Nick Leddy traded to Blackhawks

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lakeviewing

Re: Leddy Trade

Post by Lakeviewing »

A PR move- development? Leddy is only a freshman that is playing on the first line defenseman and is playing with an average senior player in Fischer who is tying to over play his ability. With the change in the Wilds system of play, Leddy would have been a perfict pick here. An up tempo and skilled defensive man leading a rush offensively here and still playing a solid defense. The new Wild change in offensive has their defense up in offensive opportunities. Come on, half of the Wild defensemen are not offensive players that are willing to jump up into the play, like Leddy. The Wild has lost a lot of offensive pressure by trading Leddy. Leddy with exceed here. He will be given a lot of opportunities to rush the puck and jump up into the play in this Chicago system. This is a good trade for the Hawks, in getting an offensive- defenseman in Leddy. Look for Leddy to leave the U of M next year and start for the Hawks the next year. Personally, the Wild has traded away there best future offensive player here. Leddy will benefit here. Thanks Wild for trading away the future.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
Lakeviewing wrote:I agree, the Wild 1st pick should have been Schroeder, they need young forward and scoring talent, rather than a freshman defensiveman in Leddy playing at the U of M system. As for Leddy, he should like the change to Chicago trade and get hell out of the U of M system and the Wild/Houston program. Right now, the Wild and their farm team are re-building. Chicago, is a talented team with Kane and Towes. Leddy is a better fit here. I look for Leddy to lead this defensive team here in the future.
ALSECORD wrote:Schroeder would have been a good pick. Yes, but the fact still remains he's still at the U too. I'm not so sure his development hasn't suffered as well. Not sure why. Is it coaching? Lack of talent around him? Is he playing with as much passion as in the past? Has he peaked?
All good questions. I still think he would have been much better off in Canada as well.
Sorry but the Wild traded down and took Leddy. Schroeder was passed on 5 more times before the Canucks grabbed him. At 5' 8" Schroeder had the size or lack of to slide more. Leddy was drafted as a PR move to appease a few vocal fans. They should stick to drafting the best player available.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

DubCHAGuy wrote:Kovalchuck is a free agent this summer, thats why he went for nothing. You'd have to have very very high expectations for Leddy to call this a bad trade for the Wild.

Kovalchuk not costing very much is the exact reason you go after him. We're trying to make a push for the 8 seed for christ sake, make moves to make a run, don't fold your tents. Besides, what type of free agent to be wouldn't want to play for a team who sells out every night? Throw some money at him and you get him for the prime of his career for basically nothing.

With regards to Leddy, shouldn't a first round pick from your own state garner very high expectations? Why draft him in the first place? Obviously our new regime wanted to get started on the right foot politically by using their hearts instead of their brains and have since changed their minds for reasons we can only speculate. :idea:
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

schwang17 wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:Kovalchuck is a free agent this summer, thats why he went for nothing. You'd have to have very very high expectations for Leddy to call this a bad trade for the Wild.

Kovalchuk not costing very much is the exact reason you go after him. We're trying to make a push for the 8 seed for christ sake, make moves to make a run, don't fold your tents. Besides, what type of free agent to be wouldn't want to play for a team who sells out every night? Throw some money at him and you get him for the prime of his career for basically nothing.

With regards to Leddy, shouldn't a first round pick from your own state garner very high expectations? Why draft him in the first place? Obviously our new regime wanted to get started on the right foot politically by using their hearts instead of their brains and have since changed their minds for reasons we can only speculate. :idea:

The type that have been free agents for the last 4-5 years (Havlat being the exception). Kovalchuk will most likely be a rent-a-player in NJ, so we could still throw all that money at him this summer, although we'd have to let some of our free agents go (Nolan, Belanger, Zidlicky, most notably) since we are up against the salary cap already.

I hope Leddy makes it big, just like with any local player. But I still think this was a good trade for the Wild.
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

Leddy was over rated and he still is. Look at his year at the U thus far. Sure he's been injured for a bit but he wasn't doing much before and hasn't done much since. Thank God the Wild traded him, they got away before he could be fully exposed. Leddy is a great skater, no one could dispute that fact, but that is where it ends. He has so-so vision, and he is suspect defensively.

On top of that you send him to the U to play on that big sheet of ice and a Guentzel-less Gopher staff. Who's teaching him anything? I'm surprised that Garth Snow let Schroeder come back after Christmas to be honest. The Goph's need a change, well actually they need two changes...First, they should convert Mariucci into a standard north american rink. Second, they need change on the coaching staff, might not be getting rid of Donny Lu, but maybe force him to get Hill out of there. Hill is a bafoon, and in my opinion, he is an embarrassment to the program. Although, DL will most likely have to go to get rid of Hill.

Bottom Line, great trade for the Wild, got rid of a mediocre, overpriced, soft Euro-defenseman and a future Blaine Mens' League Champion for a tough, young, hard-nosed Canadian Defenseman who IMO, will someday win a Norris Trophy.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
breakout

Post by breakout »

wannagototherink wrote:Leddy was over rated and he still is. Look at his year at the U thus far. Sure he's been injured for a bit but he wasn't doing much before and hasn't done much since. Thank God the Wild traded him, they got away before he could be fully exposed. Leddy is a great skater, no one could dispute that fact, but that is where it ends. He has so-so vision, and he is suspect defensively.

On top of that you send him to the U to play on that big sheet of ice and a Guentzel-less Gopher staff. Who's teaching him anything? I'm surprised that Garth Snow let Schroeder come back after Christmas to be honest. The Goph's need a change, well actually they need two changes...First, they should convert Mariucci into a standard north american rink. Second, they need change on the coaching staff, might not be getting rid of Donny Lu, but maybe force him to get Hill out of there. Hill is a bafoon, and in my opinion, he is an embarrassment to the program. Although, DL will most likely have to go to get rid of Hill.

Bottom Line, great trade for the Wild, got rid of a mediocre, overpriced, soft Euro-defenseman and a future Blaine Mens' League Champion for a tough, young, hard-nosed Canadian Defenseman who IMO, will someday win a Norris Trophy.
You are really up on your hockey :P

Garth Snow? He is the G.M. for the Islanders and has nothing to do with Jordan Schroeder who was drafted # 22 overall by Canucks. :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Snow

FYI, Blackhawk thought

Leddy, 18, was the 16th overall selection in the '09 draft. The defenseman has a goal and four assists in 19 games as a freshman at the University of Minnesota.

"He was a big part of the deal," Bowman said. "We've been very high on him since last year when we were trying to trade up to get him in the draft. His speed is something that has been talked about quite a bit. He just plays the style we play here. We have that puck-possession game and he can really skate. He had to be in the mix for this to work."

You may have heard of Bowman (doubt it). I hear his dad is a pretty good hockey guy.
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

breakout wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:Leddy was over rated and he still is. Look at his year at the U thus far. Sure he's been injured for a bit but he wasn't doing much before and hasn't done much since. Thank God the Wild traded him, they got away before he could be fully exposed. Leddy is a great skater, no one could dispute that fact, but that is where it ends. He has so-so vision, and he is suspect defensively.

You are really up on your hockey :P

Garth Snow? He is the G.M. for the Islanders and has nothing to do with Jordan Schroeder who was drafted # 22 overall by Canucks. :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Snow

FYI, Blackhawk thought

Leddy, 18, was the 16th overall selection in the '09 draft. The defenseman has a goal and four assists in 19 games as a freshman at the University of Minnesota.

"He was a big part of the deal," Bowman said. "We've been very high on him since last year when we were trying to trade up to get him in the draft. His speed is something that has been talked about quite a bit. He just plays the style we play here. We have that puck-possession game and he can really skate. He had to be in the mix for this to work."

You may have heard of Bowman (doubt it). I hear his dad is a pretty good hockey guy.

You're right, my mistake, I meant I was surprised Snow let Ness come back after Christmas. My Bad!
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Lakeviewing wrote:A PR move- development? Leddy is only a freshman that is playing on the first line defenseman and is playing with an average senior player in Fischer who is tying to over play his ability. With the change in the Wilds system of play, Leddy would have been a perfict pick here. An up tempo and skilled defensive man leading a rush offensively here and still playing a solid defense. The new Wild change in offensive has their defense up in offensive opportunities. Come on, half of the Wild defensemen are not offensive players that are willing to jump up into the play, like Leddy. The Wild has lost a lot of offensive pressure by trading Leddy. Leddy with exceed here. He will be given a lot of opportunities to rush the puck and jump up into the play in this Chicago system. This is a good trade for the Hawks, in getting an offensive- defenseman in Leddy. Look for Leddy to leave the U of M next year and start for the Hawks the next year. Personally, the Wild has traded away there best future offensive player here. Leddy will benefit here. Thanks Wild for trading away the future.
Lakeviewing wrote:I agree, the Wild 1st pick should have been Schroeder, they need young forward and scoring talent, rather than a freshman defensiveman in Leddy playing at the U of M system. As for Leddy, he should like the change to Chicago trade and get hell out of the U of M system and the Wild/Houston program. Right now, the Wild and their farm team are re-building. Chicago, is a talented team with Kane and Towes. Leddy is a better fit here. I look for Leddy to lead this defensive team here in the future.
Sorry but the Wild traded down and took Leddy. Schroeder was passed on 5 more times before the Canucks grabbed him. At 5' 8" Schroeder had the size or lack of to slide more. Leddy was drafted as a PR move to appease a few vocal fans. They should stick to drafting the best player available.
You really need to take the homer glasses off. Eden Praire the 2 seed on another thread. Leddy the future of the Wild. Like I said VOCAL fans were clamouring for a local kid to be picked, regardless of how good they were. Schroeder is small (and no Patrick Kane) so they took Leddy. Forget about Bowmans quote being so high on Leddy. The Wild had to throw in someone since Johnsson's contract is up and Barker has a ton of untapped potential. For the Hawks this was a 100% salary cap move and if Leddy ever plays it will be a bonus for them.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Lakeviewing wrote:A PR move- development? Leddy is only a freshman that is playing on the first line defenseman and is playing with an average senior player in Fischer who is tying to over play his ability. With the change in the Wilds system of play, Leddy would have been a perfict pick here. An up tempo and skilled defensive man leading a rush offensively here and still playing a solid defense. The new Wild change in offensive has their defense up in offensive opportunities. Come on, half of the Wild defensemen are not offensive players that are willing to jump up into the play, like Leddy. The Wild has lost a lot of offensive pressure by trading Leddy. Leddy with exceed here. He will be given a lot of opportunities to rush the puck and jump up into the play in this Chicago system. This is a good trade for the Hawks, in getting an offensive- defenseman in Leddy. Look for Leddy to leave the U of M next year and start for the Hawks the next year. Personally, the Wild has traded away there best future offensive player here. Leddy will benefit here. Thanks Wild for trading away the future.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Sorry but the Wild traded down and took Leddy. Schroeder was passed on 5 more times before the Canucks grabbed him. At 5' 8" Schroeder had the size or lack of to slide more. Leddy was drafted as a PR move to appease a few vocal fans. They should stick to drafting the best player available.
You really need to take the homer glasses off. Eden Praire the 2 seed on another thread. Leddy the future of the Wild. Like I said VOCAL fans were clamouring for a local kid to be picked, regardless of how good they were. Schroeder is small (and no Patrick Kane) so they took Leddy. Forget about Bowmans quote being so high on Leddy. The Wild had to throw in someone since Johnsson's contract is up and Barker has a ton of untapped potential. For the Hawks this was a 100% salary cap move and if Leddy ever plays it will be a bonus for them.
Not sure who you actually played for, or if you played. Your opinion is just like everyone else. It's just an opinion.

It's interesting when you read TSN (Canada version of ESPN) & Chicago news about the trade. Out of curiosity I went to nhl.com to watch Chicago G.M. Stan Bowman's press conference.

For those that are interested, here it its:

http://blackhawks.nhl.tv/team/console.j ... 0&id=60286
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

breakout wrote:
Not sure who you actually played for, or if you played. Your opinion is just like everyone else. It's just an opinion.

It's interesting when you read TSN (Canada version of ESPN) & Chicago news about the trade. Out of curiosity I went to nhl.com to watch Chicago G.M. Stan Bowman's press conference.

Check out what Mike Russo had to say, too. He's the beat writer for the Strib, but I'm sure you knew that. He's one of the best in the league.
HOUNDS
Toews is god 19

Post by Toews is god 19 »

schwang17 wrote:Barker is by far the B-hawks worst defenseman(I know they have a solid group). How he was the #3 overall pick is beyond me. I personally watched him in Chicago the past few years and he is not at all a good D-man. Johnnson is overpaid, but we are only getting worse at that position with this move.

Incorrect. Barker was in the second pair of defensemen with campbell. great solid young player. Great move by the wild. not so happy for my hawks :(
breakout

Post by breakout »

Lucia4President wrote:
breakout wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:You really need to take the homer glasses off. Eden Praire the 2 seed on another thread. Leddy the future of the Wild. Like I said VOCAL fans were clamouring for a local kid to be picked, regardless of how good they were. Schroeder is small (and no Patrick Kane) so they took Leddy. Forget about Bowmans quote being so high on Leddy. The Wild had to throw in someone since Johnsson's contract is up and Barker has a ton of untapped potential. For the Hawks this was a 100% salary cap move and if Leddy ever plays it will be a bonus for them.

Check out what Mike Russo had to say, too. He's the beat writer for the Strib, but I'm sure you knew that. He's one of the best in the league.
He talks to Fletcher, correct? This is what he had to say via Russo:

"Obviously Nick Leddy wasn't our first choice to put in the deal, but that's who they wanted," Wild GM Chuck Fletcher told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "To acquire Cam, we had to make a difficult decision, and we traded our top minute-getter on the team and one of our top prospects. We paid a significant price, but we feel the return will be worth it."

Good luck to all!
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Leddy starting for the Hawks in 2 years?

BOLD
The U invented swagger.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Sorry but the Wild traded down and took Leddy. Schroeder was passed on 5 more times before the Canucks grabbed him. At 5' 8" Schroeder had the size or lack of to slide more. Leddy was drafted as a PR move to appease a few vocal fans. They should stick to drafting the best player available.
Leddy starting for the Hawks in 2 years?

BOLD
Girl friend?
HSpuckguy

wannagototherink - maybe you should go to the rink

Post by HSpuckguy »

wannagototherink - just curious why you think that Nick Leddy was/is overated? He won the Mr. Hockey Award last year, he's easily the best dman for the gophers this year, which as a true freshman is pretty impressive. Sure he didn't have many points prior to missing nine games, but no one else did as well. The gophs only scored 2 goals in the first four games. Since Leddy has returned to the line up (1st line btw) after missing 1/3 of the season, other than the 1st game back (a bit tentative), he's been very solid. He's put up 8 points in his last 12 games, and he leads the team in plus/minus at a +10. Just wondering if maybe he walked around you last year like you were standing still, or maybe you're a scorned JS fan because Leddy was taken higher?! BTW, JS is a very talented player, he should have a nice NHL career, but there's a reason 5 other teams passed on him after the Wild. The one intelligent point you did make was about Guentzel. We'll see how this trade pans out in the future, but I'm looking forward to a Minnesota kid bringing back the Stanley cup for the rest of us to look at.