2013 / 2014 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

2013 / 2014 Gophers

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 am

Besides Helgy, who else won't be back next year?

Which of these new faces will get significant playing time?
Brodzinski
Cammarata
Fasching
Kloos
Lettieri
Nanne

What about guys like Horn and C. Reilly, who didn't get playing time this year? Will they be playing next year, or leaving for greener pastures?

Now that the High School season is over, its time to focus on the college game.

observer

Post by observer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am

Not sure Nanne (94) will be coming in next season. I believe another year in juniors could benefit him greatly.

You're missing Guertler (95), Fargo USHL, who I think will come in. Fasching's stats, 10th on his team, aren't as good as I would have thought. I now see Kloos (93), Cammarata (95) and Lettieri (95) ahead of Fasching (95).

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 am

I would say Alt and Bjugstad. Possibly gone would be Schmidt, Holl, Skiej and M Rielly.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I think helgy and bjugstad are the only two gone for sure. After that its anyone's guess. Like the don says if they are ready for the NHL then they should make the move. Bjugstad and Reilly are the only two that might actually be NHL ready, in my opinion. Argument could be made for haula, but look at all the youth the wild has right now.

Connor Reilly isn't going to "greener" pastures! He was hurt all year, duh!! And horn isn't going anywhere either since he chose this walk on option. And skjei can't even crack the top 6 d for the gophers right now...where would he go?

Bjugstad and helgeson both GONE
Haula and Reilly MAYBE

This is a group that wouldn't surprise me but should stay...
Budish, alt, and Schmitt.

Someone can take alt for all gopher fans truly care!

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:08 am

I see the # of forwards being the issue next year, like we are having with defense this year. I heard Don say Holl will be one of his six defensmen next year. So he pretty much replaces Helgy.

If Bjugstad leaves, and Holl moves back to defense, I see Kloos and Cammarata taking over the two open forward positions.

BTW, M. Reily is not ready for the next level. He needs another 15 - 20 pounds on his body. He is getting man handled in the defensive zone. Even to the point where he shies away from contact in the corners. Offensively, he is very talented and could make the move, but not defensively.

I don't know anything about Guertler, so not sure how he will fit into next years plans.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:20 am

My guess Holl will leave, can't see Chicago letting a 2nd round pick at D play forward and if he is moved back to D , playing limited minutes. Schmitt as a free agent will be very interesting, can pick a team that gives him the best chance of making the NHL and still has the leverage of coming back. Might to to good of opportunity for him to pass up!

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Was holl 2nd or 3rd rounder?

No chance he leaves! Remember he came in as true freshmen. He is still young. Plus, if Chicago was disappointed they would sign him now. They are probably fine with his development, and he goes to a top 4 d next year easily...he was the top pair last year with helgy.

Budish at the age of 30 might be gone too. Maybe just time to go to the Ahl...lots of question marks of who leaves and who doesn't.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Might be hard for Holl to move to top 4. I would say in the mind of the coaches he #8 this year. Don't see them losing 4 D.

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Bjugstad is long gone IMO.

Schmidt skated at a camp for a team out East in the off-season, but I still think he's a toss up for stay or leave. If offered a contract I doubt we'll see him back in the Maroon & Gold.

Haula will stay; look at the number of youngin's already with the Wild.

Why would anyone think that Alt will be leaving? What a joke. He as been one of our biggest liabilities on the back end this year.

I'm still baffled about where Parenteau fits in to the D situation next year. He's a great pair with Schmidt but I think Don wants Skjei out their with Schmidt to mold him a bit.

Here's my best guess as to lines next year:

Rau Haula Warning
Isaackson Condon Budish
Ambroz Boyd Serratore
R. Reilly Michaelson (C. Reilly, Cammarata, Kloos)

Schmidt Skjei
Marshall Alt
Parenteau (M. Reilly, Holl)

Cox

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 am

Article in the star trib says more then likely the wild will sign haula at the end of the season.

Gone: haula, bjugstad, helgeson

More to come...

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 pm

OldTimePuck00 wrote:Bjugstad is long gone IMO.

Schmidt skated at a camp for a team out East in the off-season, but I still think he's a toss up for stay or leave. If offered a contract I doubt we'll see him back in the Maroon & Gold.

Haula will stay; look at the number of youngin's already with the Wild.

Why would anyone think that Alt will be leaving? What a joke. He as been one of our biggest liabilities on the back end this year.

I'm still baffled about where Parenteau fits in to the D situation next year. He's a great pair with Schmidt but I think Don wants Skjei out their with Schmidt to mold him a bit.

Here's my best guess as to lines next year:

Rau Haula Warning
Isaackson Condon Budish
Ambroz Boyd Serratore
R. Reilly Michaelson (C. Reilly, Cammarata, Kloos)

Schmidt Skjei
Marshall Alt
Parenteau (M. Reilly, Holl)

Cox
Agree w/ Bjugstad gone.
Schmidt, like to see him stay, but agree if offered Contract, will go... Wild...? :D
Wild sign Haula? I dont think so. They have so many top prospects at Houston, and more coming from OHL & QMJL next year...
Alt had trouble in first half of year, still scares me with puck, but playing better in last month. Should stay. Cant see NHL club calling yet...
I dont know what it is, but I like Parenteau at D when he's there. Steady.
Cammarata & Kloos are both top 6 forwards at U! You will have revise your lines...
Forwards in trouble next year for playing time: Ambroz; Michaelson; Reily(s); Fasching; Horn; and maybe Isaakson... Have not been impressed with his play this year, first line has struggled w/ him there...
Just my observations.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:51 pm

USHL Scoring Stats - Future Gophers

#1 Cammarata 33 Goals 44 assists = 77 points
#2 Kloos 24 goals 48 assists = 72 pts
#24 Vinnie Letteri 21 goals 27 assists = 48 pts
#26 Gabe Guertler 29 goals 18 assists = 47 pts

#199 Hudson Fasching 3 goals 5 assists = 8 pts Uh oh... only 21 games too...

From Chris Heisenberg NCAA College Recruiting website, Gophers are getting Letteri & Guertler next year as well, which means trouble for the forwards I listed above, will have to pick up game next year to crack skating time!
D - Brodzinski is coming too... More time to divide up there as well...

It will be very interesting w/ this talent coming in next year... Should be fun for awhile :!: :D

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Dman...you named 7 forwards in trouble of playing time. Lol!!!

Ryan Reilly, aj Michaelson, and horn may have a hard time finding ice time.

Isaackson, ambroz, and Connor Reilly will be just fine. Connor had top 6 potential before he got hurt.

The article says all signs point to haula signing with wild. The Finnish team rumored to be interested in him is probably putting pressure on the wild. I see him leaving for Houston.

bemused

Post by bemused » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

BodyShots wrote:
BTW, M. Reily is not ready for the next level. He needs another 15 - 20 pounds on his body. He is getting man handled in the defensive zone. Even to the point where he shies away from contact in the corners. Offensively, he is very talented and could make the move, but not defensively.
i wondered if anybody would ever bring this up..my kid and i count the number of times per game he avoids going in the corner first..i watched Guentzel light him up for it one night at Mariucci...amazing to see somebody get away with it at this level..he was a little better at World Juniors..

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Kloos and Cammaratta will both be top 6 forwards next yr, and probably would have been this year as well. Both have all world offensive talent.

Sounds like Lettieri will play another year of juniors in Lincoln. Fasching has been a dissapointment and IMO Ann Arbor was not the right choice for him. I don't think he has progressed as most expected.

Bjugstad is gone, no doubt. Florida can have him. Does he have a heart? Obviously Helegeson is a Sr so he is as well. I think its a toss up regarding Haula and Schmidt on whether they leave. Mike Reilly, for all the offensive talent he has, is NOT ready for the NHL. I think he needs at least 2 more years in college. Alt is a unique situation. While I agree that he is not NHL ready (and have a hard time ever seeing him be NHL ready) is one of those guys that I could see going to play in the AHL after this season. It may fit his style of play/size/abilities better than the college game.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Sats81 wrote:Bjugstad is gone, no doubt. Florida can have him. Does he have a heart? Obviously Helegeson is a Sr so he is as well. I think its a toss up regarding Haula and Schmidt on whether they leave. Mike Reilly, for all the offensive talent he has, is NOT ready for the NHL. I think he needs at least 2 more years in college. Alt is a unique situation. While I agree that he is not NHL ready (and have a hard time ever seeing him be NHL ready) is one of those guys that I could see going to play in the AHL after this season. It may fit his style of play/size/abilities better than the college game.
No doubt Bjugstad has been struggling lately. I think both goals scored on Friday were with him on the ice.

Two obvious kinks in his armor.

1. Battling for pucks along the boards. With his size, he should win more of these battles. You watch Budish, and he very rarely loses a battle for the puck along the boards. Bjugstad on the other hand loses most.

2. Breakaways. Over the last few weeks, Bjugstad has had at least four breakaways and got nothing. My suggestion: skate over toward the left side board and let her rip. Just like you do on the power play. It seems to be the only way he scores now a days.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Sats since you always know more then everyone else...if kloos was a top 6 forward this year then why isn't he in mn? Who would he and cammarta replace in the top 6.

The lines should be...
Budish - bjugstad - rau
Condon - haula - warning
Serratore - Boyd - ambroz
Holl - isaackson - parenteau

No way either would replace a top 6 forward...next year cause 2-3 of the top 6 will be gone.

Bjugstad not have heart?? Do you watch the game...he works as hard ad anyone out there.

Budish on the other hand is a lug of dog crap that gets nothing accomplished. Budish might go to the Ahl cause Olympic sheet doesn't fit his game.

Bjugstad, haula, helgy all gone
Schmidt, alt, budish all a maybe

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:41 pm

People expect a lot from bjugstad but 5 on 5 he plays with isaackson and rau. Isaackson is not a 1st liner...don't kid yourself. And rau works his tail off but he doesn't have kristo/knight talent. Rau benefits playing with bjugstad...i dont know if bjugstad benefits playing with rau. Imagine bjugstad's points if he played with haula... Like und does with kristo and knight.

I think the is all about "team" which is why nobody made the top 10 hobey list.

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 am

I said it at the beginning of the year and I'll say it again: who is gonna be the Mattson of this years team? NO ONE. The Gophers seem to have a 'too-big-to-lose' mentality at times and it showed on Friday when they got lulled to sleep by CC.

I agree that Isaackson is not top-line material. I'd be curious to see what Bjugstad and Warning centered by Haula would be like but I doubt we'll get to see it. I suppose that would make the second line Rau - Budish - Condon? It wouldn't be the worst. I don't think Haula leaves this year. If Granlund got sent back to JUNIORS - that clearly says there's not much extra space either in St. Paul or Houston.

For as deceptive a statistic as it is, Alt leads the team in +/-, yet I still have mini-heat-attacks when he has the puck in our zone or starts bobbling it at the point in the 0-zone. How did his rights end up with Philly, I thought he was Canes property?

I'm excited to see Kloos & Cammaratta next year, they're both quite small so hopefully they've got some grit like Rau! Who's this Guertler kid, where did he come from?

observer

Post by observer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 am

Guertler is from Florida. He's small and fast. He's played two season's in Fargo-USHL and has played with the NTDP in a tournament or two.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usaho ... &id=306428

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/t ... sonid=9358

I think he's behind Kloos, Cammarata and Lettieri but is a dynamic player with a little edge.

OldTimePuck00

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am

observer wrote:Guertler is from Florida. He's small and fast. He's played two season's in Fargo-USHL and has played with the NTDP in a tournament or two.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usaho ... &id=306428

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/t ... sonid=9358

I think he's behind Kloos, Cammarata and Lettieri but is a dynamic player with a little edge.
Sounds promising. Hopefully those four don't end up being duds. Ahem, Hudson Fasching...

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Sats since you always know more then everyone else...if kloos was a top 6 forward this year then why isn't he in mn? Who would he and cammarta replace in the top 6.

The lines should be...
Budish - bjugstad - rau
Condon - haula - warning
Serratore - Boyd - ambroz
Holl - isaackson - parenteau

No way either would replace a top 6 forward...next year cause 2-3 of the top 6 will be gone.

Bjugstad not have heart?? Do you watch the game...he works as hard ad anyone out there.

Budish on the other hand is a lug of dog crap that gets nothing accomplished. Budish might go to the Ahl cause Olympic sheet doesn't fit his game.

Bjugstad, haula, helgy all gone
Schmidt, alt, budish all a maybe
The reason Kloos isn't here this year is because Bjugstad came back. Bringing him in was contingent upon whether or not Bjugstad went to Florida.

Have you ever watched Kloos or Cammaratta play? They are phenomenal talents, who would both fit and will be top 6 next season.

Bjugstad works harder than anyone out there hah? Maybe I need to actually watch the games....I knew something was missing! I'm the one who knows everything? Seems like that is reserved for you pal.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I think condon could be the matson...in my opinion but Lucia keeps moving him around.

I agree those two have potential to be top 6 next year but you said this year...that's different.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Budish on the other hand is a lug of dog crap that gets nothing accomplished. Budish might go to the Ahl cause Olympic sheet doesn't fit his game.
Man, that's a little harsh.... I like Budish. He's willing to do the dirty work in the corners to set up Haula and Warning. Without him, that line would not accomplish much in the offensive zone.

Watch the game Tiger. See how many times Haula and Warning just dump the puck into Zach's corner and have him go win the battle for the puck, while they sit on top of the circles waiting for him to set them up.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 pm

As physically gifted as Bjugstad is, and as much ice time he gets, it's hard to imagine he has only scored 10 even strength goals and is only a +5 for the season and is a -3 in WCHA games. May turn out to be a great pro, but I would say a good college career, not a great one.