Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros

Post by BodyShots » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 am

Budish, Bjugstad, Haula, Alt, and Schmidt have all left for the pros with one season of eligibility remaining.

Is this a sign that they don't enjoy playing for the coaching staff, or is it the lure of the almighty $$$$$$, or maybe its just a sign that they are ready for the next level of play.

I could see the lure if you are going to be playing in the pros. But is this a wise decision if you are only going to the minor league affiliate?

The Exiled One

Re: Exitus of Gopher's Juniors to the Pros

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 am

BodyShots wrote:Budish, Bjugstad, Haula, Alt, and Schmidt have all left for the pros with one season of eligibility remaining.

Is this a sign that they don't enjoy playing for the coaching staff, or is it the lure of the almighty $$$$$$, or maybe its just a sign that they are ready for the next level of play.

I could see the lure if you are going to be playing in the pros. But is this a wise decision if you are only going to the minor league affiliate?
Budish graduated.
Bjugstad has already played in the NHL.

As for Haula, Alt, and Schmidt, you'd have to ask them. My guess would be that they weighed the money against the risk of a smaller offer or getting permanently injured next season (the money won). Also, it's not uncommon for college players to finish their degrees in the offseason (depending on the character of the player).

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 am

Schmidt was a free agent, so thats a no brainer. What if he gets hurt next year or something...he was the obvious choice.

The wild were probably getting pressured in case of a finnish elite team signing Haula. Plus he got 1st round money, the max, as a 7th round draft pick. Thats tough to turn down as well. I dont think he is far off from the NHL. Not this year, but it wouldnt surprise me if he gets a taste next year.

Alt...I think the AHL will suit him better. He seemed clumsy, and not very aggressive on the big sheet of ice.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm

The Exiled One wrote: Budish graduated.
I believe Zach graduates in May.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: Budish graduated.
I believe Zach graduates in May.
Sorry, that's what I meant. He had eligibility for next season, but he'd have been taking grad school classes. Coming back would've been a pretty silly move.

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 am

Also, this is a 2-year exodus in the making. With the strike shortened season, you weren't going to see many kids make that jump this last off-season.

I watched Bjudstad skate last night, he still looks big. Good for these guys, I hate seeing them go ... but good for them.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.