Skjei or M Reilly - Who makes it to the NHL first

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who makes it to the NHL first?

Brady Skjei
64%
Mike Reilly
36%

Total votes: 11

BodyShots

Skjei or M Reilly - Who makes it to the NHL first

Post by BodyShots » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Two excellent defensemen who have completely different skill sets. Who makes it to the big show first? The big tough defensemen who can skate like the wind, or the flashy defensemen with soft hands and can run a power play.

Sats81

Re: Skjei or M Reilly - Who makes it to the NHL first

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

BodyShots wrote:Two excellent defensemen who have completely different skill sets. Who makes it to the big show first? The big tough defensemen who can skate like the wind, or the flashy defensemen with soft hands and can run a power play.
Brady will. Reilly needs to add about 20 solid lbs before he can defend adequately in the show.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 pm

I agree with Sats. Brady is more physically prepared for the transition. If he keeps improving his ability with the puck (the skating and size have always been there), he'll be a fixture in the NHL.

Reilly needs more time to gain the requisite size. He is still pretty skinny.

nahc

Post by nahc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 am

After the games against North Dakota and Union, am not sure which one would be a better NHL defenseman. Neither are physical players who were taken to task in both games. Neither could clear out players in front of the net or be physical in the corners. Both are very good puck handlers, can rush the puck, and have good shots........ but if you are a defenseman, you had better be able to play defense. Totally understand that ND and Union are outstanding teams. IMO, the Gophs D was very much exposed.......

Lastly both are telented young D that will continue to improve!!!!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 am

Great points, nahc. I think as a No. 1 pick and the bigger, stronger player Skjei will probably be the first to go, but I don't think he's quite ready just yet. He needs to work on becoming more physical and using his size and strength....and Reilly, even more so. Both players are fun to watch and I hope they both return for at least one more year of "seasoning". With Holl and Parenteau both graduating, the Gophers could sure use them.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Neither one is ready. Agree a lot with what nahc has to say. Were talking about the NHL. The best players in the world. I realize there are always diff needs, timing, etc. but I have a hard time believing NYR would be encouraging Skjei to leave after his soph season when McDonagah (who was much further along in terms of his development than Brady is at this point ended up playing at Wisco for 3 years before turning pro).