2013 / 2014 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Another lackluster performance by gophers vs a lowly penn st team last night. All 3 goals scored by d-men. Thought this team was gonna have a lot more offensive firepower. Are warning and condon even on the team anymore?

These guys need to get going.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:00 pm

How'd they do last night?

C-dad
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by C-dad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Tigers33 wrote:How'd they do last night?
They won 5-2 and were still lackluster. :wink:

In first place in B1G, ranked first in the polls, first in the PWR. But still short of our expectations! :lol:

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:11 pm

I meant in particular condon and warning.

DrGaf
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Post by DrGaf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:28 pm

C-dad wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:How'd they do last night?
They won 5-2 and were still lackluster. :wink:

In first place in B1G, ranked first in the polls, first in the PWR. But still short of our expectations! :lol:
typical Minnesota hockey snobs.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6487
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Tigers33 wrote:I meant in particular condon and warning.
Great to see Warning snap a 14 game scoring drought with two goals yesterday. Hopefully that will get him going again...

Also even Nate Condon scored a goal. Again, hopefully that will change his outlook and he can finally get untracked.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:I meant in particular condon and warning.
Great to see Warning snap a 14 game scoring drought with two goals yesterday. Hopefully that will get him going again...

Also even Nate Condon scored a goal. Again, hopefully that will change his outlook and he can finally get untracked.
Yes. Offensive production from 2nd line (warning getting 2 and condon 1-although not positive condon got that one) had everything to do with moving Kloos back to the middle. Condon can't play center. Kloos is a very dynamic offensive player and is a natural center, not to mention THE hardest working guy on the ice. Anyone who plays with him is gonna get chances all night. Warning could have had 5 last night. I think that line would be a lot better off without condon and having letierri or Guertler up there.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Should be a good series this weekend. Ohio St can score and is playing good hockey lately.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6487
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Sats81 wrote:Should be a good series this weekend. Ohio St can score and is playing good hockey lately.
I thought the Gophers played some of their best hockey of the season on Saturday. Good to see Warning doing so well again, and Condon too.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Should be a good series this weekend. Ohio St can score and is playing good hockey lately.
I thought the Gophers played some of their best hockey of the season on Saturday. Good to see Warning doing so well again, and Condon too.
Both need to be more consistent. They are both x factors for this team doing damage in NCAAs.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6487
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Sats81 wrote:Both need to be more consistent. They are both x factors for this team doing damage in NCAAs.
Agreed. We'll see if they can keep it up.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Both need to be more consistent. They are both x factors for this team doing damage in NCAAs.
Agreed. We'll see if they can keep it up.
I think with 25 playing between them and being the pesky little catalyst that he is it will only help Warning.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6487
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Sats81 wrote:I think with 25 playing between them and being the pesky little catalyst that he is it will only help Warning.
He sure has been fun to watch this year. Sure hope he stays around for all four years.

If I had to guess I would say the three players most likely to leave early would be Skjei, M. Reilly and Fasching. I hope each of them stays AT LEAST one more year. If they do the team could be REAL special next season (as if they already aren't lol).

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:42 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:I think with 25 playing between them and being the pesky little catalyst that he is it will only help Warning.
He sure has been fun to watch this year. Sure hope he stays around for all four years.

If I had to guess I would say the three players most likely to leave early would be Skjei, M. Reilly and Fasching. I hope each of them stays AT LEAST one more year. If they do the team could be REAL special next season (as if they already aren't lol).
25 is the real deal. A proven scorer at every level he has ever played at, despite questions about his size (which has affected him in no way at all negatively). I think he will be a 4 year guy. I think you are correct on the next 3 leaving. I am confident Fasching will stay at least another year. Not so sure about Brady and M. Reilly. I think the young guys are committed to winning a national championship and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win more than 1 in their 4 years.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Gophers got BADgers starting tonight. BADgers much improved from last time they played. I would obviously love to see a sweep, but think a split will likely happen. Again, still don't think Gophers are performing to their abilities offensively, especially after only getting 1 goal last sat night vs Sparty.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Another 1 goal performance by Gophers last night in a classic "BADgers" 2-1 win. Have seen that movie before with Wisco.

I am not harping on Gophs as they have had a heck of a season so far, but they need to absolutely muster more than 1 measly goal a game with all their offensive talent if they expect to go anywhere. They simply can't rely on Wilcox to save them night in and night out. When a goalie is giving up 2 or less goals every night you should expect to win the games.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Let's keep in mind Wisconsin was picked to win the big ten.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Let's keep in mind Wisconsin was picked to win the big ten.
Being picked and actually winning it are 2 completely different things. It's like being picked in the draft and actually playing in the show. You have a bunch of computer nerds analyzing data and taking zero intangibles into play and spitting out a worthless prediction.

How many teams that are "picked" to win a conf, state, natty title etc actually end up winning? That would be an interesting stat. They will never do that though because there is zero accountability in the media anyway.

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Tough loss to Bucky...

Gophers are having trouble putting puck away, that is undeniable, but something that came across to me last night watching is the huge number of shots that this Gopher team has blocked... Bucky did a good job blocking shots, but this happens every game to the Gophers...
They need to shoot more, but also find a way to get the puck all the way to the net, better shooting angles, thus increasing those "dirty" goal opportunities!

In Dzone, too many times we leave opponents all alone by Wilcox. Wilcox has been outstanding, but our small Dcore seem to let men free around the net.. i.e. Simonelli & McCabe both were left all alone and created goals... McCabe had all day. Tough goal to give up, nothing Wilcox could do, but try to cut angle, he did, nice shot...

Let's avoid the sweep tonight!

C-dad
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by C-dad » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 pm

DmanDad1980 wrote: In Dzone, too many times we leave opponents all alone by Wilcox. Wilcox has been outstanding, but our small Dcore seem to let men free around the net.. i.e. Simonelli & McCabe both were left all alone and created goals... McCabe had all day. Tough goal to give up, nothing Wilcox could do, but try to cut angle, he did, nice shot...

Let's avoid the sweep tonight!
McCabe should have been covered by a winger in that case. The d-men were occupied and our left wing (Warning) was floating with no BADger near him. Simonelli was at the point on the PP, not sure how or why any d-man would go out there.

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 pm

First goal, there was a Badger standing on top of Wilcox, no Gopher on the guy, thought that was Simonelli with a tip-in... my mistake.

Second goal, there was one Badger in front of McCabe, taking two Gopher Dmen, mistake Gophers... McCabe walked from behind goal line to front, with too much time and space... To your point, wingers usually have points, DMen (two on one Badger...) should also have had center support... Do not recall what center was on ice though...

Observed too many times this year, where free passes have been given to opponents skating to the front of the net... Thank you Mr. Wilcox for the low scoring games...

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:11 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:First goal, there was a Badger standing on top of Wilcox, no Gopher on the guy, thought that was Simonelli with a tip-in... my mistake.

Second goal, there was one Badger in front of McCabe, taking two Gopher Dmen, mistake Gophers... McCabe walked from behind goal line to front, with too much time and space... To your point, wingers usually have points, DMen (two on one Badger...) should also have had center support... Do not recall what center was on ice though...

Observed too many times this year, where free passes have been given to opponents skating to the front of the net... Thank you Mr. Wilcox for the low scoring games...
No doubt there! Best player on team!

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 am

My point is losing to Wisconsin ranked around 10th in the country 2-1 in their building isn't the worst thing in the world. That's what you are making out to be.

According to hockey fans in this state the gophers have zero room for error.

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 am

Tigers33 wrote:My point is losing to Wisconsin ranked around 10th in the country 2-1 in their building isn't the worst thing in the world. That's what you are making out to be.

According to hockey fans in this state the gophers have zero room for error.
All good Tiger... I was referencing C-Dad comment w/ Gopher Dzone coverage around Wilcox.

Yes. I suppose I do expect too much from the Gophers. Watching them for over 40 years does that...

Tonight. Same story, credit Badgers again for blocking so many shots again... Cant get shots to net. Until Ambrose chip in... :D

McCabe call had to be made. Head hunting on Rau.

Good to be 1-1 going into 3rd...

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 am

Same story... Gophers pressure, cant put away... Badgers one shot, Wilcox screened on shot, gopher dmen 5 ft away... goal.

Post Reply