D1 Coaching Changes

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

D1 Coaching Changes

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 pm

This is the first one that I've seen:

Jutting out after 12 seasons as head coach at Minnesota State
http://www.uscho.com/2012/04/01/jutting ... z1qqohm9Lg

Jutting Relieved of Coaching Duties at Minnesota State
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... aching.php

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 pm

How does Mike Guentzel sound as the next Maverick head coach?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:43 pm

mulefarm wrote:How does Mike Guentzel sound as the next Maverick head coach?
Don't even think about it! Can't have him! :wink:

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:02 pm

mulefarm wrote:How does Mike Guentzel sound as the next Maverick head coach?
He won't be.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

I would be shocked if Mike Guentzel or Cary Eades had any interest in the job.

It would not surprise me to see someone like Hartzell or Podein show interest. Would Mankato be a step up from the Tech job...or step down :)

I think the new WCHA in a few years will play a part in who shows interest.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 am

Tigers33 wrote:I would be shocked if Mike Guentzel or Cary Eades had any interest in the job.

It would not surprise me to see someone like Hartzell or Podein show interest. Would Mankato be a step up from the Tech job...or step down :)

I would guess that you would have to significantly increase the level of University resources committed to the program, to get either of those two to even consider it. They both appear to have time to wait out the current head coach at their respective programs.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:48 am

Puckguy19 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:I would be shocked if Mike Guentzel or Cary Eades had any interest in the job.

I would guess that you would have to significantly increase the level of University resources committed to the program, to get either of those two to even consider it. They both appear to have time to wait out the current head coach at their respective programs.
At least one of those two are interested in it.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... up/Sports/

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 am

So, you're shocked, right?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 am

auld_skool wrote:

Eades was the one bigger name assistant coach (or in his case, associate head coach) that I could see leaving. Mainly because Hakstol is pretty entrenched and hasn't been around as long as a Lucia or a Blais. Eades would likely have a much longer wait for Hakstol to leave than what Guentzel or Hastings would have with their current employers.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
auld_skool wrote:

Eades was the one bigger name assistant coach (or in his case, associate head coach) that I could see leaving. Mainly because Hakstol is pretty entrenched and hasn't been around as long as a Lucia or a Blais. Eades would likely have a much longer wait for Hakstol to leave than what Guentzel or Hastings would have with their current employers.
It might not be that bad of a job for him. Keep in mind that this would be his first head coaching job in college. You have to start somewhere. In the new WCHA, a lot of the old powerhouses will be gone. They wouldn't have a lot of top tier competition to get through the conference and to the NCAA tournament. Plus, being a former high school coach and an associate head coach at UND for so long, he has relationships with other high school coaches and players know who he is. This might be enough to help his recruiting. I don't think he'll get the same caliber players as the U of M or UND, but he could compete with SCSU for kids. I think it would be an interesting fit if he got the job.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am

No question that Mankato's next coach needs to be a great recruiter. Among other things of course but being right in MN and so close to the Twin Cities he needs to be REALLY good. No reason they shouldn't be competitive every year.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

auld_skool wrote:No question that Mankato's next coach needs to be a great recruiter. Among other things of course but being right in MN and so close to the Twin Cities he needs to be REALLY good. No reason they shouldn't be competitive every year.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Jutting was able to get his players to play big against good teams most of the time (close games with the Goph's this year and swept them last year), but his recruiting seemed somewhat lazy. The Minnesota guys are good players, but usually players who were passed over by the other MN schools first. The new coach needs to be on top of his recruiting and give them a reason to CHOOSE Mankato, not play there as a last resort.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

I couldnt disagree with you more. Mankato is at best 5th in the recruiting battle when it comes to top minnesotans. The top 4 not in any order are: Minnesota, UMD, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. Than after that you have a group of three teams that include St. Cloud St., Bemidji St, and Mankato St.

Therefore who ever they get is going to have to win the battle for recruiting with those other two programs, and even lump UNO into that group. The coach will have to understand they probably arent going to get the best players, but will have to find those 20 year old freshman that are hitting their prime. The coach will have to win with hard work, grit, physical play, and a garbage style of hockey. Out work the opponents.

They are going to have to find those players that got looked over, but have lots to offer. Try and keep those kids in Minnesota that venture to Michigan-Ohio-Colorado-and out east.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Tigers33 wrote:I couldnt disagree with you more. Mankato is at best 5th in the recruiting battle when it comes to top minnesotans. The top 4 not in any order are: Minnesota, UMD, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. Than after that you have a group of three teams that include St. Cloud St., Bemidji St, and Mankato St.

Therefore who ever they get is going to have to win the battle for recruiting with those other two programs, and even lump UNO into that group. The coach will have to understand they probably arent going to get the best players, but will have to find those 20 year old freshman that are hitting their prime. The coach will have to win with hard work, grit, physical play, and a garbage style of hockey. Out work the opponents.

They are going to have to find those players that got looked over, but have lots to offer. Try and keep those kids in Minnesota that venture to Michigan-Ohio-Colorado-and out east.
I agree a lot with what you said but not all the players who go to the three schools you mentioned are that low quality. I look at SCSU and they have some very talented players on their roster. I felt the really under achieved this year.

One other thing I'll throw in there is that a coach that can get a lot of wins with hard work, grit, physical play, and a garbage style of hockey can actually be very successful in a few years because all the schools that win with superior talent will be leaving the conference. I look to schools like Mankato and Bemidji State to really try to take their program to the next level and be the new WCHA powers that go to the NCAA tournament. Once you make a few tourneys your recruiting power will increase.

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Tigers33 wrote:I couldnt disagree with you more. Mankato is at best 5th in the recruiting battle when it comes to top minnesotans. The top 4 not in any order are: Minnesota, UMD, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. Than after that you have a group of three teams that include St. Cloud St., Bemidji St, and Mankato St.

What part of what you said was different than my post? I said that the Mankato recruits are the leftover players who don't get picked up by the other WCHA schools, and that Jutting was lazy in his recruiting. Juttin has gotten some 20 year old freshman from Canada from the AJHL but the new coach should look more for the BCHL if he is going to recruit Canadian players.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am

My point is that they arent going to get the elite talent in my opinion. So, it comes down to coaching. Not so much recruiting. They will continue to probably get the second wave or third wave of talent. Now it comes down to what the coaching staff does with that talent in my opinion. They have to find those players that havent quite peaked yet, and will be around for 4 years.

auld_skool

Post by auld_skool » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 am

Tigers33 wrote:...They have to find those players that haven't quite peaked yet, and will be around for 4 years.
You may be missing your own point here. You say " They have to find those players that haven't quite peaked yet, and will be around for 4 years. "

Isn't that the job of a good recruiter?

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Tigers33 wrote:My point is that they arent going to get the elite talent in my opinion. So, it comes down to coaching. Not so much recruiting. They will continue to probably get the second wave or third wave of talent. Now it comes down to what the coaching staff does with that talent in my opinion. They have to find those players that havent quite peaked yet, and will be around for 4 years.
In that aspect I agree. No matter who comes in as the new coach, the program does not have a winning tradition, makin it hard to get top level players. Not having played for Jutting, I can't make an accurate comment on his coaching style, but it's safe to say they are usually down towards the bottom of the WCHA year in and year out. Looking at the stats, there were a few players with 11 goals, but not a single 20 goal scorer. To be a winning team there needs to be a few players who are playing above average all season long, leading the team.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Just glad it wasn't Guentzel!

Hastings named head coach at Minnesota State Mankato
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/147462155.html

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am

Frederick: Hastings hire a serious signal from MSU

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x210 ... l-from-MSU

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Former Lincoln Stars coach hired as UNO aide