redistricting

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:03 am

Goldy: I think you have made my point. Rochester high schools (read Mayo) like to point out they have players that played C level hockey at youth. So their answer is simple, create more A teams.

observer

Post by observer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 am

Why all the dissing on their new plan? I think it makes sense for an association that is so much larger than most in the same region of the state. I always thought one A team was a problem when they're trying to develop kids for 4 varsity programs in town. So, I think it will work well for league play. Where there will be a challenge is selecting the right level tournament to attend. The A2 and A3 teams would have a difficult time in the largest A level tourneys. Will A2 and A3 be balanced teams?
Last edited by observer on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:12 am

people complain when rochester has 1 A team. now they want 3 and people get on them.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 am

Regarding Rochester feeding 4 high schools. Looking at Bantam level teams, do 100% of the Edina kids go to Edina HS? How about Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Woodbury, or you name the program. I heard Woodbury's Bantam A team had kids going to Woodbury, East Ridge, Hill-Murray and Cretin? Sounds like 1 A team feeding 4 high schools to me? Eden Prairie has kids going to EP high school, Minnetonka, Benilde, Holy Family and Chaska-Chan? That sounds like feeding 5 high schools to me. And EP high school has over 3,000 students. Combine all 4 Rochester high schools and you might have 5,000 students. Youth hockey is about putting kids at the right level for their ability, not having 4 "A" teams because you have 4 small high schools.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 am

breaking up the larger associations would also solve many of the metro problems. How about mandating if you have over say 80-90 kids at a certain level you need to field 2 A teams.

Great Idea

The issue as I see it is we have lost parity as our goal. Parity offers the most opportunity to most number of kids. Proffesional sports teams (except for MLB) recognize this and have sought parity for years as this allows them to grow, develop, and expand the most number of teams.

Kids who land in a school with a big program can devote all their efforts to the sport, but be forced to drop out before they even get to high school. This makes for championship teams, but is at the detriment to participation. The pressure drives parents in these programs to invest insane amounts into their kids hockey development or they will never see them play the sport they love. This recipie favors those schools with parents with the resources to devote to this, and establishes a legacy at these schools. The result leads to the deterioration and erosion of lesser programs who can not spend enough to win a championship, or maintain a competitive level to spur interest in their programs.

Splitting up these large programs into multiple teams is in the interest of the kids and of hockey as a whole. Where sports have expanded their teams and created larger tournaments it has only led to the growth of these sports as whole. The ego's at the premier programs are destructive to the overall growth of hockey and leads to a rising cost barrier in the sport due to the rising cost of having a successful team.

Disclosure: I am a former all-state athlete and tourney participant and my son's play in a premier program as a mite and a squirt.

dlow

second that thought

Post by dlow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 pm

more teams on the A level, I second that thought, common sense for a change, so good to prompted be to register and say so. Not only will it be good for the kids, it will also develop more top players because a lot of kids don't get real good until high school, and this would keep them in it and motivate them to continue.

Getottamycrease

Post by Getottamycrease » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:08 pm

New Prague in D6....Really??? :roll:

mnhockeywatch

MN Hockey Redistricting Again

Post by mnhockeywatch » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:10 am

Has anybody seen or heard the latest plan?
Turn over the rocks....

elliott70

Re: MN Hockey Redistricting Again

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:39 am

mnhockeywatch wrote:Has anybody seen or heard the latest plan?
Turn over the rocks....
yes

mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:49 am

Elliot,
Please share the details of the latest plan under consideration.
Additional what's the purpose driving the re-due?
When will it likely be voted on by MN Hockey?
Thanks

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:06 am

mnhockeywatch wrote:Elliot,
Please share the details of the latest plan under consideration.
Additional what's the purpose driving the re-due?
When will it likely be voted on by MN Hockey?
Thanks
Plan
I do not have it at my fingertips and it is in discussion.
I can tell you it mostly deals with 4 & 5 & 9

The board voted to re-visit districts every 2 years so it stays fres and does not accumulate like the last time.

Probably April.
January it will be presented so feedback can come and then the vote.

mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 pm

I've heard a few things:

Hutchinson & LDC leave D5 and to D9.
Willmar and River Lakes leave D5 go to D4.
Crow River leaves D3 and goes to D5.
Little Falls leaves D15 and goes to D5.
Champlin Park leaves D10 and goes to D3.

Is this pretty much the proposal?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 am

mnhockeywatch wrote:I've heard a few things:

Hutchinson & LDC leave D5 and to D9.
Willmar and River Lakes leave D5 go to D4.
Crow River leaves D3 and goes to D5.
Little Falls leaves D15 and goes to D5.
Champlin Park leaves D10 and goes to D3.

Is this pretty much the proposal?
Pretty much it...
some tweaking may still go on....

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Rumor has it Champlin stays in D10

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm

A lot of discussion is still happening.

Almost everyday another idea is bantered about.

I would guess nothing (or nothing unexpected) will happen for the coming year.

puckeyone

Post by puckeyone » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:30 am

Hutch, LDC ,& Willmar get to go to 4, adds 1500 to 2500 miles of travel per year for them, also 6 to 8 hour trips for games,, is it worth it, just the facts you decide! Pretty tuff to retain and recruit!!!!!!!!!!

Crow River gets bounced again back to 5, they must feel like they are on the bungee cord.

Little Falls , comes into 5 , this happened 2 years ago but they opposed it and won, whats changed in two years?

Couple other a bungee jumpers , new ulm. st. peter. back to 4,,

Looks like someone has not looked at the map down in 4 or politics at its best,
all the movement there but Mankato stays,, Think they should get the guy to help with the vikings stadium, seems like they have alot of pull.

Nice for Mn hockey in its PR dept to public notify their membership of what the heck is going on, seems like even Elliot doesn't know,, but then if it doesn't concern them ,who bothers to be informed, yet they get to make the decisions for the families for the betterment of MN Hockey

Make some noise if you don't like it,, Just maybe someone out there will listen

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 am

puckeyone wrote:

Nice for Mn hockey in its PR dept to public notify their membership of what the heck is going on, seems like even Elliot doesn't know,, but then if it doesn't concern them ,who bothers to be informed, yet they get to make the decisions for the families for the betterment of MN Hockey

Make some noise if you don't like it,, Just maybe someone out there will listen
JUST GOT THE EMAIL ON THE PROPOSAL ON TUESDAY.
Prior to that was discussion with the latest from VP's that nothing would happen in the coming year.
Please come to the board meeting.

mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 pm

I think its a matter of time before a group of associations band together to go it alone and leave MN Hockey. That day is coming fast. The MN Hockey model is based on 70's chassis - the game has changed somewhat - but the parents and the operating environment has changed dramatically.

It used to be strictly 'you play where you live'...now its 'how much effort are you willing to go through to get out'. Its basically an entrepreneur model for the well-off.

If you're out state you have no options...if your in the metro if your association isn't performing - get creative. Its happening all the time. MN Hockey should start up an investigatory branch to source Waivers that would be a major profit center.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 pm

mnhockeywatch wrote:I think its a matter of time before a group of associations band together to go it alone and leave MN Hockey. That day is coming fast. The MN Hockey model is based on 70's chassis - the game has changed somewhat - but the parents and the operating environment has changed dramatically.

It used to be strictly 'you play where you live'...now its 'how much effort are you willing to go through to get out'. Its basically an entrepreneur model for the well-off.

If you're out state you have no options...if your in the metro if your association isn't performing - get creative. Its happening all the time. MN Hockey should start up an investigatory branch to source Waivers that would be a major profit center.
Great Post!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 am

The DEBATE starts tonight.

whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Elliot - your last post identifies the problem,, A committee is suppose to be used to gather facts and hear from people .. So Mn Hockey has been working on this for two years and have not had the common sense to gather the associations together that are involved to hear from them, No they leave it to the 11th hour and say this is it what is and this is good for Mn Hockey,, Why dont you ask if anyone has sat down with the local boards to hear how this may effect them,,the answer you will get is No, However there is one person that has sat down with four of those associations. and he is not on this committee nor a Mn Hockey board member either,, Mn Hockey has failed in their duties to their affiliates this plan should be stooped in the tracks now, , If passed KIDs and Familes will quit Mn Hockey and that is guaranteed. See you at the meeting

warmskin

Post by warmskin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm

I am in one of the larger districts and it makes no sense to have mega assocations play smaller associations. The large associations could be broken down by middle school instead of just the high school level.
I am sure most of the smaller high schools only have one middle school feeding into them. Wayzata has 190 Peewees, Edina 160 and down to 60 for Bloomington Jefferson.

sportstecminnesota

Breaking up large associations

Post by sportstecminnesota » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 am

This could be another topic. Some of the larger assoc in the western suburbs of the Twin Cities have upwards of 170/190 players per level. It should be no surprise that the hockey powerhouses for the most part are the large associations. Maybe the large associations should be broken up by middle school instead of by high school.

brumm07x

Post by brumm07x » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:35 am

Put all the private schools in one division and let one represent them. When will we have a final four with all privates sooner or later it will happen

elliott70

Re: redistricting

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 am

Back in committee...

Any feed back from any of you?