New standard of Play and Rules from USA Hockey Annual Mtg

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

lxhockey

New standard of Play and Rules from USA Hockey Annual Mtg

Post by lxhockey »

Has anybody read these?
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/assorted ... phasis.pdf

This pretty much will make all Bantam and JG teams ineligible to get HEP points as there will be too many called penalties.
Will this apply to HS also?

I would like some L3 & L4 refs to comment and interpret.
Slapshot*67

Post by Slapshot*67 »

Sounds like the NHL is trickling down.
my2cents

interference

Post by my2cents »

Cracking down on "pics"? So Basketball is now allowed to be more physical than hockey. Ridiculous.
Blade Side Down

CALLING THE RULES

Post by Blade Side Down »

Is it that bad? The new NHL has been great. Everybody talks about there Initiation Program (Mite/Termite) and then as you move up the ladder in youth and HS you can display them.
If it is the rules call it.
Include tagup and the delay of game for puck leaving the deffensive zone too. :wink:
freighttrain

Re: CALLING THE RULES

Post by freighttrain »

Blade Side Down wrote:Is it that bad? The new NHL has been great. Everybody talks about there Initiation Program (Mite/Termite) and then as you move up the ladder in youth and HS you can display them.
If it is the rules call it.
Include tagup and the delay of game for puck leaving the deffensive zone too. :wink:
Jr Gold and U16 levels in Minnesota will allow tagup offsides for next season.
mnhockey36299

Rules

Post by mnhockey36299 »

The rule changes sound fine, let the skill players play, and take out the holding, hooking, etc.. Why would you not want the kids to play hockey, and stop the goon stuff.
lxhockey

rules

Post by lxhockey »

Holding and hooking and tripping are already violations that result in
penalties. These new rules sound like a Defensive player that uses his
stick to raise the stick of his opponent while helping guard the front of his net will get a penalty.

That's why I'm looking for interpretation from the officials.
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

Hockey isnt just meant for the pretty players who can stickhandle around them. If you think it is thats why we also have basketball. Kids today at the older levels have already learned how to not only deal with the small little shoving and pushing and lifting of the stick but to get more physical and drill them. If you cant handle the physical part of the game, let alone giving a kid a little shove, then go put your makeup on and get ready for the dance recital.
hockeystripes33

Post by hockeystripes33 »

As to the interpretation, I can't give a definite answer. I can say the way I read these new focuses is simply putting more focus on playing the game. They still allow the stronger players a legal advantage, but do not allow any type of cheap shots. To address lxhockey's concern about a defenseman in front of the net, I don't see any mention of that action being a focus. In fact in the interference section, on the link provided, it says players are allowed to compete for position using their strength and balance. To me, raising an opponents stick from the ice is part of your strength. When it becomes trying to hack the stick out of the hands is when you reach the slashing penalty. That is the way I understand what I read. What do the officials have to say about this?
nitch1992

Post by nitch1992 »

I think this is great. I was talking to a Ref. last year and he was wondering if Minnesota Hockey wanted them to call the game like the NHL. The rules are not changing just like they didn't change in the NHL, they are making the referee's more accountable in enforcing the rules. This will definitely allow the truely skilled players to play the game like it should be played. Hockey is a game of skill. Don't get me wrong there is a place for physical play (I enjoy seeing a good hard check as much as the next guy). The thing I don't enjoy watching at any level is the holding in the corners and in front of the net. If the strongest part of your game is the physical part and you can't skate (to get in the correct position), pass, and puck handle you shouldn't be on the ice.
LovetheGlove1

Post by LovetheGlove1 »

just went to a seminar (reffing) today and we are supposed to call it as TIGHT as possible I think that the teams that can get HEP points will definately be more likely to get to districts and yes this will apply for high school too. we will be seeing about 10-20 penalties a game no joke selcet 15s they were calling about 20 a game. it is going to be amazingly tight. so it will definately be an intresting year but i think peanlities will go down later in the year because teams will learn.

ps try to watch the video on www.usahockey.com before your games start so you can stay outta the box
Rinkrat95

Post by Rinkrat95 »

Its good to hold a standard, but what will happen if the coaches get kicked out of too many games for the players taking pen.
tunavichy

Post by tunavichy »

Have the new rules gone to far? I just got off the phone with a friend from White Bear where they had there District 2 meeting last night. The head Referee was telling everyone that he did a A Bantam game the othe day and that he called 51 total penaltieis and that he should have called more.
Common sense tells me that with in two years Minnesota hockey is going to take the game we have always loved and turn it into sort of a ringette format. A couple of years ago I heard on the radio garage logic that Johnson was hosting a Friendship tournament anthat the winner of the tournament was the team with the least penalties. Is this where we are headed? Just a few thoughts! Is this another way of making the bigger associations with better players leave the small associations in the dust. All this is going to create is an atmosphere where the strong teams and areas are going to smoke less talented areas. What does Hill-Murray practice every day? The POWER PLAY. The good players are going to be on the ice every power play. Not so talented SIT DOWN!!!!!!!
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

Everytime there is a penalty against one team you reduce the number of players on the ice for a period of time. Youth hockey should be about trying to get players on the ice not finding ways to take them off. You are right, that the powerplay/penalty kill guys (typically stronger players) will likely get more ice time. That's what is happening in the NHL but is that good for youth hockey?? Less ice time for some due to the way the league has decided to call penalties. I don't think so.

In games with 20, 30, 40 or over 50 penalties how many minutes of our 'valuable' ice time is being wasted while refs make these calls and shut down the game flow? How is that good for the game? We don't have unlimited ice like the NHL so when our hour clock ends, we're done. The likely result of all of this is that more games will end with a Zamboni opening a gate rather than a game clock running down to 0. Is that good for youth hockey?

I believe that HEP points were designed to get a message across that you need to be more careful with penalties. Although I think HEP points are a silly way of deciding league champions, teams were beginning to take note of penalties and trying to reduce them. Why come in now and make the blanket sweep of how you will call penalties, costing most teams their HEP points and shortening everyones bench? The long term plan of HEP points gradually reducing penalties seemed to be working so why change the approach after only a year?

Players need to learn that you can't keep using your stick as a weapon and that they got to keep their feet moving. Mn. Hockey needs to learn to think through things more and realize the impact of their decisions on the ENTIRE game! What sounds good in a Board room needs to be thought through on how it will effect the ice. More players sitting and watching the game rather than touching the puck can NEVER be considered good for development or good for youth hockey.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

As the heading clearly states this mandate comes from USA Hockey, not the Minnesota Hockey board.

However; give it a chance and see what happens.

The way some are reacting; we would never have a new book published let alone indoor plumbing.
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

USA Hockey also prefers using birth years for age divisions but Mn. Hockey chose to do things their own way (which I applaud them for). I believe Mn. Hockey also was one of few to start using HEP so maybe we didn't need to follow USA hockey on this move because we already were doing our own thing.

I'm sure that we can wait and see how it all works out but this forum is about getting opinions so I gave one. In my opinion they are making too many changes in to short of a timeframe. The end result is that refs are being told to call everything to 'send a message' and the games are being chopped up and becoming shorthanded showcases; not 5 on 5 hockey. That means less ice time per player for 'the game' which I think is bad for youth hockey.

For what it is worth, I think it is GREAT for NHL hockey where time is unlimited so games are always completed and shorthanded play opens up the ice and the scoring. Pro Hockey needed something to 'juice' up the scoring and make it more entertaining to the fans but that doesn't make it the best thing for youth hockey.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The elite leagues are using the new rule. The first game(s) had a significant amount of penalties. But the kids adjusted and the subsequent games had less penalties and less clutching etc...

MN Hockey follows USA Hockey age guidelines.
MN Hockey pee wees are registered with USA Hockey as bantams (MN peewee).
Some rules allow for deviation or are given special permission. But USA Hockey rules are the basis fopr Mn Hockey rules.

I respect your right to an opinion, my complaint is the dissatisfaction is coming so early that application of the rule has had little time to be effective. (Most northern teams have not been picked or even started yet). Metro teams may have been selected by now but how many games have been played.

The new rule was discussed at the MN Hockey board meeting. The result was let see what happens before we react to it. We had the same discussion at the D16 September meeting. WE want everyone to get on the same page (as far as officials at each local association) and then let's make adjustments after we have had time to analyze it.
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Truth

New Rules

Post by The Truth »

I look at this a little different. I think the supposed new rules will help. For years teams have used picks and stick work to gain unfair advantages on the ice. The problem is the teams that are most guilty of this are your more skilled teams. The problem I see is referees still ref the games on reputation. If a team is said to be physical they will call a lot of penalties. I will be curious to see if they actually inforce the new rules because some associations who were not penalized much in the past should be in the box quite a bit more.