Arizona Youth Hockey vs MN

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Maverick99

Arizona Youth Hockey vs MN

Post by Maverick99 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 pm

Does anyone know how they run youth hockey in the Phoenix area? We are moving this summer from the Twin Cites. My son played at the PW B1 level this last year as a goalie.

It looks like they have B, A, and AAA and then have U12 for Pewee. It's confusing because there is also Elite, Major, Minor, and some other divisions.

As far as level of competition, I'm wondering what level he would fit in at and how to get him on a team. It looks like they do try outs in May. Being a goalie in MN he always had opportunities to play, I'm hoping the same is true down there.

Thanks

yesiplayedhockey

Re: Arizona Youth Hockey vs MN

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 am

https://www.azamateurhockey.org/

This is I believe their top tier team

Typically they "drool" when they hear Minnesota kid so maybe don't disclose what team he played for in Minnesota...Just try out for the best team and good luck to you

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Maverick99 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 pm
Does anyone know how they run youth hockey in the Phoenix area? We are moving this summer from the Twin Cites. My son played at the PW B1 level this last year as a goalie.

It looks like they have B, A, and AAA and then have U12 for Pewee. It's confusing because there is also Elite, Major, Minor, and some other divisions.

As far as level of competition, I'm wondering what level he would fit in at and how to get him on a team. It looks like they do try outs in May. Being a goalie in MN he always had opportunities to play, I'm hoping the same is true down there.

Thanks
Good luck with the move.

Throughout much of the U.S. they see things as birth year. While USA Hockey has two year windows, programs field teams by year with an intent of keeping the core together over longer periods.

Pee Wee is now 12U, with next year's ages being 2007-08. Pee Wee "Major" is the 2007 & "Minor" is 2008.

"Elite" is used in many places to distinguish between the top and bottom half of "AAA" level.

A Pee Wee B1 player in Minnesota may be a "AAA" player elsewhere, especially if they were a B1 as a Minnesota 1st year and have a year of PW left on the national calendar (meaning born after July 1st, 2007).

Many top players in Minnesota Youth hockey are overage on the national calendar.

I wish I had contacts to point you to that way, but mine are in all parts of Florida and to a lesser extent Dallas. I would expect that market to have some very good players that don't get involved in the rat race of AAA due to cost. I know Austin Matthews had a weird path through youth because he played a lot on a small rink and might have skipped a year of travel. After one year you'll have the lay of the land, so it really is a matter of hoping you get enough information to make the right choice for the first season.
Be kind. Rewind.

Maverick99

Post by Maverick99 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Thank you both for the information. My son is a May 07 birthday which makes him a second year Pewee for 2019-20 in Minnesota. I've been in contact with a couple clubs down there and am getting a good idea on how things work. They are open and seem ok evaluating him when we get there over the summer and placing him on an appropriate team.

Unlike here, you can play for whichever club you like/make and they all have different teams ranging from AAA to B like was mentioned. I might just have to be willing to drive a little further for practice if he's placed on a team on the other side of town.

I've been researching the high school layout as well and that's quite different than here in the "home of hockey".

Plus side is my son has already ditched the Wild and is cheering for the Coyotes who still have a chance. Kids

Thanks again

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Maverick99 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:52 pm
Thank you both for the information. My son is a May 07 birthday which makes him a second year Pewee for 2019-20 in Minnesota. I've been in contact with a couple clubs down there and am getting a good idea on how things work. They are open and seem ok evaluating him when we get there over the summer and placing him on an appropriate team.

Unlike here, you can play for whichever club you like/make and they all have different teams ranging from AAA to B like was mentioned. I might just have to be willing to drive a little further for practice if he's placed on a team on the other side of town.

I've been researching the high school layout as well and that's quite different than here in the "home of hockey".

Plus side is my son has already ditched the Wild and is cheering for the Coyotes who still have a chance. Kids

Thanks again
Honestly your kid is probably a AAA player in Phoenix if he is B1 at a decent association in Minnesota. And the Phoenix jr Coyotes are the top dog in Phoenix for AAA. Good luck!

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 am

Making the assumption Phoenix is close to Las Vegas in terms of hockey.....I spent 2 years there long ago. Get ready to spend a whole lot of money traveling. There will be a number of high quality players but not many teams so you end up traveling to Dallas, Las Vegas, Chicago, Detroit, etc. for tournaments. Airfare sucks. Hotels suck. The competition is pretty darn good, but getting there is awful and playing a championship game at 8:30 on Sunday morning so you can make your flight isn’t great either. Get to know people because it is likely you can’t make every tournament and you will have to send your kid with others, and their kids with you at times.

Make sure to make time for school work.

Practice may be a long commute as players come from a huge area and rinks are limited.

Enjoy the time with your kid traveling. That was the one positive I had.

Maverick99

Post by Maverick99 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks for sharing that info. It looks like a little bit more traveling than we are used to, but not too crazy. Meaning not a lot of east coast and international. 4-6 hour drive to CA and LSV are similar to driving to northern Minnesota or Chicago for us.