redistricting

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

Re: redistricting

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Little late to the conversation, but I think it's time for Maple Grove to go it's own way. Osseo HS is co-oping with Park Center HS and Brooklyn Center HS. Youth players in Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are in the struggling North Metro association. Turn North Metro into "Osseo Park Center" and give them the Osseo kids. Give them a clear path from youth through high school and participation will start to increase again.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

The Exiled One wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:03 pm
Little late to the conversation, but I think it's time for Maple Grove to go it's own way. Osseo HS is co-oping with Park Center HS and Brooklyn Center HS. Youth players in Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park are in the struggling North Metro association. Turn North Metro into "Osseo Park Center" and give them the Osseo kids. Give them a clear path from youth through high school and participation will start to increase again.
Its currently in discussion.

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:37 am

I think another issue is teams should have to register at whatever level there high school team is.We created AA and A for youth which I am not opposed to but continue to allow the teams that we created the 2 class system for to play in the B division.When you get to high school you cannot choose to play jv teams it is either AA or A.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am

Yes there are a lot of different opinions but those with the loudest voice seem to call the shots.
It started simple - you play A hockey and then come end of February you play the same as your high school.
Well, what about this or what about that. Shouldn't Roseau and similar teams have the option since their high school 'opts up'. What about associations that send kids to several different high schools...
on and on...
Write up a proposal and I will present it to the board.

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm

I know there is a lot of what if's on this topic, just like the age cut off dates that have been coming up for about 40 years but most of the people that want it changed is for personel gain or for their kids teams gain. I no longer have kids involved but did have 5 kids come through the youth programs as well as myself [but that was a long time ago] and they where at all different talent levels from being a top level player on A teams to never making an A team but all had a great passion for hockey and learned many life lessons. I have coached for over 20 years and was on the local youth hockey board for 16 years.I am certainly not tooting my own horn here but want you to know that I have been around the game for many years and have been a Minnesota hockey member since 1973 as either a player coach or board member.The proposal I would make is very straight forward and easy and the AA and A issue and the fact of feeding multiple high schools would only be a recommendation.The proposal would read that each association can only register B1 or B2 teams if they have a AA or an A team for that age bracket. If there is only enough kids for one team they must register either A or AA.