2013 / 2014 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

Worst Rink ever?

Post by blueblood » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Notre Dame's Compton Family Ice Arena is one of the best college hockey rinks in the NCAA.

Not sure what game you are watching DrGraf....

DrGaf

Re: Worst Rink ever?

Post by DrGaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:20 am

blueblood wrote:Notre Dame's Compton Family Ice Arena is one of the best college hockey rinks in the NCAA.

Wrong. Everything about the rink is wrong. It's just plain old ugly. Stupid dasher boards, stupid benches, stupid helmets. It looks like Braemar West's younger uglier cousin.

My mind is made up. We need to remove Notre Dame from the NCAA.

ATTICA! ATTICA!
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 am

DrGaf wrote:
blueblood wrote:Notre Dame's Compton Family Ice Arena is one of the best college hockey rinks in the NCAA.

Wrong. Everything about the rink is wrong. It's just plain old ugly. Stupid dasher boards, stupid benches, stupid helmets. It looks like Braemar West's younger uglier cousin.

ATTICA! ATTICA!
And the layout is wrong! They put the home benches on the side with the PBs and visitor bench across the rink. Either both should be on the same side as PB or neither!

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:56 pm

C-dad wrote:
DrGaf wrote:

ATTICA! ATTICA!
And the layout is wrong! They put the home benches on the side with the PBs and visitor bench across the rink. Either both should be on the same side as PB or neither!
*ding*ding*ding*

blueblood

RInk

Post by blueblood » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Home rink preference. Why do the benches need to be on the same side? The original Mariucci Arena had a similar layout.

DrGaf

Re: RInk

Post by DrGaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:11 pm

blueblood wrote:Home rink preference. Why do the benches need to be on the same side? The original Mariucci Arena had a similar layout.
Don't start trying to bring any logic in the equation here.

Notre Dame is a horrible team, horrible fans, horrible town, horrible rink.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

blueblood wrote:Home rink preference. Why do the benches need to be on the same side? The original Mariucci Arena had a similar layout.
It gives too great an advantage to the home team to be able to have their guy in the box just hop right to the bench and get his replacement into the play much quicker.

The old Mariucci was shoehorned into an existing structure a long time ago. Not comparable to a brand new building constructed for hockey. I am amazed team can get away with building-in such an advantage for the home team. No other sport would allow that.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 pm

C-dad wrote:
It gives too great an advantage to the home team to be able to have their guy in the box just hop right to the bench and get his replacement into the play much quicker.

The old Mariucci was shoehorned into an existing structure a long time ago. Not comparable to a brand new building constructed for hockey. I am amazed team can get away with building-in such an advantage for the home team. No other sport would allow that.
YEAH. what he said.

blueblood

Agganis Arena

Post by blueblood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 pm

BU's new rink has the same layout as ND's. So, is it horible too?

C-dad

Re: Agganis Arena

Post by C-dad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:20 am

blueblood wrote:BU's new rink has the same layout as ND's. So, is it horible too?
Yes.

DrGaf

Re: Agganis Arena

Post by DrGaf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:12 am

C-dad wrote:
blueblood wrote:BU's new rink has the same layout as ND's. So, is it horible too?
Yes.
Worse.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Worst power play I've seen in a long time from the Gophers this year!

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:57 am

BodyShots wrote:Worst power play I've seen in a long time from the Gophers this year!
It is dreadful. Amazing given the talent they show 5 on 5.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:37 am

C-dad wrote:
BodyShots wrote:Worst power play I've seen in a long time from the Gophers this year!
It is dreadful. Amazing given the talent they show 5 on 5.
You would think that just by default you would score more.

I'd suggest declining the penalties all together. Leave it 5 on 5.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Gopher PP... where do we begin... :?:

It begins with the top of the umbrella this year... Marshall is struggling badly. Not just PP either, he is having trouble in all facets of the game. For some reason he is having trouble skating, with puck control and turnovers, and his small size is getting him in trouble in front and behind the net...
In past years we have been lucky to have Nate Schmidt manning that umbrella point, which proved to be one of the best in the country.

Another reason is that we have a lot of young kids playing pivotable roles this year. They are doing well, but still lack expereince to make special teams go... My guess is that the PP, the younger kids, and Marshall will get better as the season moves on...

Let's not get me going on the penalty kill... weak side in front of the net has proved to be a coverage problem... i.e. Minnesota Duluth game #2...

Overall though, we Gopher fans have to be very pleased that this young team is playing well so far, and should, yes should, get better too. I believe that they are a little over rated at the moment, but they are a good team.
:D

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 pm

I think Schmitt, bjugstad, and haula are all missed on the pp. All three were capable of scoring from the perimeter of the umbrella. The perimeter this year on the top unit has been Marshall/Mikey Reilly, warning, and brodzinski/Connor Reilly. Not even comparable to the skill from last year.

Agree that Marshall has been struggling. I would actually like to see him get a day off.

blueblood

gophers

Post by blueblood » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 pm

BM needs a season off....

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Does Warning look like he doesn't care? He reminds me of Jordan Schroeder's 2nd year. Trying not to get hurt, rather then skate hard and get involved.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Agree that Marshall has been struggling. I would actually like to see him get a day off.
Coaches must have been listening to you, Tigers33. They gave him a day off on Friday, and to me it seemed the rest did him some good. I thought he came back and played his best game that he has in quite a while on Saturday.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 am

BodyShots wrote:Does Warning look like he doesn't care? He reminds me of Jordan Schroeder's 2nd year. Trying not to get hurt, rather then skate hard and get involved.
I agree with you Body... To those I talked to this weekend while watching the games, I mentioned that Warning looked a little lackluster... The Gopher upperclassmen need to pick up their games, as the freshman & sophmores are doing all the scoring, with exception of Ambroz. Condon, Warning & Rau are struggling to get points... Cammaratta needs to skate harder too. Just IMHO... They are young men finding their game in a very difficult schedule, so I do not want to appear critical, just some of the things I am observing...
I like how our young D are playing though. The loss of Parenteau will hurt D in D zone... Wilcox has been superb! Freshman forwards in general have been great!
This is a fun team to watch. Hope it carries through the season and they get better in March & April!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Marshall needed that night off badly. The loss of Parentau is gonna hurt more than I think people anticipate. With Brady likely playing in WJC during Mariucci classic, they will be down to 5 D. Very impressed with the play of Bischoff and Brodzy so far. Really like Brodzy on that 2nd pp unit. Kid can shoot the puck!

1st half of the season went pretty well. Obviously rankings mean zero right now, but hoping they continue to get better. Very happy with the offensive production of young forwards thus far.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:09 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote:I agree with you Body... To those I talked to this weekend while watching the games, I mentioned that Warning looked a little lackluster... The Gopher upperclassmen need to pick up their games, as the freshman & sophmores are doing all the scoring, with exception of Ambroz. Condon, Warning & Rau are struggling to get points... Cammarata needs to skate harder too. Just IMHO... They are young men finding their game in a very difficult schedule, so I do not want to appear critical, just some of the things I am observing...
I like how our young D are playing though. The loss of Parenteau will hurt D in D zone... Wilcox has been superb! Freshman forwards in general have been great!
This is a fun team to watch. Hope it carries through the season and they get better in March & April!
Agree 100% with everything you say here DmanDad. I'd add though that Rau's struggle to get points is in no way due to a lack of effort. If he keeps that up I think the points will come...maybe after the break we'll see some different line combinations?

I agree about Condon and especially Warning not looking as sharp - or as fast - as they did earlier. I'm hoping the break in the schedule will help rejuvenate both their legs and mental attitude...maybe breaking up that line would help in that regard too.

Also agree with your observation on Cammarata, who looks a little tentative since coming off that injury...

Again I think the break is coming at a good time for the entire team - should allow everybody to regroup and let the nagging aches and pains heal.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Lets not forget Rau and the great work that he always does in the d and neutral zones that often go unnoticed. He is also more than stellar on the draws and almost always wins the most important ones. IMO, he is definitely the undisputed leader and the best all around player on the team.

Condon needs to get it going, Warning does appear disinterested. They need him to go if they are gonna make a run at this thing.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Hopefully the series at Penn St. coming up goes better than Mariucci Classic. Colgate game was tough to watch.

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am

DrGaf wrote:

ATTICA! ATTICA!
I am no ND fan, in fact I love to see ND lose every chance I get... but as for the Compton FamilyIce Arena, gotta disagree with you there. Been there several times and it is one of THE nices ice arenas I have ever had the privilege of visiting. It's actually really quite beautiful. I just don't see how you can argue against that, I really don't? I am a Badger fan and I think the Kohl Center is a really good venue but Compton is better, it's not as big but its better :?