redistricting

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

If anyone has any questions,contact your District Director or have your association president do so.
Whatthe

Post by Whatthe »

Is there a reason why someone doesn't just post the proposal as opposed to the "contact your district director" advice? I wonder why this information is not freely shared.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

It is a good bet that things have changed since the April Mn Hockey on this subject and the District Director in your District probably has the most current information, anything else is pure speculation. Some of the changes probably only include a few of the District Directors involved in loosing associations.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Whatthe wrote:Is there a reason why someone doesn't just post the proposal as opposed to the "contact your district director" advice? I wonder why this information is not freely shared.
It is an on going discussion.
The DD are 'meeting' regularly on what is happening.

Meeting meaning emails jointly, separately, phone calls, get togethers of two or three.

The DD's are trying to put together a good proposal without a lot of outside, biased opinions. Whether any of us like it or not we have our opinions and sometimes (most of the time) those opinions are biased toward what we think is best for 'ourselves'. To hold a discussion and take all those 'opinions' into perspective would probably be impossible.

When things are closer to being proposed I will certainly share the information. Today we are talking about 14 districts but tomorrow it may be 16 districts. Adn the discussion is far more than what assn will play in a league together (but that is the focus that most people are concerned).

So please be patient.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Whatthe wrote:Why will Lakeville have better competition? Is there going to be a metro-only district 8 group?

I didn't understand Elliott's post about District 8 and 4 looking like District 9.
The south half of 8 and the east part of 4, as stated building two new districts - one around Rochester and one around St Cloud. The other part is realigning some of the metro area.
Hockeydaddy

Post by Hockeydaddy »

It's kind of interesting, reading the board minutes from D6 Associations:

"D6 asked us to consider a move to a different district. After discussion, the board voted to remain in D6."

Can't redistrict if nobody agrees to leave - unless, of course, you just do it without asking. Maybe if the proposed elimination of regions goes through, people will want to get out of districts with powerhouses in them.
Whatthe

Post by Whatthe »

So to get redistricting by 2010-2011, MH still needs to get a firm proposal, get it communicated, get it discussed, get it voted upon at all levels over various objections and get a plan for implementation. And do it all in the one remaining off-season meeting?
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I believe the redistricting will be left to the Associations and Districts and the State won't touch that hot potato. If they make the decision there will be to much crying. If the Association feels they can find a better place for themsleves, and the Districts allow the change, done.

I think fixing D1 is first up and then the District 4 and 8 discussion. District 1 is pretty easy as I'm sure a few neighboring associations would like a shot at Regions and State by competing with Highland and Minneapolis-Park. Logical Associations for the move include some Associations out of too big District 8. Maybe Inver Grove Heights, South St. Paul and Sibley. Or Farmington and Cottage Grove. Maybe a couple from District 2 move to District 1 and a couple from District 10 (also too big) move to 2. North St. Paul and Roseville would be good fits for District 1. Or Mahtomedi, or Mounds View. Maybe even Kennedy from District 6 but I have to believe they're looking at moving to one association in Bloomington. If the Association decides it would be better for their membership to be in District 1, and District 1 accepts them, then I think it can be done. Kennedy is scheduling a single game with each D1 Association as they only play a single game against powerful District 6. Maybe a baby step.

3-4 others ready to make the move to District 1 for a shot at Regions?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Whatthe wrote:So to get redistricting by 2010-2011, MH still needs to get a firm proposal, get it communicated, get it discussed, get it voted upon at all levels over various objections and get a plan for implementation. And do it all in the one remaining off-season meeting?
No.
Firm proposal needs to be finalized by the DD's (will be done in September)
Communicated and discussed in the fall of 2009.
There would be one vote (MH board) - January 1010.

Of course, I am an optimist.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Night Train wrote:I believe the redistricting will be left to the Associations and Districts and the State won't touch that hot potato. If they make the decision there will be to much crying. If the Association feels they can find a better place for themsleves, and the Districts allow the change, done.

I think fixing D1 is first up and then the District 4 and 8 discussion. District 1 is pretty easy as I'm sure a few neighboring associations would like a shot at Regions and State by competing with Highland and Minneapolis-Park. Logical Associations for the move include some Associations out of too big District 8. Maybe Inver Grove Heights, South St. Paul and Sibley. Or Farmington and Cottage Grove. Maybe a couple from District 2 move to District 1 and a couple from District 10 (also too big) move to 2. North St. Paul and Roseville would be good fits for District 1. Or Mahtomedi, or Mounds View. Maybe even Kennedy from District 6 but I have to believe they're looking at moving to one association in Bloomington. If the Association decides it would be better for their membership to be in District 1, and District 1 accepts them, then I think it can be done. Kennedy is scheduling a single game with each D1 Association as they only play a single game against powerful District 6. Maybe a baby step.

Any move of Associations needs the vote of the MH board.
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Night Train wrote:...

I think fixing D1 is first up and then the District 4 and 8 discussion. District 1 is pretty easy as I'm sure a few neighboring associations would like a shot at Regions and State by competing with Highland and Minneapolis-Park. Logical Associations for the move include some Associations out of too big District 8. Maybe Inver Grove Heights, South St. Paul and Sibley. Or Farmington and Cottage Grove. Maybe a couple from District 2 move to District 1 and a couple from District 10 (also too big) move to 2. North St. Paul and Roseville would be good fits for District 1. Or Mahtomedi, or Mounds View. Maybe even Kennedy from District 6 but I have to believe they're looking at moving to one association in Bloomington. .....
Bring 'em on.... last year the Highland U12A team just coincidentally beat every one of these teams you mention (except Farmington and Mahtomedi, who don't have A teams).
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Why support a dieing District? The City teams are drying up and soon will be a St Paul team and a Mpls team with Richfield and Irondale hanging on. Johnson has maybe a yr or 2 left at the High school level and Como can't be far behind.

Move CG and Woodbury into D2 to slim down D8 a little.
mnhockeywatch

Redistricting - MN Hockey Fall Meeting

Post by mnhockeywatch »

Did MN Hockey take up the topic of Redistricting on Saturday or did the fiasco that they created namely participation/residency swamp them for the entire weekend?
Whatthe

Post by Whatthe »

I'm assuming the plan is still in place to get redistricting done by the time our grandkids are done playing?
edinahornetkid24

Post by edinahornetkid24 »

i think its great thats my contribution to this forum and ya :wink:
mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch »

The MN Hockey meeting is this weekend. What's the bet for a redistricting?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

We will be talking about it at 8 am and later in the day on Saturday 1/23; at the Marriott just off 394 & 169.
whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy »

Heres my bet on this , there is way to much common sense in the proposal, so it WONT pass!!!!!!!!!, the DDs will carry it but the other vote carring members with all the politics in it will nullify it our will table it because some association has problems with it.
Well its about time it gets done, and we can say one thing , it hasnt been rammed down anyones mouth like the health care issue. But it is time to pass it, as it has been at least 12 years in the making
Hope my bet is wrong, but im sticking with it
mnhockeywatch

Post by mnhockeywatch »

They did it....MN Hockey put the interests of its membership first!
MN Hockey has past the redistricting plan as proposed.
It did not go without detractors trying to sideline the proposal for another day but in the end the majority won out (quite literally) resulting in a unanimous vote.
whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy »

Gongrats to Mn Hockey, just when our hearts are pulled out by the Vikes, Mn Hockey does the right thing, it will start to put a little faith back there
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

Does anyone have the districts that were voted on? I looked on the MN Hockey website and I couldn't find a meeting agenda.....anyone know what that was?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Marty McSorely wrote:Does anyone have the districts that were voted on? I looked on the MN Hockey website and I couldn't find a meeting agenda.....anyone know what that was?
I have it at home.

I will try and get it up here today if at allpossible.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Marty McSorely wrote:Does anyone have the districts that were voted on? I looked on the MN Hockey website and I couldn't find a meeting agenda.....anyone know what that was?
From the District 4 website:

"Minnesota Hockey passes redistricting, The new propsal was passed at the January meeting . The new districts will take effect the 2010-2011 season.

2010-2011 New Districts:

District 4: Fairmont, Luverne, Marshall, Redwood Falls, Sleepy Eye, Windom, and Worthington.

District 9: Albert Lea, Austin, Dodge County, Faribault, LaCresent, Mankato, Montgomery, New Ulm, Northfield, Owatonna, Red Wing, Rochester, St Peter, Waseca, and Winona.

New Prague will go to District 6."
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Redistricting now has for the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 seasons.

District 1
Edgcumbe
East Side
Dino Mites
Langford Park
City of Lakes
(C or house teams and junior gold)

District 2
WBL
Stillwater
Roseville
Forest Lake
Tartan
Mounds View
No St Paul
Mahtomedi
Highland

District 3
Wayzata
Osseo/Maple Grove
Orono
North Metro
Hopkins
St Louis Park
Washburn
Southwest
Mound Westonka
Crow River
Armstrong Cooper

District 4
Fairmont
Luverne
Marshall
Redwood Falls
Sleepy Eye
Windom
Worthington

District 5
Becker
Buffalo
Hutchinson
Litchfield
Monticello
River Lakes
Sartell
Sauk Rapids
St Cloud
St Michael
Willmar

To be continued
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

District 6
Burnsville
Chaska
Eden Prairie
Edina
Jefferson
Kennedy
Minnetonka
New Prague
Prior Lake
Richfield
Shakopee
Waconia

District 8
Apple Valley
Cottage Grove
Eagan
Eastview
Farmington
Hasatings
Inver Grove Heights
Lakeville
Rosemount
Sibley
So St Paul
Woodbury

District 9
Albert Lea
Austin
Dodge County
Faribault
LaCrescent
Mankato
New Ulm
Northfield
Owatonna
Red Wing
Rochester
St Peter
Waseca
Winona

District 10
Andover
Anoka
Blaine
Cambridge
Centennial
Champlin Park
Chisago Lakes
Coon Rapids
Elk River
Hinckley
Irondale
Mora
North Branch
Pine City
Princeton
Rogers
Spring Lake Park
St Francis

Districts 11, 12, 15 & 16 unchanged as of now.