Hobey Baker Award

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

VoteHobey

Hobey Baker Award

Post by VoteHobey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Who do you think will win The Hobey?

Spencer Abbott – University of Maine
Jack Connolly – University of Minnesota-Duluth
Brian Dumoulin – Boston College
Troy Grosenick – Union College
Shawn Hunwick – University of Michigan
Tim Kirby – Air Force Academy
Torey Krug – Michigan State University
Justin Schultz – University of Wisconsin
Austin Smith – Colgate University
Reilly Smith – Miami University

http://VoteHobey.com

Sats81

Re: Hobey Baker Award

Post by Sats81 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:23 am

VoteHobey wrote:Who do you think will win The Hobey?

Brian Dumoulin – Boston College
Troy Grosenick – Union College
Shawn Hunwick – University of Michigan
Tim Kirby – Air Force Academy
Torey Krug – Michigan State University
Justin Schultz – University of Wisconsin
Reilly Smith – Miami University

http://VoteHobey.com
Would be nice to see Connolly or Kirby win it, I will go with Abbott though.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 am

He probably will not win it because of his teams record but in reality Justin Schultz SHOULD win the Hobey Baker. I don't think it is even arguable that he is far and away the best player in college hockey right now and the Hobey is supposed to be the best player in the game more or less NOT the best player on a really good team, which is what it's unfortunately turned into (sort of like the Heisman in football)

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

JSR wrote:He probably will not win it because of his teams record but in reality Justin Schultz SHOULD win the Hobey Baker. I don't think it is even arguable that he is far and away the best player in college hockey right now and the Hobey is supposed to be the best player in the game more or less NOT the best player on a really good team, which is what it's unfortunately turned into (sort of like the Heisman in football)
Amen. Agreed.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Agreed here also...Schultz would be an excellent choice.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:52 pm

The 2012 Hobey Baker Memorial HAT TRICK Finalists:
(In Alphabetical Order)

http://votehobey.com/

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:The 2012 Hobey Baker Memorial HAT TRICK Finalists:
(In Alphabetical Order)

The fact that Schultz is not in the final three doesn't seem right. A defenseman with 44 points, lead his team with 16 goals (yep outscored all of his forwards), was +11 in plus/minus and was the best player on the ice every single game he played in (FYI better numbers than what Gilroy had when he won as a defenseman). Finished first amongst defenseman in the WCHA in scoring and 10th overall. He leads the nation’s defensemen with 16 goals, 44 points and a 1.19 points-per-game scoring average and was two time WCHA defensive player of the year. Now hockey is the ultimate team sport and the Badgers weren't consistant enough this year for the team to have a better record but the Hobey is not supposed to be about team record, it's an individual award. Not being in the hat trick doesn't sit well considering who did get included....

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

I think there is no doubt Connolly and Spencer Abbott deserve to be in the Hobey Hat Trick. Leading scorers that had their teams winning games and led them to the NCAAs. Smith certainly didn't have the team success to sell but 36 goals in a season is a pretty big number to overlook. Tough call. On talent, there is no doubt Schultz is among the top options.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm

JSR wrote:
(In Alphabetical Order)

The fact that Schultz is not in the final three doesn't seem right. A defenseman with 44 points, lead his team with 16 goals (yep outscored all of his forwards), was +11 in plus/minus and was the best player on the ice every single game he played in (FYI better numbers than what Gilroy had when he won as a defenseman). Finished first amongst defenseman in the WCHA in scoring and 10th overall. He leads the nation’s defensemen with 16 goals, 44 points and a 1.19 points-per-game scoring average and was two time WCHA defensive player of the year. Now hockey is the ultimate team sport and the Badgers weren't consistant enough this year for the team to have a better record but the Hobey is not supposed to be about team record, it's an individual award. Not being in the hat trick doesn't sit well considering who did get included....
The Hobey is supposed to be about more than just purely hockey performance. I know nothing about Schultz as a man, but have there been any issues with him? Academics? Character?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm

JSR wrote:The fact that Schultz is not in the final three doesn't seem right.
Schultz was my choice as well.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Frattin was the best player last year and Schultz was the best player this year. For Schultz not being in the top three, really show the politics in this award!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Frattin getting in trouble with the law a few times prior to last season probably didn't help his cause either. Voters likely remember those kinds of things as a part of their decision making process.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:Frattin getting in trouble with the law a few times prior to last season probably didn't help his cause either. Voters likely remember those kinds of things as a part of their decision making process.
Probably true about Frattin, but he still made the top 3, absolutely no excuse for Schultz, and should have been the top choice!

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:Frattin getting in trouble with the law a few times prior to last season probably didn't help his cause either. Voters likely remember those kinds of things as a part of their decision making process.
Bingo.

If he didn't get into trouble, maybe there may have been a different outcome. We'll never know.

Some people actually thought he was going to receive the award based on the fact that he cleaned himself up to make it back onto the team and him as a player (statistically); however, like what you said, Gopher, voters likely make their decisions based on the players past and present.

Schultz on the other hand... I'm surprised he wasn't in the final three.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 pm

We're in WCHA country so it is natural to look along those lines. No doubt Schultz is very worthy of being top 3. But the three that are in it have a very good argument as well.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:41 pm

C-dad wrote:
JSR wrote:
(In Alphabetical Order)

The Hobey is supposed to be about more than just purely hockey performance. I know nothing about Schultz as a man, but have there been any issues with him? Academics? Character?
The kid is a model student and has great character. Also wore the "A" this season for the Badgers. None of that stuff that some guys have going on. I think the ONLY thing that kept him out was politics. The Badgers team record wasn't great but I think it's more than that here, I mean otherwise no excuse, Schultz should have been in this top 3
Last edited by JSR on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:We're in WCHA country so it is natural to look along those lines. No doubt Schultz is very worthy of being top 3. But the three that are in it have a very good argument as well.
Not trying to take away from the other three guys but were the other three guys definitively THE BEST player at their position all year. Were the other three guys considered the best NHL prospect in college hockey all year. Those three have good arguments but to me none of them were as good as Schultz's argument.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm

JSR wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:We're in WCHA country so it is natural to look along those lines. No doubt Schultz is very worthy of being top 3. But the three that are in it have a very good argument as well.
Not trying to take away from the other three guys but were the other three guys definitively THE BEST player at their position all year. Were the other three guys considered the best NHL prospect in college hockey all year. Those three have good arguments but to me none of them were as good as Schultz's argument.[/quote

I don't think being considered the best NHL prospect has anything to do with who wins the award. I remember a few years ago when Ryan Duncan from UND won the award. It was very widely accepted that he was someone who would most likely not get to play in the NHL.

Everything else you said is hard to disagree with though.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

JSR wrote:Not trying to take away from the other three guys but were the other three guys definitively THE BEST player at their position all year. Were the other three guys considered the best NHL prospect in college hockey all year. Those three have good arguments but to me none of them were as good as Schultz's argument.
I actually wouldn't have a beef if Schultz was in the final three. But I don't think he has any better of an overall case than the other three guys either.

I don't think he deserves it more than either Connolly or Smith (36 goals is a lot no matter where you play). And it is tough to ignore the leading point scorer in college hockey. I'm sure the team success variable plays a role for some voters too.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Being an NHL prospect has NOTHING to do with the award

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm

warriors41 wrote:
JSR wrote:
Not trying to take away from the other three guys but were the other three guys definitively THE BEST player at their position all year. Were the other three guys considered the best NHL prospect in college hockey all year. Those three have good arguments but to me none of them were as good as Schultz's argument.[/quote

I don't think being considered the best NHL prospect has anything to do with who wins the award. I remember a few years ago when Ryan Duncan from UND won the award. It was very widely accepted that he was someone who would most likely not get to play in the NHL.

Everything else you said is hard to disagree with though.
You are right. The NHL prospect thing had nothing to do with it and probably should not ever have anything to do with it. But the other stuff I stand by.
I don't think he deserves it more than either Connolly or Smith (36 goals is a lot no matter where you play). And it is tough to ignore the leading point scorer in college hockey. I'm sure the team success variable plays a role for some voters too.
I think the leading point getter in the NCAA probably deserves to be in the hat trick but IMHO what Schultz did from his position at defense was harder to do than winning the NCAA scoring title, especially this year, again JMHO. Team success probably had something to do with it

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Congratulations to UMD's Jack Connolly for being named the 2012 Hobey Baker Award winner.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/04/06/minneso ... ker-award/

8)
The Puck
LGW

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Way to go, Jack! Five Hobeys for the Dogs. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006