

One of the challenges with the smaller community is enough hotel rooms available. Even in mid sized towns. A few years back, PW state in Grand Rapids, hotel scenario was difficult (my understanding is there was also a big dart tournament in town). Ended up with enough rooms for players, but Gma and Gpa had to find their own rooms and did not stay with the team. Agreed, great place to host tournament and players were treated like kings, but logistics can be difficult. Marshall is another example, great rink and awesome to support the community, but not enough hotel rooms in town.
This is exacerbated even more if AA and A are held at same location.

I think it would be a great experience at SR. I think it would get a guy like me to attend vs watching live stream. A big part of why I watch live stream is the ability to watch parts of more then one game/level. The other consideration is families with multiple players. Would not result in Dad going with X and Mom going with Y. I get that is all to frequent, but just another consideration.