One step closer to Big Ten Hockey Conference

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JSR

Post by JSR » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:28 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:MNHockeyFan
the CCHA they will have Notre Dame as one of their strong anchors once the Big Ten gets going

...and until Notre Dame joins the Big Ten in Hockey... and Football... :wink:
Possibly, but I don't believe the Big Ten is going to make an exception for any school to play in their conference for just a single sport. In the near future it will be all sports or none (i.e. if you have a D1 team in any given sport you will play in the Big Ten). At Notre Dame football rules the roost, and they have an extremely profitable setup right now.
So true.

The Fighting Irish will not be joining the Big Ten in football ever. They make a lot of $$ being televised by NBC. They will remain independent to get that green.

8)
ND will will join the year after their current NBC contract expires as it is highly unlikely that NBC will renew that contract for another term. Also, currently that NBC deal pays them roughly $15 million per season, currently every Big Ten school makes roughly $22 millionper season just from the BTN. Those numbers and the BCS will likely force ND into a conference and the only conference that makes sense is the Big Ten and while the BTHC does not factor in alot it does factor in some as ND puts more into their hockey program. Football still rules and likely always will but this is yet another carrot for them. I feel like their current NBC deal expires in 2014 (not sure but I think so) look for ND to join the Big Ten in 2015

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Don't need them for hockey!! Might be part of the big picture. $$$$$$$$$

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am

JSR wrote:And what is seriously funny is your use of "pure speculation" once again on a subject that is not speculative at all. The facilities and money being put up by PSU donors and the school itself combined with the committment of a BTHC now mean that PSU IS committed to hockey. It is not speculation it's fact, geez.
Regardless of how "committed" you believe PSU will be (still speculation, unless you judge commitment on a narrow scale), that does not necessarily translate into competitive success.
Since you are so dead sure of the future, Nostradamus, please enlighten the hockey public as to the timetable for the Big 10 hockey conference overtaking the WCHA on a competitive level.
Oh and since Notre Dame was rejected as a comparison to PSU (for poor reasons), perhaps you'd like another? Ohio State. One frozen four appearance in decades of D1 hockey. There is no reason to believe PSU is going to make any more of a splash than that. :roll:

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

The big question is, how long will it take for PSU to have a better team than the gophers?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 pm

mulefarm wrote:The big question is, how long will it take for PSU to have a better team than the gophers?
I think the big question will be... how many season ticket holders will renew next year with the added PRIORITY SEATING price tag? It might be an empty Mariucci next year!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:32 pm

BodyShots wrote:
mulefarm wrote:The big question is, how long will it take for PSU to have a better team than the gophers?
I think the big question will be... how many season ticket holders will renew next year with the added PRIORITY SEATING price tag? It might be an empty Mariucci next year!
Priority seating for hockey does not go into effect until 2012-13.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:30 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote:And what is seriously funny is your use of "pure speculation" once again on a subject that is not speculative at all. The facilities and money being put up by PSU donors and the school itself combined with the committment of a BTHC now mean that PSU IS committed to hockey. It is not speculation it's fact, geez.
Regardless of how "committed" you believe PSU will be (still speculation, unless you judge commitment on a narrow scale), that does not necessarily translate into competitive success.
Since you are so dead sure of the future, Nostradamus, please enlighten the hockey public as to the timetable for the Big 10 hockey conference overtaking the WCHA on a competitive level.
Oh and since Notre Dame was rejected as a comparison to PSU (for poor reasons), perhaps you'd like another? Ohio State. One frozen four appearance in decades of D1 hockey. There is no reason to believe PSU is going to make any more of a splash than that. :roll:
No I just think you judge committment on too broad of a scale.

As for competitive success by your definition over half the WCHA is not competitive. You keep tooting the horn of the WCHA but show me the results of Alaska or UNO. Michigan Tech was good, what 50 years ago, but show me recent success that makes you believe PSU won't outdo them in short order. We all know UND and Denver have strong traditions and CC is alright as well but come on. UMD, UM-Mankato, Bemidji, UNO, and St. Cloud have combined for ZERO NCAA Titiles in their history. Success in the NCAA tournament is indicative of committment to a program. Is WIsconsin not committed to football, I mean they haven't won an NCAA title since 1941 (and that one doesn't even count in some circles), is Minnesota not committed to basketball I mean where are all their championship banners especially as of late?? tOSU is better than several WCHA team and as good as several others. The new Big Ten Hockey conference will have some heavy weights up top in MI, WI and MN, they'll have some middle of the road in tOSU and MSU and they'll have one up and comer in PSU that will probably struggle in their first few seasons but honestly will they be any worse than MI Tech?

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:58 am

JSR wrote: No I just think you judge committment on too broad of a scale.

As for competitive success by your definition over half the WCHA is not competitive. You keep tooting the horn of the WCHA but show me the results of Alaska or UNO. Michigan Tech was good, what 50 years ago, but show me recent success that makes you believe PSU won't outdo them in short order. We all know UND and Denver have strong traditions and CC is alright as well but come on. UMD, UM-Mankato, Bemidji, UNO, and St. Cloud have combined for ZERO NCAA Titiles in their history. Success in the NCAA tournament is indicative of committment to a program. Is WIsconsin not committed to football, I mean they haven't won an NCAA title since 1941 (and that one doesn't even count in some circles), is Minnesota not committed to basketball I mean where are all their championship banners especially as of late?? tOSU is better than several WCHA team and as good as several others. The new Big Ten Hockey conference will have some heavy weights up top in MI, WI and MN, they'll have some middle of the road in tOSU and MSU and they'll have one up and comer in PSU that will probably struggle in their first few seasons but honestly will they be any worse than MI Tech?
First, Michigan Tech has three national titles.
Taking Minnesota and Wisconsin out of play, the WCHA accounts for a total of 19 NCAA titles, and 16 second place finishes.
Michigan, Michigan State, OSU (The new "other" teams in the BIG 10 Hockey Conference) account for 12 titles and 4 second place finishes.
Eight of those titles were 1966 or prior, six were 1956 or prior.
OSU has been a non-factor entirely, as will Penn State. Michigan has some history, but most of it is ancient. Michigan State pops up every now and then.
"...will they (PSU) be any worse than MI Tech?" Let's see. OSU has 1 Frozen Four appearance. Michigan Tech: 10. How much bigger of a school is OSU or PSU than Michigan Tech? How much more could such schools "commit" to the hockey program? Sure, a ton. Does that guarantee success? Obviously not.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:15 am

You keep talking about Michigan Tech like they are some kind of "God" hockey team, they have not been relevant for 30 years... :roll:

Last McNaughton Cup - 1976 :shock:
1976 Michigan Tech University* – WCHA

Last Frozen Four - 1981 :shock:
Tech took 3rd behind two Big Ten teams - Sconny & Gophers... :shock:

To back up WCHA strength, please refrain from using Tech, and concentrate on NoDak, CC, UMD & Denver... :P

WCHA will still be strong, but the new Big Ten conference could take the luster away from WCHA to highly recruited MN high school juniors and seniors... Minnesota & Wisconsin should see more Minnesota kids consider going to a Big Ten school for visibility, strength of schedule, and strength of education and curriculum available... The high end kids probably don't care about the education, and have their sights on the NHL, but many do care about the education too...

Please, I know that CC, Denver, North Dakota and UMD are good schools, my kid will be going to UMD next year, great school for her, but for national prominence of school, Big Ten is very strong...

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:28 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:You keep talking about Michigan Tech like they are some kind of "God" hockey team, they have not been relevant for 30 years... :roll:

Last McNaughton Cup - 1976 :shock:
1976 Michigan Tech University* – WCHA

Last Frozen Four - 1981 :shock:
Tech took 3rd behind two Big Ten teams - Sconny & Gophers... :shock:

To back up WCHA strength, please refrain from using Tech, and concentrate on NoDak, CC, UMD & Denver... :P
Sorry. JSR started the Michigan Tech references. I was merely showing that OSU was no more significant than Michigan Tech. (and that PSU probably will follow suit.)
Absolutely North Dakota, CC, UMD, and Denver are great examples of the kind of quality program that yearly represents the WCHA, and provides great competition for the Gophers and Wisconsin. Moving to a conference that substitutes the likes of OSU, PSU and Michigan State, instead, is an obvious degredation of quality.
BUt, as long as the money is better, that makes perfect sense, right? :shock:

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Way out west...

Actually according to the post you brought up tech winning three titles and JSR was ripping them for being good, what 50 years ago.

Also...in case you havent figured it out yet, but all ncaa sports are based on money. The Big Ten will be a top conference in due time because of the size of schools, and the money that the conference will generate from tv.

Also...look closer into ohio state, because i have seen a recruiting list and they were in the top 5 for their recruiting class next season.

As for the unanimous decision to go into the conferece...I am pretty sure that is the presidents and athletic directors. I have a feeling the coaches and players would probably love to stay in the wcha. However, they dont make the decisions...do they?

Lastly...all those gopher haters out there. Kind of interesting the Gophers beat 3 of the 4 teams in the Frozen Four this season. Their record was 3-2-2 against those teams, which shows the gophers arent far off. If Ness is the only player they lose then I look for the gophers to have a solid team next season. Holl and Alt are superstars in the making.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:39 am

Tigers33 wrote:Way out west...

Actually according to the post you brought up tech winning three titles and JSR was ripping them for being good, what 50 years ago.

Also...in case you havent figured it out yet, but all ncaa sports are based on money. The Big Ten will be a top conference in due time because of the size of schools, and the money that the conference will generate from tv.

Also...look closer into ohio state, because i have seen a recruiting list and they were in the top 5 for their recruiting class next season.

As for the unanimous decision to go into the conferece...I am pretty sure that is the presidents and athletic directors. I have a feeling the coaches and players would probably love to stay in the wcha. However, they dont make the decisions...do they?

Lastly...all those gopher haters out there. Kind of interesting the Gophers beat 3 of the 4 teams in the Frozen Four this season. Their record was 3-2-2 against those teams, which shows the gophers arent far off. If Ness is the only player they lose then I look for the gophers to have a solid team next season. Holl and Alt are superstars in the making.
Actually, you're incorrect. Read the posts in chronological order and you will see that JSR first mentions Tech.
Regardless, if JSR is trying to hold up Tech as a good representation of the WCHA, so be it. That just speaks to the strength(?) of his line of argumentation. Even being a cellar-dweller in the WCHA, Tech will be kicking PSU's tail in hockey, for some time.
And this is a bit of a leap: "The Big Ten will be a top conference in due time because of the size of schools"
OSU and Notre Dame have been good sized, powerful, rich schools for some time. The hockey programs............marginal at best.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:12 am

Tigers33 wrote:
You are neglecting to recognize the important seniors that are leaving:
Fairchild, Wehrs, Barriball, Cepis, Hoeffel, White. There is some decent talent, there, that needs backfilling, particularly on the scoring front.

upnorthockey

Post by upnorthockey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 am

WayOutWest wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:
Fairchild, Wehrs, Barriball, Cepis, Hoeffel, White. There is some decent talent, there, that needs backfilling, particularly on the scoring front.
Lucia has lots of talent every year and many superstars that are "in the making". The smart one's, like Ness, realize that the Gopher program isn't the best avenue to becoming a superstar and they leave. Lucia's can't produce with the talent he has. It's interesting how very few Sioux players leave early. IMO the Gopher's need a new recruiting strategy and a new coach!

upnorthockey

Post by upnorthockey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 am

WayOutWest wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:
Lucia has lots of talent every year and many superstars that are "in the making". The smart one's, like Ness, realize that the Gopher program isn't the best avenue to becoming a superstar and they leave. Lucia's can't produce with the talent he has. It's interesting how very few Sioux players leave early. IMO the Gopher's need a new recruiting strategy and a new coach!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 am

Ness is not and will not be a superstar. The reason other schools don't have as many players leaving early is because those programs are developing those players for the next level, and it not costing the nhl team a dime. In the U case, they regress and the nhl teams get them out out there.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:Way out west...

Actually, you're incorrect. Read the posts in chronological order and you will see that JSR first mentions Tech.
Regardless, if JSR is trying to hold up Tech as a good representation of the WCHA, so be it. That just speaks to the strength(?) of his line of argumentation. Even being a cellar-dweller in the WCHA, Tech will be kicking PSU's tail in hockey, for some time.
And this is a bit of a leap: "The Big Ten will be a top conference in due time because of the size of schools"
OSU and Notre Dame have been good sized, powerful, rich schools for some time. The hockey programs............marginal at best.
I can read and you keep making references to how strong the WCHA is but whiloe it has strong teams it has ALOT of weak teams too. I used MI Tech as a point of illustrating a weak team in the conference. Also, you apparently have reading comprehension issues because I noted Tech had been successful a LONG TIME AGO but have not seen success in a very long time and don't look to be very succesful in the near future either. Your argument is weak and short sighted. As for Tech kicking PSU's tail, I guess we'll have to wait and see but I stand by my opinion and the opinion of others that PSU will be competitive and atleast as strong as a midlevel WCHA team within 4 to 5 years of entering D1. Whether or not they excede that remains to be seen. As for your assertion that "Michigan has some history, but most of it is ancient" ..... what universe do you live in? They are one of the top CCHA teams most every year, they make the NCAA tourney pretty consistantly, they have won the most NCAA titles in the history of D1 with 9, true their most recent title was 1998 but that does not make them ancient history as far as being relevant. Wisconsin went from 1990 to 2006 without a title but were they "irrelevant" with only "ancient history" on their side, any knowledgeable hockey fan will tell you that is ridiculous. They've been in the Frozen four since 1998 FIVE TIMES inclusing 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008 and again THIS YEAR but yeah, right, all/most their success in college hockey is ancient history. You are making a fool of yourself now.

You tried to downgrade Michigan State but they have 3 titles (as many as MI Tech who you tried to prop up using those titles as evidence) but MSU's most recent titles was 2007. Apparently by your own definition this makes them pretty darn good.

Your line of reasoning is inconsistant and laughable. You've been wrong on everything thus far though so that is atleast consistant here.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

JSR wrote:As for your assertion that "Michigan has some history, but most of it is ancient" ..... what universe do you live in? They are one of the top CCHA teams most every year, they make the NCAA tourney pretty consistantly, they have won the most NCAA titles in the history of D1 with 9, true their most recent title was 1998 but that does not make them ancient history.
9 titles. Plenty good. No dispute.
8 of them prior to 1967. That would constitute "most." :oops:
Or, perhaps you might want to get back to math class, junior. :lol:

"one of the top CCHA teams most every year" - Sure, and you are one of the smartest guys..........in your dorm room. :oops:

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:05 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote:As for your assertion that "Michigan has some history, but most of it is ancient" ..... what universe do you live in? They are one of the top CCHA teams most every year, they make the NCAA tourney pretty consistantly, they have won the most NCAA titles in the history of D1 with 9, true their most recent title was 1998 but that does not make them ancient history.

"one of the top CCHA teams most every year" - Sure, and you are one of the smartest guys..........in your dorm room. :oops:
Actually the Maze & Blue were...

NCAA Tournament Champions in 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998

NCAA Tournament Frozen Four
1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011

NCAA Tournament Appearances
1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Conference Tournament Champions
1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010

Conference Regular Season Champions
1925, 1927, 1930, 1931, 1935, 1937, 1938, 1953, 1956, 1964, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011

Just thought I'd throw these stats in...

Mich is consistently a solid hockey club and they are among the best in the CCHA each year.

Math class is fun! :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:29 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
Mich is consistently a solid hockey club and they are among the best in the CCHA each year.

8)
I never said they weren't.
They are the best the CCHA has to offer.
They'll be fine in the Big 10. It'll be a nice three horse race.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm

WayOutWest wrote:

WayOutWest wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)

Contradicting statements here...

However, you're right that Mich will be fine in the BIG 10 and that it will be a three horse race most often.

8)
The Puck
LGW

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:

WayOutWest wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)

However, you're right that Mich will be fine in the BIG 10 and that it will be a three horse race most often.

8)
Contradictory?
Did you think I was being facetious when I stated JSR was one of the smartest in his dorm room? I actually think he is.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:

WayOutWest wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)

8)
Contradictory?
Did you think I was being facetious when I stated JSR was one of the smartest in his dorm room? I actually think he is.
Yes I did.

My apologies if you were actually sincere. It is sometimes difficult to decipher sarcasm when reading.

8)
The Puck
LGW

no97

Post by no97 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

JSR wrote:I can read and you keep making references to how strong the WCHA is but whiloe it has strong teams it has ALOT of weak teams too. I used MI Tech as a point of illustrating a weak team in the conference.
Wait - what? You think the WCHA has a lot of weak teams? Really? The WCHA is without question, the deepest, most balanced conference (D-I men's) in the country. Hell, 12th place Tech beat Denver the second to last week of the regular season; 11th place MinnState pushed Denver to OT in the play-offs and beat UMD late in the regular season and Notre Dame at their holiday tourney; 10th place BSU beat UNO in their first rd. series, beat UMD at the Final 5 and also beat Union who went to the NCAA's. Should I go on? No other conference can claim such victories for their "bottom feeders."

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:52 pm

no97 wrote:Wait - what? You think the WCHA has a lot of weak teams? Really? The WCHA is without question, the deepest, most balanced conference (D-I men's) in the country. Hell, 12th place Tech beat Denver the second to last week of the regular season; 11th place MinnState pushed Denver to OT in the play-offs and beat UMD late in the regular season and Notre Dame at their holiday tourney; 10th place BSU beat UNO in their first rd. series, beat UMD at the Final 5 and also beat Union who went to the NCAA's. Should I go on? No other conference can claim such victories for their "bottom feeders."
And THAT, is why it is ludicrous for Minnesota and Wisconsin to leave.