UND retires Sioux logo

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

clutterbuck22

UND retires Sioux logo

Post by clutterbuck22 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm

UND has decided to retire the Sioux logo and come up with a new nickname for next season. Any ideas on what it might be? Also, wonder why it's such a big deal that college teams have different names other than indians?

Thehockeyplaya

Post by Thehockeyplaya » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 pm

I wonder what's going to happen to the Ralph now

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:35 am

What a joke!!!! that sucks.

mnorth5

Re: UND retires Sioux logo

Post by mnorth5 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

clutterbuck22 wrote:UND has decided to retire the Sioux logo and come up with a new nickname for next season.

The Sioux will have to change after the 2012 season.

Now that the Politicians have there way, maybe Peta will have the Gophers drop there name.

What a joke.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Thehockeyplaya wrote:I wonder what's going to happen to the Ralph now
Nothing according to the GF Herald.

They will be the Fighting Sioux for one more season. Sources are saying that they may be without a nickname for many years. I anticipate they will really celebrate the Sioux name and pay tribute next season.

No Political Connections

Post by No Political Connections » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 am

I want to get ahead of the curve here and say that all school mascots need to be Greek letters. The U of M Thetas, the UND Alpha, etc. Of course the Turks don't like the Greeks so Greek letters will be offensive to the Turks so that won't work either. Colors? The U of M yellows, the UND greens, the UMD reds. Of course that would make color blind people feel bad so that won't work either.................

I could honestly say that I could understand the drive to get rid of a name or mascot if it was an impolite portrayal of somebody. I do seriously think that the Univ of Notre Dame is next. I do not see why you would get rid of a mascot that basically honors a group of people. From what I know the Sioux were a very honorable, tough bunch of fighters that you did not want to run into unless you had some serious numbers on your side. If they were portrayed negatively or if they mascot was some sort of sad sack stick figure who was a joke, I could see that. I could also see it if they were running down the Sioux people in general. From what I can see of the UND mascot it is none of those things.

I think this drive to political correctness is a joke.

This name change is a joke.

I hope they lose The Ralph due to their lack of back bone. If I was an heir of his I would have the place demolished rather than give it to a bunch of cowards like that. It is a beautiful place and a great place to see a hockey game and it would be missed.

Where does the line get drawn? How far down this road to becoming a bunch of pansies who cave to the first group of people who want to be offended do we go? Until we speak Chinese?

Arrrrrrggggggggggggg

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 am

I don't think UND caved in, the NCAA is the driving force. UND has taken it as far as possible and probably doesn't want to continue paying for something they cannot win. Some schools still use an indian mascot, if it's so bad, why doesn't the NCAA make all schools drop them. Maybe the NCAA can put out a list of names and mascots that they will approve.

No Political Connections

Post by No Political Connections » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

You can see the "approved list" now.

No animals, PETA will be offended.
No Rebels, Tar Heals, etc. Too southern and that is bad.
Blue Devils??????? Where do I start that list?
No religious names at all, no Saints, etc. The Satan worshipers will be offended.
Purdue Boilermakers????? A boiler maker is a drink made out of beer. The alcohol challenged people will suffer for sure, off the list.
Hoosier????? Sounds like an evil, land stealing, white guy. Gone.
Beavers????? They destroy trees which increases global warming. Do we want to celebrate an animal that is working against us when it comes to stopping global warming???? Gone.
Maverick?? Double whammy, an animal (see PETA) and has long threatening looking horns......... shiver....... way too scary. gone.

The list can go on and on. Where do I sign up to be on the NCAA list committee? I feel offended quite often and instead of growing up and realizing that I am not the center of the world, that it is not everybody's job to make me feel special and loved I think I will just get on the committee and fix all of the wrongs in the world by changing all of the school names to something safe and non-offensive.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Notre Dame Fighting Irish.... I'm pissed off and offended!

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

As much as I don't like the Sue, I hate to see the tradition end. Ralph must be rolling around in his grave.

Purehockey

Post by Purehockey » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 pm

They should just call them the warriors and then they can leave there logo the same..

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Purehockey wrote:They should just call them the warriors and then they can leave there logo the same..
It's not just the name the NCAA has had an issue with. It's the imagery as well. So your idea wouldn't wash.

BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

You dont see too many folks complaining about the Blackhawks. The NCAA is such a joke, the only go after schools they can push around. Schools like USC and Michigan have the resources to make the NCAA kiss their tails.

defense

Post by defense » Fri May 21, 2010 9:38 pm

I heard the talk when this happened. I kinda think that a new mascot will be unveiled, however...... the next most likely thing is the University of North Dakota has no offical mascot. Their jerseys have the ND logo. The fans though...that's a different story, can the NCAA make the fans not call them the Sioux??? probably not. think about it. What is a knickname??? Just let them be the University of North Dakota, and everyone else can decide what to call them. In the Military, different units have adopted nicknames based on what their enemies said about them..... I'm sure "Slammin Sammy", "Ole the Goalie", "Black Jack" , "the Rocket", "the Express" ....weren't nicknames that the actual athletes came up with.....
On the news side, the Spirit Lake reservation was trying to go to court to have them keep the name. The problem was and still is the Standing Rock reservation leadership....very corrupt as it sounds. Most agree that the powers that be who decided this did NOT let the thing play out. Given what has been said, there was more time.

Oh well....maybe now the Gophers can beat them..