Impact Recruits

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warriors41

Impact Recruits

Post by warriors41 »

I don't know about you guys but it's always a little depressing during the off season when I see a bunch of very talented college players leave early to pursue their college careers. So, to lighten the mood let's discuss some of the incoming recruits who you think can have an immediate impact in college hockey.

Since Bemidji State is the team I pay most attention to so I'll say that it's pretty exciting that they are getting a kid named Tyler Tosunian from the Canadian Junior Hockey League. This guy has 117 points in 60 games which is 2nd in the league. They are also getting Sean Rudy from the OJHL who has 73 points in 48 games played. These guys will be important because BSU's biggest problem is getting points up on the board. Most of their scoring was from their first line and two of the guys graduated this year. If these guys can come in and produce right away and some of the younger guys come along and develop in their second year that will be huge for Bemidji State. They are pretty good in net and and hopefully the D get a little better too. THey do have one defenseman coming in who could grow into an offensive role in Matt Prapavessis but I don't expect that to be for a few years. That's about it for Bemidji State, although they did get about 12 committments for next year. I think those 2 or 3 will have a big impact in the WCHA in the next few years.

Another kid to bring up is Phil Brewer who leads the OJHL with 109 points but he won't be on campus until 2012.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Do they sing the Canadian National Anthem before Beaver games? :wink:
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

BodyShots wrote:Do they sing the Canadian National Anthem before Beaver games? :wink:
Hey, you gotta recruit who's willing to come to BSU. They like to get the mature players from the junior leagues. A lot of those just happen to be Canadian. They have a lot of USHL players coming in too but only a few are from the states still. It would be nice to see a lot of Minnesota kids on the roster but they BSU isn't to the level yet where they can recruit like the Sioux or Minnesota.
observer

Post by observer »

BSU isn't to the level yet where they can recruit like the Sioux or Minnesota.
Not so sure about that. Weren't they ranked #1 in the country for awhile during the 2009-2010 season? The new players mentioned sound pretty solid to me based on some very impressive stats. Name more than one Gopher recruit that scored that much at any level.
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

Kessel
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

observer wrote:
BSU isn't to the level yet where they can recruit like the Sioux or Minnesota.
Not so sure about that. Weren't they ranked #1 in the country for awhile during the 2009-2010 season? The new players mentioned sound pretty solid to me based on some very impressive stats. Name more than one Gopher recruit that scored that much at any level.
If my memory serves correctly they got ranked as high as 4th during the season you are referring to. The week after they were ranked that high they were swept though and after that didn't play as well. They did make the tournament as a 3 seed which is nice. If you look at the ability to play compared to the talent they have than yes, they are on par with the Gophers. They did push them to two overtime games in their series this year. But from a recruiting stand point, if a player is offered a full ride to the Gophers and to the Beavers I'm willing to bet a huge percentage would choose Minnesota. That's what I was referring to. If someone is offered a scholarship between the Bulldogs or Sioux or Gophers it might be a hard choice for them to decide but Bemidji isn't perceived to be at that same level yet if that makes sense.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

The Other Bash Brother wrote:Kessel
Which one? When is coming in?
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

mulefarm wrote:
The Other Bash Brother wrote:Kessel
Which one? When is coming in?
I thought you were referring to past recruits. My mistake.

Although Phil and Amanda were good additions.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Who are some other recruits that will be attending college next year that will be productive right off the start and be helpful to their teams?
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

warriors41 wrote:Who are some other recruits that will be attending college next year that will be productive right off the start and be helpful to their teams?
The Sioux are getting three big-time recruits next season. Rocco Grimaldi is just 5-6, but he's a terrific skater and passer. He's been all over the stat sheet for every team he's ever played for. J.T. Miller is a big kid with great skill and great work-ethic. Miller and Grimaldi just led U18 Team USA to a gold medal. Nick Mattson was just named the USHL defensive player of the year. He will step in and make an immediate impact. He will be a top-4 Dman for UND.

Miller is a projected 1st rounder this year. Grimaldi is projected early 2nd. Colten St. Clair is also projected to go anywhere from 4th-6th. Mattson was a 6th rounder (Chicago) last season.
2001 & 2006 State Participant