new conferences good for college hockey?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:30 am

And there were those that use to say hockey would never survive, or grow, in the U.S. :roll:

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 am

There ya go boys!!

None of you have mentioned the economy as a reason that some schools may be forced to discontinue hockey. To me this would be the number one reason if any schools stop D1 hockey in the near future.

The Big 10, the national conference, and the WCHA will all be fine in the future. So what are you concerned about? Hockey East and ECAC. Well, thats where all the money is already. Plus the east coast in general could care less about the midwest.

I think I counted 58 schools with Div 1 hockey, Alabama huntsville is gone soon which will leave them at 57. This is pure speculation, but it wouldnt shock me to see St. Thomas, Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska all start playing D1 hockey in the next 5-7 years. Adding these three major universities will not hurt college hockey. Imagine the fan base it could attract if these colleges all start up hockey. Right now college hockey is not at a national level of interest, and might not ever get there. However, if large universities add the sport than it can only help.

As for the new WCHA...again in my opinion it will only help college hockey. I dont know how the financial side of things will work, but you are only losing 5 major colleges as far as money goes. As far as revenue - St. Cloud is probably comparable to UMD and CC. So, yes you are losing 5 big schools (Wisconsin, MN, Ohio St., Mich, and Mich St.). The new WCHA will help, because some of these schools can turn into power houses now. Think of the recruiting if a school like St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji, or Alaska win the conference. How much would that help their recruiting? It might also spark more fan interest if some of these schools began winning more often. Even the MN - Alaska game in Alaska didnt draw many people.

In conclusion -

* There is a possibility of some large schools adding college hockey (For all we know it might be in the works).
* Some smaller schools might get a smell of success.
* The rivalries being lost are between schools and Minnesota. St. cloud would still play bemidji and Mankato. Umd would still play North Dakota. Look at the NHL. Old/New rivalries will begin. I will miss watching us play Vancouver so much. I could care less about Nashville, Columbus, and Dallas really. However, it will be exciting to see some old and new rivalries begin.
* Some schools are already struggling because of the exonomy. Nobody really knows what would happen to some of those schools anyways. I think this will give some struggling schools the chance to win some games.
* As a gopher fan the only games I care as far as rivalries are No Dak, UMD, SCSU, and Wisc. Well I will take my chances will will play 1 or 2 of those teams throughout the season. It wouldnt surprise me to see those 4 schools form a holiday tourney. At the same time I am exited to see Michigan and Michigan St. come to town more often.

You two are Mr. negatice when it comes to most things on this board...You two are the two dads that love to complain in the stands all the time :)

JSR
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:12 am

WayOutWest wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:Way out west and Mulefarm - your arguments are merely your opinion. That is fine, but neither of you are making a strong case for your argument.

Please give me reasons why this is bad. Please give me reasons why Illinois would be bad for hockey. Not just because its what you want to see happen, but some type of credible reason.

I am pretty sure the AD's and presidents of the universities in the Big Ten would not form a hockey conference if they didnt think it was a good idea in the long run. Losing rivalries matters to the average fan, but not the universities.

You guys must live in your own lil bubble.
First, nice last comment, Tiger. And let me say that if you truly believe I am at all accountable to you, it is YOU that lives in a bubble, junior.

Secondly, there isn't as much money in college hockey as some of you folks tend to believe. There are reasons that many of the mega-schools don't have hockey programs. Is it because they cannot recruit? Highly doubtful. I am sure you can figure it out, though.
And to talk to me about my opinions when most all of what is being presented here is nothing but..............is beyond ludicrous.
The Illinois thing is PURE speculation at this point. One article in LPH is not evidence of what is going to transpire, unless you believe the author was Nostradamus???
It also doesn't take much "cyphering" to realize that many of the smaller programs, today, are benefiting from revenue linked to their play against larger programs which produce more draw. If you pull the larger programs out of current conferences and leave conferences with only smaller programs, they will suffer............to the point that some programs will undoubtedly be forced to shut down.
Rivalries are lost.
Many programs get poorer.

Are you supplanting the lost programs and rivalries with the Penn States and Illinois'? Maybe. But starting new programs to supplant old not only loses rivalries but also rich program histories, which are important to many in the game.

Are you creating more "interest" by getting programs in larger schools, thereby obtaining a net win?
That seems to be an opinion, but there is nothing guaranteed or even strongly evidenced, there, to support that. You are counting on "creating" interest in a sport. That's more than a leap of faith, AND something that YOU need to provide a cogent argument for. :shock:
And this same approach that basketball, football, soccer and bassically every single other college sport uses has hurt the growth of those sports how exactly???

And yes, if you add Illinois and lose a Alabama-Huntsville you do have net growth. It's pure numbers not speculation when you have a national school fanbase of over 100,000 versus a schoolo with a national fanbase of about 10,000. What is it about those numbers that do not make sense to you?

JSR
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:15 am

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: no one gives a rats behind about Mankato, or Bjemdji, or UMD or Northern Michigan. I'm sorry,they don;t, yes hard core hockey fans appreciate the tradition and level of play of these schools but to grow a sport you need casual fans and national prominence, none of which was happening by propping up all the "state schools" in Minnesota (outside of the Gophers). It may suck but it's reality. This is good for the long term survival of D1 college hockey and it can already be seen.
So you are obviously not also a fan of Cornell, Mercyhurst, Niagra, Holy Cross, RIT, Western Michigan, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Alaska, Alaska-Anchorage, Vermont, Maine, Lake Superior, Ferris State, Bowling Green, Miami, Union, Dartmoth, Colgate, etc. etc. etc. No national prominence with any of them.

Apparently, you believe we should scrap them all. No one gives a rats behind about them, right?
We need to merely present this opportunity to the likes of USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, and Tennesse, and get some REAL nationally prominent programs into play and generate some REAL interest.

Yeah, go with that.
You are truly living in your own little world. I am a fan of all college hockey, that doesn't mean I have to be blind and ignorant to facts. Nice job by the way of cutting off my quote and ignoring the part about "the national fanbase" and the "casual fan" being the ones I said that don't give a rats ass about those programs i mentioned. No one said we should scrap any of those programs any more so than we should scrap midmajors in football and basketball but let's face it, there is a pecking order and larger schools bring larger audiences, that doesn't mean there isn't a place for non-large or "BCS" schools, same as in other sports. That is just fact

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm

JSR wrote: It's pure numbers not speculation when you have a national school fanbase of over 100,000 versus a schoolo with a national fanbase of about 10,000. What is it about those numbers that do not make sense to you?
I assume that what you are trying to imply is that because a school has a bigger fan base, that naturally corresponds to many more paying butts in the seats for any given sport.

Because it exists in a crowd, it must therefore be popular. Right? Wrong!!

I present to you...............the WNBA.

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Tigers33 wrote: You two are Mr. negatice when it comes to most things on this board...You two are the two dads that love to complain in the stands all the time :)
First, learn how to spell, for your OWN good.

Secondly, you are either an alias of JSR, or you are MORE than fast friends. :wink:

Third, this last piece of speculation falls directly in line with everything else you have provided. All SWAG's. But, you go!!

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm

JSR wrote: I am a fan of all college hockey, that doesn't mean I have to be blind and ignorant to facts.
And yet............you are. 8)

JSR
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:58 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
Tigers33 wrote: You two are Mr. negatice when it comes to most things on this board...You two are the two dads that love to complain in the stands all the time :)
First, learn how to spell, for your OWN good.

Secondly, you are either an alias of JSR, or you are MORE than fast friends. :wink:

Third, this last piece of speculation falls directly in line with everything else you have provided. All SWAG's. But, you go!!
LOL... typical response of the 5 year old mentality that WoW brings to this board. Someone else brings a coherent response that doesn't agree with his and he assumes an alias or the people are friends, ignoring obvious cues that dispute both those idiotic theories.... "but you go"....

JSR
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:59 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: It's pure numbers not speculation when you have a national school fanbase of over 100,000 versus a schoolo with a national fanbase of about 10,000. What is it about those numbers that do not make sense to you?
I assume that what you are trying to imply is that because a school has a bigger fan base, that naturally corresponds to many more paying butts in the seats for any given sport.

Because it exists in a crowd, it must therefore be popular. Right? Wrong!!

I present to you...............the WNBA.
What are you talking about?? Wow, really just, wow... could you be anymore incoherent?

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

JSR wrote:
WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: It's pure numbers not speculation when you have a national school fanbase of over 100,000 versus a schoolo with a national fanbase of about 10,000. What is it about those numbers that do not make sense to you?
I assume that what you are trying to imply is that because a school has a bigger fan base, that naturally corresponds to many more paying butts in the seats for any given sport.

Because it exists in a crowd, it must therefore be popular. Right? Wrong!!

I present to you...............the WNBA.
What are you talking about?? Wow, really just, wow... could you be anymore incoherent?
It's tough for you to keep pace, isn't it?
That's okay.
I'll try to take things slower and spell them out for you, next time Tiger...........er..........I mean JSR.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Some of us have lives Wayout. Let me spell this out - You have made Z-E-R-O sense during this whole argument.

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6862
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Post by east hockey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Looks like you guys picked up where you left off on the WCHA, no more thread, huh?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

PuckU126
Posts: 3768
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:51 am

east hockey wrote:Looks like you guys picked up where you left off on the WCHA, no more thread, huh?

Lee
:lol:

Keep the thread open, Lee. Let me eat my popcorn and watch the drama continue to unfold.

8)
The Puck
LGW

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:46 am

Tigers33 wrote:Some of us have lives Wayout. Let me spell this out - You have made Z-E-R-O sense during this whole argument.
Your lack of comprehension is NOT an valid assessment of "sense."
And an "argument" requires two cogent opinions. Sorry, yours does not qualify.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 am

Puck - Good idea with the popcorn. I am going to sit back and have some too. Sometimes I am not even sure he knows what he is saying. I think he is one of those people that likes to listen to himself talk.

Lee...keep this open.

He just validated my comment about him making zero sense.

JSR
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Post by JSR » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 pm

I'm done. I brought facts and logic and sense to a really good topic of discussion. WoW brought his usual nonsense. I'm done but keep it open I love watching WoW reply.

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

JSR wrote:I'm done. I brought facts and logic and sense to a really good topic of discussion. WoW brought his usual nonsense. I'm done but keep it open I love watching WoW reply.
:lol: :shock: :lol:
Sure you did.
And apparently you deem a "good topic of conversation" one in which everyone agrees with you.
Makes sense, if you're intellectually challenged. :oops:
Keep watching. You may learn something. A synapse is bound to fire one of these days. Keep the faith. ](*,)

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 pm

JSR wrote:I'm done. I brought facts and logic and sense to a really good topic of discussion. WoW brought his usual nonsense. I'm done but keep it open I love watching WoW reply.
By the way, the only thing more embarassing than your attempts at "logic and sense" is posting as multiple aliases, in a futile attempt to fortify your stance.

Your posting tactics are as amusing as your opinions:

Need evidence?:

JSR - November 11th - 11:41 a.m.
Tigers33 - November 11th - 2:39 p.m.

JSR - November 22nd - 10:27 a.m.
Tigers33 - November 22nd - 10:36 a.m.

JSR - December 14th - 1:52 p.m.
Tigers33 - December 14th - 4:08 p.m.

JSR - December 15th - 11:12 a.m. + others
Tigers33 - December 15th - 8:35 a.m. + others

JSR - December 16th - 12:35 p.m.
Tigers33 - December 16th - 8:12 a.m.


:oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D :oops: :oops: :oops:

karl(east)
Posts: 6118
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Image

PuckU126
Posts: 3768
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Image

8)
The Puck
LGW

east hockey
Site Admin
Posts: 6862
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:33 pm
Location: Proctor, MN
Contact:

Post by east hockey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote:I'm done. I brought facts and logic and sense to a really good topic of discussion. WoW brought his usual nonsense. I'm done but keep it open I love watching WoW reply.
By the way, the only thing more embarassing than your attempts at "logic and sense" is posting as multiple aliases, in a futile attempt to fortify your stance.

Your posting tactics are as amusing as your opinions:

Need evidence?:

JSR - November 11th - 11:41 a.m.
Tigers33 - November 11th - 2:39 p.m.

JSR - November 22nd - 10:27 a.m.
Tigers33 - November 22nd - 10:36 a.m.

JSR - December 14th - 1:52 p.m.
Tigers33 - December 14th - 4:08 p.m.

JSR - December 15th - 11:12 a.m. + others
Tigers33 - December 15th - 8:35 a.m. + others

JSR - December 16th - 12:35 p.m.
Tigers33 - December 16th - 8:12 a.m.


:oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D :oops: :oops: :oops:
I would say Sherlock Holmes' job is safe here. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm

This stuff is hilarious!!

PuckU126
Posts: 3768
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Image

8)
The Puck
LGW

BodyShots
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:10 am

Tigers33 wrote: You two are Mr. negatice when it comes to most things on this board...You two are the two dads that love to complain in the stands all the time :)
Who are you referring too? WoW is #1, who is #2?

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am

mulefarm

Locked