Hobey Hat Trick

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UNDlars

Hobey Hat Trick

Post by UNDlars »

Maybe because I'm a UND fan, but does anyone else out there think JP Lamoureoux got screwed? I can see Porter (who I think will win) and Gerbe, but Ryan Jones over JPL??? JPL leads the nation in almost all major goaltending statistical categories all while having the toughest schedule.
wisconsinprephockey

Post by wisconsinprephockey »

Lamoureoux was second on my ballot.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Maybe Oshie grabbed some votes away from JPL which caused JPL to drop in the overall vote tally? Sort of like how some baseball players on the same team may be considered MVP candidates but they split the votes so much that neither ends up winning the award in the end.

I guess it is tough to say without knowing how the vote ended up but I would think that could be a distinct possibility.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

How could he not be one of the finalists after this past weekend? I really think Ryan Jones from Miami is about as overrated as one can be. I also think there were a few a little more deserving than Gerbe. Oh well. Go Sioux.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

MNHockey75 wrote:How could he not be one of the finalists after this past weekend? I really think Ryan Jones from Miami is about as overrated as one can be. I also think there were a few a little more deserving than Gerbe. Oh well. Go Sioux.
30 goal scorer overrated? Ryan Jones is a big reason Miami was so good this year, who scored the goal to send the BC game to overtime? RYAN JONES! I've watched him play at least 5 times this year and he was always one of if not the best player on the ice. Like someone stated earlier on this thread JP lost some votes because of TJ and Duncan.

My vote gos to Porter hands down!
Last edited by Reggie on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Yeah, I do think complaining about who made the final three is worthless. The award is going to be won by Porter and it wouldn't have mattered who the other two finalists were when it comes down to it.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Gopher Blog wrote:Yeah, I do think complaining about who made the final three is worthless. The award is going to be won by Porter and it wouldn't have mattered who the other two finalists were when it comes down to it.
Good point Gopher Blog. I think everyone knows that Porter has it wrapped up but I thought I'd stir a little discussion.
boblee

post 10280

Post by boblee »

MNHockey75 wrote:How could he not be one of the finalists after this past weekend? I really think Ryan Jones from Miami is about as overrated as one can be.
Really? The pros must think that too. He signed his profession contract the other day.
61ache

Re: post 10280

Post by 61ache »

boblee wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:How could he not be one of the finalists after this past weekend? I really think Ryan Jones from Miami is about as overrated as one can be.
Really? The pros must think that too. He signed his profession contract the other day.
Signed one year contract for $300,000 to go play in Houston. Don't know if this is ringing endorsement for not overrated. If anything, signing now indicates he's resigned to the fact he doesn't have a snowballs chance of winning the Hobey Baker and his stock's not going to rise.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

61ache wrote:Signed one year contract for $300,000 to go play in Houston. Don't know if this is ringing endorsement for not overrated. If anything, signing now indicates he's resigned to the fact he doesn't have a snowballs chance of winning the Hobey Baker and his stock's not going to rise.
The Hobey wouldn't make his stock/salary go up to any significant degree so the timing of when he signed is meaningless. The Wild knew what they had either way and a Hobey isn't going to suddenly bump a guy's pay up a ton. A completely moot point to bring up.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

Gopher Blog wrote:
61ache wrote:Signed one year contract for $300,000 to go play in Houston. Don't know if this is ringing endorsement for not overrated. If anything, signing now indicates he's resigned to the fact he doesn't have a snowballs chance of winning the Hobey Baker and his stock's not going to rise.
The Hobey wouldn't make his stock/salary go up to any significant degree so the timing of when he signed is meaningless. The Wild knew what they had either way and a Hobey isn't going to suddenly bump a guy's pay up a ton. A completely moot point to bring up.
I don't really agree, but I see where you're coming from. I think, which isn't relevant, that you would have a pretty lousy agent if you couldn't milk money from winning the Hobey Baker.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

61ache wrote:I don't really agree, but I see where you're coming from. I think, which isn't relevant, that you would have a pretty lousy agent if you couldn't milk money from winning the Hobey Baker.
The Hobey doesn't mean much to an NHL team. It is just an award handed out on a level that is at least a step or two below the NHL. It doesn't really prove anything to the pros.

Even if you wanted to use the argument that a team could use it as a marketing tool, I don't exactly see some of the ex-Hobey winners in the NHL having that aspect of their background marketed all around and creating oodles of extra cash for their team.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I'm sorry. I'm just not a huge Jones fan. It seems like every time I've watched Miami over the past four years he kind of blends in (except for the hair this year). I didn't realize the Wild drafted him. I guess I'm going to have to route for him now. I think he's going to have to play in Houston for quite some time because he doesn't handle the puck that well and he seemed to have a hard time hitting the net against BC. He does know how to hit though. Kevin Porter should win the award, but I never thought Duncan would win it last year.
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

Who is in the Hat Trick??
PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT!!
DmanDad1980

Re: Hobey Hat Trick

Post by DmanDad1980 »

UNDlars wrote:Maybe because I'm a UND fan, but does anyone else out there think JP Lamoureoux got screwed? I can see Porter (who I think will win) and Gerbe, but Ryan Jones over JPL??? JPL leads the nation in almost all major goaltending statistical categories all while having the toughest schedule.
That might have been because JPL got to play the vaunted Gophers offensive jaggernaut, 4 times this year... :shock:

Okay, Okay, just joking everyone... Go Gophers! Ness for Hobey in 2009!
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
UNDlars wrote:Maybe because I'm a UND fan, but does anyone else out there think JP Lamoureoux got screwed? I can see Porter (who I think will win) and Gerbe, but Ryan Jones over JPL??? JPL leads the nation in almost all major goaltending statistical categories all while having the toughest schedule.
That might have been because JPL got to play the vaunted Gophers offensive jaggernaut, 4 times this year... :shock:

The Sioux are #1 in the nation in strength of schedule. Ryan Jones is only 7th in the nation in scoring, and he's played 8 more games than the guy he's tied with. Jones isn't even in the top 30 in assists. The three Hobey finalists are the top 3 in the nation in goals, it's funny how that works. The main criteria for hobey finalists shouldn't just be goals, that's just me.

JP Lamoureux:

41 GP
27-10-4
.936 SV % - 1st
6 Shutouts - 1st
1.64 GAA - 1st

The stats say it all. All 3 finalists may deserve it just as much, but how can you get denied with these numbers?
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

cajones18 wrote:Who is in the Hat Trick??
Kevin Porter.....Michigan
Nate Gerbe.....Boston College
Ryan Jones.....Miami (OH)
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

MNHockey75 wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:

The Sioux are #1 in the nation in strength of schedule. Ryan Jones is only 7th in the nation in scoring, and he's played 8 more games than the guy he's tied with. Jones isn't even in the top 30 in assists. The three Hobey finalists are the top 3 in the nation in goals, it's funny how that works. The main criteria for hobey finalists shouldn't just be goals, that's just me.

JP Lamoureux:

41 GP
27-10-4
.936 SV % - 1st
6 Shutouts - 1st
1.64 GAA - 1st

The stats say it all. All 3 finalists may deserve it just as much, but how can you get denied with these numbers?
Further evidence nobody likes the Sioux.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Lopresti

Post by Lopresti »

Voting for the Hobey isn't always fair. Ryan Potulny in 2006, lead the nation in goals and had 38g 25a for 63 pts. He wasn't a member of the 3 finalists. Matt Carle won it which is all right, but Potulny not even top 3? :shock:
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote: That might have been because JPL got to play the vaunted Gophers offensive jaggernaut, 4 times this year... :shock:

JP Lamoureux:

41 GP
27-10-4
.936 SV % - 1st
6 Shutouts - 1st
1.64 GAA - 1st

2007 Hobey Baker Winner - Ryan Duncan, University of North Dakota

What time do the Gophers play next week?
EREmpireStrikesBack

MNHockey75 wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote: The Sioux are #1 in the nation in strength of schedule. Ryan Jones is only 7th in the nation in scoring, and he's played 8 more games than the guy he's tied with. Jones isn't even in the top 30 in assists. The three Hobey finalists are the top 3 in the nation in goals, it's funny how that works. The main criteria for hobey finalists shouldn't just be goals, that's just me.

JP Lamoureux:

41 GP
27-10-4
.936 SV % - 1st
6 Shutouts - 1st
1.64 GAA - 1st

What'd he do this year? Just riding on Toews's coattails.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

MNHockey75 wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote: Further evidence nobody likes the Sioux.

What'd he do this year? Just riding on Toews's coattails.

I realize that. I'm not that big of a Duncan fan, he will never play in the NHL, that's a fact. I was just pointing out that the "nobody likes the Sioux" statement doesn't really make sense here, because a Sioux player won the award last year.
I honestly think he didn't make the ballot because of two reasons: 1) They probably don't want a team getting the award in back-to-back years. 2) The big reason, Lamoureux can do some things on the ice that aren't of the best sportmanship. He's been known to dive, get penalties, throw pucks out of his glove after saves like he's Martin Brodeur, and over-emphasize saves.
Sportmanship is probably a big part of the award. We all knew Oshie would never win one because of all the off the ice issues (not to mention the disapointing numbers). Ryan Jones grew his hair out, so that after the year was over, he'd give it to charity for cancer patients who can't grow it. It makes a big difference when they are voting, I'm sure.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Lammy was never going to win it anyway. I am not sure why some Sioux fans continue to whine like a five year old over it when he wasn't even close to being the favorite to win it. If anybody other than Porter of Michigan wins it, it will be a major shocker.

Its not as if the voters got together in a room and decided, "Hey, we can't vote for a guy who plays for the same team as last year's winner!" That is the typical Sioux conspiracy thinking that seems to dominate their fan base's mentality. :oops:
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Gopher Blog wrote:Lammy was never going to win it anyway. I am not sure why some Sioux fans continue to whine like a five year old over it when he wasn't even close to being the favorite to win it. If anybody other than Porter of Michigan wins it, it will be a major shocker.

Its not as if the voters got together in a room and decided, "Hey, we can't vote for a guy who plays for the same team as last year's winner!" That is the typical Sioux conspiracy thinking that seems to dominate their fan base's mentality. :oops:
Well, I was just thinking...when was the last time a team had back-to-back hobey's? I looked it up by the way, 92-93 Pellerin and Kariya from Maine. This isn't a conspiracy theory, sometimes it feels like there are trends that happen with these awards. Which aparently there aren't, because it's happened twice. It's an honor to have one of your favorite teams players on the hobey hat-trick, some people are just a little bummed, that's all. Duncan winning it last year was a huge shocker, so I wouldn't be too shocked if Porter didn't win it, he should though.

I don't know why some people care so much about a couple people disagreeing with the finalists. Do any of you even care one bit about a guy from Michigan, Boston College, or Miami? There were 4 possible finalists, and the way Lamoureux has been playing and his team moving on, I think he deserved to be in the final 3. It's hard to argue against the other 3 being there, all very deserving.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Maybe not so much nobody likes the Sioux as much as the WCHA being slightly overrated this year and that came back to eat JPL.