WCHA Early Departures

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockey75

WCHA Early Departures

Post by MNHockey75 »

"As expected, Duluth freshman defenseman Justin Faulk has signed a three-year contract with the Carolina Hurricanes, giving up his final three years of college eligibility.

Faulk was the top defenseman for the Bulldogs, producing 33 points in 39 games. The South St. Paul product was a second-round pick of the Canes and is the second Duluth player to turn pro early this offseason. Mike Connolly signed with San Jose earlier this week.

Faulk is the sixth WCHA player to turn pro early so far this offseason."

Early signings in the WCHA:
Matt Donovan, so, d, New York Islanders
Aaron Ness, jr, d, New York Islanders
Mike Connolly, jr, f, San Jose Sharks
Justin Faulk, fr, d, Carolina Hurricanes
Oliver Lauridsen, jr, d, Philadelphia Flyers
Jake Gardiner, jr, d, Toronto Maple Leafs
2001 & 2006 State Participant
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Normally Faulk and M Conn leaving early would bum me out, but it's tough to be bummed out just following an NCAA title. :mrgreen:

Best of luck to both of them! Also expecting J Conn and Lamb to leave the Dogs.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

I have been hearing that JT Brown may also leave. It would be tough only hearing one Connolly out there. Its too bad too, they could have been the best line in college hockey two years in a row, not to mention what Faulk could have done...
Go Hounds.
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

I would be interested to hear your source, because I am closer than your source and I am not sure Brown will be going pro.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

The Duluth News Tribune.
Go Hounds.
ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey »

I'd be suprised if Jack and Lamb left, however I have heard mutterings of JT possibly leaving too.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

For you Sioux fans out there...Kristo, Dell and Blood have all announced they're coming back next season. Corban Knight is also a lock to return. Big news for Sioux fans. The last big question mark is Jason Gregoire. I'd say it's 50/50 for Gregs. If he were to leave he could very easily find ice time in the NHL in the next 1-2 years.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

MNHockey75 wrote:For you Sioux fans out there...Kristo, Dell and Blood have all announced they're coming back next season. Corban Knight is also a lock to return. Big news for Sioux fans. The last big question mark is Jason Gregoire. I'd say it's 50/50 for Gregs. If he were to leave he could very easily find ice time in the NHL in the next 1-2 years.
Made my day. Thanks.

8)
The Puck
LGW
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

MNHockey75 wrote:For you Sioux fans out there...Kristo, Dell and Blood have all announced they're coming back next season. Corban Knight is also a lock to return. Big news for Sioux fans. The last big question mark is Jason Gregoire. I'd say it's 50/50 for Gregs. If he were to leave he could very easily find ice time in the NHL in the next 1-2 years.
Actually, Hextall was a question mark as well... and he signed a deal with the Coyotes.
no97

Post by no97 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Actually, Hextall was a question mark as well... and he signed a deal with the Coyotes Winnipeg Jets.
Fixed it for you 8)
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Actually, Hextall was a question mark as well... and he signed a deal with the Coyotes.
He slipped my mind. He never quite flourished in Hakstal's system. He's a great penalty killer, but is in the box a lot. He will fit in well in the AHL, but I doubt we'll ever see him in an NHL jersey for more than a few games. If he were 3-4 inches taller, it might be a different story. He will be mildly missed.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

"Like his older brother Brady, Wisconsin’s Jordy Murray is leaving school early to play pro hockey in Switzerland.

The announcement, which has been expected since last week, came this afternoon from Wisconsin.

The former Shattuck-St. Mary’s standout finished second on the team in goals with 18 last season. He had 26 points."
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Brett Bruneteau (UND Soph.) has graduated in two years and is transferring to Vermont to play with his younger brother. He will most likely find a lot more playing time as well. He will not have to sit out a year. He only played four games this past season.

Mike Cichy (UND Soph.) is also transferring. He's still not sure where he will land. Cichy led the USHL in points his last season, but has been a huge disappointment in Grand Forks. His lack of speed has really hurt. He probably would've played some PP next year, so his departure is a little head-scratching. The last two years he was left out of the line-up during their stretch run, however. He had 7 points in 25 games this past season.

It would appear that UND will be lacking some depth up front next season with the early departures of Bruneteau, Cichy and Hextall. Gregoire has yet to make a decision.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

MNHockey75 wrote:Gregoire has yet to make a decision.
He has now made it official.
He is leaving UND. He is also going to use the same loop hole Blake Wheeler did and become an unrestricted free agent.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:Gregoire has yet to make a decision.
He has now made it official.
He is leaving UND. He is also going to use the same loop hole Blake Wheeler did and become an unrestricted free agent.
Noooooooo!

8)
The Puck
LGW