How long does Lucia have left?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Judgeandjury

How long does Lucia have left?

Post by Judgeandjury »

Over the past three seasons I've seen a trend of poor play at the University of Minnesota. One could be quick to point out that Minnesota annually loses top underclassmen to the NHL. Although that may be true I feel every other school goes through the same scenario. I still believe most schools keep their good player for 2-3 years while Minnesota annually loses top player 1-2 years into their college career. With this said I think it's time we all quit making excuses for Minnesota and ask how much longer do we have to suffer with below average teams. Lucia seems to be getting top (Minnesota) players each and every year and cannot seem to win lately.
Either Minnesota isn't producing top talent or Lucia isn't getting everything out of the Minnesota kids. It's one or the other. No in between.

Another important note: A lot of players have bailed over the past thre years all pointing fingers at Lucia.
Can Lucia get Stoa to stay his senior year or will he be the next outstanding player to leave early?
How long will Shroeder stay?

Thoughts?

I feel the University of Minnesota needs to take a good look at the past three years and meet with Lucia and ask what is going on :?: Minnesota is loaded with history and tradition. For "State of Hockey" expectations Lucia is starting to slip. If he comes back next year and has a poor year it is time for a change. There are no more excuses!

Dean Blaise? :D
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Lucia is the only coach in school history besides Herb Brooks to win NCAA champiopnships.
He's earned more time.
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Lucia is the only coach in school history besides Herb Brooks to win NCAA champiopnships.
He's earned more time.
I've been saying that for the past two years. Lucia gets a "FREE" pass next year. If his team struggles again next year NO MORE EXCUSES!
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Judgeandjury wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Lucia is the only coach in school history besides Herb Brooks to win NCAA champiopnships.
He's earned more time.
I've been saying that for the past two years. Lucia gets a "FREE" pass next year. If his team struggles again next year NO MORE EXCUSES!
He has a contract through 2010-11 I believe. I'm sure they will take a good look at the coaching situation then.
HOUNDS
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

Lucia4President wrote:
Judgeandjury wrote:
He's earned more time.
He has a contract through 2010-11 I believe. I'm sure they will take a good look at the coaching situation then.
It will be interesting how the university handles the situation. Everyone expects the mens basketball and football team to struggle each year but the mens hockey team has higher expectations. No one's been calling out Lucia for the past three or four seasons.
If you take a look at some of the talented players he's had over the past four years how does he not get to the frozen four? Keep in mind he won two national championships with Woog kids. No one had any expectations those two years of winning a national championship.
The past three years we've had great players leave not saying good things about Lucia. I think it's time the University tells Lucia to clean up the mess and quit covering up for him.
I say give Lucia next year to turn things around. If not show him the door.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

judgeandjury - Let's say you had the power to get your wish and fire Lucia, who are you going to replace him with?
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Every team loses players, that is no longer an excuse for a coach. It should count against them when evaluating performance as a whole.

I'm starting to see what Garth Snow was talking about.

Stoa will be gone. The Avalanche could use him immediately and will sign him on the day after the NCAA field is announced.

Dean Blais will be the next coach of the Gophers. The only question is it next year or the year after?
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I kind of laughed at this topic a while back, but now I think it may be legitimate.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Judgeandjury wrote:
He's earned more time.
Gophs will be fine next year! all teams have there ups and downs get use to it. The Players need to start playing like a team not like a bunch of individuals that think they are the greatest in the world when it comes to hockey. Bottom line the kids lace up the skates not the coaches. I think a big part of it is that the player could give a sh-t about college hockey especially when they believe they will be making all of that ching $$$.
biscuit in the basket

Post by biscuit in the basket »

Bring back the Woogster!!!! :lol:
Puck the Sioux, Go Gophers.
Indians forever

biscuit in the basket wrote:Bring back the Woogster!!!! :lol:
Yeah, there you go that will solve all of the problems!! :lol: :lol:
grindiangrad-80

I would like to see judgeandjury take over.
He has the answers.
Just ask him.
Indians forever

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I would like to see judgeandjury take over.
He has the answers.
Just ask him.
You are right he seems to have all of the answers!!! I would like to see what his opinions is on our recession??
grindiangrad-80

Indians forever wrote:
He has the answers.
Just ask him.
You are right he seems to have all of the answers!!! I would like to see what his opinions is on our recession??
:lol:
BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets »

I think Lucia has earned the right to finish his contract at least. I think he needs to recruit a few kids that will be there for 3 years. Many schools have the 'one and dones' lately, but UND usually has a stockpile of former Jr A guys who are on their last stop. Gives them size and experience...been that way for 30 years.

As for former players trashing the guy, I think the last few years too many 'program' kids have been getting a ride with hopes of doing a year or two before going pro. Lots of these guys were used to superstar treatment in highschool and below, not used to a guy getting in their face. Not many guys liked Herb when he was their coach. Most love was after the fact.

With that said, we need some size and toughness on the blue line, and a couple wings who can thump in the corner. This year its been embarrassing to watch the D stand around and wait to make plays while Kangas got peppered from inside the circles.

Finishing near .500 is unacceptable for the Gophers, but with more nearby schools going D1 (Bemidji in a few years) UM will not have quite so much 'pick of the litter'. We need to be more aggressive in recruiting.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

BeerBibleBullets wrote:I think Lucia has earned the right to finish his contract at least. I think he needs to recruit a few kids that will be there for 3 years. Many schools have the 'one and dones' lately, but UND usually has a stockpile of former Jr A guys who are on their last stop. Gives them size and experience...been that way for 30 years.

As for former players trashing the guy, I think the last few years too many 'program' kids have been getting a ride with hopes of doing a year or two before going pro. Lots of these guys were used to superstar treatment in highschool and below, not used to a guy getting in their face. Not many guys liked Herb when he was their coach. Most love was after the fact.

With that said, we need some size and toughness on the blue line, and a couple wings who can thump in the corner. This year its been embarrassing to watch the D stand around and wait to make plays while Kangas got peppered from inside the circles.

Finishing near .500 is unacceptable for the Gophers, but with more nearby schools going D1 (Bemidji in a few years) UM will not have quite so much 'pick of the litter'. We need to be more aggressive in recruiting.
Bemidji St. is already D1.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

wbmd wrote:
BeerBibleBullets wrote:I think Lucia has earned the right to finish his contract at least. I think he needs to recruit a few kids that will be there for 3 years. Many schools have the 'one and dones' lately, but UND usually has a stockpile of former Jr A guys who are on their last stop. Gives them size and experience...been that way for 30 years.

Bemidji St. is already D1.
Makes me really interested in the rest of the post. :roll:
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Where have you been?
No matter what school goes D1, the Gophers will always get the "pick of the litter." However, they are reluctant to recruit anyone from out of state. which I admire.
Just a thought; why don't they get some kids from Shattuck? Those kids are playing "high school" hockey in Minnesota. I know Hakstal and his crew love grabbing kids from Faribault. The last player from Shattuck was Tyler Hirsch. Despite his odd finish to his Gopher career, he had 3 very good years for the Gophers. And won a national championship.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

MNHockey75 wrote:

Where have you been?
No matter what school goes D1, the Gophers will always get the "pick of the litter." However, they are reluctant to recruit anyone from out of state. which I admire.
Just a thought; why don't they get some kids from Shattuck? Those kids are playing "high school" hockey in Minnesota. I know Hakstal and his crew love grabbing kids from Faribault. The last player from Shattuck was Tyler Hirsch. Despite his odd finish to his Gopher career, he had 3 very good years for the Gophers. And won a national championship.
I think Lucia should avoid Shattuck, between Tyley Hirsch and Kyle Okposo the Don couldn't have picked up worse recruits if his enemies had sent them to the U.
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

He has the answers.
Just ask him.
Thanks for the support. :roll:

Can anyone tell me what region is Minnesota playing in this year for the NCAA's? :wink:
Ilovethe212

Post by Ilovethe212 »

I think that Don Lucias days should be limited at the University Of Minnesota.. However he does deserve a chance to turn things around due to the fact that he has a couple of rings that he puts on every morning. But it is not exeptable for the gophers to not make the tournament.. Thats awful coaching or recruiting. Which ever one it is it needs to be fixed.. Go out of state pick up some good players from other places outside of minnesota. Its not going to ruin your reputation because you didnt get enough kids from minnesota, but what will ruin your rep is not making the tourney.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Ilovethe212 wrote:I think that Don Lucias days should be limited at the University Of Minnesota.. However he does deserve a chance to turn things around due to the fact that he has a couple of rings that he puts on every morning. But it is not exeptable for the gophers to not make the tournament.. Thats awful coaching or recruiting. Which ever one it is it needs to be fixed.. Go out of state pick up some good players from other places outside of minnesota. Its not going to ruin your reputation because you didnt get enough kids from minnesota, but what will ruin your rep is not making the tourney.
Lucia has recruited out of state (and out of the United States) in the past. In fact, this years team began with two non-Minnesotan's.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect ... PSID=38856
Youngblood10

Post by Youngblood10 »

Lucia made Guentzel his scapegoat last year, which bought him a little more time. I'd say if they don't make a good run over the next two years we will see Dean Blais on the bench for the maroon and gold.
Ilovethe212

Post by Ilovethe212 »

wbmd wrote:
Ilovethe212 wrote:I think that Don Lucias days should be limited at the University Of Minnesota.. However he does deserve a chance to turn things around due to the fact that he has a couple of rings that he puts on every morning. But it is not exeptable for the gophers to not make the tournament.. Thats awful coaching or recruiting. Which ever one it is it needs to be fixed.. Go out of state pick up some good players from other places outside of minnesota. Its not going to ruin your reputation because you didnt get enough kids from minnesota, but what will ruin your rep is not making the tourney.
Lucia has recruited out of state (and out of the United States) in the past. In fact, this years team began with two non-Minnesotan's.

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect ... PSID=38856
It says pick up some good players from other places outside of minnesota.. Not the two we have.. We can get players as good as them here in Minnesota... Not that there not quality hockey players, but there not Thomas Vaneks or Potulneys.
DMan-dad

Post by DMan-dad »

Ilovethe212 wrote:But it is not exeptable for the gophers to not make the tournament..
Why is it not "acceptable" for the Gophers to not make the tourney? There are a lot of hockey fans in this state who are celebrating the fact that the Gophers are OUT! Why should they get their pick of the recruits every year? May the best teams play on, and I think other smaller schools are figuring out what it takes to beat the Gophers - recruit guys who will stay 3-4 years (see MacGregor Sharp) and not the 1-2 year prima donnas.

Give Lucia another chance. It's better for us!

Go Dogs!