Put a fork in the Gophers, they're done....

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see Blais come for 3-4 yrs. My guess he would get Bill Butters to coach the D and Guetzel would come along and have a contract that says he will be the Head Coach after Blais retires. Blais did this at UNO with Hastings. This program is only going one direction under Lucia! The poorest coached and most underachieving team in the WCHA.
Maybe not the poorest coached, BUT they are the most underachieving!!!
Maybe the coach can help turn around an underachieving team?
Don't expect Blais to step in... Mark my words you little Gophers...
The Puck
LGW
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

After reading Lucia's quotes about 6 good periods and other ramblings, it's definitly time for a change. Sounds like a squirt coach and not the head coach of one of the top D1 programs in the country. When has the alumni had enough?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mulefarm wrote:After reading Lucia's quotes about 6 good periods and other ramblings, it's definitly time for a change. Sounds like a squirt coach and not the head coach of one of the top D1 programs in the country. When has the alumni had enough?
The question is how much can the AD and boosters endure? Over the past three years the Gophers have had sub-par seasons, according to their program's reputation. And they have not made it to the NCAA Tournament in the past two years.

CLICK HERE to see The Don's record over the past seasons. You'll see what I see.

3 years of this kind of performance and recruiting worthy of Lucia's termination?

8)
The Puck
LGW
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

PuckU126 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:After reading Lucia's quotes about 6 good periods and other ramblings, it's definitly time for a change. Sounds like a squirt coach and not the head coach of one of the top D1 programs in the country. When has the alumni had enough?
The question is how much can the AD and boosters endure? Over the past three years the Gophers have had sub-par seasons, according to their program's reputation. And they have not made it to the NCAA Tournament in the past two years.

CLICK HERE to see The Don's record over the past seasons. You'll see what I see.

3 years of this kind of performance and recruiting worthy of Lucia's termination?

8)
I heard Penn State is looking for someone ...
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)
And then the Gophers will give the position to Hill. :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

PuckU126 wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote:
PuckU126 wrote: The question is how much can the AD and boosters endure? Over the past three years the Gophers have had sub-par seasons, according to their program's reputation. And they have not made it to the NCAA Tournament in the past two years.

8)

8)
Brewster would be a better option.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

wingmaster wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote: I heard Penn State is looking for someone ...

8)
Brewster would be a better option.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

They ain't making the NCAA's this year either, so you might as well make it 3 years in a row.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

gorilla1 wrote:They ain't making the NCAA's this year either, so you might as well make it 3 years in a row.
sad but true ... and not the Metallica song either ... I miss the days when the Gophers were good for more and a cheap shot
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:
gorilla1 wrote:They ain't making the NCAA's this year either, so you might as well make it 3 years in a row.
sad but true ... and not the Metallica song either ... I miss the days when the Gophers were good for more and a cheap shot
You're not alone, MnMade.

8)
The Puck
LGW
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Gophers tie UMD and drop in the PRW. :lol: :lol:
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

gorilla1 wrote:Gophers tie UMD and drop in the PRW. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

starmvp wrote:

:-({|=

Becoming 3 straight years the Gophers have not made the NCAAs...

8)
The Puck
LGW
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Two weekends where they played 6 good periods. I'm sure Lucia will feel better after watching the tape. Picking up a point is huge for the pairwise.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mulefarm wrote:Two weekends where they played 6 good periods. I'm sure Lucia will feel better after watching the tape. Picking up a point is huge for the pairwise.
I hope you're being sarcastic...

8)
The Puck
LGW
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

An average team, with a .500 record, in the middle of the WCHA standings. This my friends, is becoming the norm for this team.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

BodyShots wrote:An average team, with a .500 record, in the middle of the WCHA standings. This my friends, is becoming the norm for this team.
Maybe a little below average?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

mulefarm wrote:
BodyShots wrote:An average team, with a .500 record, in the middle of the WCHA standings. This my friends, is becoming the norm for this team.
Maybe a little below average?
At this rate, yes...

Something has to happen/change in order to take the fork out.

8)
The Puck
LGW
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

starmvp wrote:
I admit that I am very uneducated beyond the WCHA of hockey, but I am very curious as to how these polls and the RPI work...I wrote a few paragraphs about their schedule last year and I just do not understand how people rank. MN was about 23 in the polls last week, ties and loses by 2 to the #4, then MN goes down and that team goes up one spot?

I really do not understand how any of this works. It really seems to be more about winning and losing than about who you play. I remember last year they dropped like 10 spots by losing to a top 2 team.

This would be like Hermantown beating a team like Breck marginally and saying that because of the loss Breck is now not a top 25 team. Obviously just an example.

Does anyone who actually knows about the polls/RPI have any insight in how all of this works?
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

Maybe the recruits should go play juniors for a year or 2. Just a thought.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

wingmaster wrote:Maybe the recruits should go play juniors for a year or 2. Just a thought.
=D> [-o<

Enough said..

8)
The Puck
LGW
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

PuckU126 wrote:
wingmaster wrote:Maybe the recruits should go play juniors for a year or 2. Just a thought.
=D> [-o<

Enough said..

8)
Agreed for the most part. Wilcox is there now, which is great. Another problem is getting good players; Okposo left mid season and hurt the Gophers. Schroeder left after two years and if he were still on the team there'd probably be a few more wins. But I will not disagreed with playing juniors for a year or two for some of the players.

That being said, that doesn't change the screwed up ranking system. I do not follow other teams, so it's possible it's just hate for the Gophers, but what happens just does not make sense; it's worse than the BCS in my opinion.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
=D> [-o<

Enough said..

8)
Agreed for the most part. Wilcox is there now, which is great. Another problem is getting good players; Okposo left mid season and hurt the Gophers. Schroeder left after two years and if he were still on the team there'd probably be a few more wins. But I will not disagreed with playing juniors for a year or two for some of the players.

That being said, that doesn't change the screwed up ranking system. I do not follow other teams, so it's possible it's just hate for the Gophers, but what happens just does not make sense; it's worse than the BCS in my opinion.
Its not worse than the BCS... Thank God!

BCS assigns its teams to specific bowl games (no bracket). PWR ranks the teams, assigns them seeds, and distributes the teams into different regions for the 16 team NCAA tournament bracket.

The PWR does this....
The Ratings Percentage Index is one tool used to select teams for the national collegiate ice hockey tournament. Factors involved are 1) the team's winning percentage; 2) the average winning percentage of the team's opponents; and 3) the average winning percentage of the team's opponents' opponents. These factors are multiplied by 25%, 21%, and 54% respectively.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/#ixzz1DO8bXwUK
AND
http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise- ... s/d-i-men/

I hope this helped.

8)
The Puck
LGW
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Not sure that is the answer. I think we all can agree that Don is recruiting very good players. His recruited classes are always ranked among the top in the nation. The problem is that he is not developing the players. They are not getting better with experience.

Examples:

Jay Horrible (sp) was great as a freshman. Fast, electric, aggressive. Now he is average at best, and appears to be loafing whenever the puck is not on his stick.

Jordan Schroeder was an excellent player for the U.S. Development team. As a freshman, he looked very calm, cool, and collected. I even think he was voted freshman of the year in the WCHA. In his second year, he looked disinterested and lethargic. Every time he had the puck and entered the offensive zone, the coasters came on and nothing happened.

David Fisher was Mr Hockey in Minnesota. Did he continue to go down hill from his high school days?

Cade Fairchild was another highly recuited offensive defensemen that came from the U.S. Development team. His offensive abilities have left him, and he is a liability in the defensive zone.

I could go on and on, but that is enough for now. My frustrations are boiling over as it is.

So in a nut shell. If you are getting good recruits every year, but your team is average at best for four straight years. Then your coaching abilities have declined and its time for some new blood to take over!
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

BodyShots wrote:
Not sure that is the answer. I think we all can agree that Don is recruiting very good players. His recruited classes are always ranked among the top in the nation. The problem is that he is not developing the players. They are not getting better with experience.

Examples:

Jay Horrible (sp) was great as a freshman. Fast, electric, aggressive. Now he is average at best, and appears to be loafing whenever the puck is not on his stick.

Jordan Schroeder was an excellent player for the U.S. Development team. As a freshman, he looked very calm, cool, and collected. I even think he was voted freshman of the year in the WCHA. In his second year, he looked disinterested and lethargic. Every time he had the puck and entered the offensive zone, the coasters came on and nothing happened.

David Fisher was Mr Hockey in Minnesota. Did he continue to go down hill from his high school days?

Cade Fairchild was another highly recuited offensive defensemen that came from the U.S. Development team. His offensive abilities have left him, and he is a liability in the defensive zone.

I could go on and on, but that is enough for now. My frustrations are boiling over as it is.

So in a nut shell. If you are getting good recruits every year, but your team is average at best for four straight years. Then your coaching abilities have declined and its time for some new blood to take over!
I see what you're saying, but he (Don) is dressing players like Mark Alt immediately after HS into the WCHA (IMO the strongest NCAA conference). The kid makes some good plays but he gets burned way too often.. The lack of development and grooming hurts the team.

The Don should require all recruits to be prepped in Juniors for a year or two for development then bring them up. This is a norm within the college hockey world. And of course, teams are going to get outliers like TJ Oshie who can make the transition; however, the Gophers seem to get a lot of these "outliers." :?

8)
The Puck
LGW