University of Minnesota new head coach?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

I can't believe Mike Guentzel's name hasn't come up. This guy bleeds maroon and gold, is a great recruiter and a solid hockey guy. If Lucia were to leave, I would love to see Mike as the new head coach.
BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets »

Not sure there are too many guys out there who would be better than Lucia at this point. If his health deteriorates then we should be looking at folks who have done wonders with questionable programs...like he did with CC. The guy at Notre Dame would be one, but thats a tough place to remove guys from...but unlike other sports Gopher Hockey is a destination job.
CasseauCougar

Post by CasseauCougar »

Again since we're playing 'what if', I'd love to see Dean Blais. Timing could be right with Don needing to focus on his health and I'm not sure the Fargo Force worked out so well for Blais.

On another note, I think one of the sader departures was Mike Guentzel. Without question, he had the number 1 eye for talent, particularly around the state of MN. I didn't see him as head coach, but he rocked in his role.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

CasseauCougar wrote:Again since we're playing 'what if', I'd love to see Dean Blais. Timing could be right with Don needing to focus on his health and I'm not sure the Fargo Force worked out so well for Blais.

On another note, I think one of the sader departures was Mike Guentzel. Without question, he had the number 1 eye for talent, particularly around the state of MN. I didn't see him as head coach, but he rocked in his role.
You're right, Blais would be a great choice. How about Blais, Guentzel and Scott Bell? This would give the Gophers some successful guys who wore the maroon and gold.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I like that. Then Guentzel can move in as Head Coach after Blais retires or moves on. Would be great for the program for many years!
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

I heard Blais was a frontrunner for the Wild job 8)
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Looks like Lucia gets to keep his job a little while longer. The push to replace him Blais took a hit with him agreeing to take over at Nebraska-Omaha.
cchky

Post by cchky »

Lucia is off to another bad year. It is time for him to go!!!!!!!

The U of M should ALLWAYS be one of the top 2-3 teams in the WCHA and they should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER not be the best hockey team in the State. Right now I think we are the 4th best team in the State.

WCHA-
1. ND (ranked 2nd nationally)
2. Denver (#4)
3. CC (#10)
4. UMD (#18 )
5. ST CLOUD (#22)
6. U of M (#25)

and if Bemidji St and UNO were in the conf this year Minn would be 8th. (BSU #7, UNO #11)

That is embarrassing!!!!!!!
61ache

Post by 61ache »

My vote to replace the Don. Carey Eades. Let the heckling begin. He knows how to coach, has put out some well coached teams in his day, shown he can develop top NHL players, and I love his style of hockey.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

61ache wrote:My vote to replace the Don. Carey Eades. Let the heckling begin. He knows how to coach, has put out some well coached teams in his day, shown he can develop top NHL players, and I love his style of hockey.
I will endd my gopher allegiance if that d1ck is named head coach...
61ache

Post by 61ache »

mngopherfan wrote:
61ache wrote:My vote to replace the Don. Carey Eades. Let the heckling begin. He knows how to coach, has put out some well coached teams in his day, shown he can develop top NHL players, and I love his style of hockey.
Because he coaches for the big, bad, nasty UND? He's a good coach. He was in Warroad, he is at UND, he leads with passion and his teams are tough as coffin nails. If you don't want that for your club, your not going to have a lot of success in the WCHA. That's just my opinion.
northwoods oldtimer

The Don

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

That would be very good to have occur in gopher land perhaps then that team would get some fans that actually know something about ice hockey and do not whine for a flippin' penalty every time a precious rodents loses an edge on the ice. :P
Cary Eades could out coach the Don any day.
mngopherfan

Re: The Don

Post by mngopherfan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
That would be very good to have occur in gopher land perhaps then that team would get some fans that actually know something about ice hockey and do not whine for a flippin' penalty every time a precious rodents loses an edge on the ice. :P
Cary Eades could out coach the Don any day.
I've personally dealt with him and i think he's a pr1ck. My opinion.

Coaching wise, i think there are a BUNCH better candidates than Eades...and I can't imagine that the U would get away with hiring another Non-UofM grad. There are plenty out there with great coaching experience, Guentz being one of them.

i understand you have your bias (being from the "northwoods'') and i have mine, good thing neither of us make the decision! :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

Coaching

mngf,
Coaching wise, i think there are a BUNCH better candidates than Eades...and I can't imagine that the U would get away with hiring another Non-UofM grad. There are plenty out there with great coaching experience, Guentz being one of them.
I would like to see Blais or Guentzel get the job as well. They are both good coaches. We disagree on coach Eades but that is okay in my book. :wink:
flatontheice

Re: Coaching

Post by flatontheice »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:mngf,
I would like to see Blais or Guentzel get the job as well. They are both good coaches. We disagree on coach Eades but that is okay in my book. :wink:
I don't think Blais should be considered. He is a good coach but he was only a gopher for 2 years. He personally raked the U program over the coals any chance he got and is part of the undermining process right now. The only real candidate in my mind is Mike Guentzel....hardest working guy in hockey, passionate, Proven, a winner, and completely committed to the U of M program his entire career.

Lucia needs to fire Hill this week, swallow his pride, and ask Guentz to come back next week to help him get the program back on track. Keeping Hill is going to cost him his job. The alumni (myself included) are completely fed up with Hill. He brings nothing to this program. At least Lucia is from Minnesota.. Not one alumni that I talk to has any respect for John Hill. If Lucia wants to save his job at all, it is time to man up and let the real problem go and step in a bring the man the alumni truly respect back. Sooner rather than later.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

One other thing. Here are the comparative coaching stats for both Hill and Guentzel. Maybe this is why when John Hill jumped on the bench last year as the head coach (sioux series) the gophers got completely smoked:

John Hill

68-155-21 Win percentage .281

(Including a 1-28 record at UAA and 8-40 record in the USHL)

Mike Guentzel

152-74-8 Win percentage .649

(Has never had a losing season)

These are record in their head coaching roles only I think Lucia fired the wrong guy. One guys a winner that is clear.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

flatontheice wrote:
One other thing. Here are the comparative coaching stats for both Hill and Guentzel. Maybe this is why when John Hill jumped on the bench last year as the head coach (sioux series) the gophers got completely smoked:

John Hill

Mike Guentzel

These are record in their head coaching roles only I think Lucia fired the wrong guy. One guys a winner that is clear.
I'm a Guentz fan and would prefer he still be on the staff, but these stats prove nothing...
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

The person Lucia should bring back to coach the D is Billy Butters. Former players speak highly of him and would bring some grit and passion back to the program.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

mngopherfan wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:mngf, I would like to see Blais or Guentzel get the job as well. They are both good coaches. We disagree on coach Eades but that is okay in my book. :wink:

John Hill

Mike Guentzel

I'm a Guentz fan and would prefer he still be on the staff, but these stats prove nothing...
They prove one is a winner and one isn't.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

flatontheice wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
flatontheice wrote: One other thing. Here are the comparative coaching stats for both Hill and Guentzel. Maybe this is why when John Hill jumped on the bench last year as the head coach (sioux series) the gophers got completely smoked:

John Hill

Mike Guentzel

Ha, great explanation. Those stat's show and prove nothing. Those were when they were head coaches...as an assistant you have different responsibilities, duties ect...but you must have it all figured out, why don't you send your extensive research to Maturi, i'm sure he'll fix it immediately.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

mngopherfan wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
mngopherfan wrote: I'm a Guentz fan and would prefer he still be on the staff, but these stats prove nothing...
Ha, great explanation. Those stat's show and prove nothing. Those were when they were head coaches...as an assistant you have different responsibilities, duties ect...but you must have it all figured out, why don't you send your extensive research to Maturi, i'm sure he'll fix it immediately.
Wow...why so bitter about me just putting up some stats. You don't think that I understand that the responsibilities are different. I don't claim to have it all figured out just my opinion that firing guentzel was a bad move that has led to a major deterioration in the quality of a once great program. In case you have not figured it out Maturi is part of the problem here as he is letting emotions (Boyhood friendships) get in the way of making a decision about John Hill when he has clearly been versed on all the issues surrounding agents, high school coaches, alumni, Junior coaches, and general fans dislike and lack of respect for the guy. Until he steps in to remove Hill, the general impression of this program will not improve. Again, that is only my opinion.
defense

Post by defense »

61ache wrote:
mngopherfan wrote:
Because he coaches for the big, bad, nasty UND? He's a good coach. He was in Warroad, he is at UND, he leads with passion and his teams are tough as coffin nails. If you don't want that for your club, your not going to have a lot of success in the WCHA. That's just my opinion.
FYI: The boys from Warroad started UND's division 1 hockey program. I don' t know if you were using the fact that he coached at Warroad as an argument, but Warroad is pro UND and always will be. That said, I say no. Here's why: Mike Tice, Tim Brewster, even Brad Childress, the ballot is out on Richardson.... Minnesota has had way too many unknown coaches in major sports. None of the above really proved anything before they were hired or after. I think we, Minnesota sports fans deserve more at this point.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

defense wrote:
61ache wrote:
mngopherfan wrote: I will endd my gopher allegiance if that d1ck is named head coach...
FYI: The boys from Warroad started UND's division 1 hockey program. I don' t know if you were using the fact that he coached at Warroad as an argument, but Warroad is pro UND and always will be. That said, I say no. Here's why: Mike Tice, Tim Brewster, even Brad Childress, the ballot is out on Richardson.... Minnesota has had way too many unknown coaches in major sports. None of the above really proved anything before they were hired or after. I think we, Minnesota sports fans deserve more at this point.
WOW. Cary Eades is a proven coach. He's running the show at North Dakota right now. He's a great recruiter at UND and an excellent judge of talent. He knows what to look for to find guys with the intangibles the Gophers are misssing. He would be a great head coach at any program. The fact that he did play at UND makes him an unlikely candidate but he's more than qualified. The ONLY coach better would be Blais.

Minnesota sports fans deserve better? Let's hear some choices, who would be better? Bring Woog back. What's Brad Buetow doing now?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I know Eades is a very good coach, but please don't say he is running the show at UND. Hakstol is the one that calls the shots. They do work extremely well together and have an excellent program.
northwoods oldtimer

Yup yup

mulefarm wrote:The person Lucia should bring back to coach the D is Billy Butters. Former players speak highly of him and would bring some grit and passion back to the program.
Amen mulefarm, amen :!: But you have to clean out the head guy too. Only one BIG problem the U has a lot of salary tied up in "the Don". Once you sell out though you should walk the plank for sure. "The don" has done that to the program for sure. Blais, Guentzel, Butters....get r done!! You need a guy like Dean Blais to come into that program and give the Rodents a much needed enema. Blow out the lazy "star" players and build a team. no flippin' politics get a team!