LPH article on Gopher Program

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

What do the Gophers need to do to have the Don stick around?

Earn home ice for WCHA playoffs
No votes
Play in the WCHA Finals at the X
20%
Earn a bid to NCAA
80%

Total votes: 15

blueblood

LPH article on Gopher Program

Post by blueblood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am

This article should have been published months ago. This is all old news.
Everyone knows the prgram must show BIG improvement this year.

How about LPH draft an article with a basis on what to look forward to this year at Mariucci instead of trying to state something that everyone already knows about.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Play Like a Champion Today

clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm

I agree with you. I said earn a spot in the NCAA playoffs. If they don't do that this year I think it's a lost cause. Who do you think replaces LUCIA next year if they get fired. Any chance Grant Potulny takes the job or are they going to get a more experienced guy to try and turn this program around?

Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:28 am

DEAN BLAIS :!: :!: :!:

WildFan05

Post by WildFan05 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:34 pm

The only out written in Dean Blais' conract at UN-O is to come up and coach the Gophers.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 am

WildFan05 wrote:The only out written in Dean Blais' conract at UN-O is to come up and coach the Gophers.
That's awesome if it's true. But is it true?
The U invented swagger.

blueblood

2010-11 Season

Post by blueblood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:38 am

How about we give the Don a couple months b4 we cast him aside. I for one am very opptimistic about this season:

6 home games to start
No Alaska trip
No Denver trip
No back to back weekends out of town

I will be the first to call for the Don to depart if the season appears lost by the X-mas break
Last edited by blueblood on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Like a Champion Today

Bill Coleman

Post by Bill Coleman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 pm

What about Kevin Hartzell? He's a hell of a coach, put in his time in the USHL and an ex-gopher captain I believe.

WildFan05

Post by WildFan05 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:06 pm

I agree we should give Don some time to prove to us that he's here to win and keep building this program. Also, just because Dean Blais' contract states that doesn't mean I want to see him behind Minnesota's bench yet... I like Don and what he's done for us. Some might argue that at least the first of the National Championship teams was Woog's team, but one way or another it was a Championship that MINNESOTA brought home.

ALSANITI

Post by ALSANITI » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:44 pm

It is hard to say this is all the Don's fault with the allure of the NHL taking away so many from our ranks. But, ultimately, the standards are high and if he does not meet them, he will surly be replaced.

As for replacements, I have had the privilege of watching Kevin Hartzell for the last five seasons and boy am I impressed. He has all the tools. He gets the right guys, great personality, deals with the media well (albeit small town media), and seems to have a great grasp of todays's hockey player.

Bill Coleman

Hartzell

Post by Bill Coleman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 am

I played for Hartzell in the mid eighties. He's a great coach. Sticks up for his players. Challenges them. If a team emulates its coach then he would bring grit to his team for sure. He reminds me of Hackstall a bit.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:52 pm

How about Paul Newman [maybe he could get the Hanson bro's]

BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:24 pm

No reason Minnesota should finish in the bottom half of the conference three years in a row. What about Guentzel? Things seemed to slide after he left.

WildFan05

Post by WildFan05 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Guentzel is not going to coach in Minnesota. Dean Blais would be the first person contacted if in fact we get rid of Lucia. We're three games into the season and we're 2-1-0 give it a rest. WE'VE LOST ONE GAME! I really don't think that's enough to start considering a coaching change this early in the season. Last year is history and so is last night, so why don't we all take our fingers off the blame trigger for a little bit here.

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Brewster is taking alot of pressure off Lucia right now. As soon as Brewster gets fired in December, Lucia will be under the lights. It's only a matter of time.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 pm

WildFan05 wrote:We're three games into the season and we're 2-1-0 give it a rest. WE'VE LOST ONE GAME!
I know you posted this before tonight's game, but the Gophers are now 0-2 in the league - obviously not a good start.
WildFan05 wrote:I really don't think that's enough to start considering a coaching change this early in the season. Last year is history and so is last night, so why don't we all take our fingers off the blame trigger for a little bit here.
Agree that it's too early this season to have our fingers on the blame trigger, but bear in mind the Gophers have seriously underperformed the past two years, failing to make the 16 team NCAA tourney. During the past three seasons they are barely over .500 overall, at 54-49-18, and are under .500 in league play, at 33-37-14. Given our proud Gopher history and recruiting advantages, fans (me included) expect better, and we're getting restless. Lucia will definitely need to turn things around, IMO, if he hopes to remain coach in 2011-12.

WildFan05

Post by WildFan05 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Very true. I'm not trying to take away from the fact that we NEED to win. We've got a talented young group who seem to be enjoying the opportunity to play with each other. Right now our biggest problem is that we're not playing a full 60 min and for us to be successful we can't give teams like UNO a gigantic lead and expect to make a comeback every night. It's too early to start finding people to blame and to start getting down about our season, BUT we're the MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS and we better start acting like it on the ice. We ALWAYS have something to prove because of who we are. If we don't get to the show this year it will most likely be Lucia's last year. It would have to be for the programs sake.

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:36 pm

WildFan05 wrote:Very true. I'm not trying to take away from the fact that we NEED to win. We've got a talented young group who seem to be enjoying the opportunity to play with each other. Right now our biggest problem is that we're not playing a full 60 min and for us to be successful we can't give teams like UNO a gigantic lead and expect to make a comeback every night. It's too early to start finding people to blame and to start getting down about our season, BUT we're the MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS and we better start acting like it on the ice. We ALWAYS have something to prove because of who we are. If we don't get to the show this year it will most likely be Lucia's last year. It would have to be for the programs sake.
What number are you?