District Director meeting

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

District Director meeting

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Minnesota Hockey district directors are hoping to have a meeting on June 20th - probably in St Michel - St Cloud area.

Initial items on the agenda are:
1. JR Gold Proposal to MN Hockey BOD
2. COVID 19 Association Committee updates - District Director's Role
3. Discussion on redistricting, leagues, how teams advance to regions.

If you have further items you would like to see discussed please provide them here and expand on them.

If you wish it to be hush-hush private message me or email me.
elliottm@paulbunyan.net

Crusty

Re: District Director meeting

Post by Crusty » Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 am

Just curious, what is the JR Gold proposal all about?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Crusty wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 am
How teams advance to state

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 am

BOD?

Be prepared for an expansion of Jr Gold teams. That needs to be discussed as there is a real possibility the MSHSL does not have hockey but Minnesota Hockey does. These kids will be looking for a place to play. Many communities have a high school team but not a Jr. Gold team.
Getting in front of this now instead of November will be a huge issue. You can always go down from the plan, it is hard to go up.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 am

goldy313 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 am
BOD?

Be prepared for an expansion of Jr Gold teams. That needs to be discussed as there is a real possibility the MSHSL does not have hockey but Minnesota Hockey does. These kids will be looking for a place to play. Many communities have a high school team but not a Jr. Gold team.
Getting in front of this now instead of November will be a huge issue. You can always go down from the plan, it is hard to go up.
Thanks
I will bring it up

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:38 am

elliott70 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 pm
Crusty wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 am
How teams advance to state
As long as they don't introduce anything that will encourage even more teams to sandbag and play A level teams at the B level so they can chase banners.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Maybe this is a bad analogy but I will go with it anyway.

In Rochester baseball is going ahead, traveling teams are in limbo as tournaments are pretty much canceled and the towns they play in single games haven’t decided if they will play or not. The House league will play. Kids who play traveling are now signing up for House league which is going ahead. Taking the sure thing over a hope.

Hockey needs to be prepared for a season where Minnesota Hockey allows play but the MSHSL does not or, as an example, Minnesota Hockey allows play but the Rochester school district is in a distance learning session so no inter scholastic sports in November.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:28 am

As of today,June 19, the Minnesota Department of Health is at odds with the MSHSL. Other states are going ahead with plans that are different from their state high school leagues and the NFHS. Be prepared!

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Elliot, how'd things go with the meetings? Anything significant? I mean, other than the fact a once in a hundred year pandemic might prevent us from playing an entire season... :(

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 pm

Elliot, how'd things go with the meetings? Anything significant? I mean, other than the fact a once in a hundred year pandemic might prevent us from playing an entire season... :(

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:00 am

Wise Old Man wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 pm
ElliotT, how'd things go with the meetings? Anything significant? I mean, other than the fact a once in a hundred year pandemic might prevent us from playing an entire season... :(
Lots of time on a summer Saturday.
Nothing conclusive.
A lot of time discussing Junior Gold - how to get team properly classified, how to get outstate teams more involved, how to do seedings or play-offs for state.
Discussion on how to save money for associations, lots of ideas but nothing that has not come across my desk in the past or present.
Discussion on changing state format/rotation.

Major conclusion was that things are still up in the air and we need ongoing discussion/communication.

Covid is a bite in the butt and we are trying to deal wit it but new ground for all.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:22 am

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:00 am
Wise Old Man wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:30 pm
ElliotT, how'd things go with the meetings? Anything significant? I mean, other than the fact a once in a hundred year pandemic might prevent us from playing an entire season... :(
Lots of time on a summer Saturday.
Nothing conclusive.
A lot of time discussing Junior Gold - how to get team properly classified, how to get outstate teams more involved, how to do seedings or play-offs for state.
Discussion on how to save money for associations, lots of ideas but nothing that has not come across my desk in the past or present.
Discussion on changing state format/rotation.

Major conclusion was that things are still up in the air and we need ongoing discussion/communication.

Thanks Elliot. Sounds very similar to what I hear others saying in other areas of the state.

Covid is a bite in the butt and we are trying to deal wit it but new ground for all.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 am

Jr Gold is tough.....imagine no school in Rochester and 4 high schools combined to field 1 Jr Gold team....the alternative is school is in session and there is no Jr Gold team. This decision will probably come down in late October or early November. After all the required training.

Minnesota Hockey is in a tough spot here and will have to adapt on the fly and be very flexible. They may very well have associations unable to field teams at levels they have for decades.

Crusty

Post by Crusty » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:43 am

I have a pretty good feeling if there is no HS hockey there will be no JR Gold hockey

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:35 am

If the Pro's can play the kids should be able to play.
Kind of like if you can have 1000's at a protest, you should be able to attend church.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:35 pm

November is quite a ways away. Teachers were just paid 3 months pay to basically not work. We are getting numerous stories now about Education Minnesota is now feeling going back to work is not safe. Education Minnesota will decide, state wide, if there is school or not.

Minnesota Hockey is under no such implications.

Minneapolis has a mask requirement in place but exempts the Twins and Vikings. Money talks and even the Communists on the Minneapolis City Council know you have to generate income to tax income.

FWIW google will not autocorrect or even let you type “Communism”.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Teachers were just paid 3 months pay to basically not work.
Bull****! Maybe the teachers in your area didn't give a rats a**, but the teachers my kids had were very involved with their students over video conferences at least twice a week for my junior high child. Each teacher usually touched base with their student once a week on an individual basis and at least once a week as a class. For my elementary school child, the teacher touched base daily with the class over video and at least once a week on an individual basis. As parents, we got weekly emails from the teachers on what to expect for the week and progress reports.

Add to that, the teachers had to convert their classroom curriculum to online based curriculum. And trying to stay on top of each student's learning remotely rather than face to face I know wore on the teachers in our school district.

I know a lot of parents that have a whole new respect for what teachers go through on a daily basis.

Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:31 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:35 am
If the Pro's can play the kids should be able to play.
Kind of like if you can have 1000's at a protest, you should be able to attend church.
Goaliedad... I realize you wrote this two weeks ago so, I guess it's possible your opinion may have change on what you posted. However, based on your previous posts in another thread, my guess is your opinion hasn't changed a bit. As for your comment about protests vs going to church ....you're kidding right? First, thousands at an OUTDOOR protest, the vast majority wearing masks is, according to any expert in epidemiology or virology, a far, FAR different level of possible infection risk versus the already proven significant spreading that has occurred in other areas around the country associated with large church gatherings. Now, and it doesn't seem as if you are but, if you're OK with all church goers wearing a mask and, abiding by the state mandated limitations on number of parishioners, then yes, attending services is fine.

Next, and this statement is even more ridiculous than your first..."if the pros can play than the kids should be able to"?? Are you bleeping serious? You honestly don't think or see any significant difference?!? I'd ask if you're serious but, again, considering some of your previous posts, I'm quite sure you're very serious. So, you really think that because professional athletes who are full grown men, who are getting paid to play the game as their adult profession -- and thus in a position to be asked to accept some greater physical risk -- whose leagues and teams have millions of dollars to afford the required daily testing, as well as manage the required quarantine scenarios, along with being put in a very limited and specific geographic bubble for up to to two plus months, means that high school and youth players, whose school districts and youth hockey associations are already cash strapped and thus there's absolutely no way they could manage the same level of protections, is the same as the pros? As a long time member of the board of a fairly large youth hockey association, I promise you that's not how we're looking at things.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 pm

I agree, if the pros can play then the kids should play.

In Florida the people wait an entire day in line to get a test, the NBA gets tested everyday with no wait in Orlando. Same with MLS.

Giving one group an exemption (aside from essential workers) does nobody any good. The protests are turning out to be devastating as far as the spread of the virus. So are bars. I have to wear a mask walking my dog or in Home Depot at 10 am on a Tuesday morning where I won’t come within 20 feet of another human but packing people into bars is OK #-o.

40 kids at a high school hockey scrimmage is fine......and bringing in 7 other teams, what could possibly go wrong with that? Iowa has lost about 15% of their baseball teams.....a non contact sport played outside. High School Hockey, is disregarding the guidance, so is the NBA and NHL, what example is being set?