Coaches required to wear helmets.

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Coaches required to wear helmets.

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:39 pm

A proposal will be brought to MN Hockey in January to make it mandatory for coaches to wear helmets at practice.<br><br>Any comments? <p></p><i></i>

RLStars

Re: Coaches required to wear helmets.

Post by RLStars » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:46 pm

Makes a lot of sense. <br><br>It seems that the younger coaches are wearing them and the older guys don't, at least thats my experience.<br><br>I'd say that I fall into the "older guys" catergory, but am not opposed to the helmet as much as some will be. <p></p><i></i>

hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm

is there an instance that caused this to be brought up? <p></p><i></i>

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 pm

A youth coach in the twin cities area had a severe accident just recently. This happens several times a year across the US and Canada. <p></p><i></i>

MN HOCKEY NUT

stupid

Post by MN HOCKEY NUT » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:07 pm

What next, every fan has to wear a helment and cage incase a puck comes over the glass? Everyone has to wear a helmet while skating up at the park or on the pond? Accidents happen, we don't have to safe guard everything. If it's a legal thing, then create a waiver for coaches to sign. The funny thing is I watch open skating up at the rinks filled with people who can't skate a lick and they don't have to wear helmets. Lets make all the figure skaters in the Olympics wear helmets too.<br><br>This is the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time; either that or the no-check hockey league (give me a break). <p></p><i></i>

joshdog

Re: stupid

Post by joshdog » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:13 pm

NO <p></p><i></i>

troll21

Post by troll21 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 pm

The majority of youth coaches are volunteers and if you keep imposing restrictions on them they will leave.<br><br>It all started years ago when we had to get coaching cards and go to seminars to support USA Hockey. Then we have to follow the HEP program, (waste of money). Next, we have to wear helmets? This should be an option by the coach, not the governing body.<br><br> I hope the old timers with MN Hockey just continue to do there administrative duties and leave the on ice activities to the individuals that are still one-on-one with players.<br><br>Why not just let coaches coach! <p></p><i></i>

Stateyourname

helmets

Post by Stateyourname » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:16 pm

Not interested. <p></p><i></i>

harvey

Post by harvey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:25 pm

it should be vollentary, although some I have seen,<br>should ware full gear!! <p></p><i></i>

SEMetro

Re: helmets

Post by SEMetro » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:26 pm

The continued over-regulation of youth hockey by administrators will hasten the change to independent teams. <p></p><i></i>

jellytime13

Post by jellytime13 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:07 pm

well it does make sense but i dont know if i agree with it. Would it be a half shield or what? <p></p><i></i>

thibert0

Post by thibert0 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:09 pm

I think it happened here in Moorhead recently, where a coach fell backwards and cracked his skull open. Atleast that is what my mom told me. My coaches don't hardly do any skating, because they don't have to demonstrate drills really anymore, and when they do it isn't full speed. <p></p><i></i>

slow feet no hands guy

Post by slow feet no hands guy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Accidents do happen. Those that want to wear helmets can, those that don't shouldn't be forced too.<br><br>I can say that I have witnessed mite dads/coaches take some nasty tumbles when a beginning skater falls behind them and over they go!<br><br>Small government, big government.......leave the people alone.<br><br>I also oppose the seat belt law. I where mine all the time, but do not think it should be a law!<br> <p></p><i></i>

puckboy

Post by puckboy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Elliot: Who is bringing the proposal to Mn Hockey. I would think MN hockey would have bigger issues to address. Where is the meeting at- is there an agenda for these meetings that people can see. <p></p><i></i>

Mr Dangles 96

Post by Mr Dangles 96 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:15 pm

Top 10 stupidest things I have ever heard. If you cant skate, dont get on the ice. If you are a coach, you obviously have hockey expierence, and I really dont think your going to be taking any spills while teaching your kids what to do. <p></p><i></i>

Hockeynut027

Post by Hockeynut027 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:46 pm

Bad idea. Let the individuals make up their own minds and spend your time on something more productive. Unbelievable. <p></p><i></i>

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:57 pm

Mr 96<br><br>I have witnessed and experienced the backwards tumble from a fallen skater sliding into a coaches legs from behind. That has absolutely nothing to do with the coaches ability or inability to skate very well.<br><br>When you have a team of twenty (or even up to forty when you share your ice) skating drills, its awfully hard to keep aware of every kid on the ice and where they are.<br> <p></p><i></i>

hockeykid14

Post by hockeykid14 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:02 pm

It isn't a great idea, but it wouldnt be bad...I do belivev if a coahc feels the need he should mkae the choice and the state hockey board does not need to make it a rule <p></p><i></i>

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:10 pm

The propsoal is coming from the 'coaches committee' - basically Hal Tearse - MN coach-in-chief.<br><br>The meeting is January 13 - 15. Not sure where...metro area somewhere.<br><br>The site and agenda is or will be on the www.minnesotahockey.org web page.<br><br>Please continue to post pro or con on this site as well as spread the word to other coaches ... and contact your district director. <p></p><i></i>

CoachGuy

Post by CoachGuy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:35 pm

I understand the thought process behind the concept.the problem I have is that I am being paid double what I got last year to coach. NOTHING. With all the money invested in time, gas money, team clothing, etc I would like to be reimbursed by Minnesota hockey if this goes through. If its a Minesota hockey rule they should help shoulder the cost. Then sure ill run out there with it on. <p></p><i></i>

mnwild

Post by mnwild » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:47 pm

If Minnesota hockey wants to do this they will start to drive away coaches. Coaches are already having to do things that I don't understand Like the testing, but that is for another subject and a different time. Coaches have always had the choice if the wanted to wear a helmet. I don't think it will pass for one reason. How will they inforce the rule. I know that it can't be inforced and it won't. Yeah Right Dick Johnson from Roseau will put on a helmet for the state. I laugh at this. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... >mnwild</A> at: 12/20/05 5:48 pm<br></i>

Mr Dangles 96

Post by Mr Dangles 96 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:05 pm

It should be the coaches CHOICE <p></p><i></i>

blades

Post by blades » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:39 pm

what's next, helmets on the bench during games?<br>come on, I think as adults we can determine what<br>risks we are willing to take. It's not a bad idea to ware one<br>but I will make that call! <p></p><i></i>

6AA Fan

Helmets

Post by 6AA Fan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:25 pm

I am a young, non-parent coach at the Bantam A level. If MN hockey starts requiring coaches to wear helmets, I will no longer coach...period. I have spoken with MANY other coaches within our association, and they feel the same way. It should absolutely be a coaches' individual decision. MN/USA hockey "powers that be" keep imposing all of these rules/restrictions that are part of their personal agendas, and all they are doing is driving coaches away. Case in point---those worthless CEP clinics. What a joke they are, especially if you are a first year assistant coach at the bantam level who has played HS hockey or beyond. You have to pay for and then sit through an entire weekend (level 3) of listening to a bunch of guys preach about the most obvious of things. When guys are teetering on whether they want to coach or not, CEP and/or helmets can be the straw that breaks the camel's back (I've had potential coaches tell me CEP was the final factor in their decision to say no). Adding a helmet requirement will do the same. <br><br>If associations and/or MN hockey are serious about getting young, non-parent former players to come back and become coaches, then they need to ease the restrictions. 25-30 year old guys are going to be driven away by mandatory rules and regulations, whether it is CEP, helmets, or otherwise. <br><br>I can't believe how difficult they are making it to "volunteer" to be a hockey coach in MN... <p></p><i></i>

puckboy

great points

Post by puckboy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 am

6AA: great points!!!- couldn't agree more. CEP has also driven older coaches away in the past. There were coaches with 20+ years of experience that were all of a sudden required to get their CEP. Well guess what- many didnt get them and simply stop volunteering as coaches. <p></p><i></i>