Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:Wayouteast -

Explain to me how okposo leaving school early for the AHL made Snow and the islanders money.

They felt he wasnt being developed! If he was being developed to their liking than they would have left him in college to save them the money :)

So, okposo and lucia actually cost the islanders money that they would rather not have spent.
What makes you think the Islanders were spending money they would rather not have spent? Players are frequently put in AHL programs to develop the way their parent NHL programs want them to. It's an investment.
Are the Islanders making money on Kyle Okposo now?
Not every program, and every player goes directly to the NHL and is an immediate financial windfall. The end game is to maximize the number of financial windfalls you have on your roster. Okposo is now one. Like many others, they merely felt they needed to invest in his future with the team. I don't think they are too concerned about an investment when it pays off. And, it did.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

You lil boys have no idea...I bet you are that parent that sits in the stands and watches your squirt a power play you dont approve :)
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

"Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program there," Snow said in a telephone interview. "They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that."

Asked for specifics, Snow said, "[Okposo] just wasn't getting better -- bottom line. And to me, that's the frustrating part. We entrusted the coach there to turn him into a better hockey player, and it wasn't happening. We feel more comfortable in him developing right under our watch."

"I don't think we'd be at this point if he was being coached properly," Snow said.

Snow then responded "he'll get better coaching" when asked what Okposo would get in the Islanders system.

AS I SAID...HE WAS BROUGHT UP FOR DEVELOPMENT. :)
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:"Quite frankly, we weren't happy with the program there," Snow said in a telephone interview. "They have a responsibility to coach, to make Kyle a better player, and they were not doing that."

Asked for specifics, Snow said, "[Okposo] just wasn't getting better -- bottom line. And to me, that's the frustrating part. We entrusted the coach there to turn him into a better hockey player, and it wasn't happening. We feel more comfortable in him developing right under our watch."

"I don't think we'd be at this point if he was being coached properly," Snow said.

Snow then responded "he'll get better coaching" when asked what Okposo would get in the Islanders system.

AS I SAID...HE WAS BROUGHT UP FOR DEVELOPMENT. :)
Whatever you say Tiger.

Starting name calling shows your maturity, so obviously, winning internet disagreements is high on your list.

That and .50 will get ya a cup of coffee, btw.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Well learn how to debate
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote: AS I SAID...HE WAS BROUGHT UP FOR DEVELOPMENT. :)
Of course he was, but you and Mailman are really not that far apart from one another.
He was brought up for development..............to eventually become a financial benefit to the organization. There was obviously a financial reason to bring Okposo up. The NHL is a business. Dollars drive the bottom line. The only part you are arguing about seems to be whether his financial impact was intended to be immediate or long-term. I don't know that too many programs count on any player being an immedicate financial windfall. Okposo was no different.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Most of the AHL teams make money too. I believe Bridgeport missed the playoffs by one spot the year he was brought in. If Kyle would have had enough to push them into the playoffs and get them a couple more home games he for sure makes them money even in the A. Did he put extra butts in the stands the few games he played for the isles? Guaranteed just because of the Snow/ Lucia back and forth in the media. People wanted to see the kid that all the fuss was about. It is extremely narrow minded argument taking place here.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Should be fun watching Bjugstad and Rau compete in the World Juniors:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/12/23/ ... ted-states
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Hopefully Bjugstad comes back after the tournament and waits until after the season to sign with Flordia.
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

Mailman wrote:WOW ! He doesn't have a chance of playing in the NHL imo; had a lot of trouble even handling D1 level of hockey.

On a side note, I like Rau a lot, but another small, skilled player is not what the Gophers need.........as the last few years have shown.

Can't see him handling the WCHA very well either.
Maybe want to re-assess that opinion regarding Rau?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Okay Mulefarm...Thanks for the comment!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

[quote="Tigers33"]Okay Mulefarm...Thanks for the comment![/quot
You are welcome Tiger, Merry Christmas
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

"One player the Panthers have extreme interest in watching is Bjugstad..."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/25/2 ... uture.html
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Good summary explaining why the Gophers are off to a great start this season:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/12/2 ... ota-gopher
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Looks & sounds like a bad loss last night!
No TV was a bummer this weekend... Anyone go to the Northeastern game last night? 12 penalties, was Sheppard brutal or Gophs not moving feet?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The officiating was awful. And NE had a couple, especially one, little punks that reminded me of sean avery type person. Just a little agitator, and than would fall every time he would get touched.

Oh well. Not concerned as a gopher fan.

Hopefully Florida was already there watching him, cause USA is done! I am not sure anyone from the USA team will be getting a phone call anytime soon from an NHL team.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nice, hard fought and well deserved win tonight, Gophers.

Best of luck the rest of the way!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Gophers drop to 14th in pairwise rankings. Are they in danger of not making the NCAA's unless they win the final 5? I thought they were almost a sure bet to make it.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

mulefarm wrote:Gophers drop to 14th in pairwise rankings. Are they in danger of not making the NCAA's unless they win the final 5? I thought they were almost a sure bet to make it.
Well they do seem to really follow the Pairwise rankings when picking the teams. So they go much further down the list and don't win the WCHA Final 5 there would be a problem. Another thing to keep in mind is if a team outside the top 16 in the pairwise tournament win their conference tournament they will still get an automatic bid which means one less at large bid will be available. This happened a couple of years ago when Alabama-Huntsville ended up winning the CHA instead of Bemidji State.
Gophers better pick up their play just to be safe.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The math of the pairwise is still very volatile. You still can't read too much into when we haven't even hit February yet. The teams to worry are the ones around 20 and lower as they have a lot more work to do to make up the ground to get into the conversation.

At this stage, an at large bid is definitely a good possibility for the Gophers. But like any team, you still have to put the wins up.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The Gophers look like they are 13th...They are in 1st in the WCHA. They are fine for now, but could be different down the road.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

.ap4mvp

Post by .ap4mvp »

BodyShots wrote:Now we are talking....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137984168.html
As a fan of SCSU I like the fact there will be a "Minnesota Cup" but I hope for changes.

One: Make it a "Minnesota Final Five" every year every Minnesota team plays in the tournament. Perhaps if Minnesota State-Moorhead comes into the picture then changes can be made. Maybe adding UND and Wisconsin to make it an eight team tourney? A few D3 teams???? Possibilities???? It could be fun with the improvement of D3 in recent years.

Two: Why the Xcel Energy Center? Yes I know nice big arena. IMO the "Minnesota Cup" should rotate where each school can host that way the Gophers can't always capatilize with their big draw in their own backyard. (Everything for the precious big budget rodents) Plus with tourney being in St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, or Bemidji would be huge for those communities. If the Gophers want to keep playing Minnesota teams maybe they can make those changes happen.

Reading a publication a while back the NCHC said they were thinking of possibly not scheduling Big Ten teams. Maybe that was just some AD's over-reaction to the new Big Ten. UMD and SCSU don't need the gophers like MSU and BSU does.

Maybe the gophers should just skip the tourney for they play the BU's and BC's of the world insted with their 6-team conference.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

.ap4mvp wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Now we are talking....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/137984168.html
As a fan of SCSU I like the fact there will be a "Minnesota Cup" but I hope for changes.

One: Make it a "Minnesota Final Five" every year every Minnesota team plays in the tournament. Perhaps if Minnesota State-Moorhead comes into the picture then changes can be made. Maybe adding UND and Wisconsin to make it an eight team tourney? A few D3 teams???? Possibilities???? It could be fun with the improvement of D3 in recent years.

Two: Why the Xcel Energy Center? Yes I know nice big arena. IMO the "Minnesota Cup" should rotate where each school can host that way the Gophers can't always capatilize with their big draw in their own backyard. (Everything for the precious big budget rodents) Plus with tourney being in St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, or Bemidji would be huge for those communities. If the Gophers want to keep playing Minnesota teams maybe they can make those changes happen.

Reading a publication a while back the NCHC said they were thinking of possibly not scheduling Big Ten teams. Maybe that was just some AD's over-reaction to the new Big Ten. UMD and SCSU don't need the gophers like MSU and BSU does.

Maybe the gophers should just skip the tourney for they play the BU's and BC's of the world insted with their 6-team conference.
It's going to be at the X because the ability to seet 18,000+ will make it a money maker for all the teams.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Good call bodyshots...Come on people. Everything in the world is about the bottom line. Sporting events, our jobs, everything. So, why would we expect anything different.