Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 pm

observer wrote:Have you heard that Marshall is practicing as a forward? I'm not sure I'd agree with that move.
Nope, just an educated guess.

1. They have all 6 returning starting defensemen
2. A NHL first round draft pick in Skjei coming in.
3. A kid (M. Reilly) who broke the BCHL scoring records of last years WCHA rookie defensemen of the year (Laleggia)

One would assume these two will be somewhere in the starting 6. Since Marshall is considered to be very gifted offensively, and has played a lot of forward in the past, I am making the assumption that the team will find a place for him to get on the ice as a forward.

Curious to hear who your starting 6 defensemen will be?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:40 pm

When did Marshal play a lot of forward? Was he a forward at Omaha? It looks to me that they have too many D, not really fair, and hard to keep everybody happy. 1 or 2 should have played jrs this year.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Whats wrong with competition? This should only make everyone that much better.

Who should have played juniors? Skjei? Ha!

My predictions are Skjei, Helgeson, Schmitt, and Alt are regulars with Marshall, Reilly, Parenteau, and Holl battling for the last two spots.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am

Tigers33 wrote:My predictions are Skjei, Helgeson, Schmitt, and Alt are regulars with Marshall, Reilly, Parenteau, and Holl battling for the last two spots.
Agree 100%. But as the season progresses any of the four non-regulars should be capable of moving up on the depth chart (like Nate Schmidt was able to do last year).

And even though I'm not a Blake Thompson fan at this point, if he can find a way to eliminate the really dumb/bad plays that he made in his limited playing time last year, he also has potential to earn some playing time. Then again, maybe not because there are a lot of talented players ahead of him.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 am

Blake Thompson might play in 2 games, if lucky. That is unless there are injuries. I am not sure if parentau is on scholarship so he might be one to lose some ice time. I don't know much about Reilly but can only bet him and Marshall aren't paired together. This is my prediction for opening day
Helgeson and holl - veteran pairing
Alt and Marshall/Reilly
Schmitt and skjei

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm

mulefarm wrote:When did Marshal play a lot of forward? Was he a forward at Omaha? It looks to me that they have too many D, not really fair, and hard to keep everybody happy. 1 or 2 should have played jrs this year.
You do realize that most teams carry at least 8 defensemen on the roster, right? Sometimes 9 d-men. It's not uncommon (nor is it unfair).

Marshall played forward until converting to defense around the start of his HS days. Or something like that. I can't recall 100%

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 am

he bounced back and forth from Def to For as youth.

Schmidt and Alt played together when they were with the Blades....seems that would be a good fit.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 pm

youngblood08 wrote:he bounced back and forth from Def to For as youth.
I just meant on a full time basis to D. Either way, he has the capability to move up front if needed.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:19 am

youngblood08 wrote:he bounced back and forth from Def to For as youth.

Schmidt and Alt played together when they were with the Blades....seems that would be a good fit.
I'm sure thats right up there in MG's "how to pair defensemen" list! :roll: :roll:

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Opening day will be interesting to see who's together, but I'm sure Don will change things as the season progresses.

My bets are:

Rau/Bjugstad/Budish
Warning/Haula/Condon
Ambroz/Boyd/C. Reilly
Serratore/Michaelson/Larsen

Schmidt/Parenteau
Helgeson/Holl
Skjei/Alt

Maybe Wilcox in net..

observer

Post by observer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 pm

I think you're close. I see Marshall and Mike Reilly getting time at D but I don't know at whose expense if you want to put it that way.

njmarshall20

Re: OldTimePuck00

Post by njmarshall20 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Leaving Marshall out of the starting line-up for game 1 is laughable. But, then I saw that you somehow plugged Jared Larson in as a 4th line forward and realized you really have no idea what you are talking about!

I think you will lose the bet on this one.

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Who do you see in that fourth line spot then? Marshall was the worst defenseman that saw consistent time for the Gophs last season; perhaps it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about. But as your username indicates, I probably just ruffled your feathers for leaving your boy out of the lineup. :roll:

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Mikey Reilly will play! My guess is Holl is odd man out, and possibly Parenteau (is he just a walk-on)

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Mikey Reilly will play! My guess is Holl is odd man out, and possibly Parenteau (is he just a walk-on)
I don't think Parenteau is a walk on, and he was solid all last season. Marshall got exposed on his 1-on-1's last year but the D will be tough to judge who will play since the incoming defenceman are both highly skilled. I don't see Jared Larson seeing much time at all this season. Skjei is a first round pick, he'll be in the mix all season. Reilly is also a good D-man so it's a tough guess who will be the one to see decreased ice-time.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 am

I agree that it will be an uphill climb to get ice time for Larson and Thompson. The others mentioned will all get ample opportunity to prove they deserve to be in the starting six. With two unproven goaltenders everyone out there will need to be sharp defensively, and that goes for the forwards as well.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:29 pm

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:45 pm

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-ho ... 12aaa.html This might shake up the way the 3rd and 4th lines might have been. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing him at the college level.

BodyShots

Re: Lines

Post by BodyShots » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 am

BodyShots wrote:
njmarshall20 wrote:Anyone want to take a shot at the line combination for the Gophs this coming season?

A good problem to have, but man is this line-up deep!

What do they do with guys like Isackson, Jared Larson, and Blake Thompson? Where do the Freshman shake out? Is Skjei going to be paired with Nate Schmidt as the top D pairing?? Wilcox the #1 goalie??

Thanks
Sure, I'll give it a shot.

Forwards
Rau / Bjugstad / Budish
Warning / Haula / Ambroz
Marshall / Condon / Boyd
(Serratore or Michaelson) / Isackson / Horn
Larson / Reilly / Reilly

Defense
Schmidt / Alt
Helgeson / Skjei
Holl / M Reilly
Parenteau / Thompson

Goalies
Wilcox / Shibowski will alternate until one takes over the #1 roll
LaPrade
A couple of minor adjustments since my early summer predictions.

Forwards
Rau / Bjugstad / Budish
Warning / Haula / Ambroz
Serratore / Boyd / Condon
Michaelson / Isackson / Horn
Larson / Reilly /

Defense
Schmidt / Alt
Helgeson / Skjei
Holl / M Reilly
Parenteau / Marshall
Thompson

Goalies
LaPrade

But I still think Marshall could see some playing time at forward if there are multiple injuries.

It's time.... Drop the puck!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am

BodyShots wrote:A couple of minor adjustments since my early summer predictions.

Forwards
Rau / Bjugstad / Budish
Warning / Haula / Ambroz
Serratore / Boyd / Condon
Michaelson / Isackson / Horn
Larson / Reilly /

Defense
Schmidt / Alt
Helgeson / Skjei
Holl / M Reilly
Parenteau / Marshall
Thompson

Goalies
LaPrade

But I still think Marshall could see some playing time at forward if there are multiple injuries.

It's time.... Drop the puck!
I think your starting line combinations are as good of a guess as anybody's, but I'm looking for Lucia to experiment some during the exhibition tomorrow night. Lethbridge will not pose much of a challenge, and the Gophers will score early and often. This will allow Lucia plenty of opportunity to try some different things throughout the game and all skaters who dress will see plenty of icetime.

P.S. I've had the same season tickets since they opened the building, and I'm looking forward to viewing this year's games from a different (and improved) vantage point!

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Went to the scrimmage last night and saw lots of interesting different lines and D-pairings.

Most impressive was the number of different power play units that saw time and looked good. The top unit is downright scary.

Most Surprising (obviously) was Isaackson on the top line with Rau and Bjuger. Made the rest of the lines much more solid through and through with Budish, Haula, Condon on a line at times. Isaackson, Boyd, Ambroz and Warning have all stepped it up in the off-season and should make some solid contributions up front.

No Blake Thompson was no surprise, as well as the rare Jared Larson sighting, not expecting to see much of them this year providing no major injuries. Michaelson, R. Reilly and Horn all saw decent time and looked pretty good; look for two of the three to see fourth line time with Serratore.

Defense was solid overall, M. Reilly had a few shaky moments at the beginning of the game but settled in towards the end and looked pretty good in the offensive zone. Skjei had a good game overall and played pretty well with Schmidt. D-pairings will still be a mystery until at least the end of the Michigan State series, as almost every veteran D-man was out with a freshman on almost every shift.

With all six defenseman returning and looking good, it's hard to see M. Reilly or Skjei breaking a top 6 spot. That being said Lucia has made it clear that the best 18 will suit up even if it means a defenseman skates with a third or fourth line. I suspect Marshall, Holl or M. Reilly as possible candidates for that role.

Wilcox and Shibrowski were relatively untested and will probably continute to rotate for a few series.

All in all it was against Lethbridge and the Goph's need a bit more of a test to see who vies to take the last few debatable spots.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 am

MNHockeyFan wrote: P.S. I've had the same season tickets since they opened the building, and I'm looking forward to viewing this year's games from a different (and improved) vantage point!
Me too. I moved from the end the Gophers defended twice to the end they attack twice. I like being able to see the offense more and my son likes being close to the students and the band. I don't like being so far from the ice cream stand though. :wink:

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 am

C-dad wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: P.S. I've had the same season tickets since they opened the building, and I'm looking forward to viewing this year's games from a different (and improved) vantage point!
Me too. I moved from the end the Gophers defended twice to the end they attack twice. I like being able to see the offense more and my son likes being close to the students and the band. I don't like being so far from the ice cream stand though. :wink:
best tix in the house! I split tix right there two sections off the student section.

You may be further from the ice cream, but you're closer to Famous Dave's now. mmmmmmm pork.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 am

DrGaf wrote:
C-dad wrote:
best tix in the house! I split tix right there two sections off the student section.

You may be further from the ice cream, but you're closer to Famous Dave's now. mmmmmmm pork.
There's Famous Dave's at both ends and Dino's Gyros that my son likes at both ends, but Kemps only at the east end. :(

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am

C-dad wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
C-dad wrote:

There's Famous Dave's at both ends and Dino's Gyros that my son likes at both ends, but Kemps only at the east end. :(
eh, maybe I should quit avoiding eye contact and look around once in a while.

It's always my first stop, never even considered there was another location. Love me some pulled pork and hockey cheerleaders.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.