rink opening guide

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

rink opening guide

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:16 pm

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/ ... 1561036147

Returning to the Rinks guide from USAH

goldy313

Re: rink opening guide

Post by goldy313 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:09 am

While valuable, the reality is the actual guidance will come from the Governor......that said Counties will actually make the real decisions. Rochester/Olmsted County has closed their facilities through July 9. Neighboring Dodge County has only followed the Governors orders and only closed their facility through May 18.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Elliot, In reading the disclaimer at the end of the document, it seems as though all three groups are stating that their current insurance will not cover Covid related issues. Is that you/MH are reading it? If so, what type of conversations are occurring within MH leadership about that specifically and, any potential guidance from the CDC or Minnesota Department of Health in regards to any way possible to safely play youth/H.S. contact team sports?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am

Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 am
elliott70 wrote:

Elliot, In reading the disclaimer at the end of the document, it seems as though all three groups are stating that their current insurance will not cover Covid related issues. Is that you/MH are reading it? If so, what type of conversations are occurring within MH leadership about that specifically and, any potential guidance from the CDC or Minnesota Department of Health in regards to any way possible to safely play youth/H.S. contact team sports?
To clarify I am speaking just how I perceive it and not on behalf of USAH or MH.
Its a question of insurance. The insurance Company and USAH would work out details.
Currently MH ex committee is meeting via zoom frequently to determine what the MN Governor's stance is. Second to that they are working on how to proceed if the go ahead is given by the governor. Part of that is this hand-out from USAH.
I presented the handout to District 16 and on here in hopes that people are planning for a start to youth hockey.
Once we get down the road into reopening MH will have mandated guidelines on how to operate.

As far as the virus and hockey and insurance goes...
The insurance coverage is secondary insurance. If someone contracts the virus while participating I assume they will be afforded some sort of coverage unless the insurance company comes forward in the new season with a policy that expressly denies it. If they do USAH will have to re-think it and in all likely hood have a disclaimer on registration that will not allow claims attributed to the virus.

All of this will be above my pay grade except to pass the information through to membership and help guide them through their alternatives.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am
Wise Old Man wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:26 am
elliott70 wrote:

To clarify I am speaking just how I perceive it and not on behalf of USAH or MH.
Its a question of insurance. The insurance Company and USAH would work out details.
Currently MH ex committee is meeting via zoom frequently to determine what the MN Governor's stance is. Second to that they are working on how to proceed if the go ahead is given by the governor. Part of that is this hand-out from USAH.
I presented the handout to District 16 and on here in hopes that people are planning for a start to youth hockey.
Once we get down the road into reopening MH will have mandated guidelines on how to operate.

As far as the virus and hockey and insurance goes...
The insurance coverage is secondary insurance. If someone contracts the virus while participating I assume they will be afforded some sort of coverage unless the insurance company comes forward in the new season with a policy that expressly denies it. If they do USAH will have to re-think it and in all likely hood have a disclaimer on registration that will not allow claims attributed to the virus.

All of this will be above my pay grade except to pass the information through to membership and help guide them through their alternatives.
Thanks Elliott. Did you happen to read my post in the high school thread dealing with whether high school hockey will play or not where I posed the challenges of playing any team contact sport from a transmission standpoint? If so, have any of those types of conversations occurred among the MH Board? Between the Board and state health department officials? If either, are you willing to provide your view on the general "feel" among the board members in regards to whether they think we'll be able to play or not? Also, if schools are on-line in the fall, will that affect MH's decision to play or not?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:07 am

Um yes to your questions.
The board (not that I speak for them) is in a wait and see but plan mode.
The committee is gathering info from all medical sources and communicating with governing agencies.
The governor of MN is the ultimate power to give permission but the MN H BOD withholds the right to delay beyond that and the districts (with the director - subject to grievance) beyond that.
Local associations (subject to grievance and actual control) beyond that.